88 replies to this topic

#21 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

The worst NASCAR is when you manage to take the center in Mining Collective and the enemy goes around, and instead of shooting down at them from the top, your team decides to NASCAR them like a bunch of morons.

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 16 January 2019 - 10:43 PM.

#22 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

Troll alert... This tread is like Nascar

#23 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:15 AM

the only scum thats bitching about nascar is the people who cant walk and shoot at the same time.. Thats all

#24 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 16 January 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Mechs have engines for the purpose of locomotion. Use them.

A symmetrical nascar will always eventually result in combat owing to speed differences between the heavy and light elements. The alternative of not moving results in boring [Redacted] cowardice on Frozen city where your body, your brain is not active for five or ten minutes.

Bad nascar is always better than "good", stimulation free camping. Videogames are about neurons firing. As QP lacks a higher purpose the end result is pointless. Better to have higher neural activity than a fifteen minute snoozefest.

why is it that proponents of nascar always think that nascar and standing still in the open are the only 2 options? has it occurred to you that you can group up, move from cover to cover, and form firing lines in any direction? and that supporting your slowest, best armored, most punishing mechs might actually help you win?

Edited by draiocht, 18 January 2019 - 12:32 PM.
Quote Clean-up

#25 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 16 January 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

Why does Nascar always go in an anti-clockwise direction? Every single time. I have never been in a clockwise direction Nascar.

because that is the direction that (al.ost) all professional NASCAR races go in real life; that's why that particular tactic (running in a counterclockwise circle regardless of enemy position or presence of advantageous ground) got the name nascar, and why advocating for nascar no matter what is silly

#26 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 17 January 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

the only scum thats bitching about nascar is the people who cant walk and shoot at the same time.. Thats all

Posted Image

Edited by Kiran Yagami, 17 January 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#27 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostNightbird, on 16 January 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

God forbid any light mech from moving their throttle above 50% without an assault screaming 'Stop Nascaring!!!'

no one who tells don't nascar is yelling at lights, they gotta do their own thing; it's when all the heavies and mediums follow blindly that we have to yell

#28 Knuckles OTool

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

If you ain't first you're last.

#29 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostBenjamin357, on 16 January 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Yep, the worst strategy is where someone calls out "No Nascar!" and then the team, like lemmings follows that order, interpreted as:
Grow roots, standaround potato party.

Yeah I know. What should be said is go to X grid and form a fire line facing the likely approach of the enemy NASCAR. It will mean the smaller faster mechs run into EVERYONE on your team and not the backs of the slowest members of your team.

You meet the NASCAR face forward with a murderball.

#30 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:56 AM

this game is getting worse and worse with all these fricking p.ussies running around, trying to avoid a small laser coming 'round the corner.....

think i'll should stop playing this **** for a while

#31 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:22 AM

Assaults are built to face down the enemy and tank. Lights are built to flank and skirmish. While lights are doing their job (i.e. nascaring), assaults are busy trying to catch up with them (because that toally makes sense when your speed is 3 times slower, right?). And since rear armor on most mechs is about 10 times thinner than the frontal one, somehow surprisingly ASSaults are getting 'outnascared' really fast.

Same way, if lights are trying to 'hold the line' (capitan Kirrahe approves, but sadly for him that has zero relevance in terms of actual warfare and tactics), not using their speed and using their armor (which they have about 4 times less, and just about enough to withstand half of a proper alpha) instead while eating airstrikes and artillery dropped on the 'hold the line' brigade, they get insta-nuked and flood the chat with tears of 'haxx, gauss-OP, strikes-OP, nerf nerf, lights need buffs'.

But we all know what a 'proper' assault pilot wants, right? He wants other mechs to tank for him, so he can sit back and lurm shoot enemies for free. He wants his team lights to 'protect their assaults', since apparently he brought a mech that needs babysitting and everyone should respect that (lol, no ... and lets be honest, he simply can't hit enemy lights to begin with). Indeed I wonder why exactly people in more mobile mechs are so eager to 'nascar' away from these kind of assaults.

I play all classes in equal measure (everyone can check the stats), and somehow, magically, in thousands of matches I have never been outnascared in any of my assaults including DireWolves, Annihilators, Supernovas and so on ... Nor have I ever died in an assault while still having front armor and not having rear one.

tldr: Get a clue, grow some balls and nascar magically stops being an issue.

