Can I Haz My Stone Rhino Now?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

IS just got their Mad2.. it is now time for this beautiful beast to walk freely on the fields of battle.
https://www.sarna.ne...Rhino_(Behemoth)

Now I'm gonna make a suggestion... the prime, and maybe the 2 should have heavy str/armor quirks.. AND FOR ODIN'S SAKE PGI DONT MESS WITH THE HARDPOINTS!. That way yes, the first 2 variations will have low firepower but make up for that in durability. Now as you go down the varaint list those quirks can be less and less. But this will be due to the increased firepower options available.

Now... something else I'd like PGI to do, and it would be a first... if you preorder the mech.. put it on a PTR. That way we can hash out any kinks and or balance issues BEFORE they become issues.

Edited by Grus, 18 January 2019 - 04:52 PM.

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

I am sure we will get it sooner or later but I will tell you now, it probably won't be a very good mech. First, just look at the art and then try to visualize the hit boxes. Then try to visualize how low mounted most of the weapons will be.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

Only when we can fire 3 gauss at a time.

#4 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

Game breaking Bane over Stone Rhino first.

Stone Rhino - Super low slung arms oversized Marauder. we have enough marauders in game.
I admit it is neat, but it is really just basically a Clan Marauder II.

Also, your link doesn't work.
https://www.sarna.ne...hino_(Behemoth)

(for everyone's consideration, link the https link not the http, as well use the word editor's link button to post sarna links for them to work)

Edited by Jackal Noble, 18 January 2019 - 04:36 PM.

#5 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 18 January 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

I am sure we will get it sooner or later but I will tell you now, it probably won't be a very good mech. First, just look at the art and then try to visualize the hit boxes. Then try to visualize how low mounted most of the weapons will be.

I disagree, with proper testing, hence the PTR request, I believe it will be a quality contribution to the clan lineup.

3erll 2gauss. (Armor str quirk) make it meaty)) 2 less quirk, 3 a little less. So on and so on. From sarna it has the 6 more tonnes of armor than an ANH does.. FOR CLAN! So keeping the firepaower available low on the first two vairients would be a balance.

Edited by Grus, 18 January 2019 - 04:32 PM.

#6 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 18 January 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Stone Rhino - Super low slung arms oversized Marauder. we have enough marauders in game.
I admit it is neat, but it is really just basically a Clan Marauder II.

Also, your link doesn't work.
https://www.sarna.ne...hino_(Behemoth)

Straight copy and paste... dont know why it's not working.

#7 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostGrus, on 18 January 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

Now I'm gonna make a suggestion... the prime, and maybe the 2 should have heavy str/armor quirks.. AND FOR ODIN'S SAKE PGI DONT MESS WITH THE HARDPOINTS!. That way yes, the first 2 variations will have low firepower but make up for that in durability. Now as you go down the varaint list those quirks can be less and less. But this will be due to the increased firepower options available.

This is a bad idea. You'd have to megaquirk the -1 to make its paltry 5 hardpoints worth taking, especially when the -6 (best variant for laservomit) or the -4 (best variant for everything else) exist. Hell, the -2 has as many hardpoints or more than the -3 and -5 even before you convert the A-Pods to something usable.

View PostJackal Noble, on 18 January 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

UAC2 spam is hardly gamebreaking and thanks to clustered hardpoints you can't even spam LB2Xs more than 9 (or 10 if you hate yourself and run a standard engine). About the only really nasty builds that might break the game are 6 LB10Xs (and where is all your tonnage) and 3 LB20Xs (and the Stone Rhino-4 can run 4 of those, theoretically). I don't see the Bane having any better luck with geometry, either, with the way its bits stick out.

Oh, and that missile variant, which you'd need a replacement for the one-shot Streak to be valid, and the Marauder II 4HP kind of beat it to the punch.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostGrus, on 18 January 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

Straight copy and paste... dont know why it's not working.

I added more to how to get it to work for ya, future reference. it's the link button next to the numbered/list bottom center. but ya, change it to https, more secure.

#9 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 18 January 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I added more to how to get it to work for ya, future reference. it's the link button next to the numbered/list bottom center. but ya, change it to https, more secure.

