Can Someone Please Tell Me The Strengths Of The Direwolf?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

I am wondering, whenever I see a Direwolf show up in matches on my side, I kinda groan. It feels that Direwolves are not particularly good, judging from the stats of the people that play them. They are consistently at the bottom in regards to performance when I the end score pops up.

And yet I see a lot of them around, recently. A lot more than I used to. And I am wondering why. They seem like they are outclassed by a lot of mechs, but there has to be some reason why people enjoy playing them. Anybody have some info for me on this? What makes people pick the mech? What can it do that others cannot? What is the draw of the mech?

#2 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 03 February 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

And yet I see a lot of them around, recently. A lot more than I used to. And I am wondering why.

Invasion Mech Event. That's why.

Whale is a VERY good stationary area denial turret if supported. As the area control concept and power locations' defence is too hard to utilize with QP teams, the mech can't really play to its strengths most of the time. So, yes, it is not good for QP (most of the time). In addition to that it is an old mech and power creep is thing. If you can get slightly worse firepower on the chassis which can move 20 kph faster, then why the hell not? Otherwise, Whale is the best turret in the game.

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

Dakka.

The DWF runs dakka very well with LB2X or UAC2, if your positioning is good and your teammates back you up- but you need the hero pods to do 8x2 spam. DWF-UV is the only 'Mech that can run 8x2 right now. If you don't have the UV, you can do 6xLB5X (since AC5 or UAC5 trips ghost heat past three), 2xLB10+4xLB2X, or 2xUAC10+4xUAC2... which are all inferior to 8x2, but still quite powerful. There really isn't any other build type it does better than another 'Mech could, though, and it's only because of hardpoint count and the lack of ghost heat limits on AC2s and LB5X. Literally any other Clantech build- Gaussvomit, mixed UAC10+UAC5, AC+ERPPC, brawl, LRM/ATM spam, laservomit, whatever- would be better run on something else that's faster, or has higher mounts, or better hitboxes, or all of the above. The Whale has a very, very limited niche now.

But... within that one niche, with good support and good positioning? You can melt people. It craps damage all over the place given half a chance to.

#4 Psykmoe

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:49 AM

I've had games that I gave up as lost turn around when a Dakkawhale finally lumbers into a good firing position and just wipes out every crippled enemy that tries to come at it, the damage output is astounding.

But the long list of limitations the Whale puts up with means that it's extremely easy to play poorly. Watch out for those who struggle to crack three digits worth of damage dealt.

Edited by Psykmoe, 04 February 2019 - 04:49 AM.

#5 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:29 AM

Sheet load of weapons pod space.

If your aims as guid as your positioning it can take on and kill several mechs, Good for chokepoints

Not best against lights, but if you can hit them once or twice their dead or nuetured

Handles like at container ship, goota use your legs and torso to twist fastest.

Many don't do that, perhaps not for beginner

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 04 February 2019 - 05:31 AM.

#6 R E X I OS

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:29 AM

It has more weakness then strengths in my opinion.
Best used for defence missions in FP.

I would prefer using a MADCATII-B with UAC10s,UAC5s , Its more versatile then the dire.

#7 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:26 AM

Its because they gots a stakka dat dakka.

Positioned correctly they dominate faces. Caught alone before they can set up or out on their way to their spot they're pretty easy pickins if you gang up on them.

#8 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:41 AM

the one and ONLY thing teh direcow has going for it is the 8 AC/UAC2 build which is something no other mech can field. Otherwise, its very slow, has the agility of a dead pig, and its hitboxes/hardpoints are trash compared to its closest competitor in teh dakka field, the MCII-B. It used to have the 2 UAC10+3UAC5 build which is a bit stronger then teh MCII's 2x10+2x5, but the hitboxes and agility boost of the latter makes it better even with 1 less UAC5 at least in pugs. Sometimes you may see one in FP, but its exclusively used as a turret on base defense (where it actually doesnt do too badly, but even then id rather take a night gyr as a turret if i had to as its smaller, JJs, and has almost as much damage output at extreme ranges with 6 AC2s.

#9 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:01 AM

ALL THE DAKKA!!!! It's the only mech in the game that can mount 6 or more ballistics that actually outputs damage to wreck faces

A good DWF pilot or a good team knows how to use the DWF. It's a weapons platform, not a tank.

Think of it as an aircraft carrier. It carries all the firepower of the fleet, but you wouldn't put it on the frontlines. Instead you run screens around it, take out things that threaten it, and let it do its job.

At lower tiers, people don't really know what to do with it. If you try to assault with it, you get vapourised immediately due to the hitboxes. It should be place somewhere between your frontline assaults, and 2nd line damage dealers. Leave the assaulting to the actual assaults, but do rotate in to do armour sharing mid to late game.

Frontline assault mechs are those with great arm and side torso hitboxes, and do great FLD builds, allowing them to use the arms, then side torso so soak up the damage, while unloading their firepower in snap shots. Atlas, Charger, Banshee are great frontliners. Watch what they are engaging, and vapourise their targets

#10 Ginsanchou

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

slight necro? Maybe

I use 5uac's rounded out with lasers on chainfire and just spam click to avoid the increased heat at a similar dps rate. IT is as people say, this mech is not suited for running out first and taking all the aggro... you have to run with your team in order to be effective. 1v1, as long as you get the drop on someone you will come out on top provided you can effectively focus on the part you are trying to destroy.

You will end up in Charlie lance 9/10 . Convince your lance to follow you and not back down from a push. 4 heavy/assaults turning a corner focused on one target means nearly anything you could choose to target will simply melt from sheer firepower even if outnumbered. Take advantage of your r key and calling out your focus target.

Lastly, do not play scared; play smart. Your status as a big slow metalsack will often make people focus you in a fight, meaning you /can/ lead a push in dire(eyyyy) situations provided your team does not chicken out leaving you to die. Similarly, you need to know if your team will not follow you in before you turn that corner or crest that hill. The willingness of your team to be aggressive will dictate whether you should be hanging back in a firing line or leading the charge.

#11 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:48 PM

The Dire Wolf is good at carrying lots of firepower. It's not tough or maneuverable, but if you know how to stay with the team and position yourself to attack from defensible positions and not expose yourself, you can wreck face. Kind of a more advanced mech to pilot, I think. Very vulnerable.
(I have an Ultraviolet with 8 AC2's.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users