Once You Start Losing...you Just Can't Stop

104 replies to this topic

#21 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:55 PM

lol I laugh so hard when i look at my stats, it starts in 2016.. that was literally the worst year of this game ever

it was the first year of the tournament *which i propitiated in (basically it started right after that first torny ) which almost everyone said simultaneously "i quit"

I mean if you use me as a example of why jarls list doesn't mean ****.. We made it in pretty far in to the tournament which in its self reflect how Fk'n broken jarls is...

says i played 6 rounds in 2016 (*6 in 8 and 6 in 9) obviously that doesn't reflect the truth

Idk i think we are missing the point,

Bottem line is this..

PGI made a math mistake in like 2012, and the whole group pointed it out.. and they did what they do still..

they went on there own path,

#22 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

View Posttutzdes, on 02 February 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

You know that Jarl's shows QP stats, not FW, right? Or you don't?

Nah, that dude's a lost cause. Just trolling around.

#23 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

trolling around.. never seen you.. never even played a round with you.. and im trolling around?

This is why in almost 7 years ive posted 658 times...

you guys can keep this mess

#24 Orville Righteous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 127 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Loodacris, just concentrate on your own performance. Don't concentrate on wins and losses. There will be games where you play well and you're still going to lose. Not much you can do about it. After a match, I kind of try to review my own performance (how was my positioning, did I have potato aim, did I have a crappy build, etc.) and just forget if it was a win or loss.

Sometimes, I'm actually more proud of my performance in a loss than a win truthfully. If my team wins but I don't do much, I don't feel good about it.

Edited by Orville Righteous, 02 February 2019 - 03:41 PM.

#25 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 02 February 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

see THIS is the thing that all the elite Dh's don't want to talk about.. On stats

What? That people with WLRs < 1 lose more matches than they win? Not really clear what you're referring to.

on stats is it as simple as.. well if your KDR is positive, and your wins is positive.. then that means your a "good player"

A bit more nuanced than this, but if your WLR is < 1 over a significant amount of matches then it does mean you probably aren't a "good player"

stats are so ******* broken in this game,

Citation needed

time spent should mean more then it does, and it should filter down accordingly

So you want RPG levels? Time is irrelevant to whether or not a player is good or bad. I've seen players with many, many times the amount of matches I have and they still weren't good players. Having spent a lot of time doesn't mean you're good at the game. Getting good results shows that you're good at the game.

There are hundreds of factors that go in to a rounds success, AND by PGI's standard winning is all that matters,

And over thousands of rounds these factors average out and the one factor that is consistent between all those matches is *ding ding ding* the player.

lol i guess being filthy rich in this game is winning? Or is it just getting a kill? Or maybe winning means getting 8 kills... But at the end of the day.. i dont think any of that is winning,

Winning is literally defined as winning a match. You can have your own personal definition of winning if you want, but that's irrelevant to the discussion of being good.

then when you call them out they bring jarls list LOL which i have the most fun poke at people with..

I think you mean when you get called out for making claims that the evidence doesn't back up. Are you mad that people are literally using data to refute your unfounded and anecdotal arguments?

THAT S h i t literally started when this game started its turn for the worse, i laugh at that every time.. jarls list is a joke

Coincidentally, most of the people that decry the Jarl's list the hardest are also the ones who have bad stats on it.

YES... the Fw guys have better stats.. because they stack the math in there favor and the statistical result is explained:
theoretically on paper they are better pilots, BUT as all of us QP players damn well know they suck.. they cant handle the Real world mechwarrior..

As previously mentioned, FP stats aren't rolled into the Jarl's list stats. If you don't understand how the stats work why should we trust that you understand how the game works?

Also, if I recall correctly, the last time you got called out and challenged to a duel to prove that you could back up your claims, you ended up losing pretty handedly: https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6206760
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6206769

they often come to qp and then proceed to tell us how much we suck from the grave.. Its quite typical, I cant understand why but i view it as they have just spent there entire time here exploiting pgi's bad math (which im quick to point out all the time)

Are you claiming that you have bad stats just because PGI messed up the math? I (and others) have correlated stats with personal tracking before and it seemed like it did the math right for my stats.

