144Hz Panel Stuck At 60Hz On Launch

12 replies to this topic

#1 Deil

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

Hi All,

I've seen a few topics on this, but the only resolution I've seen has been a workaround (alt+enter twice to switch in and out of full screen mode).

I know the Mechlab is limited to 60fps, but in-game is not. My refresh rate (and framerate) are capped at 60 when I launch the game, and enter a match, despite my monitor being 144hz.

When I alt+enter twice, the game's framerate unlocks and my FPS varies between 75-144.

Is there any fix I can do for this? Or do I need to remember to alt+enter twice each time I play?

Things I have done:

Updated video drivers
Set 144hz in windows Display Settings and Nvidia control panel
Set "Prefer Maximum Refresh Rate" in Nvidia control panel 3d options
Disconnected all monitors but one
Change between DX9/DX11 and different graphical options

One other fix that worked:
Deleting all refresh rates other than 144hz in ToastyX's Custom Resolution utility - I don't want to use this as a permanent fix as 60hz may be required for compatibility with older apps.

It seems MWO is picking 60hz by default if its available. Only if 60hz is made unavailable does it use a different refresh rate at start up, but switching in and out of full screen causes it to re-detect and use the highest refresh rate available.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

Nvidia or AMD?

If Nvidia you need to go into the control panel and select the max refresh rate for your monitor.

#3 Deil

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

This is reflected in my original post but I am using nvidia and have set it both in Windows control panel as well as the Nvidia control panel to 144hz.

All other programs, and windows desktop run at 144hz by default, only MWO displays this startup behavior.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:18 AM

atm the only times I can remember others noting similar issues were due to other programs causing interference, primarily graph/drawing/imaging type programs. Said programs would normally load up with windows or had installed their driver version so that when MWO started it grabbed it to make it run at 60hz. Only the removal of said program and its files/drivers removed the issue.

The first user that I remember would reload a fresh windows and load 1-2 programs at a time, run MWO then continue until MWO was affected. Repeated the process with those specific programs to narrow it down to the one and to confirm it was only that one program.

Disable overlays, Steam, Xbox, TS, recording programs, etc and go from there.

#5 Deil

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for your response. Since this is the only game with this behavior, and the solution is to cut functionality on my PC, I will just leave it as is I suppose, and hope that PGI fixes this bug eventually in a later version. Pressing alt+enter twice each match is annoying, but not game breaking, disabling my overlays and recording program (which I use often, without issues in other titles) is too big of a downgrade to be worth it.

I will submit a bug report to them.

PS. I did try this on my living room PC which has no overlays or capture software of any kind (including steam overlay disabled) and it still has this problem - so I think its just MWO's startup behavior. It re-applies 60hz every time I transition to a match or alt-tab, so clearly something in the game is trying to force 60hz for whatever reason, regardless of what the host PC wants.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:05 AM

It's not MWO so it won't get a patch. Mine did the same thing with a 165hz and a 60hz monitor.

Ensure you are using MWO in as: Full Screen Windowed. Do not run it in any other setting.

Then make sure your high refresh monitor is the primary and then the below:

Under NVidia Control panel
-Display
--Change Resolution
Hard set the refresh rate to 144hz and make sure you hit Apply.

Also check
-Display
--Adjust Desktop Size and position
That the resolution and refresh rates are both as you need them

Also if using GSync
-Display
--Set up G-SYNC
Enable for Windowed / Full Screen

Edited by justcallme A S H, 10 February 2019 - 03:05 AM.

#7 Deil

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

I'm perplexed by your statement that it isn't MWO. Can you explain further?

I have about 30 games installed on my PC, ranging from 10 year old dx9 games up to AAA DX12 games. They all start up in 144hz by default, literally the only one that goes to 60hz is MWO - and it goes back to 60hz every time I load in or alt-tab. That, by my logic, and several other reports of the behavior seems to be 100% a problem with this application?

Ash I am not 100% sure you're reading my posts - as you're recommending I take steps I explicitly state as having done in my original post. I appreciate that you are trying to help but I would prefer the thread not get buried in misinformation and misguided troubleshooting attempts. I do not believe my system settings are at fault as every other 3d program I have tested does not display this behavior of latching to 60hz, but I am happy to try anything I haven't yet.

