Game Mode Concept: Mechwarrior Legends

1 reply to this topic

#1 Asterion Aurelius

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:07 PM

Ave! fellow pilots. First post on the HPG here.

While playing several matches during the day, my father and I got into a discussion about a possible new game mode. While it may have been asked about before, let me know. But the concept that he and I came up with is basically MechWarrior/BattleTech Hardcore style. Where as the game mode consists of more geographical modifiers applied to the player mechs, causing several kinds of different things to happen to it.
The first one I came up with was from Caustic Valley. Where in since the map is much hotter then some other maps, we all have the higher heat generation, but what if you put in random target interferance, where as randomly during the match your sensors would get pinged with a 'ghost', causing you to possilbly do a double take to confirm the sensors. Electromagnetic interferance causing in-game voice to stutter, lag or cut off entirely mid sentance.
Terra Therma: since the active lava flows would actively stop or even slow heat dissipation to a crawl. Causing you to have to shut down your mech to vent the built up heat generated.
Forest Colony: turning the light fog up to 11 on the dial, making impossible to see with any kind of vision modes, and causing sensors to to be the most effective way to find the OPFOR.
Rubelite Oasis: Since the crystal veins are exposed along most of the map, using a laser weapon on it would in turn cause the beam to ricochet and possibly hit something else

Don't forget to rely on your lancemates more often

Let me know your thoughts about this idea/concept.
Thanks for reading fellow Mechwarriors

Edited by Asterion Aurelius, 13 December 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:44 PM

PGI had done something similar in the past.... well to the "fog modifier."

Specifically there was a random modifier to the "storm" in Frozen City in which when activated, would cause the (graphical effects only) storm to be more intense in an area in which visibility is cut down significantly. This disappeared with the map's update and increase in size...as has any evidence of the storm.

....the scene also changed from a port city with a cruise ship frozen at the sea just at the boundary line to the sea, the port-side evidence, and many other details of this being a very sudden and drastic climate change being removed.

--------

Forest Colony's non-snow version before the map's increase in size, had a modifier for a "ship wreck" or "no shipwreck" version.

Also disappearing with the modifcation is the style of rectangular modular housing that had a window that you could peer through to find a dingy couch, 1980s television, a TV remote, ashtray and a "PC gamer" magazine with a mech on the cover.

-----------

Beyond this, there are sadly no other major variations or environmental factors that I can recall.

Its worth noting that Terra Therma has enough issues against it, which sucks because I think its quite unjust (its also the only map that still has any fun easter eggs!). The need to shut down to vent heat would only compound this, especially since Terra Therma is actually not the hottest map in the game (and hasn't been for some time).

This said I do enjoy some of your ideas and already have some similar things while playing Megamek. When playing Megamek or Megamek HQ, just enable quirks. This allows good and negative effects. There's a little more necessary to make them occur in the environment but some happen naturally, for example when you set a chance for tornado force winds, or get heavy rains making sand/dirt into mud, or places catch on fire because of lava tiles overflowing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users