*but being as half of you that are reading this.. where never around b4 jarls list .. just disregard this post and say something derogatory as normal

Well since I got here a good two years before you (~1.5 of gameplay) I guess that means you can't disregard my opinion so easily.

View PostBurning2nd, on 02 February 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

jarls stats are missing what 3 or 4 years of the game?

the game before it became what it is now..

WHICH is not what it was

sorry missing the first 4 years of this game

Jarl's list has nearly three years of stats at this point, so yes, it's a pretty good representation of your contributions in the current game. It doesn't matter if you were good before the list (something I doubt) because that was over 3 years ago and we are playing a different game now. Having been good at something doesn't mean you are good at something currently.

View PostBurning2nd, on 02 February 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

trolling around.. never seen you.. never even played a round with you.. and im trolling around?

This is why in almost 7 years ive posted 658 times...

you guys can keep this mess

Hmm, let's look at the evidence to back up your claim here:

View PostBurning2nd, on 04 January 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

so now that we have deviated from our primary objective Of "non talking" elites

anyone care to que up on why comms Y its is so important

i can troll you guys for days.. Its so easy...

At the end of the day Burning, you're loud, you've been demonstrably wrong in multiple claims, proven not to be a great pilot in both stats and 1v1's, and claimed that you were just trolling. You can't have it both ways, either your a troll, you're just not very good at the game, or both.

#26 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

Well, if it's both - isn't that both ways? =)

#27 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 02 February 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

Well, if it's both - isn't that both ways? =)

Both in the sense that can't both be trolling and not be a troll he has to decide what he wants to claim. Admittedly, not clearly conveyed that sentence (I did consider clarifying it before I posted, but didn't bother).

More on topic. Losing streaks will occasionally happen, the best way to mitigate them is by being good enough to cause more wins. You can't win every match, but you can win a lot more if you're really good.

What the OP is probably seeing is that with the jump to T3 the match maker is now putting them with higher level players and expecting them to carry more weight, that jump is going to cause more losses unless they improve to contribute more.

Another situation that happens is that players start losing and get frustrated or try harder in the wrong ways and actually cause themselves to lose more. While a lot of matches may look like you couldn't have done anything you'd be surprised at what a difference a good player or two can make in setting the tone and pace of a match.

#28 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:24 PM

I know, I know! Just poking you a bit. And of course you're absolutely right: it's his outdated tactical reflexes that are probably to blame, as well as frustration. Frustration can motivate people, but it's also clinically proven to shut down higher brain functions. So you might get faster reflexes, but your brain isn't handling complex problems so well any more.

#29 UnkerZ

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

A winning and losing streak is normal. But a winning and losing streak with zero.. (okay maybe 50 dmg) potatoes after another, after another is the mffing fff up ff ff shiet.. To the point I have to load up ultra cheesy insta kill builds to balance my win ratios in the average should speak something. MRM120 stalker, 100alpha dakka wolf, 118 alpha MCII (2 alphas,1 kill, and 1 beer break - at least you will get 1 kill minimum if you go yolo), MRM100 orion - stuff like that..

I had matches I had to kill more than half of the enemy team (KMDDs) and still lose only to find 6 zero damage potatoes on my team.

#30 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:28 AM

View PostXiphias, on 02 February 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

At the end of the day Burning, you're loud, you've been demonstrably wrong in multiple claims, proven not to be a great pilot in both stats and 1v1's, and claimed that you were just trolling. You can't have it both ways, either your a troll, you're just not very good at the game, or both.

Well then by your own admission your wrong, because i have a positive win lost ratio *correct me if i didnt get what your saying.. But your saying thats what makes a good pilot...

and in that thread.. SINCE you decided to jump in on the end of the conversation.. I told them strait up i wasnt going to play.. right as they said here we going streaming on twitch like a tool ( i mean i literally said nope) i blew his leg off.. stood in front of him and let him kill me with a arty strike... You got here 2 years b4 me?

so what you where playing 2 years b4 the game was created?

#31 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:33 AM

I wish people would stop celebrating their personal enmities within threads that have nothing to do with that.

