Marauders, Who Really Likes Them?

62 replies to this topic

#1 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:15 AM

Hi guys, just wondering why are there so many versions of the Marauder for MWO?

Who voted or asked for the 100 ton Marauder 2?

Anyone hate Marauders?

I personally think the Heavy Marauder and Marauder IIC was enough, did not really asking for another version of the Marauder... so why is it being Launched?

#2 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

The Marauder is iconic to Battletech, but I agree with you. The Marauder 2 will be a giant, lumbering, undergunned oaf of a 'Mech with all of the problems of the IIC and none of the benefits of Clan tech.

#3 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:25 AM

Did PGI win the Copyright lawsuit with Harmony Gold? I was thinking the Zentradi OBP was something of a sensitive issue?

#4 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:31 AM

View PostReposter, on 15 January 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

It was requested a lot. But then, so were the Uziel or the Hellspawn... and where are they now? People rarely think about what is actually fun in game, and what would be a meaningful addition to MWO (like a 20t or 25t jump capable Mech).

The Marauder is iconic, and I personally love the 75t original, but I don't care for the 100t Mary Sue variant.

View PostReposter, on 15 January 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

Did PGI win the Copyright lawsuit with Harmony Gold? I was thinking the Zentradi OBP was something of a sensitive issue?

They continue to use it. We already knew they are allowed to do that, so the Marauder II means very little.
A Wasp or a Crusader... now that would have been some news regarding the resolution of the lawsuit.

#5 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:34 AM

If they won the Lawsuit, I hope they put Sentinel Destroids into the game in the future.

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

View PostFLG 01, on 15 January 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

It was requested a lot. But then, so were the Uziel or the Hellspawn... and where are they now? People rarely think about what is actually fun in game, and what would be a meaningful addition to MWO (like a 20t or 25t jump capable Mech).

The Marauder is iconic, and I personally love the 75t original, but I don't care for the 100t Mary Sue variant.

They continue to use it. We already knew they are allowed to do that, so the Marauder II means very little.
A Wasp or a Crusader... now that would have been some news regarding the resolution of the lawsuit.

Ooh man the Wasp! Brings back memories of Battletech 2. Man, I'd pilot the **** out of that thing.

#7 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Marauder is nostalgia bait, and because the designs share so much with each other, the mech production pipeline is probably shorter for a third Marauder than a brand new chassis. So that equals money.

They settled out of court. It would seem PGI 'won' the settlement, though we'll never know the exact terms. Who knows, maybe they just formalized a trade agreement and Harmony Gold are getting a cut (Unlikely as that may be).

#8 RoadblockXL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

PGI and Harmony Gold came to some kind of agreement that allows PGI to include the Unseen in their games.

Edited by RoadblockXL, 15 January 2019 - 07:36 AM.

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

View PostReposter, on 15 January 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

If they won the Lawsuit, I hope they put Sentinel Destroids into the game in the future.

Uh... what?

#10 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

I want the Chameleon from BattleTech Crescent Hawks Inception...

#11 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

I like Marauders, but I never asked for the Marauder II. I would much rather have more variants of the 75-ton Marauder if I must have more Marauders.

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

Apart from nostalgia, I think it was just a low effort model do produce. They obviously took the 75t-MAD, made it a bit bulkier, put some armourplates around the cockpit, added the stubby wings, tweaked the dorsal gun and voilá, Marauder II.

That being said, I really like the IS Marauder style, so, it's a plus.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 15 January 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#13 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

meh, i'm not that big a fan. what I am really looking forward to is the upcoming Corsair mech its unusual and interesting. there is just something enjoyable about a mech cobbled together from various parts and the different arm geometry between models will be a nice change of pace.

so yeah I have little interest in another Marauder (I don't own any of the current ones after all)

#14 Snakesh1t

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

I'm happy for it....I'd love to see the Wasp and Firefly show up too....and the Falcon while we're at it...

#15 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

I think the 2 is going to be yet another <60kph dog that will get left behind for PIR chum in the solo queue. The week it drops, expect a whole new round of assault tears regarding how everyone else is playing the game wrong.

#16 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

View PostReposter, on 15 January 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

Hi guys, just wondering why are there so many versions of the Marauder for MWO?

Anyone hate Marauders?

I personally think the Heavy Marauder and Marauder IIC was enough, did not really asking for another version of the Marauder... so why is it being Launched?

<----- I like Marauders (and turtles)

However, I would have preferred the Crusader, Wasp/Stinger/ or even the Longbow if I was given the option. That being said, the Marauder II makes sense because they can re-use some art and textures from the Marauder while they work on MW5.

#17 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 15 January 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

Because some people still think PGI is going to give the iconic mechs quirks to justify their mediocre hardpoints and geometry, and sometimes they just don't.

#18 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 15 January 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Because some people still think PGI is going to give the iconic mechs quirks to justify their mediocre hardpoints and geometry, and sometimes they just don't.

Don't forget the Thanatos. Basically, any MW4 mech not name Templar or Fafnir.

#19 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 15 January 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

I remember more than one person coming onto the forums and arguing that iconic mechs should have outright superior performance to 'regular' mechs for... reasons.

Of course, their definition of iconic was a stupid one, too.

#20 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

I like the Marauder. I like the Marauder a lot. I like the Marauder IIC, though I haven't played much with it. I also like the Marauder II from a conceptual standpoint. But it's yet another IS 100 ton mech. There is already plenty of selection in the IS 100 ton market and the Marauder II doesn't bring much else to the table. If it could twist and handle like a Cyclops then you would have something, but I really doubt it will given the amount of firepower it's being given capacity for. So all you're doing is further adding to an already saturated tonnage bracket when other brackets could really use some more representation. So from that perspective, it's pretty disappointing, even if it ends up being a good mech when all is said and done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users