88 replies to this topic

#41 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:50 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 18 January 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

Assaults are built to face down the enemy and tank. Lights are built to flank and skirmish. While lights are doing their job (i.e. nascaring), assaults are busy trying to catch up with them (because that toally makes sense when your speed is 3 times slower, right?). And since rear armor on most mechs is about 10 times thinner than the frontal one, somehow surprisingly ASSaults are getting 'outnascared' really fast.

Same way, if lights are trying to 'hold the line' (capitan Kirrahe approves, but sadly for him that has zero relevance in terms of actual warfare and tactics), not using their speed and using their armor (which they have about 4 times less, and just about enough to withstand half of a proper alpha) instead while eating airstrikes and artillery dropped on the 'hold the line' brigade, they get insta-nuked and flood the chat with tears of 'haxx, gauss-OP, strikes-OP, nerf nerf, lights need buffs'.

But we all know what a 'proper' assault pilot wants, right? He wants other mechs to tank for him, so he can sit back and lurm shoot enemies for free. He wants his team lights to 'protect their assaults', since apparently he brought a mech that needs babysitting and everyone should respect that (lol, no ... and lets be honest, he simply can't hit enemy lights to begin with). Indeed I wonder why exactly people in more mobile mechs are so eager to 'nascar' away from these kind of assaults.

I play all classes in equal measure (everyone can check the stats), and somehow, magically, in thousands of matches I have never been outnascared in any of my assaults including DireWolves, Annihilators, Supernovas and so on ... Nor have I ever died in an assault while still having front armor and not having rear one.

tldr: Get a clue, grow some balls and nascar magically stops being an issue.

You'remostly wrong. Assaults are absolutely there to fight and tank but they can't do that unsupported and the best counter to a light mech harassing an Assault is often another light mech. Also, it isn't only the light mechs running around the NASCAR track, it is the heavies and mediums as well. This creates a situation where 1-3 assault mechs are left completely exposed and even if they stop and form a firing line the full force of the enemy NASCAR will hit them way before your NASCAR catches up with their tail meaning any mech that does stop and attempt to fight, gets steamrolled usually at 2-1 or greater odds while trying to also fight off light mechs that they aren't well equipped to deal with.

So....... Those Assaults only have one option. Pump their slow arse legs as fast as they can to try to catch up, often exposing their very thin rear armor to any of the enemy that managed to catch them before they can catch the main body of their own team. Also even if they do manage to catch their team, they STILL can't turn to fight because within the 30-45 seconds it take them to get turned around and position themselves to push back at the enemy, the remainder of the team has run off again leaving in the same situation I describe above. Instead they have to push to the front of the NASCAR and concentrate more on trying to stay with a team that might be twice as fast as them than actually pointing their guns at the enemy and pushing the fire button.

Of course for all this effort they get labled as "Under-Performing" or "Potato" players when the real potatoes are the ones running off leaving their Assaults unsupported.

Oh and like you I play all classes of mech from the fastest lights to the slowest assaults but unlike you I understand that failure of the NASCAR tactic and my failure as a player when I get sucked into accommodating it. Then again, if I don't attempt to stick with the NASCAR and actually stop to support the slower mechs like I know we should be doing, I will end up like those poor slow assault mechs no matter what class I play even if I am screaming into the mic for the rest of the team to offer support. No one will listen anyway so why bother?

So to all you slow Assault mech pilots. When you choose that mech just understand immediately that in one out of three matches you're your going to be left behind to die and be labeled as a "Potato". To all those fast NASCAR drivers, just understand that you are in actual fact the "Potato" for leaving your strongest, most powerful mechs behind to die. For all those Assault mech pilots who load up on LRMs and hide 600m from the front line preserving your armor, just uninstall the game cause your worse than a Potato.

#42 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 18 January 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

Blah blah blah words ...

You know what I like about it the most? ... The fact that a guy with 300 played matches, 250 average match score and 0.95 W/L ratio tryes to teach a guy with 25.000 matches, 350 average match score and 1.9 W/L ratio how to play this game. But hey ... knock yourself out.

