2 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Its hard enough to get some time out on a board, without mall cops or police chasing after you when your just trying to get some fresh air and exercise.

Now days, I see moms sticking a smart phone or tablet into the hands of young kids instead of just letting them play. So they don't get any exercise, at least they are quiet.

Then in school, they took out recess. When a kid squirm in the seat, they have a pill for that. When they get home it's off to the t.v. Now don't get me wrong, I am not against T.V. I just feel that little kids spend too much time with the idiot box. Now junior is what now, double extra fat and heading for triple.

Doctors say that the kid is obese. Scape goat, blame the soda industry instead of lifestyle.

That's okay, as your favorite soft drink becomes the bad guy.

Now it seem that people are pressing for driverless cars and drones that will deliver your peanut butter for you.

That's great. Just don't forget to widen the doors and get a heavy duty suspension system for your car. Your gonna need them.

#2 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

How about getting into urban planners and way too lenient judicial systems as well.

Here in Australia the standard 1/4 acre block is but a thing of memory. New developments, if they have a yard at all leave less than 2m to the back fence and if your lucky the 10 meter width of the block, not big enough for anything. Existing homes with large yards are being demolished at a huge rate. Next to my parents house where I grew up were 2 semidetached homes with about a 800 square meter block between them, It now has 5, 3 bedroom units which share walls and roof. No yard either front or back and not even enough space to park a car between driveways, which means the space on the road where the existing houses still are is filled with the inevitable second car that doesn't fit onto the owners block.

Which leads to my second point. Streets are filled with parked cars and traffic flow is much higher meaning games of street cricket (stick ball in the US, I guess) or riding a bike is impossible if not out right dangerous. And that's in wide streets like where I grew up, the new developments have streets that are barely wide enough for a car to get past another one when it's parked.

Send the kids to the park you say. Not on their own. The parks are generally populated with homeless drunks/drug addicts or stalked by pedophiles. They can't go there unsupervised which puts even more pressure on parents limited time. Same goes for letting them walk to school, to many weirdos and idiot drivers out there to let that happen.

The population density of kids is way lower, I used to have at least half a dozen kids in my street when I grew up now it seems as though there is barely a kid in every tenth house. Take into account age and gender disparities and it is unlikely that some kids will even have friends in their immediate neighborhood. Most of my Daughters friends live miles away. Again making it a parents responsibility to transport them.

I am not at all surprised that kids these day grow up in front of a screen, because society has taken all the other practical choices away.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:16 AM

where i live there are hardly any fat kids. of course there is no fast food and cocke cost $3 a bottle. there are kids everywhere all playing outside. of course this is a rural fishing town in alaska, so there really isnt anything else to do.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 January 2019 - 01:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users