- - - - -

Nice Little Game Ya Got Here.

19 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Hey just started playing this game today. I've come from games like Planetside and World of Tanks. I figured much of the lessons on positioning and roles would translate, and so far they have. For better or worse I bought the solaris pack right away to get a head start on things. Really like brawling with the Ares

Anyway, I got a lot of positive feedback. The game looks great, despite its age, yet it also captures the feel of those old MW games. I noticed that people actually use comms on quick play and try to work together, which honestly might be the best perk this game has to offer.

Anyway, that's all. Sorry I missed out on this game all these years.

#2 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

Welcome, and above all just have fun.

#3 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Welcome to the game, glad you're having fun. If you're interested, I made a post awhile back for someone who was looking for Solaris pack builds. I get a lot of mileage out of all of these:

Spoiler

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask for help! This forum has its share of whining like anywhere else but people here are still always up to help newbies with questions.

Edited by Mister Maf, 31 January 2019 - 08:19 AM.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

Welcome aboard. Posted Image Have fun and enjoy blowing up robots. Posted Image

If you have questions, just ask. People are usually very helpful on the boards. Especially when you are looking at buying new Mechs. I originally managed to go for every single low performing Mech available. Posted Image When I started listening on the boards to what Mechs and builds work well, things started improving for me a lot. Posted Image A number of things in this game are quite counter intuitive. Posted Image

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 30 January 2019 - 10:53 PM.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:04 AM

Alright, mouse sensitivity in game, move it from left to right between 0.1 to 0.2ish.

On purchased/owned mechs that you can actually make changes to, max armor on torso sections and front load it. lights 2-4 pts on the rear to assaults 4-10 (playstyle dependent). Never skimp on leg armor for lights/mediums while slightly on heavy/assaults, averaging them around 50-60pts. Cockpit... no.. Arms if no weapons you may but for many mechs, think of it as a shield, torso twisting damage, especially humanoid mechs. Also incoming damage to a destroyed arm, torso, leg is reduced to the next section, fyi. Armor values on stock, non-S/C/L etc are based from the tech readouts from the boardgame stock values.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 31 January 2019 - 04:20 AM.

#6 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:19 AM

Ooh, the builds would certainly be helpful Mister Maf. I've been pulling mine from youtube.

I've only used the Ares thus far. I did shift almost all the armor to the front and I maxed it out. The version I'm using has more jumpjets and less heatsinks with the same pulse lasers and srms. The fewer heatsinks does cut into my dps though, so I think I may try dropping to 1 jet for another heatsink, if it fits. Afterall, losing dps in a brawl isn't ideal.

I've sure noticed the structural hp on the ares. It's not uncommon for me to end a match with orange/red and no armor left. I try to shield with the arm, but still need work on timing. Mostly I just sit with the assaults watching the flanks and scaring off lights. When the enemy pushes a flank I can normally hold off multiple targets long enough for help to arrive. I found that the Ares can also spearhead our own flanks well enough. But early match I mostly just twiddle my thumbs.

I'll probably try the urbie next, maybe the maddog. Those are the two mechs I actually purchased the bundle for.

#7 Khazad Boom

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:43 AM

Welcome to MWO. <0.

I've been in a few matches against you. I remember your name and wondered about its origin. "Is he a college athlete or something?" I Hope you continue to enjoy the game and remember that it is just a game. Ignore the occasional salty player.

#8 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:05 AM

View PostKhazad Boom, on 31 January 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO. &lt;0.

I've been in a few matches against you. I remember your name and wondered about its origin. &quot;Is he a college athlete or something?&quot; I Hope you continue to enjoy the game and remember that it is just a game. Ignore the occasional salty player.

Hah! Already made an impact, for better or worse. Early games my positioning was garbo until I just resigned to following the assaults and waiting for an opening.

Its a reference to the startrek redshirts. Those unlucky extras who are only on the screen to die. The later part "4life" is a riff on #21's Henchman4life tattoo. Its the ultimate cannonfodder name. :P

#9 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

Welcome!

#10 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

Some general suggestions on nice chassis: I am highly partial to playing Inner Sphere myself and I usually like to go for Mechs/Builds that can take significant amounts of punishment and/or are flexible in allowing several builds.

So some Mechs you might want to look into: Crab 27 with 2AMS, 2LL and 3ML, Standard 250 Engine. Quite excellent Zombie-ability, good team utility, good surviveability, above average damage. Not a high end Mech, but quite good.

Bushwacker (in general). You can do some very nice builds on them, from Triple RAC2 in the X1 (not a good idea currently, with some exploits going on), Double LBX10 with 2ML in the X2, Missile builds in the other Raccers, etc.

Roughnecks are really tanky and there are plenty of builds that work well for them. I like the 2A while using an AC20. :)

Marauders are often quite powerful. The 3R is one of my most successful Mechs.

