#1 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:23 PM

Dear Noobs,

The assaults as you may know are your very best friends. They will move to get a center position in the main group and operate somewhat like a turret. You know they have heavy firepower but are not so very mobile like you in your lesser tonnage mech. Now the nice thing about this is that they can "facetrade" . You know: you shoot me, I shoot you. Also very nice for your team: the enemy will focus fire on your assaults. They see them as a big threat and beefy too. So you can easily use flanking tactics or use them as a shield ! They are okay with that !
But my dear noobs, what do you do in battle ? You see the enemy coming and immediately sh$%^ starts running down your pants ! You flee. You leave your dear friends behind and let the enemy have a nice meal. NOT OKAY !!!

Now all this is just not necessary. Stay calmly in place, be brave, assist your assaults and you will be fine.
You might even win the game despite a lousy matchmaker. It' s all so simple !

Thanks for listening, take care,

Inatu out.

Edited by Inatu Elimor, 13 December 2018 - 06:19 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

Looks at Jarls List.

You calling people noobs seems a bit, rich.

#3 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

While I don't agree with pulling up lists to stat shame, I find the post a bit elitist in tone.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

That wasn't a stat shame.

The post is "talking to noobs" apparently. I just sought some clarification & context of that statement and got exactly what I expected to find.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 13 December 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#5 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

If all the effort people put in moaning about getting left behind was instead put into pressing that W button continuously, everyone would have a much better time.

#6 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 13 December 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Dear Noobs,

The assaults as you may know are your very best friends. They will move to get a center position in the main group and operate somewhat like a turret. You know they have heavy firepower but are not so very mobile like you in your lesser tonnage mech. Now the nice thing about this is that they can "facetrade" . You know: you shoot me, I shoot you. Also very nice for your team: the enemy will focus fire on your assaults. They see them as a big thread and beefy too. So you can easily use flanking tactics or use them as a shield ! They are okay with that !
But my dear noobs, what do you do in battle ? You see the enemy coming and immediately sh$%^ starts running down your pants ! You flee. You leave your dear friends behind and let the enemy have a nice meal. NOT OKAY !!!

Now all this is just not necessary. Stay calmly in place, be brave, assist your assaults and you will be fine.

Inatu out.

Yes this in theory would be worthwhile, however the new [Redacted]base uses Assaults as LURMBoats. Hide in the back, shy away from combat when it comes their way. They do not use their Armor in the manner in which you describe, they allow those who defend them, who support them, to die to shield their retreat. The new [Redacted]base supports console COD tactics, there for if you do not solo everything in QP you will die quickly and be ignored and scoffed at for being "dead" when you provide useful information after your early demise. They think 100 tons isn't for armor but to provide them more weight for LRM Ammo. Yes the new [Redacted]base, the real cause of MWO's demise.

#7 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 13 December 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

Yes this in theory would be worthwhile, however the new [Redacted]base uses Assaults as LURMBoats. Hide in the back, shy away from combat when it comes their way. They do not use their Armor in the manner in which you describe, they allow those who defend them, who support them, to die to shield their retreat. The new [Redacted]base supports console COD tactics, there for if you do not solo everything in QP you will die quickly and be ignored and scoffed at for being "dead" when you provide useful information after your early demise. They think 100 tons isn't for armor but to provide them more weight for LRM Ammo. Yes the new [Redacted]base, the real cause of MWO's demise.

Ya sure . LRM assaults fault.
Not :
Entitlement.
Shaming.
vocal minority harrassing devs.
Elitism.
Etc.

#8 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 13 December 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Dear Noobs,

The assaults as you may know are your very best friends. They will move to get a center position in the main group and operate somewhat like a turret. You know they have heavy firepower but are not so very mobile like you in your lesser tonnage mech. Now the nice thing about this is that they can "facetrade" . You know: you shoot me, I shoot you. Also very nice for your team: the enemy will focus fire on your assaults. They see them as a big thread and beefy too. So you can easily use flanking tactics or use them as a shield ! They are okay with that !

Inatu out.

Ah.

Then why do they always stay in the back and ask the lights and mediums to push?

Color me a bit confused.

#9 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

*old man Jedi Voice* Back in my day sonny you sheet yourself when you saw one atlas. Daggumit! Them there Atlas had torso twist speed! Dem blasted ol' 84 armor arms took minutes to shoot off. An dose ani whatsists! dud hevy goose woofles dam done ct you in one hit! oie! Or that thar Ka Cat K2 1/2 thingy! TWO ac 20 AT ONCE! Greee horny toads!

An leme tell yer bout dem LUMS! All de time with the flashy thing and that bitchy thing ain't never done shut up I tell yas! You get de Incomin wopping an a holarin and WHAMY all de armur is gone! Poofy!

