Jump to content

Pirate's Bane Vs. Romeo 5000


18 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

I'm lacking IS light 'mechs with a C-Bill bonus. I can only afford 20-ton heroes right now: The Locust Pirate's Bane and the Flea Romeo 5000 are the choices. I have the Project Phoenix Locust LCT-1V already. Any thoughts?

#2 Major Major Catch 22

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

Pirates bane

#3 tutzdes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 14 January 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

I'm lacking IS light 'mechs with a C-Bill bonus. I can only afford 20-ton heroes right now: The Locust Pirate's Bane and the Flea Romeo 5000 are the choices. I have the Project Phoenix Locust LCT-1V already. Any thoughts?

If you want those for C-bills, none. Compared to some other lights, these two do not farm. PB actually worse for farming than some non-hero lights.

#4 Koniving

    Welcoming Committee

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 22,561 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

Rom hits harder.
Bane is invisible to radar with ecm plus stealth.

Which is more important when one shot can kill you?

Edited by Koniving, 14 January 2019 - 10:41 PM.


#5 Spheroid

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:44 AM

How about the Cipher? 750 for a boosted fish is not bad.

#6 Rabid Turtle

    Member

  • Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:56 AM

I have the Pirates Bane and the Flea 20. Both are fun mechs especially with stealth and ecm. The Flea does hit harder. I play both with medium lasers because Koniving is right about one hit from a good pilot killing you so I dont get too close. In both mechs I haul @$$ to get away from a Cipher...

In the right hands the Cipher is an absolute nightmare for the opfor.

Edited by Rabid Turtle, 15 January 2019 - 03:58 AM.


#7 Acersecomic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:47 AM

View Posttutzdes, on 14 January 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

If you want those for C-bills, none. Compared to some other lights, these two do not farm. PB actually worse for farming than some non-hero lights.


You sure? I make about 200+ per match in my Locust (though it's the 5 energy variant, not the hero), and I don't even have premium!

#8 tutzdes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 15 January 2019 - 06:47 AM, said:

You sure? I make about 200+ per match in my Locust (though it's the 5 energy variant, not the hero), and I don't even have premium!

I am. My LCT-1E (6 energy) was a almost identical farm-wise compared to PB. PB is a nice mech, but its armament is a bit on a weaker side, which hurts the income.

Farming lights should be able to bring a lot of hurt without the UAV and strike use, otherwise the income will be on a low side even with hero bonus. So if the mech can bring an equivalent of 4xMPLs to the table and capacity to fire those all the match relentlessly, it can farm decently. If not - then sorry.

TDK, Grinner, K9, Purifier - yes, absolutely. PB - nope, it is a good squirrel, but not the best farmer.

#9 Acersecomic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

View Posttutzdes, on 15 January 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

I am. My LCT-1E (6 energy) was a almost identical farm-wise compared to PB. PB is a nice mech, but its armament is a bit on a weaker side, which hurts the income.

Farming lights should be able to bring a lot of hurt without the UAV and strike use, otherwise the income will be on a low side even with hero bonus. So if the mech can bring an equivalent of 4xMPLs to the table and capacity to fire those all the match relentlessly, it can farm decently. If not - then sorry.

TDK, Grinner, K9, Purifier - yes, absolutely. PB - nope, it is a good squirrel, but not the best farmer.


I personaly don't use air strikes and arties as they are too fkin expensive for that they bring to the table. My Locust runs 5 medium lasers. That's all. That's all I do and it earns me very well with little effort.
You really think a lack of one medium hurts it that much?

Edited by Acersecomic, 15 January 2019 - 09:46 AM.


#10 tutzdes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 15 January 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

I personaly don't use air strikes and arties as they are too fkin expensive for that they bring to the table. My Locust runs 5 medium lasers. That's all. That's all I do and it earns me very well with little effort.
You really think a lack of one medium hurts it that much?

One less laser and weaker cooldown quirk, compared to the one of the worse farming lights. Even the best Locusts, like LCT-1E and LCT-3M are bad farmers compared to, say, FLE-17. And all of them are only decent compared to Urbies and Wolfhounds.

