We Need Longer Breaks Between Events

23 replies to this topic

#1 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:57 AM

It is really unenjoyable to play during events, and there is one big reason for it: everyone cares about completing the event so much that it becomes impossible play. People run into the enemy team at the beginning of the match to get those kills for the event and obviously die, as soon as someone peeks over a hill he is instantly greeted by an artillery strike into the face, a uav and 100 LRMs afterwards, as soon as an enemy light appears behind a team, everyone starts chasing it (including assaults), and, as a result, constant losses -these are the problems that are caused by frequent events, especially the ones where you need to get kills.
So, PGI, can we have breaks between events that last one, two or even three weeks like before the introduction of the event browser, please?
Now, I know that a lot of people will disagree because everyone likes free stuff, but I think it's just not enjoyable to go through all of that suffering just to get it.

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 07 January 2019 - 04:42 AM.

#2 Raythe 71

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:11 AM

or they could change the requirements for the events to promote better team play. instead of requireing kills and high matchscore, require more Lance formation, more protected lights, mediums, etc. more deploying of UAVs (rather than shottings them down, which causes palyers to light up the night with warner bro search lights)

they just need to be smarter about it, and eventually revamp the damn match score system to not be such a boon for selfish non team players to try and exploit. Match score is a joke in Solo Queue.

#3 Stroika

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

I think you two little guys just need a hug...

#4 Raythe 71

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

View PostStroika, on 24 January 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

I think you two little guys just need a hug...

your comment contributed nothing to the conversation but poor attitude. please be constructive, or otherwise, move on.

#5 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

@Or you could just ignore the events
or go to event rehab

#6 Doktorbike

• PipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

I'm in agreement on this one. There are many cries about LRM's at the moment, from both the shooters & the receivers. LRM's seem to be the 'go to easy option' for completion of these events from the players who feel they aren't good enough or from those desperate to complete the event quickly so they don't have to suffer the bad tactics etc employed during the event by everyone else. Solution to both is obviously less events or a re-working of how they are done.
How about. Play X amount of games to get X reward, play Y amount of games to get Y awards etc etc... There would need to be a system in place to prevent folks just starting a match & then disconnecting into another such as 100 match score but this, to me seem's fairer to all & would also help with the saturation of LRM's during our current Kill, KMDD & Damage events we have currently.
Free stuff is cool & I thank PGI for giving away so much & so often but how much are we all willing to loose to get theses baubles & trinkets?? The slow exodus of our player base seems a bit too much to me.

#7 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

I've been saying this for some time now.
I use to care about the events and participating, especially when rewards I wanted were up. But lately I've been so drowning in events, I've been either ignoring them (even when there are events I want to do) or burned out on MW:O from trying to keep up with the events.

What I would like to see is some kinda of weekly small event, something that will be more helpful to newer players than older players to ease players burden in the game. Say "Get 12 Kill Assists; Earn 100,000 C-bills" being up for a week (or something simple you could do in a couple of matches). The concept here would be to use the event system, when there is no major events going, to reward people for playing and to generally help newer players. This is the place where small C-bill awards, GXP and maybe even engine rewards could be placed. Little helpful things.

Right now, it's large event after large event after three large events running at the same time, followed by another large event... I'm all for events and free stuff... but I do believe there is such a thing as overkill on events.

#8 Catnium

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

Op just described rank 5 pilot QM play
So i doubt this will change with less events

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostCatnium, on 03 April 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

Op just described rank 5 pilot QM play
So i doubt this will change with less events

It's the same in tier 1...

#10 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:09 AM

is it PGI's fault that players cant realize they would achieve all the goals while playing as if there was no event? Posted Image

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

View PostAlienized, on 06 April 2019 - 01:09 AM, said:

is it PGI's fault that players cant realize they would achieve all the goals while playing as if there was no event? Posted Image

Most events, yes. Some require you to run specific things, which means altered game play.

But, you are talking about human nature. When we set a goal in front of us, we want to normally find the easiest, fastest path to achieve that goal. If we are to deal damage, we will then take mechs known to deal large damage even if it spreads its damage. If we need to do scouting, we grab faster mechs, rush into the front of the team, and lock as many targets "first" as we can to get it done. This is very much a human nature thing.

I do wish that a "between events" event would be something running a week long with relatively easy to achieve goals with reasonable prizes. Some C-bills here or there. Things to help reward people who just play the game. Something like "deal 1000 damage" or "get 500 match score" (not in one game). It may encourage some "shortest path" play, but with seven days to do it and being only a single goal (not multiple), people are less likely to take it super serious. (I would thing at least.)

#12 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostTesunie, on 06 April 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

Most events, yes. Some require you to run specific things, which means altered game play.

But, you are talking about human nature. When we set a goal in front of us, we want to normally find the easiest, fastest path to achieve that goal. If we are to deal damage, we will then take mechs known to deal large damage even if it spreads its damage. If we need to do scouting, we grab faster mechs, rush into the front of the team, and lock as many targets "first" as we can to get it done. This is very much a human nature thing.

I do wish that a "between events" event would be something running a week long with relatively easy to achieve goals with reasonable prizes. Some C-bills here or there. Things to help reward people who just play the game. Something like "deal 1000 damage" or "get 500 match score" (not in one game). It may encourage some "shortest path" play, but with seven days to do it and being only a single goal (not multiple), people are less likely to take it super serious. (I would thing at least.)

but tesunie, we get alot of time to achieve the goals with standard playing.
like, i played 3 hours and done 10/12 already.

the bigger problem is that people can only play the style they like the most. if you pull them out of that they are hopeless noobs again.
i see people driving the same mechs for days. i would be goddamn bored to death like that and im actually not surprised that people leave this game then but there is so much different stuff you can play here if you only do trial and error, figure out stuff on your own.

i just guess players like to be bored.