Edit:

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 18 January 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

Oh and like you I play all classes of mech from the fastest lights to the slowest assaults

Oh and btw ... try to BS someone else. Your whooping 14 career matches in a light mech with 0.75 W/L hardly qualifies as 'playing all classes', let alone 'understanding' anything.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 18 January 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#43 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 January 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

... vehiclekind ...

Posted Image

#44 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 18 January 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

You know what I like about it the most? ... The fact that a guy with 300 played matches, 250 average match score and 0.95 W/L ratio tryes to teach a guy with 25.000 matches, 350 average match score and 1.9 W/L ratio how to play this game. But hey ... knock yourself out.

Edit:

Oh and btw ... try to BS someone else. Your whooping 14 career matches in a light mech with 0.75 W/L hardly qualifies as 'playing all classes', let alone 'understanding' anything.

Hmm. I have 5330 Current matches played. 2263 Archived from Open Beta before they did the stat change. So 7593 matches total.

Current:
MechWarrior Credits 18,398 Kills / Death 5,116 / 3,522 C-Bills 16,615,495 Experience Points 8,549,503 Wins / Losses 2,810 / 2,520 Kill / Death Ratio 1.45 Accumulative C-Bills Per Match 187,708.75 Avg. XP Per Match 1,604.03
Archived:
MechWarrior Credits 18,398 Kills / Death 2,156 / 1,428 C-Bills 16,615,495 Experience Points 1,784,867 Wins / Losses 1,164 / 1,089 Kill / Death Ratio 1.51 Accumulative C-Bills Per Match 124,762.46 Avg. XP Per Match 792.22

***EDIT*** I know what happened. I had a free name change token and decided to change my name to something I thought was cooler sounding than Viktor Drake. I didn't realize that it wouldn't carry my stats over from my old name.

I might not have 25k matches but I have been around a long time and am very familiar with the game. Also the amount of matches I have or don't have mean very little because I am also ex-military and have hands on experience with real tactics, enough at least to be able to analyze tactics and be able to determine what makes sense and what doesn't. NASCAR'ing out of good positioning and cover is bad. That should be pretty obvious to anyone. NASCAR'ing and leaving half your team to die is bad. Again should be obvious. The Assault don't dictate the pace of the game, the fast movers do. Again obvious. If the team is failing because half its mechs can't keep up with the fast movers again pretty obvious the issue is with the fast movers not adapting to their team make up.

Seriously, when you notice you have very slow assaults on your team, fast movers need to adapt for the simple reason they are the only mechs capable of adapting. The Slow Assaults can't suddenly put on a burst of speed to catch up but the Fast Movers absolutely can use their speed to re-position to support the team if required. If they are choosing to not adapt and leave their teammates behind, that is 100% on them, no one else.

Edited by Angel of Annihilation, 18 January 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#45 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:47 AM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 18 January 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

Stuff ...

Look, I'm not even gonna bother going into a debate here for one simple reason.

Lets assume I believe your name change and stats. With so many matches everything else but you averages out, the only constant is you. Your career W/L is 1.1, lately its down to 0.9. Basically that means that your presence on the team is irrelevant. The decisions you make, including tactical, do NOT impact the team in any positive way.

So, what makes you think you can teach others, let alone people with nearly twice your W/L ratio, how to play the game, while your actions and your tactical choices do NOT help the team win?

Real life military tactics have little to no relevance in this game. You do not 'tank' as an infantryman in RL, same way as assaults in MWO do not serve as mobile cover for lighter mechs and so on.

This isn't meant as ridiculing anyone or '1v1-me-bro-internet-epeen' kinda thing. Your W/L is a direct result of your in-game decisions and performance. If your W/L displays no positive impact on the team chances to win, that means your tactical decisions are NOT beneficial towards team victory. This is a simple fact, proven by stats.

#46 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 16 January 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Mechs have engines for the purpose of locomotion. Use them.

A symmetrical nascar will always eventually result in combat owing to speed differences between the heavy and light elements. The alternative of not moving results in boring [Redacted] cowardice on Frozen city where your body, your brain is not active for five or ten minutes.

Bad nascar is always better than "good", stimulation free camping. Videogames are about neurons firing. As QP lacks a higher purpose the end result is pointless. Better to have higher neural activity than a fifteen minute snoozefest.

