Not Sure Where To Go Next

27 replies to this topic

#1 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:00 AM

Currently play the Warhammer-BW the most. Mix in with Nova, Hellbringer, Crab and Ebon Jaguar. Looking to get into something a bit more tankier than the WHM and HBR. I'm a brawler. I don't do lights or stand-off and do lrming. I prefer to run with the assaults, then push in just before contact and take the focus off the assaults, then brawl from there.

Looking for something a little heavier. Would like to have the agility of the heavy (compared to assaults), but more tanky.
Mauler-MX90? Madcat? Marauder IIC? Marauder?

Stay in the weightclass and go Roughneck or even go down to the Bushwhacker?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

#2 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:15 AM

Orion IIC-A-really good brawler with good hitboxes.
MAD-IIC-SC (Scorch)-extremely powerful brawler. (Can be replaced by a Mad Cat mkII-A variant with the same hardpoints if you don't have enough MC to buy a Scorch).
Roughneck-overall a good close-mid range mech.
Bushwacker-a medium mech with the mobilty and armor of a heavy mech and crab-like hitboxes. Works well as a mid-close range mech.
Centurion-agile and tanky mech (mostly because of It's good hitboxes and a shield arm) with a lot of mid-close range firepower.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:55 AM

View PostTheWarhammer, on 13 January 2019 - 07:00 AM, said:

Looking for something a little heavier. Would like to have the agility of the heavy (compared to assaults), but more tanky.
Cyclops, Victor and Highlander.

Tarogato has an entire spreadsheet of mobility by chassis, if that helps any:
https://docs.google....yk2AuaPjsg/edit

Mauler-MX90? Madcat? Marauder IIC? Marauder?

Maulers lack both mobility and survival for that role.
Mad Cat MK II is fairly agile and brutal in mid to close range, although not exactly brawlers in the strict sense.
Marauder IIC is a thumbs down from me, too dependent on energy hardpoints.
Marauder, however, is a good choice. Take the 3R, stick a UAC-20 and 4xML, you have a mobile, tanky sonnuvabitch with high ballistic mounts.

Roughnecks are good - it's basically a pocket Assault (structure > 100-tonner, armor of an 80-tonner) once skilled out.
Bushwackers... YMMV, those legs go easily.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Orion IIC-A and Orion VA are pretty good in my experience (although I may be biased - the VA was my favourite Solaris ride for most of 1st and 2nd season).

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:22 AM

View PostHorseman, on 13 January 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

Bushwackers... YMMV, those legs go easily.

Thank you!

All I hear is how great the Bushwacker is, oh its better than everything. Need a brawler? Bush. Need a LRM mech? Bush. Need a medium sniper? Bush. Just nothing but Bush over and over and over again I see and hear. Its coming up in place of a Hunchback as the goto starting mech for new players.

My first time using it, I got legged from a guy aiming seemingly at my cockpit-level (eye level).
Another time I got legged from across the map within the first minute of gameplay.

But no one seems to acknowledge "Dem legs, yo."
So thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's seen/experienced it.

#5 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostKoniving, on 13 January 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

All I hear is how great the Bushwacker is, oh its better than everything. Need a brawler? Bush. Need a LRM mech? Bush. Need a medium sniper? Bush. Just nothing but Bush over and over and over again I see and hear. Its coming up in place of a Hunchback as the goto starting mech for new players.

"Goto starting mech" it might be, but Neither a LRM boat nor a particularly good sniper - TBT/HMN and SHD/HBK-IIC are favorable in those roles due to higher hardpoints.

Edited by Horseman, 13 January 2019 - 09:46 AM.

#6 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

Cosidering there is not so much agile assaults..

I'm a brawler. I don't do lights or stand-off and do lrming. I prefer to run with the assaults, then push in just before contact and take the focus off the assaults, then brawl from there.

Sleipnir (cyclops hero) sounds like a perfect choice for you if you have enough MC of course. Dual HG or quad LB10/UAC5 - it is a very dangerous assault with high mobility.
If you don't have that much MC, I'd recommend you look at victor 9S with 3SRM6A and AC20 - it is a decent brawler with very high mobility and survivability.
Personally I would not recommend marauder due to the fact that it is useless after right side torso destruction, but it is still a decent mech.
As for clan side, I can only think of Blood Asp, since it has a nice mobility and ECM. It is possible to equip one with 2LB20+LB10+ECM which makes it kinda OKAY as a brawler.
Make your choice.