This thread is for complaining about the MM, venting about your loss streaks and commiserating about the annoying team members that are not up to your standard... ;)

So to get back to the topic: I am still having a lousy weekend and a horrible w/l ratio, because my teams keep falling apart on me. By now, I *am* worried. Because I am so pissed off, that I really need to take a break... When I would rather be playing...

#32 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 03 February 2019 - 01:28 AM, said:

Well then by your own admission your wrong, because i have a positive win lost ratio *correct me if i didnt get what your saying.. But your saying thats what makes a good pilot...

What I said was this:

View PostXiphias, on 02 February 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

A bit more nuanced than this, but if your WLR is < 1 over a significant amount of matches then it does mean you probably aren't a "good player"

In more plain terms if your WRL is less than 1 it means you are bad, full stop. If your WLR is 1 or slightly above it, you are at best, average.

Definitions of "good" vary, but if you want my personal checklist the rough rule of thumb I use is > 90% (maybe 85%) Jarl's, >300 AMS, > 2 KDR, and WLR > 1.5 before I start considering a player "good". Between the average (near 1 WLR) and the good there are varying levels of "decent".

Your overall WLR is < 1, and your recent stats are either slightly below or slightly above 1. That's at best average. When combined with a KDR < 1 and an AMS of ~210 I would consider you bad, but not terrible.

and in that thread.. SINCE you decided to jump in on the end of the conversation.. I told them strait up i wasnt going to play.. right as they said here we going streaming on twitch like a tool ( i mean i literally said nope) i blew his leg off.. stood in front of him and let him kill me with a arty strike...

Did you win any of the duels? Did you not want it streamed because you didn't want the evidence to be public. I'll admit I didn't watch the stream as it happened, but as far as I can tell you lost all your matches. The one I did see the clip from doesn't really help: https://livestream.c...wanCoolStoryBob

You got here 2 years b4 me?

so what you where playing 2 years b4 the game was created?

You can validate half of this yourself, just look at the forums profile.

Burning2nd December 4th 2013
Xiphias December 15th 2011

So yes, I was here two years before you (as you said you've only had one name). In terms of game-play I started playing closed beta in I believe June/July 2012 (before founders packs, back when frozen and forest were the only maps).

While the game officially launched in September 2013, I had been playing for ~1.5 years by the time December 2013 rolled around. Also, before you say it was beta so it doesn't count, the core game was the same as it is now, just the balance was different (like how balance today is different from three years ago).

All that said, Darakor is right. This is getting entirely off topic and derailing the actual point of the thread. I won't be posting on this subject in here again. Have a nice day.

#33 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:05 AM

Forum profile doesn't necessarily indicate when you started playing, BTW. I created my account on 14 February 2014, but didn't start posting on the forms until the displayed "Member Since" date.

#34 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

View PostLoodacris, on 02 February 2019 - 09:56 AM, said:

There has to be something wrong with the MM...I've been on a losing streak the past few days and it's just plain old killing my desire to play. Once I moved up to tier 3 it just has been a never ending snowball of defeat after defeat.

Suppose it's a good thing...there are a few other projects i've been putting off for a while.

I have felt the same what this weekend. All last week, I had a reason win/loss rate going on but since Friday, oh my god the pain. I bet I don't have a 20% win rate over about 30-40 matches since Friday and it just saps all desire to play when that happens.

Now honestly I don't have a clue why this occurs, maybe it is just bad luck. However, it does often feel like the MM is out to get you. Also it is perfectly possible that the MM is indeed programmed to keep you in check so you don't win too often. I know back when I played WoT, I noticed a mathematical trend over a 3 year period of playing. I would tend to win about 60-65% of all my matches right up to the point I hit a 54% win rate. The minute I hit 54% though, I went into a free fall losing streak where I would lose 10-15 matches in a row, right to the point I hit about a 52% win rate. Then the process would repeat. Of course the more I played, the more matches it would take me to get to 54% win rate however, the bad part was that it would also take more matches correct down to 52% which meant my losing streaks got nasty. I think by the time I finally left I was seeing 40+ game losing streaks. This pattern repeated itself something like 5-6 times over 3 years.