There's me thinking slicing into enemy nascar from a lateral position and smashing the s**t out of them was the way to do it!

#47 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 19 January 2019 - 05:47 AM, said:

Lets assume I believe your name change and stats. With so many matches everything else but you averages out, the only constant is you. Your career W/L is 1.1, lately its down to 0.9. Basically that means that your presence on the team is irrelevant. The decisions you make, including tactical, do NOT impact the team in any positive way.

So, what makes you think you can teach others, let alone people with nearly twice your W/L ratio, how to play the game, while your actions and your tactical choices do NOT help the team win?

Real life military tactics have little to no relevance in this game. You do not 'tank' as an infantryman in RL, same way as assaults in MWO do not serve as mobile cover for lighter mechs and so on.

This isn't meant as ridiculing anyone or '1v1-me-bro-internet-epeen' kinda thing. Your W/L is a direct result of your in-game decisions and performance. If your W/L displays no positive impact on the team chances to win, that means your tactical decisions are NOT beneficial towards team victory. This is a simple fact, proven by stats.

You do have to realize that understanding tactics and being able to push WASD and a couple mouse buttons are different skills right? You can actually be god's gift to the MWO world and be the absolute best single pilot in the game and not have a single clue about tactics. They are two different things. I will grant you that to understand tactics you have to have experience in the game but piloting skill has very little to do with understanding tactics on the scale of what the entire team should or shouldn't be doing in order to win a battle and this is where the problem lies. Often people mistake piloting skills for expertise in tactics and think just because they are a good pilot, they know everything there is to know about tactics.

However, let's say your right and the difference is my and your win rate has to do with the fact your a better pilot. Let's say is it all you carrying the team to victory over and over. What does that have to do with Tactics? I mean if both teams are equally using bad tactics, then obviously the team with the better pilots win. I mean as much as I complain about my team NASCARing out of the best tactical positions, the other team does it just as often so the result here is just two teams using bad tactics. It sure the hell doesn't prove that the tactics are good. I mean hell, standing shoulder to shoulder in tightly packed lines out in the open firing muskets at each other in the Civil War doesn't sound like a good tactic to me but it sure the hell didn't stop them from doing it. It wasn't until a relatively short time later, that someone changed their tactics, beat the snot out of the country using the bad tactics and changed how wars were fought. Same thing with MWO.

NASCAR as a tactic is kind of like standing in a line shoulder to shoulder during the Civil War. It works sometimes, if both sides use the same tactic and you have have randomly got lucky enough to have better pilots and/or faster Assaults. However it isn't the tactic that is allowing you to succeed, it is the MM random assignment of mechs and pilots that allows you to success. Good tactics on the other hand, allow you to succeed despite the MM.

#48 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

Just a couple of notes: first, ad hominem attacks are usually a sign that your argument can't stand on its own merit; second, when you point to your stats and compare them to another's it is reminiscent of an appeal to authority, which is a well known logical fallacy (again, your argument should stand on its own merits); third, wins and losses are most certainly not a direct result of an individual's decisions, but rather a composite of their decisions, those of their 11 teammates, and those of the 12 opponents. It is entirely possible that his teams were on track to get stomped 12-0, but his decisions mitigated the damage and turned it into a 12-8 loss (for the sake of argument).

#49 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:58 AM

View PostOrmsbyGore, on 19 January 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

third, wins and losses are most certainly not a direct result of an individual's decisions, but rather a composite of their decisions, those of their 11 teammates, and those of the 12 opponents. It is entirely possible that his teams were on track to get stomped 12-0, but his decisions mitigated the damage and turned it into a 12-8 loss (for the sake of argument).

Its adorable how you quote a post without even reading it. Let me help you, since you are so knowledgeable in terms of logic and whatnot ...

With so many matches everything else but you averages out, the only constant is you.

Do I need to elaborate, you can you figure it out yourself?

#50 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 19 January 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

You do have to realize that understanding tactics and being able to push WASD and a couple mouse buttons are different skills right? You can actually be god's gift to the MWO world and be the absolute best single pilot in the game and not have a single clue about tactics.