#32 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:28 AM

View PostOrmsbyGore, on 17 January 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

why is it that proponents of nascar always think that nascar and standing still in the open are the only 2 options? has it occurred to you that you can group up, move from cover to cover, and form firing lines in any direction? and that supporting your slowest, best armored, most punishing mechs might actually help you win?

Support them how exactly? ... Blue team assaults stand in cover, red team assaults stand in cover 600m away. Most light mechs have effective weapon range of 200m, what are they supposed to do? Run around their asasults while looking pretty? Do nothing for 10 mins?

#33 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:31 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 16 January 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

Implying this game has new players. XD

He just used a polite word instead of the other one.

#34 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:23 AM

'nascar' isn't the only strategy, as you see if you ever watch any competitive play

it is however the easiest strategy, which makes it a good fit for pug teams that're gonna execute haphazardly at best

like, setting up 'firing lines' or turtling up at a specific spot is actually pretty difficult: you gotta pick the right spot, have good communication, have a team running suitable loadouts, etc. Pug teams that try to do it usually just get waxed by strikes and peekers, not to mention wasting any of their own mechs that happen to have dropped in short range configs.

getting to the front of the pack is not difficult in a slow assault if you actually make the effort to do it; I've been playing my loyalty atlas for this event and I almost always wind up in the lead by doing nothing more than redlining the throttle and walking to the spot I want. Most people play assaults like they're just heavies with more guns though, and wind up getting left behind.

#35 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:02 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 18 January 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

tldr: Get a clue, grow some balls and nascar magically stops being an issue.

Thats the damn point! Nobody wants to face the enemy these days. I'm in my assaults and i'm lucky to have another assault with me tanking or pushing -> thats it, everybody else starts running.... instead of turning around, build firing line and let the enemy nascar come one by one and gets alphas from everybody...

No one wants to get his armor scratched in this "pvp" game... its full of cowards who should play hello kitty instead.

Damn i'm that frustrated....

Infos and calls over voice getting ignored 99% of the matches... all the lemmings following the lights, trying to catch up with them or trying to land the final hit on their poor lonely target...

This game is full of idiots i cannot stand anymore.

#36 Maugged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:47 AM

I guess the amount of lrms you find in game plays a role. Who wants to sit and wait to get lrm rained to death? There's never been so many lrms with large wide open maps. The problem with this game is that each and every bit of gameplay seem to be thought independantly from the rest, game mechanics bit regarding to map design. This should have been all thought and prepared before starting to make the game but today we get devs who don't even know where it's going to lead them. You can thank that new game developping fantasy which consists in selling as soon as possible without having a real plan behind. If PGI would bring more maps making it very hard to use lrms then people would use less lrms and you'd face more old school type of battles.

#37 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:09 AM

Nascar is not the problem but trying to run away from a faster team it is.

#38 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:31 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 18 January 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

Nascar is not the problem but trying to run away from a faster team it is.

That's all nascar is. Each team pretending they're faster than the other team. You don't find out whose actually faster until it's 6-0, and by then the NPCs are so focused on nascaring that they disregard anything else, including being shot in the back.

But Alpha lance is garbage anyways, so I always disregard them at the beginning of a match. It takes about 60 seconds for *boom*! And the score is 0-2 from suicide lance engaging an entire enemy team on their own just to get one UAV that is immediately shot down. What wins games in accounting for that stupidity in your plan and focusing on evening the score, starting with killing their suicide lance.

#39 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:36 AM

View PostKnuckles OTool, on 17 January 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

If you ain't first you're last.

This makes no sense in this game.
Knuckles 4Brains

#40 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

First,

Quit trying to follow your own lights. Ideally they're going to go places and do stuff mediums, heavies and assaults shouldn't do.

Second,

Sometimes rotating in one direction or the other is a great idea. Camping in one spot unless you're a coordinated team with a coordinated gunline deck is a horrible, horrible idea.

Third,

If you're in a heavy or an assault you have to be on the ball and taking whatever shortcuts you need to in order to keep up with the rest of the heavies and mediums.

Fourth,

Be willing and able to shift direction and position if that's a better strategic choices. Rotating toward your own assaults is always better than away from them. If your lights go right and the rest of your team goes left that's often better than everyone trying to go right. See the first point above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users