Warhammers are quite nice. :) The 6R is my favourite.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostRedshirt4Life, on 31 January 2019 - 05:19 AM, said:

I've sure noticed the structural hp on the ares. It's not uncommon for me to end a match with orange/red and no armor left. I try to shield with the arm, but still need work on timing. Mostly I just sit with the assaults watching the flanks and scaring off lights. When the enemy pushes a flank I can normally hold off multiple targets long enough for help to arrive. I found that the Ares can also spearhead our own flanks well enough. But early match I mostly just twiddle my thumbs.

Its more difficult than it was several years ago because not everyone fires at the same rate due to quirks and the skill tree, but the trick to blocking is to anticipate the attack rather than react to it. If they are aiming specifically for your side torsos, on mechs with lower arm actuators, you can actually use CTRL (if armlock is off) or CTRL + shift (if armlock is on) to move the arms SEPERATELY from the body in order to block. This is much quicker than torso twisting, but the reach of your arms is limited to half your arm-length as the upper arms do not move in this game...a design choice that I wish wasn't the case.

You can also use this trick to engage more than one enemy at a time (most useful as an assault if being swarmed by one or more lights but you can't risk turning away from a serious threat in front of you). If you are swarmed and you fail to address them, you'll find your back to be a quick meal.

Beyond that, focus specific body parts to neutralize them. The head is the fastest but also the hardest point to hit, as it is very specifically a small portion of the cockpit window and many mechs jostle around as they move to make it even more difficult. From there, depending on the build, CT or ST or both STs may make the kill. (If you blow an ST and they shut down, they'll die if you get the other ST). There's also both legs, which is often the easiest method if the threat is particularly fast, and downing a single leg can get you the chance to get away that you need in an emergency as a medium or light or as a faster heavy.

Far as watching the front line and dealing with flanks, this is something I usually do when using a second line mech. For some reason the front line is rarely ever situationally aware as they are often so focused on what's in front of them they often completely miss what is going on...in front of them as it moves to their side and behind. You'd think they would at least notice what was in front of them when a flank begins, but I digress... that's when the big payouts come my way as engaging enemies that flank piecemeal is a lot easier to do than engaging 8 to 12 enemies at once on a front line. Usually when I am out of ammo for both long and short range (a mech I'm specifically thinking of has no energy weapons available to it), I use my remaining excessive armor of the chassis to soak up fire while the others finish the job.

Enjoy.
(I'm sure you've noticed, but Urbie has 360 degree torso twist. If you ever get confused and need to go in the direction you are looking, hit F. There's another key very close by to hit to have the torso face where your legs are, I want to say G but I'm not certain as I almost never use it as Urbie isn't my mainstay).
(A quick trip about heat, if you're running more than one button, whether its 2 or 3 for firing, map the lowest heat weaons to one of the buttons and when you get too hot, just use that button til you cool enough to safely use the hot ones).
(If you ever use machine guns, treat them like lasers; ignore the particle effect. They are hit-scan in mechanic, so many complain about how weak MGs are due to not realizing this as they try to lead the MGs.)

Edited by Koniving, 31 January 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#12 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

I absolutely need work on targeting specific parts. That's my next goal. I can get damage in, but I really think I'm wasting the potential of my artemis SRMS and pulses because I'm more concerned about scoring a hit then I am where I am scoring a hit.

My other focus is going to be on consumable use. They seem cost-efficient. I gotta get used to using them. I'm bringing 2 artillery strikes and a cool shot.

I couldn't fit another heatsink into the ares. I could go 2 jets for AMS or stick with 4 jets. I think the 4 jets so I can take poptart SRM vollys. I was having trouble doing that with 2.

I didn't really come asking for advice, but I got it and I appreciate it. I've been looking at the suggested builds for ideas quite a lot.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

If you use two strikes that's on average half to a third of the winnings of a typical player without any perks such as premium time and hero Mechs...and certainly more than some players get when losing. Its okay to have them to deploy on occasion but reliance on them is a good way to turn a reasonably fun experience into a grind. Use when you think the benefits are gonna far outdo the cost.

Despite owning it I haven't fielded Ares yet so I haven't got any suggestions on it for you.

If you see plenty of lrm rain...ams is worth it. Or if you see missiles in general. It attacks all forms of missiles to reduce their overall damage to you.

#14 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

View PostRedshirt4Life, on 31 January 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

My other focus is going to be on consumable use. They seem cost-efficient. I gotta get used to using them. I'm bringing 2 artillery strikes and a cool shot.

I'd suggest trying to avoid using consumables until you've amassed a nest egg of c-bills and have a decent inventory of weapons and engines. Two arty strikes and a cool shot is 120,000 c-bills. Over the course of 25 matches that's 3 million c-bills spent.

