- - - - -

Mouse Settings For Fine Fire Control / Splashing Incoming Damage?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out mouse settings so I can maintain my laser fire on a component while moving, but also have it sensitive enough to twist and splash incoming damage. What do you all do / suggest?

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:20 AM

Just unlock your arms.

Having arms lock means you are restricted in torso speed.

Go and try in testing grounds. Torso twist with arms locked and then unlocked. You'll see unlocked always moves at Max speed where arms locked is slower.

Now it is not actually slower it will move the same rate. It'll just take more mouse movement (if you run low DPI, which you should be for MWO/Laser burns).

#3 Khaze

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:16 AM

Generally speaking as far as mouse settings go, you'd preferably want to do the following:
  • Confirm that your sensitivity in Windows mouse settings is squarely in the middle of the slider (the sixth notch) and that Enhanced Pointer Precision is ticked off. Changing the Windows sensitivity and enabling EPP can and will introduce pixel skipping, hampering precision.
  • Disable in-game mouse smoothing (for the same reason as above) and acceleration. Acceleration is probably more a matter of taste, but disabling it helps keep things consistent.
  • Adjust sensitivity with the mouse's own software and keep the in-game sensitivity slider at minimum. If your mouse software doesn't allow editing the sensitivity, software doesn't exist or your mouse doesn't support high enough DPI, you'll just have to make do. As far as I know (no source, haven't tested extensively), CryEngine's implementation can introduce pixel skipping if raised at all from the minimum.
Personally, I have the in-game slider at 0.1 and mouse DPI set to 3800 (realistically probably between 1200 to 2800 for most people) in Logitech Gaming Software. Also if your mouse software offers any kind of enhanced precision (like Angle Snapping in Logitech Gaming Software), disable it.

That's about all the advice I can give. Specific sensitivity ultimately comes down to personal taste, the kinds of mechs you prefer to pilot, the mousepad real estate you have etc etc etc. My settings work for me in basically all situations.

Edited by Khaze, 25 February 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#4 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

It's different for everyone but disabling the mouse accelerate was a huge help for myself. My buddies group suggested dropping sensitivity to 50% to make each shot more steady (it did work for a snipping match with lasers) but it made my controls feel sluggish when it came to torso twisting (though this may also change with each mechs pitch and yaw)

Getting arm mounted weapons on point and not overcompensate while on the move is just going to require allot of practice as the games arm mounted weapon convergence has always been a little off. Arm Lock on or off is a matter of personal preference, I prefer off for a wider range of motion though it's not uncommon for me to make a wild shot while torso twisting (I should just buy a game appropriate mouse with a few extra button so I can toggle arm lock on the fly but I'm cheap)

#5 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

Well, after spending today fiddling with settings, it got better, but I was still struggling, so I just got a new mouse and mouse pad...after my first match, all I can say is....UPGRADE NOW. Wow, what a difference.

#6 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:24 PM

View PostShenys, on 05 February 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out mouse settings so I can maintain my laser fire on a component while moving, but also have it sensitive enough to twist and splash incoming damage. What do you all do / suggest?

Tweak your mouse sensitivity, in game as well as in windows. lower/slower but not too low.

Also, aim by moving your arm, not just my moving your wrist, like drawing on a big sheet of paper. Just using your wrist tends to add an arc to the movement.

#7 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, I changed my sensitivities, just adjusting with DPI now. Great tip for moving with the arm, never thought of that...thanks.

#8 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostShenys, on 05 February 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

Hi all,

I changed my overall game mouse sensitivity settings to 50% after seeing that recommended in a video. (BlackhawkSC, I think?)

Also, I have a mouse with sensitivity adjustment buttons fore and aft of the wheel, so if I'm doing something fine, I can just tap down the sensitivity a couple of times while aiming, then tap it back to normal again afterward. It's a Logitech G400. Probably out of production now.

Edited by renzor51, 12 February 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#9 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:57 PM

This is how I have mine

Posted Image

I use the mouse to control the DPI, not the game.

The biggest issue when training players is their mouse settings. Most of them have the in-game stuff to high. Most players seem to have it between 0.1 and 0.2 / 0.25 for sensitivity. The others should be set to 0 always.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 12 February 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#10 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:27 PM

I use a mouse (Logitech G400 I think, not at home right now) which has adjustable DPI on the fly. This is great when moving from a sniping position to a brawl as you can have high precision at long range and yet easily turn back to high twist rates when close or their is some thing fast moving around.

I still shoot like **** but it definitely improved my game.

The mouse uses 2 buttons, 1 progressively increases the DPI from (I think) 800 to 3200 and then 1 to set it back to the start. In game settings are all set to 0 and I never use arm lock, I also usually have arm weapons on a different trigger to torso unless I am shooting from left or right sides.

#11 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:54 PM

I fiddled with different in game settings for a bit, then just bit the bullet and got a new mouse and mouse pad. Even a low end gaming mouse (Logitech G203) and decent mouse pad made 50 points of match score difference, minimum. It has on the fly DPI adjust, but for now, it's so much better than what I was using, I just use the higher setting. I'm sure as I improve, I'll appreciate having the lower setting, especially as I use mostly laser weapons right now. My in game settings are right down now, as ASH suggested. Soooo much better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users