To All Of The Wonderful, Casual/competitive Mechwarrior Pilots That Only Do Quick Play Because They Hate Getting Stomped In Faction Warfare Solo Drops

152 replies to this topic

#1 0regon

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:54 AM

I just met another pilot today who has been bored with Quick Play for years; loves the concept and dynamic of Faction Warfare; but has avoided it until only recently, simply because every time he'd play a solo match, he'd get cremated by any type of coordinated opposition. He's a dang good pilot, a great team player, and would be a great addition to many of the units that play FW. He said the biggest problem he had was that he didn't have the players on his friends list that normally have groups going.

That's a problem.

Now, despite the fact that pretty much all of my previous posts in these forums were meant to either troll the forum warriors, or mine precious salt, I genuinely care about the community, the game, and the future of Faction Warfare. For the record, I spend very little time here reading the forum posts and threads, even the ones I've started. But, I play FW. I'm a little embarrassed to say I play a LOT of FW. About 8000 hours in the last 3 years. Am I still a potato? YES! But I know the mode, and I know the players. I'm pretty sure I know what the mode needs and the players want. I'm all about helping grow FW, not mow FW. So, if you're one of those Quick Play dudes that's looking to experience some truly enjoyable Faction Warfare matches, then read on.

First off. IMHO, Quick Play should be regarded as the "Boot camp" of MechWarrior Online. The match making system provides a buffer for pilots, allowing them time to acquire Mechs, C-Bills, skills, and experience with players of their own skill level. But once you've racked up a few hundred hours playing QP, you'll likely begin to bore from the repetition and seek a more immersive, team-oriented, competitive experience. It's at this point that I would highly recommend to casual/competitive players to consider getting involved in Faction Warfare. IMHO, FW is the best MechWarrior Online has to offer to CASUAL, competitive, team-oriented player's that want maximum enjoyment from the game.

Most Faction Warfare players have these things in common (useful as a general guideline):
- A diverse array of Clan and/or IS mechs including: Brawlers, Mid/long range traders, a few snipers for both hot maps and cold maps ie: Lasers for cold, Dakka for hot, ect. As well as mechs suited for specific modes/maps: ie: slow, tanky, brawlers for siege defense, erll for Polar Skirmish, ect.
- A good understanding of the game mechanics, maps and modes.
- Headphones with a mic, push to talk (preferrably) and access to teamspeak or discord
along with the ability to communicate effectively and follow the drop callers instructions.
- This is practically a must so it begs repeating: The ability to follow the drop callers instructions/
- Enough Cbills to buy a few mechs that the guys you end up running ask you to purchase.
- And most importantly: The ability to follow the drop callers commands/instructions.
- A ranking of at least 60% (preferrably 80% or better) on Jarls list.

If you're at this level of development or close to it then you're there. All you need now is the right group to drop with. And I can help with that :-) I know just about every unit dropping FW right now. Granted, I'm not as familiar with the groups that drop in the European time zone, but I know enough to be of service to the community. For example (I'm exluding mentioning the unit I'm in, 07 Bacon, from these examples--even though it is a stellar unit composed of some of the coolest FW pilots I've ever had the pleasure of playing with--simply to avoid stigmatizing this post as some sort of recruitment ploy. My intention is SOLEY to help experienced Quick Play pilots find a comfortable group of players (Units) to enjoy FW with.) : Please note that if I've mentioned you or your unit in this post and you would like me to remove it then pm me and I will happily and promptly do so. Also note:there are other great units and players that make up the Faction Warfare community. I am only listing the groups and players that IMO are the most active currently, hence providing you with the best opportunity to get regular FW action.

The number one BEST Faction Warfare player to know to get matches, and indeed the best things to happen to Faction Warfare in general is the player: MajorMajorcatch22 aka: GullyD . Find him....Friend him....and if you're lucky enough to get invited to his group then for God's sake, listen to his calls. He one of the most team oriented players, with a diverse play book, and a ton of experience calling/dropping FW matches. Yes, he'll yell at the group, and yes, he'll get ticked off. But, I assure you, it's only because he's at the tip of the spear, leading the push and doesn't want guys in the back lonewolfing it or meat shielding the group. He is the real star behind FW atm. He knows just about every active TS channel, and you can often find him on the steiner ts server. He is the only FW player I've seen get a full group going on the IS side, get a ghost drop, leave the group, log into his clan account, and get a group going on clan side just so we can have a FW match. Honestly, PGI should give him a medal for his efforts.

