Increase Conquest Goal

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Increase Conquest Goal (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Increase Conquest Goal ?

1. Yes (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

Conquest games typically end too fast, specially in Faction Play.

Example of increase :
- From 750 to 1000 for Quick Play
- From 1250 to 2000 for Faction Play

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

I'll give this idea my SUPPORT... :)

However, I feel like the following values might be more suitable...
  • Quick Play should definitely go to 1000
  • Faction Warfare should be bumped only to 1600, because 2000 feels like way too much to me
...and other than that, pardon me while I go punch the "Yes" Button on your Poll above. :huh:

~D. V. "I've been wondering if the Conquest Goal needed an increase. Now, I know it does." Devnull

#3 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

Well a single cap can produce up to 25x60 = 1500 points, so up to 7500 points for 5 caps (4500 for QP).

Even if you waste ~1500 points at the beginning before all 5 caps start ticking, that's up to 6000/2=3000 for FP (and 3000/2=1500 for QP).

Alternative option : Never stop ticking !

Just keep the caps ticking till one side loses 48 mechs (kill win), or the time is up (cap points win).

#4 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:29 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 12 February 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Well a single cap can produce up to 25x60 = 1500 points, so up to 7500 points for 5 caps (4500 for QP).

Even if you waste ~1500 points at the beginning before all 5 caps start ticking, that's up to 6000/2=3000 for FP (and 3000/2=1500 for QP).

Eh... I don't think we want to set it so high that the noobs start complaining about how they hate needing to reach a quote-unquote "insane goal" to complete a Match. That's why 1000 QP and 1600 FP stuck out at me, as we don't need Matches to last way too long. :(

View PostHumble Dexter, on 12 February 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Alternative option : Never stop ticking !

Just keep the caps ticking till one side loses 48 mechs (kill win), or the time is up (cap points win).

Yeah, when time is up, there's no more to be done. Highest amount of Capture Point Earnings at the timeout point should have the Victory, if a match happens to end that particular way. :)

However, on that one which you brought up about kills, I think PGI might want to change how they handle it. Ending things on Last Death, but only if combined with controlling enough to reach the Goal before the Enemy, means that one side basically has to sit there with the Opposing Team rubbing it all in their faces. It could (possibly should) be modified so that if the Last Death occurs on the side with the Highest Capture Point Earnings, and that side which died completely also has the most Controlled Nodes, then an Audio Notice about Enemy Orbital Bombardment is heard, pointing out that they'll not give in against you due to their advantage. At that point, you're notified that you can not turn this around, the Control Points have been Locked Out (which also means that they stop counting at this point too) successfully by the Enemy, and you'll be picked up and taken to safety if everyone can get to the Drop Zones (it doesn't have to be the Original Drop Zone, as long as everyone in Your Team makes it within the Drop Zone Boundaries) within about two to three minutes. In this kind of Scenario, should everyone needing to escape successfully (in other words, Your Team) make it to the Drop Zones, then the Match is declared a Tie, with the Opposing Team being notified that Your Team has escaped the Bombardment Attempt and that you could not be stopped in orbit from getting away, preventing a fully successful Conquest of that location at this time. However, if anyone fails to make it in time, then those who made it within the Drop Zone's Safety Boundary are the only ones to hear an Audio Notice that they're being picked up and carried to safety in time. Those who didn't reach the Drop Zone Boundary in time unfortunately see their Mech getting nuked apart but they don't take an extra Death, and the Opposing Team does NOT rack up an extra Kill and/or Kill Assist on their earnings. The ones who got their Mech nuked apart hear an Audio Notice that things got beyond their control, and that particular Mech being blown away will NOT be counted against them. At the same time, the Enemy Team gets to hear an Audio Notice that the Orbital Bombardment was successful and the location is theirs (which also means that the Match would be a Victory for them), but the stragglers which were nailed by the bombs are NOT something which they can actually earn from because the Bombardment did the real work for them. After all, we can't have that kind of Victory for the Opposing Team being anything more than bittersweet, as that's all it really is. But hey, this is just my idea that would force BOTH Teams to have to plan their Conquest Strategy carefully, lest one side fall victim to the other somehow. I guess I'm left to ask, as this Idea is really NOT a troll, what do you think of this hard-to-code (but probably rather overloaded with positive intentions) Design from my thoughts? :o

~Mr. D. V. "My brain was in overdrive when I thought of this Alternate Conquest Design." Devnull

#5 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 13 February 2019 - 12:29 AM, said:

Eh... I don't think we want to set it so high that the noobs start complaining about how they hate needing to reach a quote-unquote "insane goal" to complete a Match. That's why 1000 QP and 1600 FP stuck out at me, as we don't need Matches to last way too long. Posted Image

The time limit for conquest is 15min (25 min for FP), and unless players refuse to cap, you will always reach that many cap points before that time limit, because the caps never stop ticking, and each one produces 1 point per second unless neutral.

#6 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:54 PM

Eh. Not voting since I'm not sure. Part of me thinks it'll just get teams to ignore the goal even more in QP. "Oh, we're only at 500 of 1000, we've got time!" But maybe I'm just cynical like that. :)

#7 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:51 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 13 February 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

The time limit for conquest is 15min (25 min for FP), and unless players refuse to cap, you will always reach that many cap points before that time limit, because the caps never stop ticking, and each one produces 1 point per second unless neutral.

That right there is exactly the problem which I'm worried about, or at least as similar as being back-capped by the Enemy Team gets, just like this other person which I'm quoting makes note of...

View PostBlacksheep One, on 13 February 2019 - 09:54 PM, said:

Eh. Not voting since I'm not sure. Part of me thinks it'll just get teams to ignore the goal even more in QP. "Oh, we're only at 500 of 1000, we've got time!" But maybe I'm just cynical like that. Posted Image

...but unlike them, I'm supporting the idea in general because I do think the Goal Line needs to be increased. That's why I voted "Yes", and I'm sticking to that. Let's hope this idea to "Increase The Conquest Goal Line" succeeds, so we can have rounds in the future with more overall strategy and gameplay to them. :D

On other notes, what did you think of my expansion to your other idea regarding the Last Death during a Conquest Match, and the associated Win/Tie/Loss Conditions? :o

~D. V. "Still definitely in agreement on increasing the Goal Line, just not as to how far... What about the other thing?" Devnull

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:01 AM

I think no as it makes ignoring the objectives/caps more viable whilst your team wipes the enemy

Increasing the time means people can ignore it longer.

IMO to attain the effect you desire OP, make it shorter not longer

Say 500 for Quick play, would make people really pay attention to caps
But people whine so it probably won't happen.

For FW I dunno as I don't play it much

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 14 February 2019 - 03:05 AM.

#9 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:09 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 13 February 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Unless your team is already dead, then the game is over cap or no cap

THE OBJECTIVE IS TO WIN

Caps are a winning condition (wrongly named as objectives)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users