Add to this I'm on a cellphone so dont know if that helps...

#10 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

View PostGrus, on 18 January 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Add to this I'm on a cellphone so dont know if that helps...

haha yep that would cause some issue, without having the full editor I suppose.

#11 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

I suppose we do not already have enough 100 ton mechs?

I'd still buy a Stone Rhino...

@Grus For whatever reason your link appears not to register the close parenthesis ')' at the end of the link. When I manually added it in, the link worked fine...

#12 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostIdToaster, on 18 January 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

This is a bad idea. You'd have to megaquirk the -1 to make its paltry 5 hardpoints worth taking, especially when the -6 (best variant for laservomit) or the -4 (best variant for everything else) exist. Hell, the -2 has as many hardpoints or more than the -3 and -5 even before you convert the A-Pods to something usable.

Megaquirks.. you mean like most IS mechs? Hmm...
Seriously though, you wouldn't need to touch the weapon quirks just the durability. Doing 60 alpha at 1k and it can just take a beating (like a IS mech) then it will be fine. Low alpha, high durability. Complete opposite from the PIR ;) lol

View PostIdToaster, on 18 January 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

UAC2 spam is hardly gamebreaking and thanks to clustered hardpoints you can't even spam LB2Xs more than 9 (or 10 if you hate yourself and run a standard engine). About the only really nasty builds that might break the game are 6 LB10Xs (and where is all your tonnage) and 3 LB20Xs (and the Stone Rhino-4 can run 4 of those, theoretically). I don't see the Bane having any better luck with geometry, either, with the way its bits stick out.

Oh, and that missile variant, which you'd need a replacement for the one-shot Streak to be valid, and the Marauder II 4HP kind of beat it to the punch.

The bain has even a worse profile than the Stone... yeah no. Much dakka yes.. but less maneuverable.

As for the Stone's geo, I think it will be fine. The ANH with it's long neck isnt a instant core cut when you hit it. Just do the same for the center mount gun on top and boom, no issues.

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

Posted Image
vs
Posted Image

I fail to see how this is not infinitely better profile than that of the SR. Further, they share the same base engine a STD 300. The SR has jjs (on a 100 ton assault, which means squat) while the Bane has extended torso twist, which is awesome for an assault - See Kodiak Torso twist syndrome.

But ok I digress. I'll stop ******** all over your Stone Rhino pweez thread.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 18 January 2019 - 05:03 PM.

#14 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

No, you can't have your {Godwin's Law}/Maus mech.

#15 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

I'm waiting for PGI to chill on the Assault mechs because we're already getting 5 in a row.

#16 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

Ive been wanting the Stone Rhino for a while. Clan needs more 100 ton assualts, and at least one tip-of-the-spear capable mech

#17 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

The visual design is going to gut the Behemoth even harder than the Night Star. The thing is dead on arrival.

The Bane on the other hand... THAT, would be a sight to see.

#18 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

Clan 'Mech releases are lucky in that they don't have to pull double-duty as MW5 content, so we can get neat Clan 'Mechs like Bane or Stone Rhino.

IS are stuck with 'Mech releases that are gimpy because, according to Russ, they are trying to maximize resources and use them in both games. Hence no IS Omnis or other 3067+ 'Mechs for the foreseeable future.

Stone Rhino would be an in-game Clan-equivalent Annihilator and that could be pretty awesome. But then the DWF has another sad.

#19 mabo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:58 PM

View PostGrus, on 18 January 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

IS just got their Mad2.. it is now time for this beautiful beast to walk freely on the fields of battle.
https://www.sarna.ne...Rhino_(Behemoth)

Now... something else I'd like PGI to do, and it would be a first... if you preorder the mech.. put it on a PTR. That way we can hash out any kinks and or balance issues BEFORE they become issues.

I'll see your Stone Rhino and raise you an Omega: https://www.sarna.ne...ega_(BattleMech)

#20 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:01 AM

Annihilator was going to bad: now the Stone Rhino is going to be bad.

It's a 100 ton clan battlemech. The last time we had one of those it broke the game. Only thing making it bad is is PGI holding its agility leash tighter than IS 100 tonners like the King Crab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users