- - - - -

New Player, Trying To Figure Out How To Not Play Trial....

12 replies to this topic

#1 Lemon8or

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

So I'm unclear how to get out of the "trial" part of this game? It looks fun, but it implies I don't have to buy MCs to get a mech, yet all the mechs require MCs that I can see. Also it implies some bundles include 30 days of "Premium" but I don't see where this Premium status is described?

Can I buy a mech just with C-bills in the game?

What is Premium and how do I sign up for it if interested?

Can I only actually buy a mech if I pay real $$, and just have access to trial mechs?

I don't mind paying $$ to play a game I like but I would prefer to have some kind of paid account at a flat rate than have to buy mechs a la carte with real $$ just so I'm not buying things twice. Is this explained anywhere? Thanks folks for helping out a scrub.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:32 PM

You can buy mechs for CBills through the ingame shop. All you need is the appropriate amount of CBills and an empty mechbay. You start off with 4 empty bays. More bays can be bought with MC or be won through Faction Play rewards.
Premium time can be won or bought with real money or MC. It increases CBill payouts and EXP gains.

#3 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:28 AM

Okay, a suggestion on how to get started...

First off, do the Tutorial. Repeat until you can do the trial course to get the gold time reward. Now you will have a decent nest egg to start with. Get a relatively cheap and forgiving Medium Mech.

For starters, I suggest a Crab 27 with 2 Large Lasers (in the arms), 3 Medium Lasers (Center Torso and Head) and 2 AMS with 2 tons of Ammo (1 in each side torso). Stick with a Standard 250 engine and buy Ferro Fibrous Skeleton and go to town.

When I started an alt character, this is essentially what I started with. The Crab is sturdy, good for short to medium range and the AMS provide nice utility. It is also currently on sale, so you save some money. What it does not do is do huge amounts of damage. But it teaches you a number of concepts quite well, like laser vomit and twisting.

***EDIT: The first 25 matches you do will grant you a nice amount of bonus money, each. Enough so you can buy a second Mech. Personally, I would suggest to stick with Medium and Heavy Mechs for now, most beginners do not do well with Light or Assault mechs. Just play your Mechs and you will get experience for them. Do not give up on Mechs quickly, often they become significantly more powerful after you have spent around 50 skill points on them. The necessary CBills will come from match rewards. You can play without premium time quite easily. Things just take a bit longer.***

***EDIT2: I mean Endo-Steel Skeleton, actually. Posted Image The Crab already comes with Ferro... Posted Image Switch to double Heatsinks, slap in 3 additional Heatsinks and shift the armour around a bit (6-8 in the back, the rest to the front) and you are set.***

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 17 December 2018 - 05:55 AM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:15 AM

When you go to the Store, there is currently a Mech sale going on.

Look on the left side. Click on Mechs and you can break it down even further to what weight class. See below. Some mechs will have to prices, MC (Mech Credits top price) and C-Bills (bottom price). MC can be purchased with RL cash and/or earned when PGI has events. Besides mechs, it is used to purchase cockpit items, colors, decals but most importantly Mech bays. Mechbays are primarily purchased with MC. If not in a hurry wait around for sales, happens 2-3x a year where Mechbays are 150 MC instead standard 300 MC. There are a few ways to earn them in-game, events or Faction Play (FP). FP is not for the unorganized or those new to the game when dropping as PUG (loner).

Again, STORE, BATTLEMECHS then break it down future in LIGHT, MEDIUM, HEAVY, ASSAULTS.

Also be warned, Innersphere and Clan mechs are not separated. Clan omnimechs will usually have Prime, A, B, C, D as designators, while Clan battlemechs and Innersphere battlemechs do not. To tell the differnces in the mechlab (lower right, View in Mechlab) most weapons and components will have a C-designator before it.

On initial purchase, Clan mechs are more expensive since most come with clan XL (expensive components) and other items then stock Innersphere mechs. For most Innersphere mechs, by the time they are equipped with a LFE or XL engine plus other items, that OVERALL price tag comes pretty close.

AND LOG ON and PLAY A GAME on 12/27/18 to earn 2 MECHS.
https://mwomercs.com...day-bonus-2018/

Also, try to NEVER sell a mech. Save up MC and purchase extra mechbays when it is on sale.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh yeah, and Mech bays will be 50% off too!