Yeah yeah, coz a great solo pilot can totally go and kill 12 mechs by himself in this game ... sigh. Whatever. You don't want to learn, you want to continue to be mediocre. Keep blaming your 'nascaring' team instead of looking at where the real problem is. All the best to you with that plan.

#51 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:39 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 17 January 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

the only scum thats bitching about nascar is the people who cant walk and shoot at the same time.. Thats all

LOL.

I can shoot and move and i am bitching about nascar because when pugs doing nascar its like teenies talking about life experience...its ridiculous.

#52 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

Nascar also leaves assaults behind to get chewed up by fast mechs
making less people play assaults
nascar also goes against teamplay due to said assault getting left behind
nascar also forces the high engine meta

Nascar is not good, its bad

Teams should follow the assaults, they are slow and pack alot of armor and firepower.
The only mechs that should ever break off formation are fast lights because they are the ones that spot the enemy movement

#53 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 January 2019 - 02:02 AM, said:

Yeah yeah, coz a great solo pilot can totally go and kill 12 mechs by himself in this game ... sigh. Whatever. You don't want to learn, you want to continue to be mediocre. Keep blaming your 'nascaring' team instead of looking at where the real problem is. All the best to you with that plan.

You should reread the previous postings...

Now what was said (and I will try using very basic terms)

If both teams are choosing equally poor tactics (go fast,turn left and shoot red guys) then the tactic isn't the winning variable it's the abilities of those performing the inferior shared tactic that can make a difference.

So let's say there is this wicked awesome incredibly heroic pilot (let's call this guy Fire-Phoenix) now this pilot drops into a thousand games that utilize NASCAR tactics and he is just awesome like the bestest ever in all one thousand matches.

Both teams NASCAR but one team has the heroic Fire-Phoenix (he's sooo dreamy) now the important variable becomes what team get's this awesome cool dood and not NASCAR. Since everyone is going fast and turning left and shooting the red guys what really matters is who does this very simple set of manuvers best.

It's the randomness of matchmaker that has the highest influence and not the low brow tactic of "go fast,turn left and shoot red"

Fire-Phoenix (may angels praise his name) doesn't choose his team in a solo queue match maker it's random chance who gets graced with this peerless soul as a team mate.

Or is your argument that it's the brilliant tactic of go fast-turn left-shoot closest red guy that is superior? And not the relative skill levels of players? Because if it is the tactics that matter then wouldn't this mean that you should be arguing the validity of tactics that oppose each other and not who has what stats?

Edited by Lykaon, 20 January 2019 - 08:11 PM.

#54 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

Of all the PvP games I play, MWO seems to be the only one afflicted with this "NASCAR", while others are free of it. Why so? It makes a good analytical study of game dynamics and flow to explain why.

Edited by Anjian, 20 January 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#55 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Better strategy - reverse nascar
congeal on the assaults and walk right into the enemy. Faster enemy mechs will be at the front of their nascar, running into a full firing line

Only downside is you have to get your whole team to agree to do it before hand

#56 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 18 January 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

Assaults are built to face down the enemy and tank. Lights are built to flank and skirmish. While lights are doing their job (i.e. nascaring), assaults are busy trying to catch up with them (because that toally makes sense when your speed is 3 times slower, right?). And since rear armor on most mechs is about 10 times thinner than the frontal one, somehow surprisingly ASSaults are getting 'outnascared' really fast.

Same way, if lights are trying to 'hold the line' (capitan Kirrahe approves, but sadly for him that has zero relevance in terms of actual warfare and tactics), not using their speed and using their armor (which they have about 4 times less, and just about enough to withstand half of a proper alpha) instead while eating airstrikes and artillery dropped on the 'hold the line' brigade, they get insta-nuked and flood the chat with tears of 'haxx, gauss-OP, strikes-OP, nerf nerf, lights need buffs'.

But we all know what a 'proper' assault pilot wants, right? He wants other mechs to tank for him, so he can sit back and lurm shoot enemies for free. He wants his team lights to 'protect their assaults', since apparently he brought a mech that needs babysitting and everyone should respect that (lol, no ... and lets be honest, he simply can't hit enemy lights to begin with). Indeed I wonder why exactly people in more mobile mechs are so eager to 'nascar' away from these kind of assaults.

