Surprised By The Adder (Plus Some Kit Fox Talk)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:16 PM

I just ran three matches in the Adder 'trial' mech to earn the Invasion eventobjective, and holy cow, that was a surprisingly bada$$ little mech. I was surprised by how nimble and effective it was brawling and peeking through cover with those 5 ERML's. Might have to get one.

Posted Image

Edited by renzor51, 14 March 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#2 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

View Postrenzor51, on 03 February 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

I just ran three matches in the Adder 'trial' mech to earn the Invasion eventobjective, and holy cow, that was a surprisingly bada$$ little mech. I was surprised by how nimble and effective it was brawling and peeking through cover with those 5 ERML's. Might have to get one.

I'm not here to discourage you, but still make sure to try running 6xERML + ECM (KFX-C right arm) + JJs(one KFX-S leg) Kit Fox Purifier (sadly you need hero STs for proper laser setup) in testing grounds first. Also you may check out 6xERML + ECM Arctic Cheetah too.

Thing is, Adder has solid quirks, but no access to ECM or JJs. Pure laser builds can be run on mechs that have access to both.

#3 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:28 PM

View Posttutzdes, on 04 February 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

I'm not here to discourage you, but still make sure to try running 6xERML + ECM (KFX-C right arm) + JJs(one KFX-S leg) Kit Fox Purifier (sadly you need hero STs for proper laser setup) in testing grounds first. Also you may check out 6xERML + ECM Arctic Cheetah too.

Thing is, Adder has solid quirks, but no access to ECM or JJs. Pure laser builds can be run on mechs that have access to both.

Been a while since I posted this initially, but looking at your post again. I've been considering a Purifier and running an ERML and 3AMS build lately, but I haven't been able to determine: does having such an awesome AMS setup earn C-Bills? Seems like being such a great support mech might be a good c-bill grinder, but maybe missiles shot down don't translate to cash?

#4 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:58 PM

View Postrenzor51, on 14 March 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

Been a while since I posted this initially, but looking at your post again. I've been considering a Purifier and running an ERML and 3AMS build lately, but I haven't been able to determine: does having such an awesome AMS setup earn C-Bills? Seems like being such a great support mech might be a good c-bill grinder, but maybe missiles shot down don't translate to cash?

I don't think you get c-bills for shooting down missiles, but you do get match score increases. Plus in games where you shoot down hundreds of missiles you have to remember those missiles could have done one to three damage each to your team - shooting them down may have turned a loss into a win. A triple AMS Kit Fox can really take the teeth out of an enemy ATM based loadout.

I like the Purifier as an annoying hill peeking support mech and the Kit Fox makes for a nice light mech LRM boat. In one of the previous 'earn a 500 match score game' challenges I did it in my first drop with an LRM Kit Fox.

#5 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:32 AM

To the AMS discussion:

AMS only generates match score and c-bills if you shoot down missiles not aimed at you. You'll get rewarded to help your team, not saving your own ***. Posted Image

The Adder and the Kit Fox are fire support choices, and pretty good ones at that. They're not fast enough to squirrel around and not quite tough enough to stand on their own, but can gather a suprising amount of damage if you just hang around your teams firing line where poor man's ECM kicks in (getting ignored for a more fearsome target).

I prefer the KFX over the ADR, but that may be just because I didn't spend the same amount of time in the snake than I did in the canine. I feel the KFX chassis offers a bit more variety (JJs, ECM, AMS). The Adder on the other hand is less starved of critical slots (in the STs) which helps a great deal with adding heat sinks to keep cool.

Just as a food for thought I'll add some builds you can try.

Brawl:
  • ADR-B (-15% LB cooldown): LB20, 3-4 ER small
  • ADR-any: 4 SRM6+A (pretty cool running)
  • KFX-any: 6 SRM6 (hot, but damn all that ignore the stupid little fox Posted Image)
Medium:
  • ADR-any: 2 HLL, 3 ER medium
  • KFX-PR: 4 ER medium, ECM, 3 AMS, (2 LMGs)
  • KFX-C (energy cooldown + range + heat) : LB5, 3 ER medium
There is long range stuff to do... but I guess you can work that out on your own. Posted Image

#6 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:40 AM

My adder build is pretty simple. 5 er meds and maximum heatsinks then rely on poor mans ecm and a bit of range to keep up a constant fire. Works well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users