Join ISMO!!! If you're the kind of pilot that likes to win often, has an aggressive play style, as well as a somewhat perverted sense of humor (think Pulp Fiction or Reservior Dogs) then you need to drop a few Invasion matches with ISMO. Although this group is highly competitive and disciplined during a match, they are always entertaining to run with. Not for the faint of heart, Jay's often, explosive and emotional outbursts, and/or chat based trolling brings an intensity to the matches that compliments the groups coordinated, cohesive play style. They are feared/respected by EVERY group or unit that drop FW. If someone says they haven't lost to these guy...Their lying!

The last time I checked European Quick Play pilots need look no further than -BO- to find a competitive FW group to play with. Comprised of experienced, mainly German speaking players, the Black Outlaws are an old unit, with many active players. They play well with others, and are even tolerant of English speaking players that may visit their TS channel when dropping with them.

DSx is an amazing unit that takes a lore based approach to their infrastructure. Led by a charismatic, friendly, and competent pilot, DSx has attracted some of better players in the game. Because they are Diamond Shark, you'd better have plenty of clan mechs. They are highly coordinated, and run a versatile array of specialized decks and builds. Not to mention that they are very welcoming to new players, and will help get you up to speed and winning FW matches in NO TIME

MS (MercStar), HHoD (Head Hunters of Davion) are active FW units that are a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield. I see MS around pretty regularly, and got beaten pretty badly by a group just the other day. They are one of the oldest FW units around, and MS is the only unit I've seen around lately to have TWO groups running at the same time! They have excellent drop callers, experienced pilots, and good comms.

These are just a few of the units that drop Faction Warfare regularly, as well as a little info about their style. What I'm trying to illustrate here is my understanding of the guys and groups that comprise the FW player base. And if you, as a QP pilot, or really as any pilot would like a suggestion on which unit or group of guys might be a good fit for you and your play style and temperament then I'll happily do it for $50 per recommendation. Just kidding gentlemen. I'd do it because I truly love you guys and would love to see FW grow and thrive. HMU at my teamspeak. Bacon.teamspeak3.ORG pw: BaconBits if you'd like. That's the best place to find me. Or message me in game. I'd be happy to provide any guidance I can. See you all in-game!
Join ISMO!

Edited by 0regon, 22 January 2019 - 05:02 AM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:08 AM

These long thread titles really get me excited for a quality post each time you do it

Each time I've been let down.

#3 0regon

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:32 AM

not worth it

Edited by 0regon, 22 January 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#4 Lotspeech

• PipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 January 2019 - 05:08 AM, said:

The trick is to expect the worst, that was anything better is a happy suprise.

#5 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

These long thread titles really get me excited for a quality post each time you do it

#6 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

View Post0regon, on 22 January 2019 - 04:54 AM, said:

Now, despite the fact that pretty much all of my previous posts in these forums were meant to either troll the forum warriors, or mine precious salt, I genuinely care about the community, the game, and the future of Faction Warfare.

Actually, I have not been let down. I was laughing hard.

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Actually all in all the advice is good. General expectations and listing a free teams that are friendly for players looking to get into (or group up in) FW.

Everyone has already heard the short version -

Follow calls, bring a decent deck, group up.

A bit more detail for those interested isn't bad.

#8 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

Looks like someone is mad his unit wasn't named... Posted Image

#9 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

View PostKunato Developments, on 22 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

Looks like someone is mad his unit wasn't named...

Lmao, yeah, Im sure he's gonna lose a lot of sleep over this

#10 0regon

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

You can also send me a friend request when you see me in game. I usually auto reject any friend requests from unknown peeps, but I'll avoid doing that in the spirit of helping mew-to-FW players. Fyi, you won't get anywhere sending Oregon (with an O) an invite though, lol. You'll have to send it to 0regon (with a zero). Good luck and see you in game!

#11 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

Join ISMO!!!

If you could count to 10 without using your fingers, ISMO is not the unit for you.

#12 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the 'Shark Out' to DSx. Always great to drop with you.

#13 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 January 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

Lmao, yeah, Im sure he's gonna lose a lot of sleep over this

Lol yeah, we're all distraught we weren't listed I assure you.

Might have to make a 2nd unit. EmPP. Where the requirements are you can't have higher than 170 average match score to join.