I play all classes in equal measure (everyone can check the stats), and somehow, magically, in thousands of matches I have never been outnascared in any of my assaults including DireWolves, Annihilators, Supernovas and so on ... Nor have I ever died in an assault while still having front armor and not having rear one.

tldr: Get a clue, grow some balls and nascar magically stops being an issue.

Evasion always and I mean always trumps armor. You will run out armor the enemy never runs out of missing.

While assaults have the most armor they are also the most easily hit. So they can take the most damage but get hit the most, essentially not the "best" option to put on the front to be seen first and targeted by multiple enemies.

I would say Assaults are built to deal damage while compromising mobility (evasion) for offense and armor value. Since evasion is tied to mobility and evasion is the superior defense Assault mechs are a compromise to deliver FIREPOWER to the battle field and not "tank" for a team.

I have divereted more firepower with more reliable effect in a light mech than any assault mech could. That is the whole reason for the "don't chase the squirrel" principle. Multiple mechs shooting and missing a light evasive mech are not posing any threat to an approaching assault mech or if done right a significant threat to the diversionary squirrel mech.

Now onto your second point..."hold the line" you are either not well versed in how to play a light mech or you are shaping the narrative to create a "strawman" by even suggesting light mechs would "hold the line" by standing still.
Since you don't seem like an idiot I will confidently say you are going with the strawman plan.

Obviously since evasion beats armor as a defense a mech with ++++ evasion and + armor would leverage the evasion right?

So "holding the line" would probably mean performing in a "picket" capacity by deploying wide on a flank along an obvious NASCAR route either unseen and awaiting an opertunity to strike or as "squirrels" to divert firepower from the more easily hit and destroyed assaults. (probably a little of both) Either way the light mech Picket can provide their team with early warning of the enemy approach and what units are approaching.

A proper assault pilot will realize that their mechs most exploitable weakness is a lack of evasion and the most potent advantage is the assault mech's firepower. So it's not unreasonable to expect an assault pilot to leverage cover and teammates providing distractions to over come the weakness of limited evasion in order to leverage superior firepower. After all the enemy will miss a more agile target more often than a lumbering wall of guns and an enemy not actively countering the incoming firepower from an assault is more likely to be hit solidly (they can't twist if they can't see it coming)

There is nuance beyond the surface of what many players assume to be the roles defined by a mech weight class.

Not all assault mechs are "assault mechs" not every light mech is a "light mech"

As to your Tldr:

I agree that many if not most of the issues many if not most players complain about NASCAR are heavily mitigated simply by paying attention and gettin a move on fast and early in the match.

That being said...NASCAR in solo queue is not as much a tactic as a coin toss on what the match maker gave you.

Team A gets a direwolf a annihilator and a Mauler
Team B gets a Kodiak a Madcat MKII and a Charger

Team A gets a flea a Urbanmech and a Raven
Team B gets a Wolfhound and a pair of Piranhas

Team A gets Joe average tier 1 XP bar
Team B gets Max awesomesauce Tier 1 god

Since both teams are utilizing equally weak NASCAR tactics of go fast-turn left-shoot red guys it's the variables of the matchmaker that decide who wins not the tactics.

#57 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:47 PM

I used to be a little sympathetic to assault pilots complaining about nascar.

That only lasted until i strapped myself into an assault and scored better, killed more and somehow always seemed to be in the front while the rest of charlie continued complaining about being left behind because they kept stopping randomly to eat boogers.

I've seriously noticed assault pilots grind to a halt to stare at an enemy light popping its head up from halfway across the map, and refusing to move for 5-10 seconds at a time.

#58 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:19 AM

View PostLykaon, on 20 January 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

If both teams are choosing equally poor tactics (go fast,turn left and shoot red guys) then the tactic isn't the winning variable it's the abilities of those performing the inferior shared tactic that can make a difference.

It is always a combination of both, yet one of the distinct differences of MWO compared to your aveage FPS game, is that tactics and positioning here matters way more than wicked twitch reflexes and aiming skills. Unlike CG:GO, given the equal skill of your opponent you can't 'dodge' shots in MWO, you will take same amount of damage you dish out if you 'trade' while being in opponents firing arc. Hence the only way to not take damage while still dishing damage is being outside of said firing arc, i.e. flank and/or find proper angles, i.e. what most see as 'nascar'.

