Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

QQ

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

I take it MW2 was the last game your played, over a decade ago?

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostMechWrecker, on 24 January 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

You take it wrong. Also, why did you not make a point? Do you just reply for no reason? This has in no way reached a beta version of game play.

I'm on my phone waiting to give blood, and I definitely need a keyboard to completely engage in this bewildering thread. MWO is certainly a mess, but so is this thing.

Edited by Bombast, 24 January 2019 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostMechWrecker, on 24 January 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

90+% of the content added is simply to fill someone's work-time adding no game play value whatsoever.

Are you saying mech packs are bloat?

#5 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 January 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

Are you saying mech packs are bloat?

No, of course not. Maps with detail are bloat.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

View PostBombast, on 24 January 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

No, of course not. Maps with detail are bloat.

Now I’m really confused. Can we get more bloat then?

#7 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostMechWrecker, on 24 January 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

The single artist working for MWO should have been fired long before he got to work on this project.

Proof of trollpost. The game's mech artist is one of the few things that everyone CAN agree is amazing. You can fuss about map design and the 3D modeling of some mechs, sure. But the art? Nah, man, not cool.

#8 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 January 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

Now I’m really confused. Can we get more bloat then?

No. In fact, we should remove every map but Grim Plexus until PGIs artists get shamed into learning programming and fixing the UI. Preferably by making it look like something from the mid 90s.

View PostVerilligo, on 24 January 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Proof of trollpost. The game's mech artist is one of the few things that everyone CAN agree is amazing. You can fuss about map design and the 3D modeling of some mechs, sure. But the art? Nah, man, not cool.

Well, I can say some bad stuff about MWOs art direction. But it's not because Alex is bad at his job.

Edited by Bombast, 24 January 2019 - 10:59 AM.

#9 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

The art is the only reason this game demo has lasted so long.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

View PostBombast, on 24 January 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

No. In fact, we should remove every map but Grim Plexus until PGIs artists get shamed into learning programming and fixing the UI. Preferably by making it look like something from the mid 90s.

Wait...

But then shouldn’t we just go with Solaris city?

-rim shot-

#11 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

MW2 is the best game based on BT IP, full stop.

#12 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

View PostCyanogene, on 24 January 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

MW2 is the best game based on BT IP, full stop.

I'd argue for MW3, followed up MW2:Merc.

#13 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

View PostBombast, on 24 January 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

I'd argue for MW3, followed up MW2:Merc.

I'm not sure I can agree with that, given the netcode that MW3 was stuck with. Also not terribly well-balanced, if memory serves? It had the atmosphere and general aesthetic right, though.

#14 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

View PostVerilligo, on 24 January 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure I can agree with that, given the netcode that MW3 was stuck with. Also not terribly well-balanced, if memory serves? It had the atmosphere and general aesthetic right, though.

All of that is true, which let's you know my priorities.

#15 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

In spirit, I agree with OP.

#16 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

I think we done been trolled.

I mean, I think it's accepted that we all want more maps. Preferably, we'd like more maps where there is no 'fixed center' to encourage the "potato rotate-o tornado". Supposedly, soon™, we'll be getting back the "classic" versions of Forest Colony and Frozen City (this will be interesting considering how small those maps were), which most of us agree is a good thing (and quite frankly were confused why they took them out instead of adding the new versions to the rotation too, but whatever).

We've got an absolute F-ton of 'mechs, over 600 not counting champs, which is like what, over 100 different chassis? Ultimately most of us can reasonably say, "Yes, more 'mechs, long term, are a good thing", while we can argue over actually paying real money, the effectiveness of certain builds, maybe some of the various hit box issues, and the like, over all again, a good thing.

Game modes? Yeah have Solaris (1v1 and 2v2), we have quick play (and it's iterations), we have FP (with a 4v4 scouting option). Sure, we'd like to see more, and we can argue over the effectiveness of FP, and the success of Solaris, but over all there ARE a lot of options.

Weapon types? Yep, lots of those. We can argue the balance, and effectiveness, and whether or not some of the newer stuff is just XML gaming of the old stuff, but there's enough difference between all the types when combined with all the various 'mechs available, there can be an incredible variation of builds.

Eye candy and stuff? Lots of that, from colors, decals, bolt ons, automated audio tea bagging (war horns), to camo skins, cockpit items and all the like.

Overall, for an F2P game, there sure does seem like there's a LOT of stuff.

I guess it depends on your definitions of 'content'...

Some of the OPs complaints were kind of specific:

[color=#959595]The mechs move at impossibly fast speeds [/color]

Some of them do, and they can be annoying. Generally it's the lightest and smallest that have this movement type, probably for good reason, but, it could be argued some should be toned down a bit.

[color=#959595]they climb hills they would never be able too[/color]

Maybe, maybe not. This seems more opinion.

[color=#959595]the worlds have hills absolutely unrealistic. [/color]

This needs more explanation.

