#1 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:09 AM

I've been playing with dual RAC5's for the last two weeks or so and have been really enjoying two mechs that I've set up for the style. I bought and built my Catapult K2 'Facetime' for this after seeing a Baradul video where he plays something similar. RAC5's are tough to use as a primary weapon for lots of reasons, but they're so fun and I'm determined to get good at it.

The K2 is pretty good for it. Back when I decided upon this mech, It was down to either this or the Bushwacker. This had more armor and I liked the profile. Still, I found that the facetime required to do hardcore damage was a little too much to ask even for this mech. I'm still skilling it up, but the armor should help. I love this mech's maneuverability (after bumping up the torso pitch and mobility). With these weapons, you have to be really careful with cover and flanking. I've since designed another dual RAC5 build that I put on an Atlas D-DC (Atlas forum post here).

I find myself playing this mech a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by renzor51, 29 January 2019 - 01:14 AM.

#2 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:14 AM

It is definetly a nice machine we don't see all that often.
I personaly run mine with a single RAC5, double medium pulse lasers and double snub nosed PPC, that way I have both pinpoint and backup for when the RAC jams.
However I had to sacrifice the engine size for that.

However, I don't think you need that much ammo for the RAC/5s. They're a bit slower to spend that ammo due to how fast they heat up. You can drop a ton or two and add an extra heatsink or two, or replace the smalls with mediums :)

#3 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:05 AM

For some quick optimization, exchange 2 tons of ammo for 2 more Double Heat Sinks, you have the free slots for them anyway.

If you don't want to lower ammo count, you can downgrade from LFE300 to LFE295 engine and that spare weight also allows you to fit one extra Double Heat Sink (as you have 3 critical slots still available).

Personally I think Bushwacker is still the better RAC5 carrier due to smaller profile, but it's nice you're liking your K2.

#4 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

View PostSilra, on 29 January 2019 - 05:05 AM, said:

For some quick optimization, exchange 2 tons of ammo for 2 more Double Heat Sinks, you have the free slots for them anyway.

If you don't want to lower ammo count, you can downgrade from LFE300 to LFE295 engine and that spare weight also allows you to fit one extra Double Heat Sink (as you have 3 critical slots still available).

Personally I think Bushwacker is still the better RAC5 carrier due to smaller profile, but it's nice you're liking your K2.

Thanks. Good call. I cut some ammo and added two heat sinks.

#5 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

I love my K2 also but I run dual lbx10 and 4mpl, or 2 ac10s and 4meds. If you're interested you can also run twin rac5s on a Bushwacker P2 or another Bushie with a slimmer torso profile for your rac5 facetime.

#6 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

I ran a k2 2x RAC5, but I got tired of no JJ, no ECM, and went with the Tanatos with it's crappy view port.

If the K2 had JJ it would be one of the best mechs in the game. If you can live without JJ and ECM, it's still wicked good.

#7 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

My K2 with double RAC5's is really fun, but after skilling it up, I don't play it much anymore. It's got a nice, small profile, but still, even with full survival, it's pretty squishy. Right now I've got dual UAC10's on it.

That said, I've got that new special Catapult C2(S) coming my way next month.
(This one: https://mwomercs.com...o-mech-loadouts)

It has JJ's and the 30% c-bill bonus, so I'll probably make that into my Dual RAC5, Mark II. Posted Image Those Missile arms will be a great focus point for incoming enemy fire, and they'll be empty, bwahaha.

Incidentally, since I'm more experienced now with the game, I'd do the skills for such a build like this:
Posted Image

Edited by renzor51, 26 April 2019 - 10:22 AM.

#8 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:44 PM

Cataphract 3D and Bushwacker's are just superior mech's for Dual Rac/5's. the Cataphract has jump jets, better armor. and can support twisting with the Rac/5's . If you learn to both pre rev the Rac/5, and torso twist to allow a little cooldown between, it's punches way above it's weight. The jump jets are amazing for getting in position to really use the rac/5's. I'd go 2 rack /5's and 4 med pulse lasers. only a 4x ac/5 nightstar will out dps you.

The bushwaker is just a turret with legs. it's small, so no one prioritizes it, which works well with rac/5's lol.

Now if you really want to have fun. Run a Nightstar with 4x Rac/2's. nothing, and i mean nothing can survive more then 5 seconds against that thing. It also doesn't run nearly as hot as 2x rac/5's...go figure....just bring coolshot

#9 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

Best builds for QP are 2xLBX10 + 4ML XL300 or 2xUAC5 and 4ML LE300.

#10 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

I run it like this and have pretty good luck. Never ran out of ammo yet.

AC0820@1|i^|Sgpj0|S@|i^|[?qi0|S@|i^|[?rX0|[?|i^sX0|[?tl0|AP|APul0|AP|APv<0w403020

#11 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostShade4x, on 04 June 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Cataphract 3D and Bushwacker's are just superior mech's for Dual Rac/5's. the Cataphract has jump jets, better armor. and can support twisting with the Rac/5's . If you learn to both pre rev the Rac/5, and torso twist to allow a little cooldown between, it's punches way above it's weight. The jump jets are amazing for getting in position to really use the rac/5's. I'd go 2 rack /5's and 4 med pulse lasers. only a 4x ac/5 nightstar will out dps you.

The bushwaker is just a turret with legs. it's small, so no one prioritizes it, which works well with rac/5's lol.

Now if you really want to have fun. Run a Nightstar with 4x Rac/2's. nothing, and i mean nothing can survive more then 5 seconds against that thing. It also doesn't run nearly as hot as 2x rac/5's...go figure....just bring coolshot

:Laughs in Thanatos:

My first dual rac5 was a Cat-K2,

No JJ really hampered my playing style, which is why I eventually went with the Thanatos. Plus ECM rocks.

Now looking at the new C2, I love it. I've been testing it and a dual rac2 and 4x ssrm2 4jj 250Lt 2hs build is really rocking it.

I'll need to work on a rac 5 build too, but I just spent several hours working on this.

Posted Image

It works very nice in testing grounds.

It's based on my boom chicken that absolutely destroys stuff, and it should be able to get over 1500dmg frequently. Sadly It's only as fast as a fast Atlas. But it can still jump like a boss.

FWIW I usually prioritize Bushwackers because they usually mount Racs. But, I don't play them because they don't jump.

#12 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

Posted Image

OR for more speed and less total dmg (probably best for most games)

Posted Image

#13 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:37 PM

View PostShade4x, on 04 June 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Cataphract 3D and Bushwacker's are just superior mech's for Dual Rac/5's. the Cataphract has jump jets, better armor. and can support twisting with the Rac/5's

The problem with the Cataphract is to run dual any AC, you have to run XL on a Mech with wide torsos making it an easy kill.

Currently I am experimenting with something else entirely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users