Consumables can be nice in a pinch, but try not to rely on them. For me I'll usually just equip one cool shot if the build isn't really cold or an arty strike or UAV if it is.

For your Ares, to start I'd suggest something like this build (or its AMS variant if you're running into a lot of LRMs). It's a simple MRM30 and 4 medium lasers build - it's a cool build and quick enough to allow repositioning during the match. You can also opt for ERMLs over MLs, but it turns it more into a 300 to 500m poking mech that will suffer if pressed. If you can't afford a 280LFE engine, this build drops a couple heatsinks to use the stock engine. It's still cool enough (though you'll be leaning more on the MRMs when you're hot, and it's probably too hot to use ERMLs instead of MLs) and is a workable build while you save up for the LFE engine.

After you've skilled up your Ares you can start looking at more specialized builds for it like an MRM60 build or an SRM brawler, but an MRM30 and MLs should be a nice all-around build that won't be caught out too badly whether you drop in Solaris City or polar Highlands.

#15 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:02 AM

Yeah I won't just throw them around all willy nilly, but it seems like they can pay for themselves if used appropriately.

Trying to squeeze everything I can out of the ARES. I upped the engine to a 300 to make it faster and allow another heatsink slot. 4 pulses was too hot, so I dropped 2 for ER mediums that allow some poking. Missile ammo is a bit short but its helped by the 2 ammo perks.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...a5c2525f6c21bb1

#16 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:34 AM

Personally, I would probably change the build to this:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...5c2ede34bdb34ad

Better match up of range, some added utility with the AMS, some more missile Ammo, better heat.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostRedshirt4Life, on 02 February 2019 - 06:02 AM, said:

Yeah I won't just throw them around all willy nilly, but it seems like they can pay for themselves if used appropriately.

Trying to squeeze everything I can out of the ARES. I upped the engine to a 300 to make it faster and allow another heatsink slot. 4 pulses was too hot, so I dropped 2 for ER mediums that allow some poking. Missile ammo is a bit short but its helped by the 2 ammo perks.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...a5c2525f6c21bb1

Not bad, 3 button setup? If not, then would stick with the lasers being one type. I know a setup like this will run colder in the long run, but you should get the most benefit of any risk you make in being shot back. Ares, 55 tons... that's... Ah the Griffin one. On paper it looks better than Sparky in terms of hardpoints.

If it works, it works. Pulse lasers good against the light pests, ER ML for a bit of ranged slapping, and the SRMs for the heavy hit.

Darakor's revision gives you some anti-missile protection against LRMs, SRMs, SSRMs (its noteworthy that defense against these is kinda poor), MRMs, ATMs, and NARC missile beacons if fired from far enough away, as well as simplifying the controls to just 2 firing buttons.

Personally, in either case I'd shift some head armor (hardly anyone has reliable enough aim to go for the headshot in the tier 5-3 range) into leg armor, especially since you have jumpjets. This will give you a little more leeway on rough landings.

#18 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

Hello, and welcome. You'll be glad to hear that while there aren't an overwhelming number of people playing anymore, the game itself is pretty complete at this point. In my opinion the number of mechs with competitive builds has diversified greatly, whereas 4 years ago the competitive builds and mechs could be counted on one hand.

Once you get comfortable in the mech I'd recommend consciously training yourself to follow OZhomers guide, as there are a number of highly useful tidbits regarding aiming, how to take advantage of teammates, etc.

You can find that here: https://mwomercs.com...extraordinaire/

Good luck, see you out there.

#19 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:37 PM

Thanks VigorousApathy. I checked the guide out. I went back to the old engine and went for vertical mobility. I did have to take more ammo now that I'm doing a bit better.

This Ares fellas. Its one hot mech. Now that I have the full armor/structure skills unlocked it can just tank all day. I'm blown away by what I can put it through. MRMs aren't necessary because of the range perks IMO. Its better to just poptart out a quick volley up to their appreciable 330m range. The rockets are mounted so high I can normally pop them off safely as the enemy approaches.

Almost, almost had a 1k damage game. Ended the match fully cored and 2 pulses left still unloading in the back of the last assault. Sadly 23 damage away from that achievement. But hey, I'm havin a good time.

For reference this is what I'm rocking now.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...89d7d60842e8a40

Edited by Redshirt4Life, 03 February 2019 - 08:43 PM.

#20 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

If you are impressed with the surviveability of the Arrow, you really need to try out the Crab. :)

The chassis is quite tanky and there are several (most of them laser vomit) that will do quite well on the battlefield. Crab 27 for utility (2 AMS), Crab 27SL for Jump Jets, Crab 27B for more damage and less utility, etc...

Take a look, you might enjoy it. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users