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

View PostAlienized, on 06 April 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

i see people driving the same mechs for days. i would be goddamn bored to death like that and im actually not surprised that people leave this game then but there is so much different stuff you can play here if you only do trial and error, figure out stuff on your own.

i just guess players like to be bored.

Lately (okay, not so lately), I've been having people on the forums present my stats as some kind of counter point for information I've posted. So, I took a challenged myself to raise that up (which also followed with the Lucky Charms event). Want to know what I did to raise my scores up? Play the same handful of mechs over and over and over and... over... again. Jagermech with two LB2s and two LB5s. Nightstar with two UAC10s, two AC2s and two MLs. Etc.

It was fun... for a while. By the end of the event I was ready to do some other, less viable, mechs... BUT I did manage to raise my Jarl's listing back to my old values again. Guess it shows that I'm better than my average stats when I want to. (Of course, all I did was focus on dealing damage only.)

#14 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:04 AM

View PostTesunie, on 06 April 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

Lately (okay, not so lately), I've been having people on the forums present my stats as some kind of counter point for information I've posted. So, I took a challenged myself to raise that up (which also followed with the Lucky Charms event). Want to know what I did to raise my scores up? Play the same handful of mechs over and over and over and... over... again. Jagermech with two LB2s and two LB5s. Nightstar with two UAC10s, two AC2s and two MLs. Etc.

It was fun... for a while. By the end of the event I was ready to do some other, less viable, mechs... BUT I did manage to raise my Jarl's listing back to my old values again. Guess it shows that I'm better than my average stats when I want to. (Of course, all I did was focus on dealing damage only.)

ofc you get better when you play something more often, you learn to drive it.
now, the more you drive the less played mechs you will be better at them too but its a rocky road.
and stats dont really fkin matter.
i dont wanna know how much time i spent to play the victor properly before the quirks been out but it was totally worth it.

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostAlienized, on 06 April 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

ofc you get better when you play something more often, you learn to drive it.
now, the more you drive the less played mechs you will be better at them too but its a rocky road.
and stats dont really fkin matter.
i dont wanna know how much time i spent to play the victor properly before the quirks been out but it was totally worth it.

It's not that, it's often the builds. I play some mechs with "alight" builds, but they show more promise than other builds on said mech. I enjoy them. I play them often, but the builds/mechs don't necessarily compete with more meta like mechs with often better quirks or hitboxes.

In the case of my experiment, I chose mechs I knew could deal large amount of damage with as little experimental potential as possible. The old reliable builds, rather than (for example) my LRM Huntsmen which has shown great stats before hand, but with the recent changes I didn't want to have that impact my scores. I use said Huntsmen all the time, but with AMS changes and missile changes, it's become a little more questionable on it's viability.

Basically, if I wanted to play boring and "what I know works" only, I could get good scores and stats. But I like variety and making mechs that don't work for me start to work better. I also enjoy mechs that, sometimes, don't have reliable performance. I like to just change things up, as well as continue to experience different builds, weapons and possible weapon combinations.

I mean, I just, before I focused on my "stats", experimented to see if MRMs and LBx weapons blended well with my Shadowhawk. Didn't dare continue the experiment between the event and trying to "show what I can do with my stats". Maybe I'll continue that experiment now though...

#16 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostTesunie, on 06 April 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

stuff

mrm's and lbx do blend well. after all experimenting with loadouts is at least half of the fun i personally have. yeah some loadouts really dont work well Posted Image Posted Image

in the end it just doesnt matter tho. i have no idea about jarls list and how to read my stats there properly but im typically using stuff like a XL, max JJ victor. can go horribly wrong in times of HGauss, can go pretty darn awesome. no risk no gain :>
yesterday i flipped a WHK loadout around to 2 er ppc, 1 lbx10, 1 lrm 20 or so. always worth a giggle Posted Image had 2 games with like 400 dmg and one with 1100 Posted Image
also, mauler with 4 ac2, 2 Lppc and 4 lrm 5.
it does indeed work at times Posted Image Posted Image

players just need to start focusing more on the fun side of building mechs and test around stuff. (in a way that is still somewhat reasonable ofc :| )

#17 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

View Postadmiralbenbow123, on 05 January 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

It is really unenjoyable to play during events, and there is one big reason for it: everyone cares about completing the event so much that it becomes impossible play. People run into the enemy team at the beginning of the match to get those kills for the event and obviously die, as soon as someone peeks over a hill he is instantly greeted by an artillery strike into the face, a uav and 100 LRMs afterwards, as soon as an enemy light appears behind a team, everyone starts chasing it (including assaults), and, as a result, constant losses -these are the problems that are caused by frequent events, especially the ones where you need to get kills.
So, PGI, can we have breaks between events that last one, two or even three weeks like before the introduction of the event browser, please?
Now, I know that a lot of people will disagree because everyone likes free stuff, but I think it's just not enjoyable to go through all of that suffering just to get it.

nothing you described is any different in QP on regular days

#18 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

PGI needs to have events like this to keep the playerbase engaged. Also for them to collect data...

#19 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostImperialKnight, on 07 April 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

nothing you described is any different in QP on regular days

Yes, but it doesn't happen as often.

#20 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

Title should be changed from "needing breaks from events" to "change event requirements to promote better team play". Else, admiralbenbow123 would sound like he doesn't have time to play events thinking if he can't get the free loot, others should not get it also. Even though, that is not admiral's intention.

Using kill assists or kills is a terrible measurement to promote team play. I think it's best that PGI should up the matchscore requirement to somewhere around 200-400 to promote better playing habits from players. It would also force players to improve their skills also

Edited by GamerPro4000, 20 April 2019 - 05:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users