Lurms

152 replies to this topic

#1 Jaeger Hunter

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:21 PM

I may just be a salty kinda fellow, but is there anyone else out there that feels like the LRM mechanic of the game needs some serious re-work to reduce the DPS. I doubt anyone enjoy's being lurmed to death by an enemy they can not see and I somehow can not seem to find that segment of the game enjoyable to even be on the delivering end of. AND before the trolls start with AMS/ stay near cover/ do better, I seriously doubt I am the only one that finds the need to hide behind a wall for the majority of the match with no way to return fire enjoyable.

A simple suggestion? Drastically increase the heat for lurms, reduce the volleys and increase the fun.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

I have suggested changes in the past, questioned the placement of DPS role in an indirect-fire weapon too. Instead of actually pondering about it, there are just certain people that laughed at the discussion instead of discussing.

And as for the changes? PGI hasn't done it. Things would probably just stay the same.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostJaeger Hunter, on 16 December 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I may just be a salty kinda fellow, but is there anyone else out there that feels like the LRM mechanic of the game needs some serious re-work to reduce the DPS. I doubt anyone enjoy's being lurmed to death by an enemy they can not see and I somehow can not seem to find that segment of the game enjoyable to even be on the delivering end of. AND before the trolls start with AMS/ stay near cover/ do better, I seriously doubt I am the only one that finds the need to hide behind a wall for the majority of the match with no way to return fire enjoyable.

A simple suggestion? Drastically increase the heat for lurms, reduce the volleys and increase the fun.

Just get rid of shared targeting and make it so that only TAG/NARC allows that. Buff direct firing to fire-and-forget to compensate.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 December 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

Have you tried the new stealth armor? Its rather amazing for a moderate amount of heat. Complete lurm lock immunity absent being NARCed.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 16 December 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Have you tried the new stealth armor? Its rather amazing for a moderate amount of heat. Complete lurm lock immunity absent being NARCed.

Only on select mechs though.

#6 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

On most maps, you can simply alpha then reverse behind a rock before any LRMs hit you. The LRM mech cant do anything about this. This is why most units dont bother to bring LRMs in FP, because boating ER LLs is just way easier and way more effective (point, click, deal massive damage instantly without needing to lead the target).

On maps without that helpful rock, like alpine or polar, it basically boils down to if your team can alpha any spotters before you get LRMed to death.

#7 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 16 December 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Not to mention it's a one sided solution since only IS has anything like it. El Bandito's Idea has great merit though.

#8 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:10 PM

After 5 years of forum complaining about LRMs, im pretty sure your post will catch their attention and LRM's will be changed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

#9 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostJaeger Hunter, on 16 December 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

The problem is the concept of "role warfare" was largely abandoned. By the development team and the player base. LRMs are an artifact of an era where role warfare was more an integral part of successful strategy.

Believe it or not there was a time when LRMs had no passive counter measures like AMS,ECM,and radar deprivation. (On the flip side there was also no NARC,TAG or UAVs )

So if you wanted to employ a successful LRM strategy you needed to assign roles, mainly a spotter and an LRM boat team.

The counter play was also role based. We used to send off our light mechs specificly with the role of counter spotter (kill the enemy LRM spotters) and LRM boat blitzer ( slip in under LRM minimum range and engage the LRM boat directly).

But in today's game who can be bothered to play to a team strategy and perform to a strategic role? pretty much nobody because we see these threads with alarming frequency.

If anything the role of anti-LRM light mech is easier today. We have AMS now,ECM all over the place, radar deprivation and stealth armor and 20 ton mechs with alarmingly high alpha strikes or DPS output. Yet, still we have players who feel there are no means of defense VS the LRM boats.

So what can be done when there is a tendency to want results without actually doing anything to achieve those results?

Edited by Lykaon, 16 December 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#10 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hey!
A new LRM cry thread!

Same as it ever was!

#11 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

Peeking around your wall, what will happen if 3 lrm boats lock on you and what will happen if there are 3 laservomit(or nearly everthing other then lrm-boats) mechs?
Iam sure you will survive the first (maybe dont get any damage if you go back in time and have some radarderp), but the last will kill you or cost you at least half your mech.

If you get killed more often by lrms then other weapons,
its not the lrms ...

Edited by Kroete, 16 December 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:50 PM

Fun fact lrms have the worst damage-to-kill hit ratio in the game. I got mine at a mere 35% My lasers are great at 80% Guess which weapon I use the most?

#13 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:08 PM

I think the LRMs should be effective with Direct LOS + Tag + Artemis. Without those, the lock-on should take longer and the spread should be a little more. Also, reduce the ammo counter per bin is something that needs to be looked at as that is an easier topic to tackle without needing a lot of reprogramming.

#14 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

After reviewing years of this same thread, I assumed LRMs were some kind of godly point and click to win weapon, and purchased an Archer.

I was disappointed. I find myself having to move around and actively do stuff and my LRM mech is barely any different to my average scores. Where am I going wrong?

#15 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 16 December 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

After reviewing years of this same thread, I assumed LRMs were some kind of godly point and click to win weapon, and purchased an Archer.

I was disappointed. I find myself having to move around and actively do stuff and my LRM mech is barely any different to my average scores. Where am I going wrong?

You are not playing clan. Lol.

Anyway, there is an 'LRMS OP. PGI PLZ FIX' every single week.

#16 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:27 PM

Lurms are fine, Point. I was tired about using Laservomit or Dakka….. Lurms are the reason that I am having fun again... Posted Image

#17 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:44 AM

I know lets just take LRMs out of the game. Sure there a staple weapon of Battletech but who care noob weapon take them out worthless...or yea know fix the damn things.

#18 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:51 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 16 December 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

I think the LRMs should be effective with Direct LOS + Tag + Artemis. Without those, the lock-on should take longer and the spread should be a little more. Also, reduce the ammo counter per bin is something that needs to be looked at as that is an easier topic to tackle without needing a lot of reprogramming.

This is what I say as well.

Edited by SirSmokes, 17 December 2018 - 03:02 AM.

#19 x Deathstrike x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:47 AM

The last thread to be opened on this forum before is shuts down will be a LRM whine thread.

Edited by x Deathstrike x, 17 December 2018 - 03:47 AM.

#20 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:06 AM

View Postx Deathstrike x, on 17 December 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

The last thread to be opened on this forum before is shuts down will be a LRM whine thread.

There the last out of line weapon system that needs tweaking and balancing that's why people whine about them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users