View PostLykaon, on 20 January 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Because if it is the tactics that matter then wouldn't this mean that you should be arguing the validity of tactics that oppose each other and not who has what stats?

Not gonna bother arguing anything with a guy who's only argument is 'you are wrong, I am right'.

View PostLykaon, on 20 January 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

Evasion always and I mean always trumps armor. You will run out armor the enemy never runs out of missing.

It works really well in potatoe queue, sure, but we all know that lights are the vastly inferior class when teams with players who can aim meet. So having more armor begins to matter way more. Sure its better to evade when possible, and given the long distance of engagement even assaults can evade, especially using cover. But it doesn't mean that evading is all you should ever do, especially so in assaults, and still so in lights closer to the end of the game.

Sharing armor equally among the team is what actually wins games as it allows you to retain full team firepower for longer periods. You never or hardly ever see this happening in QuickPlay tho for multiple reasons. One being that there are always cowards who hide all game doing basically nothing (except maybe lurming dirt and rocks). Two being non-coward pilots 'nascaring' away from their coward pilots in order to use them as sacrificial lambs / meatshields, and thus increase the chances of winning since the prolonged life of people who shoot enemies is beneficial vs prolonged life of people who do nothing. Many others as well, along the lines of poor team cohesion in terms of builds, playstyles, positioning and so on.

While assaults have the most armor they are also the most easily hit. So they can take the most damage but get hit the most, essentially not the "best" option to put on the front to be seen first and targeted by multiple enemies.

This statement is false per se, because it depends on what you are doing. If you are doing stationary defence you are supposed to put assaults in the back, because they are easier to hit and because defensive assaults will obviously have longer range weaponry. And obviously you need a 'screening' / 'skirmishing' force of lighter mechs between them and the enemy. On the contrary, if you are on the offensive and aggressivly pushing the enemy, you put your assaults at the very front, as they have close range weaponry, can take more punishment, live and retain firepower longer, as well as being generally least important mech class since they lack the ability to rapidly reach enemy mechs spread out on the defensive positions.

But the thing is, in reality, it is highly irrelevant who is in the front and who takes damage, what matters is that all mechs are able to shoot the enemy, and more importantly, all mechs are able to shoot the same enemy, i.e. focus fire in order to start reducing enemy team firepower as fast as possible.

Obviously some mechs are better suited for tanking and taking damage and some less. But if you bring a mech into QuickPlay it is YOUR responsibility to figure out how to be effective regardless of your team actions. If you bring a slow assault and then keep trying to catch up with the rest of the team that runs away instead of doing something that is actually possible ... well, I have no sympathy for that whatsoever. High individual W/L and consequently winning in solo queue comes not from being the best shooter, but from being able to quickly adapt to any given situation and use your mech effectively on any map regardless of the loadout.

I would say Assaults are built to deal damage while compromising mobility (evasion) for offense and armor value. Since evasion is tied to mobility and evasion is the superior defense Assault mechs are a compromise to deliver FIREPOWER to the battle field and not "tank" for a team.

Again, this isn't true per se. Given you can have a light mech like a Piranha with ~12+ DPS easily these days, I'd rather have a highly mobile 12 DPS mech that can get anywhere, including enemy rear, really fast, rather than, say a DireWolf with ~15 DPS that basically can't get anywhere at all. So yeah well ... go 'tank' Dire. It still highly depends on what you are doing, i.e. offense, defense, and what your objective is. I'd take a fresh light with 2 DPS over a fresh assaults with ALL DA FIREPOWER in the end of a conquest game for example. But given the concept of sharing armor I've already talked about, high firepower / high importance mechs do have to 'tank' at some point.

I have divereted more firepower with more reliable effect in a light mech than any assault mech could. That is the whole reason for the "don't chase the squirrel" principle. Multiple mechs shooting and missing a light evasive mech are not posing any threat to an approaching assault mech or if done right a significant threat to the diversionary squirrel mech.