#7 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 13 January 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

If you don't have that much MC, I'd recommend you look at victor 9S with 3SRM6A and AC20 - it is a decent brawler with very high mobility and survivability.

Here's that build on a Roughneck-1C. Better convergence, mobility and hardpoint height with all the quirks your heart desires.
AI8830>1|Ogpf0|X?qf0|@@|@@|_O|_O|_O|[<2rX0|@@sH0tZ0|@O|@OuZ0|@O|@Ov@0w606060

Honestly I've had a lot of fun and success with Roughneck-1C I think is the name. 3 Ballistic points and 4 Missile points though I built it for AC/20 on one side and three SRM6A on the other side.
Running at 66kp/h. It is tanky, it punches mad both spread with alpha and pinpoint with AC/20... it's mad mate, mad.
AI8830>1|Ogpf0|X?qf0|@@|@@|_O|_O|_O|[<2rX0|@@sH0tZ0|@O|@OuZ0|@O|@Ov@0w606060

Another brawler I got is the K2 Catapult with double Snub-Nosed PPCs in arms, dual Medium Pulse Lasers in torsos and a single RAC-5 in the right torso. Again runs at 66kp/h. Heat can be a bit of an issue if you try using it all at once but if you go for RAC and pulses and then use Snubs when RAC is down or when you need to pinpoint or want to do that extra, heat is very managable.
AC0:20>1|Ogpf0|i^|S@|c?qf0|i^|i^|i^|c?rX0|I@sX0|I@tf0|APuf0|APv?0w606060

If you want a medium brawler, Hunchback-4G is one of the best out there. Strap an AC/20, three Medium Lasers, largest Light Engine you can find and it will bring you glory! DAT 2.7 reload on AC/20 <3
A10820j0|IgpZ0|X?qZ0|i^|i^|f?rN0|Y?|AO|@OsN0|Y?tG0|@O|@OuG0|@O|@Ov60|Y?w606060

There are some a bit unorthodox builds that require care when playing because they're actually smart and not meta, so take it as you will, I enjoy them greatly but to each their own.

ShadowCat (omnimech) - Heavy Large Laser, x2 SMR6A, x6 MG
AB6D=6b0pV0\M7|?C|YR|YRqV0jM7|iB|iB|iB|UR|URrL0iM7|iB|iB|iB|l^sL0eM7|?C|PC|l<2tX0^M7uX0_M7v80PM7w606060
Thanatos-4P - UAC/20, x4 Medium Laser, MRM20
An9820F1|i^|i^|Vgpj0|Y?|Y?|i^|f?qj0|Y?|Y?|i^|^<2r`0|O@s`0|Y@|GPt^0|9P|:Pu^0|9P|9Pv80|AOw606060
MadDog (omnimech) - UAC/20, x2 SRM6A, x2 Heavy Medium Laser
AD3L=8:1pb0fG7|?C|YR|mRqb0dG7|?C|YR|SR|SR|gRrX0BJ7|gB|SRsX07H7|OC|OCtZ0hG7|l^uZ0iG7|l^v80bG7w606060

And my pride and joy... the monster of brawling that took on 3 fresh assaults solo, won and then went to kick more butt. People are afraid of RACs, LBX crits everything open and Lasers are there for some extra punch when you need it. It also has ECM. And it runs 56.6km/h MUAHAHHAHA!!!!
Fafnir-5 - x2 RAC2, x2 LB10X, x3 Medium Laser
Build- A\:820f1|^<2|i^|i^|[g|i^p>1|R@|o?q>1|R@|o?r41|fO|@P|Y?s41|fO|@P|Y?t91|JO|?Pu91|JO|?PvB0|Y?w606060
Skills- a474306e601de40c1b0efefffff62101cdb7f000000000070a5660c000000

Edited by Acersecomic, 13 January 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#8 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:10 PM

!!DOUBLE POST, PLEASE DELETE!!

Edited by Acersecomic, 13 January 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#9 Bjoern Jorgensson

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

Marauders and Orions are great IS brawlers - especially the Marauder Hero Bountyhunter - if you are good at managing heat it can run very well with AC or UAC20 ans 6 MPL - nice pinpoint dmg, marauder toughness but as mentioned protect your right torso.

