Cxl / Lfe Side Torso Heat Issue

5 replies to this topic

#1 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

The biggest problem with the LFE/cXL engine and the new side torso heatsink destruction robbing heat capacity and cooling is that on mechs where its a 250 or higher rated engine, and only the ten base heat sinks on the mech... players are penalized as if there actually were heat sinks contained in those side torso as part of the engine. No where in the battletech rules did side torso loss result in heat sink destruction. Instead you got constant heat being applied for engine critical hits, and 2 engine crits, which is all that result in a side torso loss with a cXL or IS LFE engine...that was 10 heat every 10 seconds.

So why if you can code stealth armor to be a constant 1.5 heat per second while active now, can you not code a side torso loss for those engine types to be a constant 1 heat per second also ? Would this not be a simpler and fairer solution than destroying a third of the heat sinks supposedly in the engine and stealing a large chunk of heat capacity away ?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:31 AM

Try posting it on Russ/Chris' Twitter. Might have better luck.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:32 AM

The same reason they have decided to not have actual engine crits, instead the usage of flag and what happens when a ST is destroyed. The way it worked before, from what was posted when it went live is that it was removed from the bottom of the heat bar instead of off the top.

Destroyed Heat Sinks and Clan XL / IS Light Engine side torso destruction penalties now removes total heat threshold from the top of the available heat pool rather then from the bottom.

I do believe that isXL should survive the loss of 1st ST while adjusting the heat dissipation penalties across the board, example below.
  • LFE 15% movement penalty - 15% - 20% engine heat dissipation penalty (20% - 2 out of 10 engine slots but denser -lesser weight savings)
  • cXL 20% movement penalty - 25-30% engine heat dissipation penalty (20% - 2 out of 10 engine slots - base line)
  • isXL 30% movement penalty - 40% - 45% engine heat dissipation penalty (25% - 3 out of 12 engine slots)
But something to consider on HOW many heatsinks are affected... from Russ's example when cXL heat dissipation penalty went live, it affected all heatsinks EQUIPPED in the engine, both actual eHS and the equipped HS in the engine slots. Remember, omni were not and are not able to add/remove HS in the slots.

With this in mind, we have decided to implement a rule that the destruction of a side torso in a Clan 'Mech will result in a loss of 20% of the engines internal heat sink capacity. By way of example, a Timber Wolf with 15 internal engine heat sinks will lose the cooling equivalent of 3 of those heat sinks.

https://mwomercs.com...39-07-oct-2014/

When PGI added heat penalties when a 'Mech (only Clan Omnis at the time) was equipped with a Clan XL engine and loses its 1st side torso.

• The 'Mech will lose 20% of the heat sinks in the engine.
  • This percentage is calculated as the total of the heat sinks integral to the engine as well as any equipped in its heat sink slots.
  • The lost heat sinks are removed from those integral to the engine
I noted that in a one of my posts from Dec of last year.

https://mwomercs.com..._p__6198128

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 January 2019 - 06:36 AM.

#4 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

Every wanna-be anti-clan change ends up hurting IS more. Any mech that LFE breathed new life into was smashed by this dumb change. IS mechs have less heat sinks than clan mechs, so losing head management affects them more than clammers who can pack their mechs with more heat sinks than you can shake a stick at. Net result, advantage clan. Only builds forced into standard engine ever bother with standard engine, and XL builds are still worse than LFE even getting only one more shot off after ST loss is better than no shots.

#5 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

Dumb change indeed. I pretty much dont use LFE now except on some specific build (where you need the torso slots which XL uses, and you cant afford to fit a STD). XL on builds that can twist and have hitbox to spread damage, STD on those that cant, or have needs on torso slots. Being shutdown by blow away a ST in a fight is not fun, which usually implies death, if i die anyway, why dont i just use a XL instead? At least i can bring more guns to kick some a*s.

#6 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

I just know that if you're running hot, and you lose an ST, there's now way in frozen hell that you will cool down...

And it sucks.

Edited by Vellron2005, 22 January 2019 - 12:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users