To recap, and adding as much detail as I can:
  • I have set 144hz in Nvidia and Windows Control Panels, in all areas available to set 144hz in
  • I have gsync enabled for windowed and fullscreen (have also tested with fulllscreen only, and gsync off)
  • I have unplugged all monitors but one (both my 75hz and 144hz screen when connected solo clamp straight to 60hz, but go to their respective 75/144hz after using alt+enter twice to switch to windowed and back to fullscreen)
  • Reinstalled display drivers cleanly with DDU
  • Tried older display drivers
  • Used toastyX's custom resolution utility to reset all monitor settings
  • Used toastyX's custom resolution utility to delete all 60hz options from my monitors (This actually DOES fix the problem, because 60hz isn't available systemwide but is impractical as some apps need 60hz available)
  • Disabled all overlays, including steam
  • Tried DX9 and DX11 renderer
  • Full window does fix the issue (as it is windowed mode and locked to the desktop refresh rate) but is not an acceptable solution as this introduces ~50ms input latency due to the desktop compositor
  • Tested 30+ other games, none of which display this behavior
I hope this helps eliminate some of the possibilities.

#8 Hans Schlaeger

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

I've had exactly this problem today and have spent hours trying different drivers and tearing what's left of my hair out. Turns out the problem is windows 10 game mode screwing stuff up (happened in some of the latest windows updates).

Go to Windows settings and disable everything under the gaming section that you can, ie game bar, captures and game mode. Then go to the steam folder that has the MWOclient.exe in it, it should be some where like "Steam\steamapps\common\MechWarrior Online\Bin64".

Right click on MWOclient.exe, choose properties and then the compatibility tab, in there put a tick in " Disable full-screen optimisations" (That's the most important step really.) That should fix the trouble! There is a registry fix that's supposed to fix it system wide by turning the setting off but I had no luck getting it to work, and it shouldn't matter if it's only effecting MWO for you.

Hope that helps :)

#9 Carlson

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Hans, u da man! That fix does work. 144Hz looks so much better that 60 :)

#10 Anubis Ka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

View PostHans Schlaeger, on 10 March 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

I've had exactly this problem today and have spent hours trying different drivers and tearing what's left of my hair out. Turns out the problem is windows 10 game mode screwing stuff up (happened in some of the latest windows updates).

Go to Windows settings and disable everything under the gaming section that you can, ie game bar, captures and game mode. Then go to the steam folder that has the MWOclient.exe in it, it should be some where like "Steam\steamapps\common\MechWarrior Online\Bin64".

Right click on MWOclient.exe, choose properties and then the compatibility tab, in there put a tick in " Disable full-screen optimisations" (That's the most important step really.) That should fix the trouble! There is a registry fix that's supposed to fix it system wide by turning the setting off but I had no luck getting it to work, and it shouldn't matter if it's only effecting MWO for you.

Hope that helps Posted Image

I just followed ASH comment regarding the full window mode and that resolved the issue.

#11 Glymbol

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:38 AM

I had the same problem on Nvidia graphic card. For me it was fixed by setting the "prefered refresh rate" from default "application controlled" to "maximum performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel.

#12 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:33 PM

View PostHans Schlaeger, on 10 March 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

Hope that helps Posted Image

Dude, thank you. Three years later I run into this problem and your solution still works like a charm!

#13 eXzez de

Rookie

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 03:26 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 February 2019 - 03:05 AM, said:

It's not MWO so it won't get a patch. Mine did the same thing with a 165hz and a 60hz monitor.

Ensure you are using MWO in as: Full Screen Windowed. Do not run it in any other setting.

Then make sure your high refresh monitor is the primary and then the below:

Under NVidia Control panel
-Display
--Change Resolution
Hard set the refresh rate to 144hz and make sure you hit Apply.

Also check
-Display
--Adjust Desktop Size and position
That the resolution and refresh rates are both as you need them

Also if using GSync
-Display
--Set up G-SYNC
Enable for Windowed / Full Screen

Works very well for me. Now all at 144 Hz as it should.

Thx Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users