Other option the MAR with 2xLBX10 and 5ML

the sleipnir with lb10 tends to run low on ammo but is a great mech - cyclops q works great as asrm bomb or with mrms
I like the atlas for brawling - but its relatively slow compared to 65-68 kph of the mentioned cyclops/marauder/orion builds

Victor can work well with ac20/(a)srm6 or 3xAC10 but its not a tanky mech

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostBjoern Jorgensson, on 13 January 2019 - 01:36 PM, said:

Other option the MAR with 2xLBX10 and 5ML
Honestly, it's a downgrade vs 2xLB10X+6xML WHM-6R. You get slightly higher hardpoints, but you're forced to use a Standard engine (costing you some tonnage and mobility) and losing a single side torso effectively neuters the mech's combat potential.

#11 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

View PostKoniving, on 13 January 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

Thank you!

My first time using it, I got legged from a guy aiming seemingly at my cockpit-level (eye level).
Another time I got legged from across the map within the first minute of gameplay.

But no one seems to acknowledge "Dem legs, yo."
So thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's seen/experienced it.

Looking at my stats I have 575 games in Bushwackers, and the main thing I learned very early when creating builds for a Bushwacker is to never skip leg day. You can strip all the armour off the arm on many builds, but don't strip more than a few points of armour from the legs.

The Bushwacker's legs are big but I think the reason they can go quickly is because the legs of a Bushy are similar to the left torso of a Hellbringer; it's a location people target on the mech to try to reduce the mech's offensive capabilities as quickly as possible. For the Bushwacker pilot keeping your legs fully armoured, adding amour skill nodes, torso twist skill nodes, a speed reduction node or two, and learning how to use your dead leg to guard your armoured leg can help you stay alive (though usually limping along at a slower speed).

For the OP the Bushwacker is a potent brawler; the P1 is a bit of a one-trick pony but boating SRMs is a potent trick. For versatility I like the X1 and X2. The ballistic range quirk on the X1 is useful when running an AC20 or Heavy Gauss and the energy heat quirk is good when running a SNPPC in the CT (AC20+SNPPC on the X1 is solid), but the X2 has the second energy hardpoint in the CT for double medium laser secondary weapons. Both can run dual AC10/LB10X/RAC5s, or triple SRM6s with Artemis if you want a missile based loadout. The X2 is probably slightly better if you want to run 2xMRM30s or 2xLRM15s because you don't have to armour your left arm.

#12 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

View PostHorseman, on 13 January 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

Honestly, it's a downgrade vs 2xLB10X+6xML WHM-6R. You get slightly higher hardpoints, but you're forced to use a Standard engine (costing you some tonnage and mobility) and losing a single side torso effectively neuters the mech's combat potential.

But you get a slim profile with a way better hitboxes, not to mention additional stucture quirks. Also, as far as I remember, base mobility stats (accel, decel, torso turn rate) are better on MAD, so the difference is not that big. Having two barrels in the same location helps convergence, so it is good for offence.
But yeah, if someone decides to focus your torso, you are likely to be useless pretty soon.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 14 January 2019 - 01:14 AM.

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:22 AM

The Bushwacker is a really hard 'Mech to argue against. It's good. Really good. It can handle a pretty impressive variety of builds, and there is very little it can't do well- from dakka to splat to PPFLD brawl. If you want a generalist, you'd likely be best served with the base variant, the X1 (which balances ballistics and missiles), followed by the missile-focused P1 (since SRMs are pretty much the brawl meta right now). Slim frontal profile, great hitboxes. Strong contender for best medium 'Mech in the game.

Heavies...

There are a few options here. The Roughneck is likely your best bet for pure brawler builds- it has great hitboxes, shield arms, and a nice selection of ballistic and missile hardpoints. Several of its variants can make remarkably dangerous brawlers, with the same firepower as an old-school Atlas brawler and the speed of a heavy.

The Marauder is your go-to choice for PPFLD brawling, however. Outstanding hitboxes give it amazing deadside potential, which allows it to do stuff like this without sacrificing much. HGR+lasers is also an option.

The Orion also shouldn't be discounted, if brawling is your focus. The "Onion" has amazing durability quirks, and while its hardpoints aren't anything to write home about it's basically a pocket assault 'Mech when all's said and done. The first LT missile hardpoint is high-mounted, so despite an overall low-mount focus it can still peek in the early game (much like the Atlas) if you run MRMs on the shoulder.

