A Dragon's Rage - Dragon Fire Support Thread (Even More New Art!)

BattleMechs

163 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:24 AM

Protect your treasure with the 75 ton Dragon Fire! This powerhouse features excellent hard points, high mounts, ECM, good speed and geometry. You know a mech is good when it's often the villain's mech of choice.

An interesting thing to note is the Dragon Fire is actually part of the Marauder family of mechs but it is quite different of course.

What separates it from other 75 tonners are it's cockpit height arm mounted ballistics combined with torso lasers as well as a potentially excellent profile from all angles. The only thing it really lacks is serious variant variety but with clever HP inflation I think it'd be easy to separate the variants from each other more than quirks can.

Sarna page: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Dragon_Fire

This mech was quite a challenge so I'd like to give an extra big shout out to the artists that have salvaged this mech from it's Tro art. (The angle just doesn't show off the mech)

By jjm1 or user000000000001
https://www.devianta...ser000000000001
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
By GiorgioEspinos
https://www.devianta.../giorgioespinos
Posted Image
Posted Image

By Shinypants/Alan Blackwell
https://www.deviantart.com/shinypants
Posted Image
By Bishop Steiner
https://www.devianta...m/bishopsteiner
Posted Image

By Fed0t
https://www.deviantart.com/fed0t
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dragon Fire mini (Yeah it's ugly, I prefer the art that's been done on it. It's not exactly PG haha)
Posted Image
Posted Image
(So lewd)

A big thank you to these guys for their amazing work making this ugly duckling into a swan and what's even better is there is even more amazing artwork in the works so be sure to check back for them.

What do you guys think would be a good hero for it? There are two lore hero variants to draw inspiration from but of course maybe something more interesting could be done.

The first is the 7FC Gregory. This belongs to Precentor Gregory Kishimoto, commander of the 37th Division
http://www.sarna.net..._(Word_of_Blake)

It's equipped with several pieces of equipment that aren't in game like a small cockpit but it would be a great basis for a sort of "reversed" variant with ballistic torsos and energy arms.

The second lore hero is the Searcy, a Solaris gladiator's mech. http://www.sarna.net.../Michael_Searcy

This one was based on the base variant, the 3FC, but removes the ECM, swaps the gauss rifle for a light gauss, changes the lbx10 to an lbx20 and got an LPL in there as well. I don't think it offers any specific changes but of course it can just be the theme for the hero variant.

For MW5 this mech could be part of a response to the Clan invasion DLC as it comes out just in time for operation Bulldog.

There are only 4 non-hero variants so what kind of variant do you think would fit the Dragon Fire? My thanks go to FupDup for the breakdown of the variants.
Posted Image

If you like this mech be sure to support it here on the forums, on Reddit or by tweeting Russ. You can vote for it in polls, "like" the OP and post your support on this and other relevant threads.

Vote here: https://mwomercs.com...mech-pack-poll/

Reddit pages:
- https://www.reddit.c...n_fire_support/

NGNG thread:
http://www.nogutsnog...hp?topic=4745.0

Edited by TheArisen, 08 July 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#2 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:55 AM

Cool artwork at the beginning ... almost thought it was PGI original

OMG those shield arms. I wanna have dissss!
Posted Image

Edited by Antares102, 21 January 2019 - 06:10 AM.

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:07 AM

View PostAntares102, on 21 January 2019 - 05:55 AM, said:

Cool artwork at the beginning ... almost thought it was PGI original

Yeah jjm1 really knocked it out of the park.

#4 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:13 AM

IS-mech with high mounts and ecm…? Yes please!! Posted Image

Edited by Snowhawk, 21 January 2019 - 06:16 AM.

#5 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:16 AM

Looks interesting

#6 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

jjm1's version looks kind of like a Huntsman. Or is that just me?

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, this is a sweet mech, jims Mech is top notch, of course with one of the finest camos.... a perfect mech to kill falcons.

#8 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

View PostBombast, on 21 January 2019 - 06:42 AM, said:

jjm1's version looks kind of like a Huntsman. Or is that just me?

More like the love child of a Sagittaire and a Crab with some Black Lanner stylings on the arms. It's definitely a looker of a mech, but seems like it might have Champion type problems with convergence. Doesn't necessarily bring a whole lot that's new to the IS mech stable, either. Yeah, it's high mounts with ECM, but you get something similar out of the Thanatos, so if you inflate hardpoint count you'd have to avoid stepping on its toes. I suppose at this point we have so many mechs and variants in the game, though, that some overlap is going to be inevitable, unless you start specifically looking for mechs to add that have MASC as an option.

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 21 January 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

More like the love child of a Sagittaire and a Crab with some Black Lanner stylings on the arms. It's definitely a looker of a mech, but seems like it might have Champion type problems with convergence. Doesn't necessarily bring a whole lot that's new to the IS mech stable, either. Yeah, it's high mounts with ECM, but you get something similar out of the Thanatos, so if you inflate hardpoint count you'd have to avoid stepping on its toes. I suppose at this point we have so many mechs and variants in the game, though, that some overlap is going to be inevitable, unless you start specifically looking for mechs to add that have MASC as an option.

Well the Thanatos is more missile based and it doesn't have any variants with both arms having ballistics and as I said, all of it's variants have missile hps. None of the DFire variants have missiles.

Also as much as I love jjm1's artwork, ultimately it'll come down to what Alex and PGI do with it. Still it's arms aren't Champion like, the mech itself is fairly streamlined.

