Sick And Tired Of Taking Brawl Mechs In Qp

32 replies to this topic

#1 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

Only to be absolutely ****** due to map selection. So you take a MRM boat (lol M is medium range, yet they are only effective in unguided srm range) and get absolutely ******* boned trying to get to the enemy to do piss poor damage. No wonder Guass/laservomit is popular, it is ******* applicable for every map. Seriously, give us a ******* bone and let us veto certain maps before launching. I don't want to take srms and mrms on Polar ******* Highlands.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

Try to wait a bit before "brawling". You shouldn't rush into the enemies within the first 5 minutes of a match and hope to come out at the end still alive while getting a few kills. That doesn't work. Pick your moment.

Granted I haven't played a lot but I have checked different ways of "brawling" with different weapons. I've tried with Ares and failed until I changed the loadout accordingly (2 SRM6A + Snubnose + SLs + JJ), Bounty Hunter (6 ML + ERPPC + AC20) and Kraken (AC20 + 2 MRM30 + Laser AMS). I'm having better results in the Kraken not 'cause of the firepower and armour but 'cause I'm much more patient now and actually tell others not to run into the enemies, which seems like good advice to everybody in the team as they listen. We play the patient game and then murder-ball the opponents.

BTW, I get the tactics guide from Baradul. Check out his videos.

#3 Galaxie 500

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

Patience is necessary, even crucial, when the map doesn't suit you. When I'm in a brawling build and up comes Polar Highlands, I'm just going to have to run around in the trenches coordinating for the first half. Since I won't be firing at anything, that's my time to provide AMS and ECM (on some mechs), or go carefully and pop a UAV where it makes a difference (if in a light), or if none of the above, just contribute some effort in coordinating where the enemy force is and whether my team should focus here or there, whether we should move right or left, etc. I can make a big difference if I keep certain very common bad moves from happening, like if I can help keep only two mediums chasing enemy lights instead of a bunch of our team's heavies peeling off and going after them. That alone can be the difference between win and loss. There are several other super common bad moves that I can carefully help prevent without pissing anyone off, and all because I'm not having to fire for a few minutes.

I agree that it sucks, of course, since we'd all rather be in action the maximum amount of time. I'm just saying there are very significant things I can do while waiting, things that can contribute to the win vs loss. And then finally the time comes and I join the push and we wreck the enemy, ideally. Or things don't go so well but at least the range has closed and I can get a kill or two and maybe get the team back on top.

#4 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:41 PM

You expect a high spread weapon like mrm to be better than pin point guass/laser combos? Also polar has trenches. Perhaps watch ww1 videos and ww1 documentaries or even civil war reenactments and see how to do trench warfare. Don't be a noob and stand out in the open when you can trench your way to the enemy's sides and flanks. Guass/laser snipers just wait for some tool to go out into the open or rise above a trench to get their shots off.

#5 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 16 December 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

Bounty Hunter (6 ML + ERPPC + AC20)

BTW, I get the tactics guide from Baradul. Check out his videos.

Yeah, I saw a game where Baradul used 6 MPL and an AC20 to get Ace of Spades. The IS Marauders are great heavy mechs, allowing for multiple effective loadouts on the same mechs, especially the MAD-3R and the BH2.

Was in a game with someone recently. We were dropping into QP Polar, and he said he was screwed because he was a short-range brawler. Dude played smart, along with rest of team, and he ended up with 4 kills, lots of damage to enemy team, and survived.

Edited by Gen Lee, 16 December 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#6 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostGarfuncle, on 16 December 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

Only to be absolutely ****** due to map selection. So you take a MRM boat (lol M is medium range, yet they are only effective in unguided srm range) and get absolutely ******* boned trying to get to the enemy to do piss poor damage. No wonder Guass/laservomit is popular, it is ******* applicable for every map. Seriously, give us a ******* bone and let us veto certain maps before launching. I don't want to take srms and mrms on Polar ******* Highlands.

Or you can put more than one type of weapon on your mech instead of playing AlphaWarrior. Then you can play on all maps! what a concept.

#7 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:57 PM

Really? Polar Highlands is one of my favourite brawling maps.

~Leone.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

View PostGen Lee, on 16 December 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

Yeah, I saw a game where Baradul used 6 MPL and an AC20 to get Ace of Spades. The IS Marauders are great heavy mechs, allowing for multiple effective loadouts on the same mechs, especially the MAD-3R and the BH2.

Was in a game with someone recently. We were dropping into QP Polar, and he said he was screwed because he was a short-range brawler. Dude played smart, along with rest of team, and he ended up with 4 kills, lots of damage to enemy team, and survived.

Initially, I had some RACs and something else as back up. Then tried UAC10 and another backup weapon. I eventually decided to go with 1 long range weapon (ERPPC) and the rest as pinpoint damage up close. From that point on, the games were enjoyable and won more than lost. Now in my Kraken, my record is way better. It all comes down to experimenting with your loadout and then making sure that the team works together. There is really no point in rushing into the enemies early on.

