My Yearly Dose Of Mwo

23 replies to this topic

#1 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

There's been some cool stuff. And I've only played a few hours so I'm sure I've only seen half of it.
+ Ramps on River City!!! Still not perfect, but soooo much better.
+ Fixed the domination circle on that big circle grey moon map, can't remember the name.
+ Micro lasers in their own group is fun.
+ Heat feels a lot better. My laser vomits from nally don't feel like the be all end all.
+ Laser AMS is usable, no longer cooks you.
+ It seems like they players who are still here pretty mugch know what they're doing. The potato lottery isn't so bad anymore.
+ The event that was going on gave out decent cbills and MC. Pretty cool.
+ Brawling is relevant again!

- NASCAR is still a constant thing. Shame on you MWO community.
- Lights are a mess. We finally have a good selection that play like lights, but they had to be added to the game. Other lights are only viable because of hit point quirks, and they handle like crap.
- Engine decouple still sucks.
- though there's great weapon diversity in the field, boring boating is still meta.
- 10:12 players have their mics off. There's zero sense of teamwork or community. Matches start and then Nascar. Very stale.

Nothing spectacular, but a noticeably better game than a year ago.

#2 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,068 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

How are lights a mess? Only a few are ever top tier for long before pgi nerfs it to sell the next one or many people complain about the mech. Very few lights ever see use. I don't remember the last time I saw any IS jenner that wasn't oxide since they got hit with the 14 armor on the F. Spider 5V remains the worst light in the game.

#3 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 19 January 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

How are lights a mess?
A mess as in they ruined the class with the size/mobility nerf. In my eyes, the locust was the only real light remaining. Thankfully we now have the piranha and flea, but other lights are only viable because of insane armor/structure quirks. They're not true lights. That style of play was stolen from us. As a dedicated light pilot from the beginning, that nerf was the final straw that made me leave the game.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

Bruh, the Jenner handles really well. It has omega-squishy arms that PGI needs to fix ASAP, but it's not awful.

#5 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,068 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:10 PM

View Postadamts01, on 19 January 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

A mess as in they ruined the class with the size/mobility nerf. In my eyes, the locust was the only real light remaining. Thankfully we now have the piranha and flea, but other lights are only viable because of insane armor/structure quirks. They're not true lights. That style of play was stolen from us. As a dedicated light pilot from the beginning, that nerf was the final straw that made me leave the game.

Yeah pgi really ****** over light pilots with the dam rescale. I didn't quit because of it;I just got better. The rescale made a lot of lights unplayable or noncompetitive. I can do better with the 20 ton ones more than the 35 ton ones simply because of the size difference.

You can still make the 35ts work just that getting that 300-600 damage is a lot harder. The only thing that makes the 35ts worth taking any more is the shock value of using one. Out of about 40 lights I run about seven regularly while the rest are fully skilled striped of everything but armor waiting for when I decide to re-arm one and field it.

#6 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

View Postadamts01, on 19 January 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

- NASCAR is still a constant thing. Shame on you MWO community.

Honestly it isn't only the communities fault, a large part of it is PGI's map design. For some reason PGI thinks there has to be channels and bottlenecks funneling everyone into a central point usually dominate by some terrain feature or another that only allows for circular movement.

If we had maps that didn't have these funnels and dominating terrain features, I have no doubt the battles would be much more free form and alot less NASCAR. For example I would kill for a city map that was just a straight up grid pattern of building with cross sections at each and every intersection. It would be like a maze where the enemy could come at you from any angle at any time and while I am sure there would be some rotational movement once the blobs final came together, it wouldn't be near as pronounced as something like the Citadel or the Top of the HPG tower because there would be multiple, optional paths you could take.

#7 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:32 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 19 January 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

Honestly it isn't only the communities fault, a large part of it is PGI's map design....
If we had maps that didn't have these funnels and dominating terrain features, I have no doubt the battles would be much more free form and alot less NASCAR.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any NASCAR during the early days. Maybe it's because we still had group options back then?... Anyway, these map designs possibly could have started it, but look at Polar, Frozen, Tourmaline, River City, Degoba.... Players just like to rotate counterclockwise, even on every map.

If we're going to blame anything, I say the death of CW and Group Que. With no communication or teamwork, players have gotten in to a rut and are stuck in it. NASCAR really did make a joke of this game.

#8 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 19 January 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

I didn't quit because of it;I just got better.
I don't say that as an excuse for doing poorly. The game just lost its soul after that patch. I adapted well enough, but the pleasure of fighting in lights was gone.

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

I dunno. Playing the big Lights became a chore, but the smaller ones became much better.

#10 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

The only way boating stops being meta. Is if you build game mechanics in that inherently benefit bringing a variety of weapons or directly penalize boating.

Honestly having played War Thunder and World of Tanks the last few months. I see a lot of the same problems. A lack of teamwork. Sometimes the matchmaker is poor and you end up with a complete one sided massacre.

#11 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 19 January 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

The only way boating stops being meta. Is if you build game mechanics in that inherently benefit bringing a variety of weapons or directly penalize boating.

