#1 Soedrin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 68 posts
  • Locationbehind you...

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

Can someone breakdown the MWO ELO points system for Solaris 7 divisions

If you know of a thread that already explains this please link, searching forums either here or via google / site: returned info from 2014 and 2015 comps or guess work.

I notice the first seven (or is it ten) matches carry more weight but how much?
How does it break down after these first matches?
I have won up to 31 points (after the first matches) in a match while it seams 15-20 point gains are most common.
Is 31 the max you can win?

I am aware that it takes 25 to get on the leaderboard for a division (which would mean 175 minimum matches to achieve a global ranking but i see more than half of those on the first page of the global leaderboard have too few total matches to have a "global" score).

Does this mean that after scoring 7 or 10 wins in each division to secure the more valuable ELO point awards you could stop competing and ride this to a global top finish at end of season?

#2 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:50 PM

Makenzie71 and I figured it out in this thread.

So after you play a match you gain or lose Elo (SSR) based on the following formula:

E = 32 * (R - 1/(1 + 10(B - A)/400))

E = the Elo you gain or lose after the match.
R = the result, 1 if you win and 0 if you lose.

B = your opponent's Elo before the match.
A = your Elo before the match.

And also
  • E is rounded to the nearest whole number.
  • If you have fewer than 10 matches played, E is multiplied by 7 after rounding.
  • Ties are counted as loses for both players.

View PostSoedrin, on 15 February 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

Does this mean that after scoring 7 or 10 wins in each division to secure the more valuable ELO point awards you could stop competing and ride this to a global top finish at end of season?

Yes, there have been two players that have done this.
  • Season 2 - misanthrop0815 finished 10th overall with 71 games played
  • Season 3 - XtremeAlex finished 7th overall with 64 games played
The only reward for top-10-overall is a decal, and most top-10-overall have 175+ games played so it hardly matters.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 15 February 2019 - 11:02 PM.

#3 Soedrin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 68 posts
  • Locationbehind you...

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:25 AM

Thank you Alcom Isst & Makenzie71
This is exactly what i was looking for!

#4 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

Lately the top players only have 25 matches and somehow all of their matches were against competitive players because I am 30-0 in one division and barely broke the top 10. It's incredibly frustrating. The only one in div 1 that has played a lot of games is that Neverar guy i think.

#5 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:30 AM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 17 February 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

Lately the top players only have 25 matches and somehow all of their matches were against competitive players because I am 30-0 in one division and barely broke the top 10. It's incredibly frustrating. The only one in div 1 that has played a lot of games is that Neverar guy i think.

Elo systems have a K-Value, which is the rate/magnitude by which your Elo increases and decreases for each match. Most games give a high K-Value for your first few games and, usually gradually, reduce the K-Value to a normal level.

MechWarrior Online does this too and it does it poorly because it's MechWarrior Online and MechWarrior Online does things poorly.

Solaris 7 has a default K-value of 32. Your first 10 games however have an effective K-Value of 224, or 32 * 7. This is Solaris 7 we have to do things by 7's because Solaris 7 has the number 7 in it and damn all the consequences. This is a ridiculously high K-Value multiplier and it's equally ridiculous that it drops off immediately.

So your first 10 matches are ridiculously important so if you get lousy opponents or if your power supply blows up during your 10th match then say goodbye to all your Solaris hopes and Solaris dreams... actually don't have any Solaris dreams. It's a silly and also dead game mode, and having a nonsensical Elo system isn't helping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users