Very true. Given one, enemy team is actually missing, and two, your team does something useful during your squirrel run. But still, the way you do this, is by separating or in other words 'nascaring' away from your team. And trust me, 99 out of 100 'waa waa nascar' crybabies wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a light running away from them to do smth useful and a light just running away. Hence, they'll follow it because 'waa waa team leaves me', instead of doing what they should do while one or several mobile mechs do the distraction. Somehow its always 'waa waa waa useless lights ran away', and yet its the light mech with 100m weapon range and 700 damage in the end of the match vs an assault with 1km range and 100 damage. So, who's been useless?

Now onto your second point..."hold the line" you are either not well versed in how to play a light mech or you are shaping the narrative to create a "strawman" by even suggesting light mechs would "hold the line" by standing still.
Since you don't seem like an idiot I will confidently say you are going with the strawman plan.

Hold the line wasn't really my point tho, it was brought up several times before as something that a team is supposed to do when facing enemy nascar. People did suggest turning to face the enemy when first nascar mechs arrive in order to punish them. Obviously they just suggest and never actually do that, because what they fail to think through, is that while you are nascaring you are being proactive and thus you can always stop where YOU want when you've established a good flanking position. On the contrary if you are being reactive to enemy nascar, you stop where THEY want you to, i.e. most likely an open ground just behind a ridge or a corner of a rock / building, where enemies can easily see your position and poke you to death. And if its open ground it doesn't really matter if you stand still or not, you are in the open, anyone can shoot you, its easy to focus fire, people who can aim will either kill a light mech right away or at least cripple it, unless it 'nascars' away. You might think that lights are safe just because there are bigger targets around, but thats not true either. For example when I peek around a corner in a mech with high alpha and see a light and an assault in the open (both fresh), I will always shoot a light, because I got one shot and because one shot won't kill/cripple an assault, but it will either kill or cripple a light.

So "holding the line" would probably mean performing in a "picket" capacity by deploying wide on a flank along an obvious NASCAR route either unseen and awaiting an opertunity to strike or as "squirrels" to divert firepower from the more easily hit and destroyed assaults. (probably a little of both) Either way the light mech Picket can provide their team with early warning of the enemy approach and what units are approaching.

Yeah sure, 'picket' is good when its possible. But imagine say Caustic rotation round the middle. You form a heavy / assault line facing left awaiting nascar. Where would you go with your light mech 'picket'? You can't go left since there is no cover whatsoever, you are forced to go right where there is some, i.e. 'nascar'. And again, I do 'picket', but the 'waa waa' crybaby would think I'm 'nascaring' away and run after me instead of holding said line. Doing a very wide left picket is possible, but requires a lot of time in advance, which is never available because nobody does proper scouting and frankly maps are way too small, and is risking running into multiple enemy mechs doing wide nascar.

A proper assault pilot will realize that their mechs most exploitable weakness is a lack of evasion and the most potent advantage is the assault mech's firepower. So it's not unreasonable to expect an assault pilot to leverage cover and teammates providing distractions to over come the weakness of limited evasion in order to leverage superior firepower. After all the enemy will miss a more agile target more often than a lumbering wall of guns and an enemy not actively countering the incoming firepower from an assault is more likely to be hit solidly (they can't twist if they can't see it coming)

Oh and by all means I will support such an assault. Thing is, you meet these kind of players like once in 15-20 matches, and you know most of em by name now anyway.

There is nuance beyond the surface of what many players assume to be the roles defined by a mech weight class.
Not all assault mechs are "assault mechs" not every light mech is a "light mech"

Yes and no. Yes, because we all know Gargoyle playstyle is that of a heavy. No, because Gargoyle still have armor+structure worth of one-and-a-half assault mech.

I agree that many if not most of the issues many if not most players complain about NASCAR are heavily mitigated simply by paying attention and gettin a move on fast and early in the match.

They are not mitigated, they are completely non-existent.

That being said...NASCAR in solo queue is not as much a tactic as a coin toss on what the match maker gave you.