#14 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

FW is the best MechWarrior Online has to offer to CASUAL, competitive, team-oriented player's that want maximum enjoyment from the game.

Player/PGI run leagues are the BEST MechWarrior Online has to offer to CASUAL, competitive, team-oriented player's.

There is a reason most competitive teams do not play FW, it sucks.

Quick play ( groups ) is harder than FW......

For anyone thinking FW has or will ever be the end game of MWO or a competitive mode of MWO.... you need to sober up, that ship sail when PGI gave up on the game mode before it was out.

Edited by live1991, 22 January 2019 - 07:33 PM.

#15 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:57 PM

View Postlive1991, on 22 January 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Player/PGI run leagues are the BEST MechWarrior Online has to offer to CASUAL, competitive, team-oriented player's.

There is a reason most competitive teams do not play FW, it sucks.

Quick play ( groups ) is harder than FW......

For anyone thinking FW has or will ever be the end game of MWO or a competitive mode of MWO.... you need to sober up, that ship sail when PGI gave up on the game mode before it was out.

FP is not the competitive mode of MWO, I don't think anyone has any illusions about that. But it is the best non-competitive team mode in MWO, and occasionally you'll find yourself in comp difficulty level drops with a lot more variables, which you won't see in solo qp, and rarely in group qp.

QP is not harder than FP, it's just different. The reason most competitive teams don't play FP is because none of the comp modes are anything like FP. If your goal is to be the best at something, why the f would you practice something else?

#16 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 January 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

FP is not the competitive mode of MWO, I don't think anyone has any illusions about that. But it is the best non-competitive team mode in MWO, and occasionally you'll find yourself in comp difficulty level drops with a lot more variables, which you won't see in solo qp, and rarely in group qp.

It's a common thing people ***** in QP..... Go to CW if you wanna be a try hard ( maybe not in your timezone, But NA (Weekends )

Also the OP was Posted Image

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 January 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

[color=#959595]QP is not harder than FP, it's just different. The reason most competitive teams don't play FP is because none of the comp modes are anything like FP. If your goal is to be the best at something, why the f would you practice something else? [/color]

QP groups is harder IMO or maybe more likely to be harder than FP, As it was rare to find a 12 v 12 match in FP

I think most don't play it as its the worst team-oriented mode in MWO and the skill gap is crazy ( trial mechs players, very very very new players, bad builds that hurt more in FP than QP ( which is what QP is turning into anyway))

Edited by live1991, 22 January 2019 - 09:27 PM.

#17 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

GQ is a dumpster fire with the non tier 1 potatoes trying to go up against comp pilots and getting rolled. If you want to find the most number of solid matches you play FP. Granted that you don't get solid matches everyday, there are still lots of challenging matches in FP in EU primetime (when I usually play). Just pop by my stream and I will show you the truth :) (shameless self advertising)

#18 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

View Postlive1991, on 22 January 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

It's a common thing people ***** in QP..... Go to CW if you wanna be a try hard ( maybe not in your timezone, But NA (Weekends )

Also the OP was Posted Image

QP groups is harder IMO or maybe more likely to be harder than FP, As it was rare to find a 12 v 12 match in FP

I think most don't play it as its the worst team-oriented mode in MWO and the skill gap is crazy ( trial mechs players, very very very new players, bad builds that hurt more in FP than QP ( which is what QP is turning into anyway))

I dunno, I find in an avg qp drop players do more dumb sh*t than in fp. Don't get me wrong, ppl do plenty stupid things in fp too, but its much better because you usually end up with some organized groups of players that have a remote idea of what they're doing, even when playing solo. But because of the matchmaker design solos have a hard time finding drops. So if you want to play you basically have to join a group.

#19 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:37 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 January 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

I dunno, I find in an avg qp drop players do more dumb sh*t than in fp.

I've got to agree. While the average FW pug will at least vaguely adjust to the map selected, the average QP pug is more inclined to take "whatever they feel like taking," especially since they don't know what map they'll end up on.

#20 0regon

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

Honorary mention certainly goes to several Units in FW. Without units like GNX, 420, ISEN, CSPS, LoDD, ARC7, 10D, and the (T) Templars Faction Warfare would not be the same. GNX in particular really stands out in my mind. They are a constant presence on the battlefield, have a formidable caller, excellent strats, and a gracious, respectful attitude to everyone, even if they lose a match. Some of the closest, most enjoyable matches I've had have been against GNX, and they are always ready to que up again for a rematch.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users