2 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:02 AM

So while looking at the canon quirks of Megamek, I've noticed they've changed some from the implied ones of old fluff and some generic ones they threw about to something very structured and extremely...full on everything from mechs to vehicles. More than I've ever seen anywhere.

Then I found out how they were coming up with these, something called the Battlemech Manual.

Which there's a new updated publication recently announced in November 2018.

Anyway of interesting note, these include all the way up to the points that I normally didn't care about (3150 or wherever the timeline currently ends).

And while nothing went above 14.x meters even into the Clan Invasion (3050+) until at least the Dark Ages... I found this snippet interesting.

Standing from seven to sixteen meters tall, and weighing from twenty to one hundred tons

This has the issue of ignoring a certain 6.5 meter tall mech, but ignoring that... Catalyst has declared they go from 7 to 16 meters.

MWO puts several mechs at 17+ meters. Dire Whale (Dire Wolf / Daishi) for example is approximately 16.5 meters at the tallest point in MWO (yet in fluff it is 12.3 meters). Atlas is shown to be almost 18 meters tall according to MWO's rescale image (though I remember someone showing that its actually written to be 18.6 meters in the official rescale patch notes). Meanwhile the Atlas compared to the Dire Wolf is not much taller, and the more reliable of fluff (where the narrating character isn't terrified) suggests between 13 and 14 meters (and the terrified guy said over 15, and a dark ages source claims it is over 20 meters tall and has a kitchen installed and fully crewed to make sure the pilot had enough to eat but there was so much ******** in that novel I stopped reading it. -- later re-reading it, though, I realized that was a 'rumor' the character heard about some old kingpin of dustbowl that sold out the IS of old and may have been a joke or just deriding said kingpin.)

Huh.

Hm.

Thoughts?
Discussion?

#2 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

So the discussion is about how tall 'mechs actually are?

If it counts for anything the old Mech Commander I put the hright of the average heavy/assault 'mech at about 14 m tall, with lights obviously being shorter at about 11m as depicted here

Posted Image
(though in the map they tower over trees and kocked them while walking, unline in MWO where trees look larger than Seqoys at about 200m tall in the forest map...)

Just seeing that screenshot gives me nostalgia, you had to care about the pilots and not only the mechs. I wish there was injury game mechanics on MWO (for example if your cockpit receives ballistic damage you may get a concussion and stasrt seeing blurry, installing cockpit systems for the pilot as they existed in tabletop mechanics, etc.)

Edited by NimoStar, 26 December 2018 - 07:02 PM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:38 AM

Will reply on other stuff soon.

But for right now, I got the BM-Manual for 9.99 from drivethru RPG (better than paying 40) and went through the design quirks and quirks for mechs.

And I can now see PGI's influence spreads far and wide. Urbie, whom lore buffs on MWO analyzed all the original official artwork for on the mech. More or less we've concluded there was no to minimal torso twist due to the way they are drawn, both IIC and regular Urbies.

Yet this beta-concluded and-then-published in 2017/18 Battlemech Manual with the latest quirks has done this.
"UrbanMech
Extended Torso Twist, Narrow/Low Profile; No/Minimal
Arms"
Most likely due to MWO's version.
Posted Image
o.O;

Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 27 December 2018 - 11:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users