Mw5. Some Concerns Warrent Discussion.

7 replies to this topic

#1 D3US 3X MACH1NA

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:18 AM

I've watched all the videos, read all the reviews, and I am a little concerned about overhype and the depth of play within this future release. I sadly didnt make it to mechcon this past year. Some elaboration would be truly outstanding within the community on personal perspective I've heard. Some concerns are as follows;

1. Adherence to battletech canon and narrative within design.

Given that this is a single player/coop experience I would hope that a story will play out within the battletech universe. Part of the allure of previous titles was a sense of depth and consequence to decisions. I've heard some make the claim that it will be strictly arcade like with very little depth. I hope this isnt the case.

2. Difficulty of AI.

Let's face it, being a mechwarrior isnt easy. AI players made the cut and they should be respectable pilots at least. Tonnage is hugely important. It would be very disappointing to face down 4 Atlas's in a Locust with no reprocution. I dont want mech sim level difficulty, but mindless mob slaughtering should be left to call of duty. I've heard this is a shoot-fest void of real challenges and disciplined manuevering. I hope this isnt the case.

3. Importance of lance tactics and efficient use of drop tonnage.

Four light mechs can be devastating to a lone enemy caught in an ambush. Assaulting a 90 tonner with locusts in the open is suicide. I hope lance tactics will be important in this release as it is probably the most important aspect of Mechwarrior imo. I've heard it is just a point and shoot, and frankly dont believe it.

4. VR stable.

The technological level of VR is in its infancy, however with the immergence of new designs this is the perfect title for a VR experiance. Having vr support for a AAA game with a static pilot would be an immense step in the right direction for this company and i truly hope the rumors are true.

5. Consequence and risk

It has been surmised, that a possible lack of consequence will exist within the game. I truly hope stupidity will be costly and risk should be taken only at great cost benefit consideration. A choice to drop in on a planet and massacre its inhabitants and infrastructure rarely goes unchallenged. If one was to drop on a heavenly fortified DC compound, I'd imagine they wouldn't make it out in one piece.

6. State of MWO post release.

Are they planning on overhauling the current platform or leaving it "as is". I would imagine this is a time they could take advantage of sale hype to restore player base to the online community. I understand overhauling MWO may be costly, but may be an excellent idea to consider as the game still has enormous potential and could take off like a rocket if it is at least comparable visually to their new release. As I understand it, MW5 will not have multiplayer functionality beyond coop.

So any introspection would be appreciated as this is a game I've been waiting decades to play. (It feels like 100 years). I have already preordered as i am dead set to play it no matter what. Books, mwo, and tabletop dont scratch the itch quite like the old games. As of now I remain cautious, but hopeful. Thank you all for being the best community overall of any gaming experiance I have ever had. You guys rock.

Edited by D3US 3X MACH1NA, 21 January 2019 - 05:21 AM.

#2 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:08 AM

Yea agree with you, especially i am here since cb and know wat happened here over the yeras and their dealings with the founders. After questions to Rb like for crouching and rB´s answer to that makes me not feel better. I ordered the std. pack becuase i am not willing to givr them more monex after their actions here in the years and till i dont have more info on the game. Maybe i will update my preorder later if poddible when i see more and during beta. will see

maybe Here you find some answers for the start :. https://mwomercs.com...s-ama-part-1-2/
and on reddit https://www.reddit.c...5_ama_1st_hour/

https://www.reddit.c...w5_6pm_pst_ama/

Edited by Mighty Spike, 21 January 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Didn't see any melee attacks in the trailers... so i didn't preorder.

#4 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

one thing I did hear, I think I heard it right

was info about the co-op
it takes to forms
1) set up a quick drop mission as a co-op
2) friends can join (drop in) while you play your campaign

on number 2 they can drop in at any time (I think)
the reason this is good is because you don't have to set up an appointment to play with friends
they could just show up and start playing

these are cool great features

Edited by Davegt27, 23 January 2019 - 11:16 AM.

#5 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 21 January 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

Didn't see any melee attacks in the trailers... so i didn't preorder.

with what you will control the Melee attacks (4 Buttons for push with L/R arms and Legs)and AI and use real time Melee Attacks its very difficult for a Dev thats have nothing experience with AI? good looking Melee Attacks without glichtching Mechparts its more for a Stretegical Game like HBS -BT

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 23 January 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 23 January 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

with what you will control the Melee attacks (4 Buttons for push with L/R arms and Legs)and AI and use real time Melee Attacks its very difficult for a Dev thats have nothing experience with AI? good looking Melee Attacks without glichtching Mechparts its more for a Stretegical Game like HBS -BT

Heavy gear 2 give possibility to have fun mecha melee combat, always liked to put an axe on a weaponless build to cut my friends gears in two and steal their handgun to obliterate their teams with their own bullets. For number of command input... in HG2, some mission was In space and we had like 8 trusters to position our mech in a gravity less environment + 6 key for basic movement while using magnetic clamp. Don't know why we cannot have melee in MW5.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 30 January 2019 - 06:44 AM.

#7 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:05 AM

Been bankrolling MWO enough, but no pre-order for MW5. Paper money for MWO are not good enough reason, don't even need c-bills - just nothing in game to spend them on at this point!

Game looks very basic and feel wonky, at least from the videos shown this far. Personally I hope it will support DX12 or Vulkan and decent optimization.

I also hope they hired at least one writer for plot. I can forgive all of the above if story is decent.
P.S. If it's gonna be "Yur murc and fight for c-bills, go destroy 10 generators" I gonna be very disappointed...

#8 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 22 January 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

on number 2 they can drop in at any time (I think)
the reason this is good is because you don't have to set up an appointment to play with friends
they could just show up and start playing

these are cool great features

Secret of Mana on the SNES over 25 years ago, anyone ?
In my book this feature is a basic necessity for singleplayer/co-op games, so no need to shovel more coal for the hypetrain, eh ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users