Also worth mentioning: the not-yet-for-cbills Champion, which has mediocre hitboxes but astounding armor quirks. This, in-game and after applying the left side of the survival tree, can run 100+ CT armor. Seriously. It's as durable as a Dragon, but with the firepower of a Rifleman (and better). It's easily the tankiest 60-tonner in the game, and on the IS side only loses out on firepower to the now-infamous MRM QKD-IV4. Which is also well worth considering, for a brawler heavy (since PGI has been so generous with the MC lately).

As for Clams... Hellbringer? I don't really brawl with my Clammer heavies. I mainly reserve them for heavy-duty dakka or laserboating, since they have the tonnage (and weapon compactness) to do those much better than IS heavies, which are generally more durable and thus better for brawling.

#14 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:11 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 14 January 2019 - 02:22 AM, said:

The Marauder is your go-to choice for PPFLD brawling, however. Outstanding hitboxes give it amazing deadside potential, which allows it to do stuff like this without sacrificing much. HGR+lasers is also an option.

Fixed it for you. Extra two heatsinks, targeting computed mk1 and armor. Replaced Standard with Light Engine and removed Light Ferro. Though I understand the intention behind the Standard engine, losing a side will not slow you down or cripple your heat managment.
MAD-3R

Edited by Acersecomic, 14 January 2019 - 04:15 AM.

#15 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

The BSW and RGH are both good choices. The BSW is a staple of IS scouting in fp and the RGH can brawl pretty well (I like the -2A and Powerhouse). The RGH-3A is also a decent laser boat.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#16 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 14 January 2019 - 04:11 AM, said:

Fixed it for you. Extra two heatsinks, targeting computed mk1 and armor. Replaced Standard with Light Engine and removed Light Ferro. Though I understand the intention behind the Standard engine, losing a side will not slow you down or cripple your heat managment.
MAD-3R

I used to run it with LFE325, but changed it for STD when the torso loss changes went through. It's not the dissipation or speed loss- it's the sudden spike on a build that already tends to run hot, and not wanting to waste a coolshot on dodging the overheat damage when it could better be spent adding more firing cycles. If PGI dumps the "gotcha!" mechanic, it goes right back to LFE.

#17 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 15 January 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

I used to run it with LFE325, but changed it for STD when the torso loss changes went through. It's not the dissipation or speed loss- it's the sudden spike on a build that already tends to run hot, and not wanting to waste a coolshot on dodging the overheat damage when it could better be spent adding more firing cycles. If PGI dumps the "gotcha!" mechanic, it goes right back to LFE.

Mmmm, good point. It is an annoying as fk mechanic... Just shutting down or blowing up because of heat because your heat was relevant to combat. Who the fk runs around without shooting and generating heat...

#18 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Looking to get into something a bit more tankier than the WHM

You're gonna struggle then... The WHM is one of the best in the game for tanking. Great hixboxes etc etc.

If you want MORE tanky you will have to go IS and make sure it has big defensive quirks AND good hitboxes. So that would be Cyclops, Victor (you need a JJ and use it to shield/twist). Roughnecks as stated are good, more defensive than WHM actually, but worse weapon loadouts/locations and hitboxes.

Bushwhackers are fine. I dunno what people are saying they are not?
They are a Med Mech. Any Med has weak legs in the grand scheme... But the Bushie has a minor quirk for legs so it's better than most other Meds out there and overall has good quirks for defensive. They are a very strong mech for the tonnage and I've never been legged in one unless it's scouting mode.

#19 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 January 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Bushwhackers are fine. I dunno what people are saying they are not?
They are a Med Mech. Any Med has weak legs in the grand scheme... But the Bushie has a minor quirk for legs so it's better than most other Meds out there and overall has good quirks for defensive. They are a very strong mech for the tonnage and I've never been legged in one unless it's scouting mode.

The thing is, on most mediums, people don't go for the legs. My damn Hunchback has like 25 armor in the legs and no one ever goes for em! Hell, in (goes to check how many) 220 matches played I haven't been legged once to my memory.
But on the Bushie they are easier to hit and focus than the torsos. No one is saying the Bushie is weak or bad or any of that, it's just that people go for Bushie's legs the same way sharks go for blood. You were lucky with not getting legged.

Edited by Acersecomic, 15 January 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#20 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

+1 for the victor.

It really is more like a glorified heavy.

The 3x ballistic model is probably the best one.

I love the Slippy and Cyclops 10Q, but they really move and handle like a typical big fat assault mech.

The Gargoyle arguably fits your criteria as well, but you are limited to a couple laz vom builds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users