I have more kills in my Javelin 11F but a lot of losses 'cause the team wasn't able to stay together and me getting 1 or 2 backstab kills wouldn't make much of a difference in the end.

#9 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:15 PM

Play FP, use your favorite mechs for map/mode Posted Image

#10 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:38 AM

I brought my brawler Scorch a lot. Gotta read the situation and hang back until the proper time. That includes letting people on your team die if they try to overextend to a place where you just take hits and deal 0 damage. Pushes happen even in Polar. Just need to be not shot up like cheese before it happens.

I usually take AMS so I am not totally useless when sitting behind a hill next to the peek'n'shooters.

#11 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:51 AM

View PostElizander, on 17 December 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

I usually take AMS so I am not totally useless when sitting behind a hill next to the peek'n'shooters.

This. If I'm in a dedicated short ranged build, and am rolling into QP, I usually try to take something useful to the rest of the team. An extra AMS or ECM is still useful to the team, even if i'm not actively dealing damage. Couple that with spending the first half of the match on "Anti Light" patrol, and I'm usually still pretty fresh by the time the push comes, and can absolutely slam people late game.

#12 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:54 AM

Tantrum much?
You don't choose where to fight.
It chooses you.
Bring a more BattleTech style mixed load out. It's better.

#13 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:59 AM

Then do what i do and take a bracket build. Have something for close and long range. Problem solved

#14 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:14 AM

OP - You should make this post over on Outreach https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/

No way I’m going to discuss some of the replies you got here. Like getting into a land war in Asia.

#15 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:36 AM

I'll never understand why we're not allowed to pick the mech AFTER we know the map. That's how it works in FP, so I know it's possible using PGI's own code. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. You get to play map roulette in QP because reasons. No fun allowed. No specializing allowed. No map nuance allowed. You'll play a generalist mech and like it... or die a horrible, funless death.

#16 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:35 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 17 December 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

OP - You should make this post over on Outreach https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/

No way I’m going to discuss some of the replies you got here. Like getting into a land war in Asia.

Coward!!! ;) lol

#17 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

Well an LRM boat does bad on maps with lots of buildings and cover and where most of the combat has to occur in pretty close proximity. You could put sniper builds in the same boat, especially if the map is small.

So sorry that the maps don't cater to the very specialized build you choose. But brawlers aren't the only builds that struggle on certain maps. In fact I feel we should remove map select and make it 100% random so its 100% unbiased. Instead of people padding their vote multiplier 8x to get Polar so they can sit in the back with their LRM assault. So if you want to get brawler friendly maps, then pad that vote multiplier and choose your brawler when you know you have enough votes.

I personally stack my votes to prevent polar because it's often a shet show. And to force the occasional Terra Therma drop, because I lol at the rage. Yet I've had some good drops on Terra Therma.

#18 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

I don't get it. I've always liked Polar Highlands, and I play short-mid range builds a lot (and never lurm).

If you're say an SRM brawler on Polar, you just have to be patient for a few minutes. I've so far never seen a game there which didn't get short-range brawling towards the end.

View PostMechaBattler, on 17 December 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

So sorry that the maps don't cater to the very specialized build you choose. But brawlers aren't the only builds that struggle on certain maps. In fact I feel we should remove map select and make it 100% random so its 100% unbiased. Instead of people padding their vote multiplier 8x to get Polar so they can sit in the back with their LRM assault. So if you want to get brawler friendly maps, then pad that vote multiplier and choose your brawler when you know you have enough votes.

I'd argue it's overall easier in the current game for short-range brawlers than dedicated long-range builds. In you're a brawler, it's basically Polar that's a little bit (but not very) tricky.

I fully agree it'd be best to remove the map voting altogether.

#19 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

View Postjss78, on 17 December 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

I don't get it. I've always liked Polar Highlands, and I play short-mid range builds a lot (and never lurm).

If you're say an SRM brawler on Polar, you just have to be patient for a few minutes. I've so far never seen a game there which didn't get short-range brawling towards the end.

I'd argue it's overall easier in the current game for short-range brawlers than dedicated long-range builds. In you're a brawler, it's basically Polar that's a little bit (but not very) tricky.

I fully agree it'd be best to remove the map voting altogether.

agree - you ~can~ brawl on every map. hell, I have fond memories of running my Spiritbear there (on Polar) after the last mobility changes. problem is: you gotta hide for an awful lot of time, till the action begins.
that's no fun.

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 17 December 2018 - 12:09 PM.

#20 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

Know the feeling... use whatever cover is avaiable even small ridges can make a differece. Also use your teammates as mea.. erm metal shields. Until you get into optimal brawling range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users