Please Promote More Team Play

8 replies to this topic

#1 Raythe 71

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

Can we just stop giving rewards for 400+ match scores as reward requirements? Just stop this. During several events with rewards locked behind 500 match scores, players get really timid, camp in the back, and the heavy LRMs come out. All team play goes out the window as solo queue players will do anything to avoid a mech death as it utterly destroys your match scores, victory or defeat.

Please stop setting players up to toss their teams to the wind. It floods the salt, ruins the play, discourages group play, and makes the event grind extremely unpleasant.

I know this thread with catch flak hard for this. I'm sure I'll get a lot of troll replies. I don't care. I am considering quitting MWO for a couple months, because this kind of play ends up lingering and ruining solo queue play. See you when the Corsair releases, but even then probably only for a couple weeks, as the selfish play in a team game just ruins the whole experience.

Edited by 13loodwraith, 20 January 2019 - 10:45 AM.

#2 treggon

Rookie

• The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

The irony is that I get an easier 500 match score during team based play when you can stack all those protected light/medium... etc, as well as all the extra little things you get when targeting, scouting, putting up UAV's... all the little stuff.

The compound interest you get when your team is benefiting from your actions generally are quicker and more reliable sources of high match scores. Damage and kills only seem to get you so far, then the teamwork aspects of the game get you the rest of the way across the finish line.

I think it is compounded with the SOLO kill x3 requirements for each weight class. The 500 match score added to this at the same time, during the same event, makes it psychologically almost driven to play like a death match.

I actually like the focus on higher match score, but I think people are going about it wrong, as they don't understand the math behind the match score, IMO.

#3 Jibfu

Rookie

• CS 2020 Participant
  • CS 2020 Participant
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

I'd love to see score increases for teamwork-based "lance in formation" "savior kill" type stuff and WAY deprecated killing blow as a score creator. Reward lance and team commanders who issue goals that are met as a team (not just waypoints, but "kill this target"). MWO turning into a single-player game that happens to have other humans playing kills the game. What makes it fun is making it all about the actual team play. This will also help differentiate market segments for MWO vs MW5.

#4 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

I agree with this general sentiment wholeheartedly. The average player mentality in all game modes and especially FP seem to be entirely focused on personal damage, not how you work with your team.

What irks me about the focus only on damage dealt is that it has lead to a lot of players taking inefficient mechs that smear damage across all of their targets, creating a much higher score but actually achieving quite little in terms of actually helping the team. After all, a fresh Atlas can be killed with only about 200 points of aimed damage, where as even a medium can tank up to 450 or so before going down if non-critical components are hit first.

A greater focus on actual team coordination would be a great boon to the game.

I have quit MWO for extended periods of time due to this exhausting phenomenon and general user toxicity so something to help would really be appreciated.

Edited by Kilroy, 20 January 2019 - 02:03 PM.

#5 Raythe 71

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

I just went and commented on several other posts in the event suggestion forum that outline similar or same complaints. there are 6 threads about this now. I hope seeing them all at the top will prompt some motivation from PGI to take a really good look at this. maybe brainstorm with some team managers about what promotes team cohesion and what players are receptive to for some new stats at the end of the match that highlight players who work well as a group better.

#6 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

agreed. more requirements such as killing mechs spotted or targetted by friendlies, staying together, and other team related actions.

something like "while in Light/Medium mech, attack a Light that is attacking friendly assault/heavy mechs" would be nice

#7 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:32 AM

This is some thing I wrote in another post that I think is relavent

Multiple earning by team mates left alive may encourage more team work

2 Team mates live = Earnings x 2
11 Team mates live= Earnings x 11

So if your push was a good idea and your team wins 12-1 then you get a big payout

If not maybe push idea wasn't so great

#8 The Whisper

• PipPip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 27 posts
  • LocationThe end of the world...

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

Saying this again (and I'll carry on banging this drum) - perhaps if the event had a condition that your event score only counts if your team wins would promote more team play..

#9 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

Maybe reduce the condition numbers of every event, but add "on a win" to all of them.

Meaning you only progress through the event, on wins.

I like the idea that this kind of event could temporarily boost team cooperation, instead of hindering it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users