Sale Ends: Dec 19th 4 PM PST (Dec 20th, 2018, 00:00 UTC)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 17 December 2018 - 04:06 PM.

#5 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostLemon8or, on 16 December 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

So I'm unclear how to get out of the "trial" part of this game? It looks fun, but it implies I don't have to buy MCs to get a mech, yet all the mechs require MCs that I can see.
All mechs can be bought with MC, most can also be bought with C-Bills. The prices in store are an "OR" between the two, not an "AND".

Also it implies some bundles include 30 days of "Premium" but I don't see where this Premium status is described?
50% buff to your C-Bill, XP and GXP rewards from matches.

Can I buy a mech just with C-bills in the game?
Yes.

What is Premium and how do I sign up for it if interested?
You either get Premium time from mech packs or for MC from the in-game store. If you consider the latter in context of how much the PT and the mechbays alone would cost, mech packs are (in most cases) a better deal.

#6 Lemon8or

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

Thank you for the excellent replies to my question and the warm welcome! So when I was trying to buy the mechs I saw both payment methods and thought that I had to pay both currencies, not either/or, so user error as usual :)

Much appreciated and look forward to the steep learning curve above :) Currently learning the ins and out of a hunchback with Ultra AC 20 and lots of machine guns for close range, probably not ideal but it's fun so far. Hope to see some of you online!

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:44 AM

There's one thing you can't buy with C-bills, though - that's mechbays (storage slots for mechs). The're currently on a 50% off sale, so if you're planning on playing this game for a while I'd recommend grabbing a handful.

#8 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:44 AM

here is a example pic where do you see if its a clan mech or a is mech. Its in the ingame store Battlemech> light medium heavy assault etc.. same line as in your Hangar.. the blue line i marked with arrow you see its a clan mech

Posted Image

Edited by Mighty Spike, 17 December 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

One thing I see is that misconception still has not gone away after all this time.

View PostKoniving, on 02 October 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Updated: Tuesday December 31st, 2013.

I usually don't have questions that I can't answer myself, but I can think of a few good ones that are commonly asked.

Q: "Why does it look like mechs can only be bought with real money?"
A: "When you first select Buy Mech, they list the 'premium' mechs which are regular mechs with experience bonuses or hero mechs with cbill bonuses and unique looks and hardpoints available for also known as 'Real Money'.

Posted Image

On the right hand are 5 mech icons. The star means premium. L is light, M is medium, H is heavy, and A is assault. The price is the in-game price.

As you can see, it was worthwhile enough to post as a frequently asked question in the first reply to the short question short answer thread among dozens of other frequently asked (and still relevant questions). Though the images and exact locations or minor details of where things or what things are have changed, every question answered in that first reply is still true (except the need to have 3 mech variants [4G, 4SP, 4P] to master a chassis [Hunchback for example]. That one's no longer true).

Sounds like you have a 4G, I personally love the rig though I do use a standard AC/20 instead. Mostly because I've never made the transition to an Ultra model for either of my two 4Gs and in part because the heat is easier to manage without the inclination to double tap. I have a small series of videos using a Hunchback 4H that was intended to help a player struggling with it, but in general could help new players all around using a slower 50 ton Mech. First of the four isn't that great due to a problem with the frame rate but the three after are good. (Will let you find those on your own if you want.)

Side note two other videos you might find interesting of the Hunchback variety.
Grid Iron hero mech (short of the missile, its doable on your 4G). But more important than that, take note of the fact that there are two separate crosshairs.
Hunchback 4P (using the same basic premise of the 4G, with a 20 damage punch [by PPCs] and a number of medium lasers for additional damage. Note the method for defending against a heavy barrage of attacks. Loadout given at the start).

#10 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Don't forget to make one drop on the 27th of Dec. 2 mechs with mechbays a bunch of other stuff and 1250MC! just for one game with 50 match score

https://mwomercs.com...day-bonus-2018/

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

Oh yeah, and Mech bays will be 50% off too!

Sale Ends: Dec 19th 4 PM PST (Dec 20th, 2018, 00:00 UTC)

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

(Wait til you are certain you're enjoying yourself before you spend money there's plenty of time. On a side note around November each year the game does remember what you buy and gives thanks with rewards. So any investment gives a little extra later. [Typically a free light or medium variant not yet in the game])

Definitely get a match in on the 27th. The two heromechs it gave out last year were pretty good. This year they're assault Mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users