10 replies to this topic

#1 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

Hi all,

Pretty new player here, looking for some advice on building towards drop decks. I'm pre-ordering MW5 and so will have the 20k to spend, and want to make some better, more informed decisions than my first 6 mechs. I want to head towards an IS drop deck first, then Clan I think.

Current roster is DWF-B, AS7-K, TDR-5SS, HBK-4P, IFR-D, and KFX-C. I enjoy long range laser peeking, but definitely enjoy skirmishing with the IFR-D and KFX-C. I really enjoy having ECM, but I've seen posts where it should be left out in favor of more weapons for FP, and others that say it's a necessity.

I've read through many of the posts here, and elsewhere, but I'm having a hard time sifting through it all to make some decisions on. I'd also like to pick a couple heroes that will have some crossover into FP for farming cbills. I'm eager to hear your suggestions....thanks!

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

Realistically none of those mechs are any good.

Go read THIS.

And check out this site for mech/builds: https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:09 PM

Save your MCs for the actual premium stuffs, like an actual set of dropdecks, heroes or mechbays.

You might want to pick-up Black-Widow (Warhammer Hero) for generic dakka builds, IV Four (Quickdraw Hero) for 2x MRM30, Seipnir (Cyclops Hero) for 4x UAC5 or 2x HGR platform.

For clans, you can buy Purifier for 4x energy highmounts, if you ever feel the need of bringing a light to make room for heavier builds but have a decent 30-ton laserboat. You could also buy Piranha Cipher for a 20-ton monster, if you're interested in saving weight like if you want to bring a 100-tonner.

If you like a mobile laser-vomit build, you could buy a Redline and boat the torso with lasers.

Anyways, I'm not really familiar with a lot other heroes. As for other variants that could be bought with CBills, you really should just grind the CBills than pay MC.

20K MC isn't also a lot if you're planning on buying several heroes all at once, you should probably wait for incoming sales. UV at 100 tons is around 9K already.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 03 February 2019 - 08:13 PM.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

Make sure to buy Heroes with your limited MC, they come with a +30% bonus to cbill earnings. If you lean clan side, I suggest the Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar, Night gyr, and Huntsman heroes. You can use them on every FP map and mode and enjoy +30% to earnings.

If you're looking for a discount, wait on the purchase as mechs go on sale for ~50% off every 2-4 weeks.

#5 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the replies all!

I just knew Ash was going to show up and tell me my mechs are garbage hahah. I did read through that thread, lots of great info but I was hoping to consolidate a little in light of my situation and preferences.

My plan is to keep an eye out for sales, as you guys suggested....just wanting to get some ideas on where to build. Looks like I'm essentially starting from scratch, which is what I gleaned from Ash's thread as well.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

Read the Grimmechs site too.

Another thing is denAir tier list spreadsheet HERE

Make sure you click the Faction Play tab along the bottom

#7 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:40 AM

Pick side and focus on those mechs first. Down side is, most active players and units are mostly mercs, so on long run you might need mechs from both sides.

Wait sales, -30 to 50%.

Grind a lot on QP matches for cbills, because making dropdeck with 20K MC is not going to happen.

And for a low XP player, FW is hard school to go through, unless you get lucky and find a team that suits you.

#8 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:47 AM

Thanks everyone...reviewing those links now, Ash. I did see that spreadsheet, but didn't see the link for faction play...I'll take a closer look.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

As Smoke said - Focus one side.

You really need 8 fully skilled mechs before doing FP. 4 Brawl to skirmish and 4 long range. If you don't then FP is just going to be an overall painful experience for you and your fellow 11 players.

#10 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

From reviewing denAir's tier list and Grimmech's, it seems to me if I'm going to be watching for mechs that go on sale, I should start with a Clan drop deck. It seems like there are more viable mechs, and it might be easier to put together the 2 decks you're talking about. Then from there, start working on the 2 IS decks to go merc. Unfortunately, the only mech I have that even made the lists is the HBK-4P....so looks like I'm 8 fully skilled mechs away from the Clan decks.

I guess the high entry barrier is a function of the low population overall. I suppose if we had many more active players, you wouldn't be going against so many fully formed decks. It's too bad, kind of a catch 22.

#11 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

So, from the current sale I grabbed a Virago to start with for grinding c-bills & eventual faction play...seemed a no brainer, as I'm really enjoying the laser build on the HBK-4P. I think I'll probably get the MLX-G, and GHR-5H for a future IS deck. I'm thinking a second HBR to work towards the clan deck. Thoughts?

Or I might just buy all Ice Ferrets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users