Honestly having played War Thunder and World of Tanks the last few months. I see a lot of the same problems. A lack of teamwork. Sometimes the matchmaker is poor and you end up with a complete one sided massacre.
I always thought the solution should be a much lower heat cap and much faster cooling. They've inched that direction and things are better.

As for teamwork, it's all about letting players make a team and stick with it.
The closest MWO got to that was Group Que. Another approach is having lobby matches in Quick Play, where you can choose whether or not to stay with your team. Dropping with random every time is a recipe for frustration.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 19 January 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Bruh, the Jenner handles really well. It has omega-squishy arms that PGI needs to fix ASAP, but it's not awful.

Isn't this because like the Jagermech, PGI funnelled the hitpoints to the side torsos? (And seemingly center torso as of playing my Jenner last, so damn many hitpoints without any skill tree or apparent quirks giving the blue bonus points...)

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

For the class, it has a lot more torso points than it should and not nearly enough arm points. I believe this was done in regard to that 'funneling' patch. Which I admit, the thing tanks really well and I rarely got damage to the arms. Though I could understand if someone tried to neuter it...

....Come to think about it, I ended up neutering the last arm off a Jenner to quickly stop it from being able to shoot me in this critical situation. (Final opponents were a Panther and a Jenner when it came down to 2 versus 1, with an additional Wolfhound that fell quickly after my last teammate died. By this point I had lost one arm, became cherry red on one ST and lost 2 of 3 ML, on the other side I was orange as the situation began and lost the other arm during the fighting. XL engine. Once I neutered the Jenner the Panther became a timing game, twist to block to try and get the shots in the back, and then shoot in between shots his shots.)

Edited by Koniving, 19 January 2019 - 08:49 PM.

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:06 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 January 2019 - 08:40 PM, said:

Isn't this because like the Jagermech, PGI funnelled the hitpoints to the side torsos? (And seemingly center torso as of playing my Jenner last, so damn many hitpoints without any skill tree or apparent quirks giving the blue bonus points...)

Yes it is. It needs to have hitpoints added back onto the arms without taking away from the torso, though. Torso is fine, now, arms are way too delicate. Ditto Jagermech.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

Meh, that's sorta cheating though, like having your cake and eating it too.

I'm fine with the arms being the way they are. Actually enjoyed not being a running CT for once. Will be using them a bit more often, especially given my recent hero collection expansion.

Btw...
When you really think about that phrase, there's something really wrong with it. Must be an issue with the times it came from.

#16 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 January 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

Meh, that's sorta cheating though, like having your cake and eating it too.

Not really, because the BT hitpoint system doesn't work when the geometry of 'Mechs comes into play.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 19 January 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

Not really, because the BT hitpoint system doesn't work when the geometry of 'Mechs comes into play.

I meant in terms of having a lot more health than other 35 ton mechs, without even digging yet into quirks.

#18 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 January 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

I meant in terms of having a lot more health than other 35 ton mechs, without even digging yet into quirks.

But that's why other 'Mechs have quirks.

I don't much care if they increase base hitpoints or add quirks, the end result is the same. The reason either method exists is because the standard amount of hitpoints for the weight is inadequate to protect the 'Mech for its shape and size. The same is currently true for the Jenner and Jagermech. I'm not asking them to armor the arms up to 30 points on the Jenner, but 14 base is not enough considering where they are and how easy they are to hit. Same deal with 32 points on the Jagermech, trivially easy to literally disarm. The torsos on either are exactly where they need to be right now, in my experience.

Edited by Y E O N N E, 20 January 2019 - 01:55 PM.

#19 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 January 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

Quirks/no-quirks, base stats/pod-bonuses, durability/geometry. It doesn't matter.

If the mech is underperforming, I don't care which aspect of it is buffed to make it better.

As for ST-Arm hp rebalance: PGI basically introduced a new set of quirks for those mechs, but these quirks are are absent in a quirk list as PGI is now afraid of giving mechs negative quirks. In reality the rebalance was just that: they added positive quirks for STs and negative quirks for arms.

#20 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

View Postadamts01, on 19 January 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any NASCAR during the early days. Maybe it's because we still had group options back then?... Anyway, these map designs possibly could have started it, but look at Polar, Frozen, Tourmaline, River City, Degoba.... Players just like to rotate counterclockwise, even on every map.

If we're going to blame anything, I say the death of CW and Group Que. With no communication or teamwork, players have gotten in to a rut and are stuck in it. NASCAR really did make a joke of this game.

I've wondered why it's counter clockwise and if it's to do with the majority of people being right handed.
Some maps do have that central location which allows for the Nascar. Caustic Valley is a good example.
Other maps you don't see it and it's more of a clash in the center. Forest Colony is a good example.
The other side of the nascar argument is that on some maps the fight always happens at the same location..... Forest Colony is a good example of that.

I think you're right though, without the communication or a group that can organize something, it becomes a case of follow the herd or get left behind and if you can't nascar hard enough that's what happens.
I've seen some vicious nascar on Canyon network where the teams have done laps around that central Theta point and you really have to keep up or get wrecked...... sometimes you just have to go out in a blaze of glory trying to hold the rear guard.

By the way, have you heard that a few of the old original maps are coming back in March?
Forest Colony and the snow version plus Frozen City.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users