- - - - -

Communicating With Other Players

19 replies to this topic

#1 Spectre1019

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

Sorry for being such a noob but I had a question regarding communicating with other players. I finally have a day off work and nothing to do today so i can finally do this.

1. Do i download Ventrillo, Team Speak (or another program i haven't thought of) to get access to MechWarrior channels to find folks to play with since I'm not a part of a unit?

2. Not related to this but one of the only mechs I own at the moment is a Timberwolf. Why isn't it called a MadCat? Where did the Timberwolf name come from?

3. I stripped my Timberwolf of all weapons and made my own custom rig but I believe that the stock option was better rig. Is manually restoring the origional build the only way to do it? If so, what is the origional stock build for it? When you go to the Timberwolf tab in "store" i got the very first selection. I think it had 2 LRM20's, some large lasers, some medium, i think a pulse and machine guns.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

1) Varies with whatever the unit actually uses. Though if you sought them out on say a public channel, the most commonly suggested one is on teamspeak. This said you could use the in game "looking for group" to get into group play, and from there while playing you could talk to group players and ask if they have a unit to join if you enjoyed speaking with them.

2) Battletech lore. "Madcat" is the name given to it by its ENEMIES, the Inner Sphere factions. This is because their targeting computer couldn't decide if this new, almost alien machine was a Marauder or a Catapult. So rapidly it would switch between Marauder (MAD) and Catapult (CAT) (MAD) (CAT) (MAD) (CAT) hence.. Mad Cat.
Timber Wolf is what the people that drive it, the "Clans", call it. Until they get mixed into the Inner Sphere and half the Clans begin adopting those names as many of them are shorter and quicker to say.

3) Gimme a minute to pull up the game and give you a walkthrough of how to do this.
And... nevermind. Reset only goes back to the last saved change. There's a loadout save/load, but... Unless you saved the stock loadout.. I'm not sure if the import command would let you use something like Smurfy to create a stock loadout; I think its sort of PGI-made code.

So... Here's the stock loadout. Change to your specific Timberwolf and then Tools, Stock loadout. Replicate it in your MWO.
In truth though you could simply design another loadout.

Edited by Koniving, 16 February 2019 - 11:08 AM.

#3 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:13 AM

You can see the stock build in the game store in game.

Timber wolf isn't in a good spot at the moment being fairly underpowered, mostly because its agility was nerfed with the engine desync quite a long time ago and given poor accel/turning/... values but still having a big engine that is not as useful as it used to be, I don't play them any more but I would suggest staying away of cannons and instead relying in a mix of Energy Weapons and Missiles because of their higher DPS / ton.

EDIT: Yo can look for builds in this web-page http://www.mechspecs.com/ I love it since it won't just give you the best build but it offers a lot of different build to try out and find out by yourself what works better, will help you learn the game and have fun experimenting.
If you are interested in the best build some well known guys just started an updated page that looks very solid and promising: https://grimmechs.is...ts?list=general
But you won't find any TBR build I am afraid because they are working with the best of the best and TBR simply isn't there.

Edited by Brizna, 16 February 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

Different way to communicate. The game has its own built-in VOIP which is Teamspeak based. External VOIP will be based on faction and/or unit.

Make sure to complete the Academy, though it sounds like you already did since you have purchased a mech.

Mouse in game settings - Sensitivity move it from the far right to the far left, 0.1 to 0.3, dependent on your mouse settings. Acceleration and the other setting set to zero/far left.

Make a change to Arm Lock. Change it from the Arm lock (temp while pressing button) to Toggle Arm lock. There will be times when it is better to have arms unlocked from torso for greater reach of arm mounted weapons.

Computer - make sure Power Options is set to High Performance. This prevents CPU cores from being parked as well as reducing how often the system "slows down" the cpu speed that is not heat related.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 February 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

A bit more for question 3...

Here's a really basic Timber Wolf build.
4 Streak SRM-6s, (you may need to use alternative side torsos).
A pair of Heavy Medium Lasers. Set the missiles to fire at once and tie some LMGs to the same button.

Funnel armor forward, 10 or less armor to the rear (the more comfortable you are with your situational awareness the less you need on the back).

I'm rocking this on my Timber Wolf S, with side torsos for twin missile + ballistic.
(You can substitute Streaks with ATMs, LRMs, or SRMs. If you're comfortable with a third key, separate it from the MGs and you could set it to chain fire to prevent heat penalties. Alteratively, you can tie lasers and MGs together to keep it to two buttons and chain fire the missiles [use backspace to set chain fire on the selected weapon group in game]. Streaks almost never miss, ATMs and LRMs have long range. SRMs are dumb, but generally focus damage better and are lighter than Streaks.)

Edited by Koniving, 16 February 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#6 Spectre1019

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

https://mwomercs.com...then-look-here/

After using the above post i copy/pasted above, I entered the address/password info below:

(Comstar NA) Address: na1.mech-connect.net
Password: WordofBlake

But when I click on the "Connect" button, I get an error message in read text saying: failed to connect to server

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Edited by Spectre666, 16 February 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:00 PM

View PostSpectre666, on 16 February 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

https://mwomercs.com...then-look-here/

After using the above post i copy/pasted above, I entered the address/password info below:

But when I click on the "Connect" button, I get an error message in read text saying: failed to connect to server

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Post is from 2012 and hasn't been updated since 2013... its possible that server has changed.

#8 Spectre1019

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

oh ok. anybody know of a TS3 server address i can connect to?

#9 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

I think nowadays Discord is more popular than TS3, but honestly I move in small circle currently.

#10 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

https://www.reddit.c...coming_edition/
It's a little old, so don't expect each and every hub to be online.