Ya know poe? He dun wanrnin yas bout dem der Ravuins? with de EKM! Dat damin ECM! 190m and ain't no missile go woosh! And Jenners! oie! Many a man dun wet himself when three or four or seven of those jenny things gone wolf packing! So many round an circile and round you'd barf as you die trying lasur all tha jenny but it move too dan fast!

*spitooieee!* Yep. back when de *** mechs be torso turnin you wana go hidin but now all the flashy raindow colors and blue sticks and rac rac rac arrgh!

All youse know bout now is hid n pokey and nes kar. Ain't no one know how de tack tic toes no more! no one be un askin us old n smarty smarts how ur done do dis no more. dey say we un better an yu old man! din thde all die when de old uns done show em un how ta fight for real. Bahh! *spitooiee*

i'mha git mah mech an go shoot un shoot sum more den get mah jenny an scareum de noos with what a coircle o death tack tic toe!

#10 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

and the most of this LRM assaults not use LRMs correct and goes out with sub 50-100dmg while firing in Terrain and Cover or use IS Lrms under 180m

#11 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 13 December 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

and the most of this LRM assaults not use LRMs correct and goes out with sub 50-100dmg while firing in Terrain and Cover or use IS Lrms under 180m

On the other hand, these are behaviors usually displayed by new players, ergo, there are new players joining the MWO community, which is a good thing, even though they will do frustratingly ineffective things until they get the hang of the game.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

Uhhhhh....

Get a Cherbi/Executioner, dont be a turret?

#13 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

Mistake #1 -
No assault pilot worth their salt (hur hur) acts remotely close to a turret.

Mistake #2 -
If a good assailt pilot decides to be a turret, it's because the team has fought over and won control of the strong point (e.g. fortress on tourmaline or high ground on mining). In those cases, it's more advisable for the lighter mechs to move around and establish multiple firing angles on the enemy team. It's harder for the enemy team to coordinate when they are exposed to multiple firing lanes.

Mistake #3 -
The team that manages to reach a strong point and park its assaults there is normally the team that wins. If you're in an assault and dilly dally instead of leading that push, you're gonna lose. If you dilly dally, your lighter mechs shoulder the burden of having to win the fight for position without your armor leading the way. In that scenario, spreading out to create multiple firing lanes is better than balling up around a stationary assault in a sub-par firing position.

#14 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:10 AM

It is better that the cluless players abundone assults than them playing the assults.
It is very painful to watch your teams assults wandering about, hiding and lurming, or walking like zombies into the enemies firing line at the worst possible moment. It is better that they waste a heavy or medium mechs for this purpose. Lights are the other category where you are either extremely valuable or totally useless.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 16 December 2018 - 05:11 AM.

#15 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:52 AM

Some assault 'mechs, like the Warhawk, Dire Wolf, and Nightstar excel at long-range combat, and should stay at range. I find direct-fire weapons work best on long-range assault 'mechs. Assault 'mech LRM boats may be problematic if they don't have the mobility, therefore I would run one closer to the front line and try medium to close-range indirect fire.

#16 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 13 December 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Looks at Jarls List.

You calling people noobs seems a bit, rich.

To be honest percentile rank from Jarl's list isn't indicative of player skill.

Posted Image

Edited by kapusta11, 16 December 2018 - 09:07 AM.

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:10 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 16 December 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

To be honest percentile rank from Jarl's list isn't indicative of player skill.

Posted Image

Most of those in the bottom of their lances are lower in their Jarl's rank compared to those that are top in their lances, so if anything you just validated Jarl's as an effective tool for measuring skill.

#18 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 December 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

Most of those in the bottom of their lances are lower in their Jarl's rank compared to those that are top in their lances, so if anything you just validated Jarl's as an effective tool for measuring skill.

Huh? The team with "better" players (higher average percentile rank) got their a***es handed to them.

#19 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 December 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

Mixing group and qp stats make them useless.

You should know that you can inflate your stats with a decent group in gp,
just read in this forum about players claiming 2-4 times more wl/kd if they play gp with their group.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

to be fair not all assaults are worth protecting.

afk for several seconds to a few minutes at the start of a match?
is it so slow that waiting for it to catch up is a liability?
is he ever not trying to stay with the team, good indication to go support someone else / kill stuff.
is protecting that assault going to get you both killed? better to lose one mech than 2.
does he stand out in the open trying to snipe / lerm beyond their effective range?
is he taking the worst possible map route to the team's location?
are his shots even hitting something? are they hitting you? Is he mindlessly giving away his position by firing randomly into the air?

i pretty much give every assault mech a quick iq test before i go to support them. the thing noobs really should take away from this is that playing assaults is hard and can be very frustrating if you dont know what you are doing. make one of those mistakes and you are fish food. most new players are better off in heavies or mediums until they learn tactics and (more importantly) the maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users