Team A gets a direwolf a annihilator and a Mauler
Team B gets a Kodiak a Madcat MKII and a Charger

Team A gets a flea a Urbanmech and a Raven
Team B gets a Wolfhound and a pair of Piranhas

Team A gets Joe average tier 1 XP bar
Team B gets Max awesomesauce Tier 1 god

Since both teams are utilizing equally weak NASCAR tactics of go fast-turn left-shoot red guys it's the variables of the matchmaker that decide who wins not the tactics.

No, because the pace of the solo QuickPlay games is so slow, even Dires and Annis have plenty of time to get wherever they want. Group queue is more fast paced and there I'd partially agree with you. But in the end of the day, it is the job of everyone on the team to recognize what kind of mechs you have and whether you can or can't nascar / hold the line effectively. The problem is however, that you are PUGging, i.e. you don't know what weapons your teammates have or what speed their mechs have (unless omni). Without that knowledge I will do what MY mech does best regardless of what some crybaby in a 40 kph lurmageddon assault wants me to.

#59 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:26 AM

I can see now there is some fixation of proving the validity of using simple basic tactics as the best tactics but and I want to make this abundantly clear, the Match maker has the most say on if a NASCAR will be victorious for your team.

Does NASCAR work? well yes it works 100% of the time for 50% of the teams that use it.

Does NASCAR as a tactic leverage many unique advantages a team may possess...nope it leverages speed coupled with mech build efficiency with pilot skill. All factors decided by random chance by the match maker in the solo queue.

So if the match maker has assigned more mechs that are better suited to pursuit combat to one team and not the other the match maker has decided that not the players in the match. If the matchmaker has selected an exceptional pilot for one team and not the other the matchmaker has chosen to place this exception pilot on that team and in a highly predictable and easily exploited enviorment where that player's ability is heavily enhanced (due to the predictable nature of NASCAR)

By continuing to turn left/go real fast/shoot closest "red" the underdog team is only playing against a stacked deck in the enemy team's favor. If the enemy team is just better suited to pursuit combat and/or has the superior experienced player(s) the predictable nature of the NASCAR is of NO advantage to the underdog team.

I have a more than adiquately supported argument that match maker factors weigh heavily on match outcome in a NASCAR situation. That is whole basis of my argument.

NASCAR will work 100% of the time for 50% of the teams that use that tactic against the same NASCAR tactic. But it's a coin toss of the match maker more than the choice of tactic that determines the winners.

Since this is (or should be) a fairly obvious truth I would then suppose that NASCAR is a bad tactic. It lacks the scope to deal with asymmetric team abilities and empowers random chance choices of the match maker above "normal" levels.

You will probably become offended by my next statement but it is not intended as jab or insult.

You do not seem to be a strong tactician. Your arguments tend to lean on proving your view is correct and others are wrong rather than objective analysis of the points of view. You are better at shooting the bad guys than many many others and my argument is not based on you needing to be bad at this game. My argument is entirely based upon NASCAR not being a particularly well rounded strategy and how NASCAR is very heavily influenced by match maker choices over player choices (in solo queue in particular)

To me it seems obvious that NASCAR is a flimsy at best choice of tactics because by it's nature it does the following.

Does not utilize the strengths of a team to oppose potential asymmetry in team ability.

High risk of abandoning team resources potentially enhancing any previously existing asymmetry in team composition.

Highly predictable and easily exploited tactic that will also enhance any existing asymmetry in team composition.

Instead, adopting a tactic to address a team's short comings that minimize potential effects of asymmetric team compositions would be a far superior option ...but the problem with this is it's easier to just NASCAR than think of how to exploit an enemy's choice to NASCAR.

#60 DANKnuggz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

Nascar works if your team stays BALLED UP in a group...

However 95% of pug match Nascaring is the fast mechs charging forward as fast as they can, heedless of the slower mechs getting left behind.

If you can't think of anything to do other than stand in place once Nascaring is taken out of the picture perhaps you're a moron?

Whichever strategy your team implements you need to STAY TIGHT as a GROUP since you're FAR more likely to win if you're together and focusing fire... The longer your formation stretches the farther your teams mechs are apart and the easier they are to isolate and kill. This isn't rocket science. Its a concept so simple a child should be able to see why and how it works.

Edited by DANKnuggz, 21 January 2019 - 10:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users