View PostSpectre1019, on 16 February 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

Comstar is gone.

#11 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

in its current state, missiles are not a good option in the TBR. Everyone and their grandmothers know how to shoot the missile boxes on missile mounted TBRs, even if they're just SRMs. It also suffers from not having good omnipod variants. If there were 3/4E options for the arms, or arm mounted missile hardpoints, it would be in a much better position

Single UAC + laser or laser vomit builds are options left for the TBR

#12 Zaxit

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:58 PM

I just got done with my first Match today and heard people talking, but I couldn't join in. At least no one yelled at me for being a noob in the Match. I'm still getting my mech legs under me after working with Tesla Pod Mech driving. Keyboarding is a bit more tricky. :D
I love this game, though. MUCH more fun.

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:49 AM

View PostZaxit, on 20 February 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

I just got done with my first Match today and heard people talking, but I couldn't join in.
You need to enable VOIP in your game options - most of us recommend using push-to-talk (with my preferred key being Caps Lock) for this purpose. And of course own a microphone. :)

#14 Zaxit

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:16 AM

View PostHorseman, on 21 February 2019 - 02:49 AM, said:

You need to enable VOIP in your game options - most of us recommend using push-to-talk (with my preferred key being Caps Lock) for this purpose. And of course own a microphone. Posted Image

My laptop has a built in one... would that work? Or do I need to get a headset with one?

#15 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:37 AM

View PostZaxit, on 20 February 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

I just got done with my first Match today and heard people talking, but I couldn't join in. At least no one yelled at me for being a noob in the Match. I'm still getting my mech legs under me after working with Tesla Pod Mech driving. Keyboarding is a bit more tricky. Posted Image
I love this game, though. MUCH more fun.

View PostHorseman, on 21 February 2019 - 02:49 AM, said:

You need to enable VOIP in your game options - most of us recommend using push-to-talk (with my preferred key being Caps Lock) for this purpose. And of course own a microphone. Posted Image

View PostZaxit, on 21 February 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

My laptop has a built in one... would that work? Or do I need to get a headset with one?

Hi, Zaxit... Your own Laptop's Built-In Mic will work. :)

Just make sure to do the following first in Windows...
  • Go to Windows' Control Panels
  • Click the "Hardware and Sound" Category
  • Click "Manage Audio Devices"
  • Go to the "Recording" Tab of the "Sound" Control Panel that just opened
  • Select your Microphone Device
  • Right-Click it and Select "Set as Default Device"
  • Right-Click again and Select "Set as Default Communication Device"
  • Click "Properties" Button below
  • Go to the "Advanced" Tab of the Microphone Device's Properties Dialog
  • Uncheck BOTH CheckBoxes under "Exclusive Mode", starting with the lower one
  • Go to the "Levels" Tab, and make sure the Input Volume displayed there is set properly
  • Click "OK" on the Microphone Device's Properties Dialog and the "Sound" Control Panel
  • Close out Windows' Control Panels
...and that will have the first part done. What you've just done there is make sure the Microphone can be shared by all the Voice-Enabled Apps, such as TeamSpeak and MWO's Game Client. That way, no matter which app you're using to talk, the others can not steal it away. B)

Now, with that done, Login to MWO's Game Client and...
  • Click "Settings"
  • Click "Keyboard"
  • Scroll down to "Push To Talk"
  • Make sure a Key is bound for using it
  • If a Key is bound, and you want to use it, just remember which one and press "Cancel"
  • If no Key is bound, or not one you want to use, then quickly double-click the matching "Key Map" box
  • If you had to do the above item, tap a Key on your Keyboard to set it for "Push To Talk"
  • Only if you had to do the above two items, Click "Save", and confirm any additional prompts
...and then you'll be all set, more or less, to dive into a Match and use In-Game VoIP... Have fun! :D

~Mr. D. V. "I hope that helps you use the MWO In-Game VoIP, Zaxit!" Devnull

#16 Zaxit

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:21 AM

My friend, you are an absolute Lifesaver. I did everything, let's see if it works. :D

#17 Zaxit

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

No one was answering my com check, and I did everything you listed. Looks like I get to invest in a gaming headset

#18 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:57 AM

View PostZaxit, on 21 February 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

No one was answering my com check, and I did everything you listed. Looks like I get to invest in a gaming headset

Whoa! Give it about 20 Matches before you do that. Not everyone else has a Mic, or listens to In-Game VoIP very well. :blink:

Also, I forgot to mention something previously. PGI's Defaults for In-Game VoIP are set rather low. In the MWO Client, you might need to...
  • Go to "Settings" again
  • Click on the "Audio" Section
  • Under "VoIP Settings", first ensure that "Enable VoIP" is checked
  • Also under "VoIP Settings", increase the Level Sliders for both Playback and Record
  • Click "Save" and confirm any additional prompts
...and that should take care of any problems with either you hearing people, or people hearing you. At that point, it's all a matter now of finding someone that can respond back either by text or voice. :)

Also of note... If you're on Windows 10, you will have to give your permission for Applications to have access to your Microphone on that Laptop. It is not pre-authorized by default, as to allow the user to have more control. It's as much of a drawback as it is a blessing. :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "Sorry I didn't mention this earlier about Microphone Setup!" Devnull

#19 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostZaxit, on 21 February 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

At your tier, other players may not be motivated enough to answer you, so no need to buy something else just yet. I mean, if you want to, no one here is gonna stop you.

#20 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:55 AM

Little late on the draw with this one but I'm surprised nobody told OP to just go to the store, find their Timber Wolf variant, and export the build code on the stock build to import it onto his mech. That would have been the easiest way to do what they wanted (whether or not it would actually be the best choice).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users