Honestly I wouldn't have noticed without all the XVM add ones and third party tracking but one rule of thumb is that repeating patterns shouldn't exist in a random environment where each team has a 50% chance to win the battle. Also you can't even say it was due to my skill or lack there off because why would I have a 60% win rate for maybe 2-3 months then all of a sudden lose 20-40 matches in a row every time I reached 54% win rate? If I can sustain 60% for 2-3 months, I should be sustain it for 2-3 years or so you would think.

So I am not sure what is going one with the MWO MM but I can't help be suspicious ever since WoT. Then again, I have never detected a pattern in MWO so it probably is just bad luck.

Edited by Angel of Annihilation, 03 February 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#35 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:42 PM

pfft the usual "pros" saying "git gud", whatever...

I am for sure as hell above the average and I totally agree, MM is totally ******, and yeah those losing streaks are real, you are not imagining things. Streaks of incompetent uncarriable teams, no matter how good you are.

#36 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 03 February 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

I am for sure as hell above the average and I totally agree, MM is totally ******, and yeah those losing streaks are real, you are not imagining things. Streaks of incompetent uncarriable teams, no matter how good you are.

Yep. Despite what some people want to believe, your only 1 out of 12 players on your team. There is only so much you can do when your team just isn't working well together. Also you can have 12 superstar players on your team but if they can't get it together and work together and the other team can, then the team sucks and I do mean team, I, you me, everyone.

#37 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:37 PM

Now that we have put our digital {Richard Cameron} back in our pants we can continue, Since Xip was here a few months b4 me He should know exactly what im talking about (* you where correct, not the first account, as we didnt have name changes)

So anyway back to the point

"once you start loosing you cant stop"

that kind of dips in to the bad math that im always talking about. But its also not 100% true

although mathematical speaking the further you go the worse your odds get, Its not to say that its not possible to come back "magic round" when a single light slaughters the last 6 players, Or some wiz kid hip shot of a guass rifle catches the last guy in the cockpit from across the map.. It happens

#38 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:31 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 03 February 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

As I said in my post above, losing streaks absolutely do happen. That said, there is nothing you can do about the matchmaker. The only way to mitigate losing streaks is to try to play better (or join a team). So, if you want to have fewer losing streaks you should try to play better. It's less a matter of "git gud" and more of "it's the only thing you can control". No point in focusing on things you can't control, better to look at improving yourself.

The fact that the OP just moved up a tier does make it likely that the increased number of losses is related to being matches against better players (or with worse players). I don't buy the tinfoil hat conspiracies that MM is secretly trying to force players into losing streaks if they win too much, it's just statistically likely to happen after a while.

#39 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:04 PM

View PostKoniving, on 02 February 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

and while I haven't listened to any in 2018, I welcome anyone whom has listened to them to tell me if it has been mentioned in 2018.

Don't pretend you don't know what the current state of affairs is. The "I haven't listened" argument is laughable - You're only stating that to try and deflect from your previously incorrect statements not 4-5 days ago.

The whole 2018 and PSR adjustment was covered in ->THIS POST<- and you are well aware of it.

That post also proved you, the chief misinformation spreader of the forums, to be wrong and of course I accomapnied the facts and you disappeared from the convo because there was no way MS Paint was going to save you.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 03 February 2019 - 10:08 PM.

#40 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 03 February 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yep. Despite what some people want to believe, your only 1 out of 12 players on your team. There is only so much you can do when your team just isn't working well together. Also you can have 12 superstar players on your team but if they can't get it together and work together and the other team can, then the team sucks and I do mean team, I, you me, everyone.

I play SoloQ 90-95% of my matches each season. My WLR is always over 2.0 on a global level and often higher. That's a hell of a lot more winning than losing.

1 player in 12 can and does have THAT much impact on a single game despite what the uneducated around here claim. More likely because they cannot accomplish this themselves. I will concede it is not always possible to carry but it is more common to do so than than it is to not.

Either that or it is some great conspiracy and the MM is just matching good players on the same team all the time Posted Image

And for the last LOL... Burning in here trying to talk up his game again. I guess the burn from a few months back has healed and ready for more?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users