10 replies to this topic

#1 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

Playing a lot of Solaris matches I've seen three different archtypes of mechs emerge, defined by their firing pattern, how they defend themselves, and what attributes they maximize.

The Deeps Archtype
because dee-pee-ess has too many syllables

The Deeps archtype is an offensive archtype. A deeps mech is a mech that relies on maximum long range DPS to out-trade its opponent and win by pure damage output. Deeps mechs don't typically use twisting or cover to guard, instead using their armor, range, and pressure as they fire. A deeps mech will want to position them selves to cover a large area of the map and force their opponent to expose themselves for long periods as they approach.

Typical weapons: AC2, AC5, RAC2
Typical chassis: Annihilator, Jagermech, Rifleman
Typical map bans: Ishiyama Caves, Liao Jungle

The Brawl Archtype

The brawl archtype is a defensive archtype. A brawl mech is a mech that relies on twisting between large front-loaded alphas to spread damage and guard critical components. Brawl mechs will use cover between shots if its nearby and available but don't exclusively rely on it.

Typical weapons: AC20, LBX20, LBX10, SRMs, MRMs, Pulse Lasers
Typical chassis: Atlas, Banshee, Highlander, Zeus, Victor, Orion IIC, Orion, Kintaro, Vindicator
Typical map bans: Boreal Reach, Steiner Coliseum

The Poke Archtype

The poke archtype is an evasive archtype. A poke mech will rely heavily on its agility and cover, revealing itself for brief moments to fire an alpha strike and constantly keeping its opponent guessing about its position. Poke mechs use lighter chassis, sacrificing the armor of heavier chassis for speed, mobility, and size.

Typical weapons: SRMs, Pulse Lasers, ERPPCs, SNPPCs
Typical chassis: Shadow Cat, Assassin, Arctic Wolf, Wolfhound, Panther, Commando
Typical map bans: Boreal Reach, Steiner Coliseum, Mech Factory

Edited by Alcom Isst, 05 January 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

You missed one.

"TIE Archtype"

- Where a generally below average player runs around the map, avoiding the fight for the duration of the match. The player might well "land" shots but again they are not actually involving aim but more so shots in the dark. Either way the aim is below average, against better players and thus, TIE the match because if they** don't stand a change to win.

**A being a specific individual that will not fight the opponent, ever.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 05 January 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#3 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 January 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

"TIE Archtype"

That's not an archtype. That's a cancer.

You could call them TIE fighters!

Edited by Alcom Isst, 05 January 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#4 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

I'd argue with you on the Poke map bans. I play that style roughly half of the time, I still pick factory due to all the cover.

#5 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 05 January 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

I'd argue with you on the Poke map bans. I play that style roughly half of the time, I still pick factory due to all the cover.

I put three maps instead of two because I always ban Boreal and ban Factory and Steiner depending on my poke mech. I typically ban Factory for poke mechs that don't have jumpjets. I don't like Factory for its long narrow pathways and weird cubbyholes which have limited or bad options to poke at without vertical mobility.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 05 January 2019 - 01:45 PM.

#6 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

Two maps are long range , two maps are brawl and jungle has so much cover to make brawlers easily close the gap . 3 brawl maps .

Yet most top ranking guys take long range anni,s and King crabs for div 1 and 2 .

Edited by Pain G0D, 09 January 2019 - 02:03 PM.

#7 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

My div 2 and 3 builds are AC2/10 combos. I hate Boreal almost as much as the caves, but my bans are the caves and the jungle. The jungle mostly because i just hate the map...

There should be another category called “the idiot”...maybe it’s a subcategory that would apply to any of those, though. The idiot is the player who’ll lose 170 points in a divisiontt to a single player instead of walking away after one or two losses because quitting after a loss is unfathomable.

#8 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 10 January 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

My div 2 and 3 builds are AC2/10 combos. I hate Boreal almost as much as the caves, but my bans are the caves and the jungle. The jungle mostly because i just hate the map...

There should be another category called “the idiot”...maybe it’s a subcategory that would apply to any of those, though. The idiot is the player who’ll lose 170 points in a divisiontt to a single player instead of walking away after one or two losses because quitting after a loss is unfathomable.

Your division accolade still increases even if you lose and there is a supply cache at the end of it . Who says , you are fighting the same player again ?

#9 Blue Splint

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 10 January 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

I have much more respect for such an "idiot", who is willing to put his ego aside, challenge himself and try to improve his game, than I have for a "dodger" who will avoid tough opponents and only wants to farm his inferiors for SSR.

#10 dozerbot

• PipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

Yep. Good losses are the best. I love to loose to someone with an epic build, play a few games with them and try to figure out what they have and how to counter it...

#11 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:49 AM

eh learning losses only go so far to making a player better...especially right now. Currently the player base is about 80% potatoes, 10% highly skilled upper tier players, and about 10% average players. The average players can't hardly get a match with one another and no one learns from the potatoes...and, though it seems like you could actually learn a thing or two from the highly skilled players, they're difficult to emulate. Solaris is not an educational environment. It could be if we could get a couple hundred players actually coming in regularly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users