With premium I earn 300-500k per match in FLE-17(S), but it is not an easy feat for me. FLE-R5K required even more work for less gain. LCT-PB - significantly worse for farming. K9 and Grinner do better with by far more chill playstyle and much less work involved than FLE-17(S).

Can Flea and Locust farm? Yes, absolutely, those did for me, but with w/l 1.5+ and k/d 2+ with worse income than some non-hero lights. So, to avoid possible disappointment I say: There are much safer picks for light mech farmers and you don't be a die-hard light mech player to get c-bills and be successful with those. K9 and Grinner are just these, safe, reliable, easy to learn, super-effective in skilled hands, just a bit less hipster. But don't worry, piloting any light (maybe except Piranha) is pretty hipster.

#11 TELEFORCE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

I was actually thinking about farming with Pirate's Bane as a long range LRM spotter, with both BAP, ECM, and some medium lasers. Is a Raven 3L at the same speed better at farming in this case?

#12 Acersecomic

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 15 January 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

I was actually thinking about farming with Pirate's Bane as a long range LRM spotter, with both BAP, ECM, and some medium lasers. Is a Raven 3L at the same speed better at farming in this case?


Raven suffers from that huge hitbox from its nose. I highly recommend not going for a Raven. Like suffers bad. I'd rather be legged. If you want to survive in a Raven, don't twist, son!

#13 Dee Eight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

Flea has better hit boxes than the locust.

#14 Bloodwitch

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 15 January 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

I was actually thinking about farming with Pirate's Bane as a long range LRM spotter, with both BAP, ECM, and some medium lasers. Is a Raven 3L at the same speed better at farming in this case?


Get a raven but instead spotting just narc.

PB is a fun little bugger, worth the c-bills. You can do well in it, mainly with backstabbing. 700 800 900 damage games, you can also find yourself at the receiving end of a oneshot first minute into the game. The earning is about average with premium c-bills boost. Other non hero lights will give you more c-bills on average.

Edited by Kunato Developments, 26 February 2019 - 11:10 AM.


#15 Koniving

    Welcoming Committee

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 22,561 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

"Worth the cbills."

*Looks at hero mech that can only be bought with ."

Huh.
Did you get an offbrand Bane? I heard the 1V makes a great knockoff hero...minus the ECM and stealth armor.

#16 Bloodwitch

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 February 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

"Worth the cbills."

*Looks at hero mech that can only be bought with ."

Huh.
Did you get an offbrand Bane? I heard the 1V makes a great knockoff hero...minus the ECM and stealth armor.


Oops.. but you're kinda true. 1V is extremely fun with just a single snub nose ppc.
You don't get the same gameplay out of any locust or flea then you get out of a PB except the Flea 20.
The next best thing is a commando 2D.

I'd personally pick a flea 20 or if i would include MC a wolfhound Grinner.
If it's only between a PB and Romeo, i'd pick the PB any day. Flea hero can't mount masc which is the one big plus fleas have.
It's not only about the top speed but mainly because of the acceleration and deceleration buffs with masc activated.

#17 Koniving

    Welcoming Committee

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 22,561 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:22 PM

Grinner makes a great if expensive knockoff Panther. :)
Posted Image

The decal really brings out the best of stealth armor too. They never see it coming. :P
(Unless they do.)

#18 WrathOfDeadguy

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:45 PM

Y'know, I think I'd rather drop in my Death's Knell than either of the 20t IS heroes right now, if superfast screwy harasser was what I wanted that night. Commandos are enjoying something of a renaissance of semi-broken awesomeness after way too many years of being terrible. TDK can dance.

#19 Squiggy McPew

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:16 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 15 January 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

How about the Cipher? 750 for a boosted fish is not bad.


I have both the pirates bane and cipher and prefer the fish. The pb is fun and with 4 meds(er works too but is hot) 2 mg and ecm along with 100% radar dep you can forgo the stealth armour and become a poking fiend. However I've really taken to a 9 er micro 6 mg fit on the cipher that strips armour in a wink as long as you don't mind fighting in the 170m range. Usually zip around playing the squirrel early game to distract then late game I can rush in and pop open components like a real piranha. Both take a ton of skills to make shine though so until you grind out the skill tree especially mobility they are going to be much less fun.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users