Back Armor Insanity

41 replies to this topic

#1 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

Last night I crept up on a Jager (-A) boating LRMs. Alpha in his rear CT with 4cMPL and LB20. Turned his back armor orange.

Me: wtf

By now targeting comes up and I figure it's worth an XL check. Alpha his rear LT. Armor turns orange.

Me: what is going on? did I desync? is hit reg borked?

He finally turns around, I alpha his LT from the front. Boom, insta-dead.

This dude literally put 90% of his torso armor on the back. Is this a new LRMer meta? Hands up, how many of you run with huge back armor values? I've seen some crazy builds in this game, but I was honestly stunned after seeing this.

#2 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

I mean.. ok... I guess that pilot has been touched by a PIR/COM one to many times.

#3 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

I mean you know potatoes by their back armor values but you never know until you shoot them.

#4 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 18 January 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

I mean you know potatoes by their back armor values but you never know until you shoot them.

Potatoes gonna potate

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

It kinda makes sense. I mean with all the hand wringing over “LURMers standing in the back”, etc. These people probably do get hit from behind more than the rest of us.

Some of these people probably had the realization that “hey, these Piranhas keep taking out my back while I stand still behind the rest of my team, maybe I should just put all my armor on my back? I mean its not like I ever get shot in the front. Hmmm, I think I’m on to something here.” Or maybe this is their way of finally sharing armor?

#6 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

I remember on one of my mechs I totally forgot to adjust my armor values and it was something like 5-6 matches before I figured it out. I was like, "Wow this mech is fragile" wondering why I kept getting cored out only to finally realize I had about 26 armor allocated to my back torso.

Also, I do remember once where I was a little shall we say inebriated while playing and accidentally misallocated all my front armor to the rear.

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:56 PM

I'm going with Grus - Someone's been bad touched by Piranhas one too many times.

#8 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

View PostGrus, on 18 January 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

Potatoes gonna potate

good one ;-)
I guess that means
Taters gonna Tate

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 18 January 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

I remember on one of my mechs I totally forgot to adjust my armor values and it was something like 5-6 matches before I figured it out. I was like, "Wow this mech is fragile" wondering why I kept getting cored out only to finally realize I had about 26 armor allocated to my back torso.

Also, I do remember once where I was a little shall we say inebriated while playing and accidentally misallocated all my front armor to the rear.

Now that you mention it...the OP did say it was a Jagger. That was one of the mechs a few months back where PGI did a reallocation of armor between the arms and the torsos, and everyone’s values ended up getting messed up over and above the intended changes (screwed up Jenners and a few others too). So maybe that is what happened here?

Edit: was back in May https://mwomercs.com...th-patch-notes.

Edited by Bud Crue, 18 January 2019 - 01:03 PM.

#10 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:03 PM

2019 meta: maximum LRM, maximum back armour: balance achieved

#11 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:10 PM

View PostGrus, on 18 January 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

I mean.. ok... I guess that pilot has been touched by a PIR/COM one to many times.

Any wonder why... LRMs on a Jager and orobt 500m from the team.

#12 The Caterpillar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

I came across the same problem many times before but not just against LRM builds. I built a mech specifically for sneaky rear armor alpha strikes:
HBR-VI
UAC/20 - 40dmg
SRM 6 x 4 - 48dmg
HML x 4 - 40dmg
=128 alpha strike
In testing grounds it could one shot an atlas. Once in a match though, even when the damage is 100% into the rear torso, they would just turn around and look at me like "what do you think you're doing?" Could there be a cap on alpha strike damage?

Edited by The Caterpillar, 18 January 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#13 illudium Q 36

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:13 PM

Back in the "Olden Days", one could be called a Noob for running back armor at more than handful of points. Some bragged of no back armor at all since they were expert enough to ALWAYS have their "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY".

I tend to go with heavy armor on the skill tree. I also use 90 to 100 percent points that I'm allowed. I'll put 25 points rear CT on a slow Assault with 18 points Right and Left Rear Torso as well.

With the current speed of lights .... and stealth armor ..... the days of boosting that another mech will never get behind you are gone.

Cover yer butt ............

#14 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

there is a warped sense of logic there. if the guy is relying entirely on IDF and his teammates spotting for him then why does he need front armor? the only things that will attack him are either lights that try to sneak up from behind or mechs that have broken through his team's front line, in which case he wouldve lost regardless of whether his armor was front or back. the guy fully committed to a bad plan then tried to think of ways to make it less bad.

Edited by Khobai, 18 January 2019 - 01:33 PM.

#15 Funk1777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

I kind of want to build my piranha this way now to help against team damage.

#16 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

Not to discount that Jager’s have some magical rear armor but paper arms

#17 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

I've watched streamers like baradul who make builds with 4-5 back armor with rarely double digit armor in the 10-12 range even on their assassult mechs. Most people do front load their armor with the 50-70 alphas flying around. The legs and arms are where most people strip their builds. I usually sweep the legs first.

#18 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

I typically run 4-5 rear armor on most mechs. Up to 6 if I've got gauss rifles, 7 if I'm really really slow. Lights go down to 2-3 at most.

I used to run 1 or 0 back in the day, but I found that a single arty or air strike could really hurt me bad, so I upped it a bit.

The double digit back armor seems nuts to me. If you're dying that often to backshots it's not your armor allocation that needs fixing.

#19 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 January 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

Any wonder why... LRMs on a Jager and orobt 500m from the team.

Well I have been running my TDK a lot lately ;)

#20 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

Event has caused quite a surge in lights so its not surprising that heavier mechs would shift some armor to the rear to counter the hungry little scrubs as they try to get that solo kill credit. (I got mine with a narc, still not sure what happened there.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users