Edited by TheArisen, 21 January 2019 - 08:13 AM.

#10 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,965 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

this thread is potato approved Posted Image

#11 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

It's from the Star League and practically as old as the Marauder. But with XL, DHS and Gauss, and a missing blueprint it was as lostech as it gets.

For variants, you could do a few things Marauder variants picked up over the years like JJs and supplemental missiles, obviously it's hard to be super unique when there are more chassis than useful weapon combos. But it looks different, so who cares.

I'm drawing up some heroes now.

#12 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:53 AM

Fantastic artwork jjm1 and giorgio. Absolutely great and interesting takes, I love the stylizing of both. Giorgio's is a bit like what would happen if you gave a Catapult a different CT and ballistic sidearms, but looks absolutely badass doing so.

jjm1's imo is more true to form while absolutely pulling off a quality and original work that looks awesome.

Bravo guys. A bit jelly, not gonna lie.

#13 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

The Dragon Fire is the principle bad guy ride during the FCCW. Whenever the heroes need stiff opposition there will be a Dragon Fire. So it is mentioned a lot in the novels. But it is also a common sight among the good guys.

So we have a number of named pilots:
  • Michael Searcy, Solaris VII (main character of Illusions of Victory)
  • Aubry Larsen, Solaris VII
  • Billy Dragomil, 9th Ghost Regiment
  • Gerald DuBois, Fighting Urukhai
  • Julie Hoffman, Alarion Jäger
  • Baroness Monique Reins, 2nd Robinson Rangers
  • Gerst, Kathil CMM
  • (Plus a lot of unknown characters dying in their Dragonfires; as I said it is a quite a common sight in the novels)
With a presence like this it is a valid addition to any FCCW-era game. In fact, it is a shame we don't have it already.

View PostVerilligo, on 21 January 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

Yeah, it's high mounts with ECM, but you get something similar out of the Thanatos

The Thanatos, besides being a largely irrelevant Mech in the lore (unlike the Dragon Fire), has a number of problems. If you want to do dual gauss, you'll have to use torso mounts which is hardly ideal. Geometry is also a huge problem, as the Thanatos is basically a walking brick.
It's very easy to isolate its components. The pod-shaped geometry of the DFire probably rolls the damage a lot better (depending on PGI not screwing up).

I mean the Thanatos is not as bad as most think it is, but in terms of survivability it really has its problems. There is a reason we don't see it much.
Also, in terms of firepower, the DFire can run some builds the Thanatos can't (or just badly so). Dual AC/20 e.g. with ECM and LFE (or XL).

Edited by FLG 01, 21 January 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#14 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Nearly a decade ago I met a woman with whom I shared much in common interest, with whom I explored passions new and shared my deepest self.

In time, we sought the adventures of matrimony and even offspring.

Today, however. I am in love.

Also. Cool mech. This would entice me to the exchange of coloured paper with old people's faces on it.

#15 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 21 January 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

The Thanatos, besides being a largely irrelevant Mech in the lore (unlike the Dragon Fire), has a number of problems. If you want to do dual gauss, you'll have to use torso mounts which is hardly ideal. Geometry is also a huge problem, as the Thanatos is basically a walking brick.
It's very easy to isolate its components. The pod-shaped geometry of the DFire probably rolls the damage a lot better (depending on PGI not screwing up).

I mean the Thanatos is not as bad as most think it is, but in terms of survivability it really has its problems. There is a reason we don't see it much.
Also, in terms of firepower, the DFire can run some builds the Thanatos can't (or just badly so). Dual AC/20 e.g. with ECM and LFE (or XL).

I'll agree that there are some things (twin arm-mount ballistics) the DFire can do that the Thanny can't, but I'm not as convinced that those things are big deals. The torso mounts for twin ballistics on the Thanny are... honestly terrific, given how high they're mounted, although they do interfere with doing optimized stealth armor builds. But if you allow for optimization, all you're doing is further promoting 75-ton gauss vomit. Still, it's not totally without merits on the new build front.

I'll also admit that the Thanny does have some survivability issues, I have one of my own and even with the armor quirks it goes down stupendously fast. But based on what I'm seeing, I'm not certain the DFire would be constructed all that much better. I can very easily see PGI's 3D modelers going in and essentially constructing a 75-80% sized King Crab torso and plopping MCII arms onto it with some Marauder legs. It takes away some of the attractiveness.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

They won't do the pelvis gun, which is sad because I actually like the idea it provides. If it also had lower arm actuators, it could allow me to hit 3 separate targets at once for a whole new level of fun!

There's also this.
Posted Image
Oh wait... flamers don't look like flame throwers anymore..

#17 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 January 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

They won't do the pelvis gun, which is sad because I actually like the idea it provides. If it also had lower arm actuators, it could allow me to hit 3 separate targets at once for a whole new level of fun!

There's also this.
Posted Image
Oh wait... flamers don't look like flame throwers anymore..

Hahaha I'm not sad no one did the phallus laser.

#18 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

If PGI wants to add another IS heavy that isn't in the MW5 time frame this would be a great mech to add as it is from 3058 well with in the time frame for MWO.

#19 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 21 January 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

If PGI wants to add another IS heavy that isn't in the MW5 time frame this would be a great mech to add as it is from 3058 well with in the time frame for MWO.

I think it could also be valuable for them to start building up the numbers for future MW5 DLC.

#20 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

It does look like a viable mech. Provided PGI keeps the hard points parallel to the eye line of the cockpit. And also doesn't inflate the hitboxes too much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users