[color=#959595]All the configuration aspects have been manipulated to equalize all the mechs.[/color]

It's called balance, they're not "equalized" so much as "normalized", which is a completely different thing altogether.

What I'd like to see the OP elaborate on is the following:

[color=#959595]This version is missing dozens and dozens of basic gameplay concepts well understood in 1995. [/color]

Which concepts?

[color=#959595]Bloatware. 90+% of the content added is simply to fill someone's work-time adding no game play value whatsoever. Why would they take time to add maps with any detail whatsoever, but not spend the time on the GUI.[/color]

Be more specific please. What is the bloatware, you're referring to? The detail in the maps? I don't think I agree with your opinion.

What specifically about GUI needs more time spent on it?

#17 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 January 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

I think we done been trolled.

I mean, I think it's accepted that we all want more maps. Preferably, we'd like more maps where there is no 'fixed center' to encourage the "potato rotate-o tornado". Supposedly, soon™, we'll be getting back the "classic" versions of Forest Colony and Frozen City (this will be interesting considering how small those maps were), which most of us agree is a good thing (and quite frankly were confused why they took them out instead of adding the new versions to the rotation too, but whatever).

We've got an absolute F-ton of 'mechs, over 600 not counting champs, which is like what, over 100 different chassis? Ultimately most of us can reasonably say, "Yes, more 'mechs, long term, are a good thing", while we can argue over actually paying real money, the effectiveness of certain builds, maybe some of the various hit box issues, and the like, over all again, a good thing.

Game modes? Yeah have Solaris (1v1 and 2v2), we have quick play (and it's iterations), we have FP (with a 4v4 scouting option). Sure, we'd like to see more, and we can argue over the effectiveness of FP, and the success of Solaris, but over all there ARE a lot of options.

Weapon types? Yep, lots of those. We can argue the balance, and effectiveness, and whether or not some of the newer stuff is just XML gaming of the old stuff, but there's enough difference between all the types when combined with all the various 'mechs available, there can be an incredible variation of builds.

Eye candy and stuff? Lots of that, from colors, decals, bolt ons, automated audio tea bagging (war horns), to camo skins, cockpit items and all the like.

Overall, for an F2P game, there sure does seem like there's a LOT of stuff.

I guess it depends on your definitions of 'content'...

Some of the OPs complaints were kind of specific:

[color=#959595]The mechs move at impossibly fast speeds [/color]

Some of them do, and they can be annoying. Generally it's the lightest and smallest that have this movement type, probably for good reason, but, it could be argued some should be toned down a bit.

[color=#959595]they climb hills they would never be able too[/color]

Maybe, maybe not. This seems more opinion.

[color=#959595]the worlds have hills absolutely unrealistic. [/color]

This needs more explanation.

[color=#959595]All the configuration aspects have been manipulated to equalize all the mechs.[/color]

It's called balance, they're not "equalized" so much as "normalized", which is a completely different thing altogether.

What I'd like to see the OP elaborate on is the following:

[color=#959595]This version is missing dozens and dozens of basic gameplay concepts well understood in 1995. [/color]

Which concepts?

[color=#959595]Bloatware. 90+% of the content added is simply to fill someone's work-time adding no game play value whatsoever. Why would they take time to add maps with any detail whatsoever, but not spend the time on the GUI.[/color]

Be more specific please. What is the bloatware, you're referring to? The detail in the maps? I don't think I agree with your opinion.

What specifically about GUI needs more time spent on it?

I know this post isn't directed at me but I still wanted to point out some things.

Your right there is alot of "Stuff" but it is very poorly implemented "Stuff". Honestly it isn't the lack of "Stuff" that is this issue, it is the lack of "Polish" that is the issue. Everything in this game seems like it was just smashed together half-arsed and willy-nilly and several key things that would go along way to making the game more enjoyable, like adding a slew of new maps on a regular basis, never seems to be a priority despite the community asking for them over and over and over.

The honest truth is that it just feels like PGI has never placed any sort of priority or devoted any sort of major effort on MWO. Hell back in the day us founders found out that of the millions of dollars us founders invested, most of it got diverted away from the development of MWO to fund other projects. That is just the attitude PGI has always seem to have had about MWO.

Now I am not sure if this is fair or not or if this neglect is really going on but this is the impression that PGI has left with me in regards to MWO so I can absolutely understand why many people criticize the state of the game. It just doesn't feel like MWO, beyond being a source of funding for other projects and activities related to that funding, is anything that PGI really cares about and almost everything be it QP, FW, Solaris, etc feels like it was rolled out to us in a beta state and left there to whither.

#18 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

Jarl says no recorded games.

#19 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 24 January 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Jarl says no recorded games.

+ Member Since 31 Jul 2012
+ he likes his own posts.. what a jerk.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

i follow this simple rule of thumb as to whether or not your game is beta:

if it was made after 2005, its beta. completed games are lostech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users