Sources Of Mech Bays / Mc For (Mostly) F2P

17 replies to this topic

#1 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

I pre-ordered MW5, and so I have a base amount of MC to play with, but likely won't add much to that over the next 6 months. I'd like to start to build towards some FP, but I've already been shown my current roster is ... not great. I grabbed the Virago in the current sale, and am thinking of a second HBT chassis to move towards my first drop deck. What I add in the future will depend alot on upcoming sales, I think.

My current limiting factor is mech bays / MC, so any suggestions on ways to accumulate? I know you can get mech bays through loyalty points, but of course, I don't even have 1 viable drop deck yet, much less the 2 fully skilled decks it's recommended I start with.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

Not much to suggest other than do the events that reward what you want. Could watch some streamers and enter when they do MC prizes!

#3 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

That's kind of what I thought....it seems like MC, bays and mechs used to be given out more frequently. Unfortunately, I missed the Christmas giveaway by about 3 days.

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Save up your MC and wait for a mech bay sale usually 50% off but one such sale happened not to long ago so there might be a wait

#5 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:00 AM

View PostShenys, on 11 February 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

My current limiting factor is mech bays / MC, so any suggestions on ways to accumulate?
Grind events for MC. Whenever there's an event that rewards a free mech? GRIND THAT **** - it comes with a mechbay and if you don't lke the mech you can always sell it for more C-Bills.
As for mechbays, buy them when there's a sale, so that your MC will last longer.

I know you can get mech bays through loyalty points, but of course, I don't even have 1 viable drop deck yet, much less the 2 fully skilled decks it's recommended I start with.
Scouting also rewards loyalty points, and you only need one mech for that (two if you want to get bays from both Clan and IS reward trees).

#6 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:03 AM

I have 32 mech bays currently. I got three from free Nova they gifted and from event ArcticWolf champion and recent Hellbringer champion reward.
All the other mech bays have been purchased on discounts (from 300MC to 150MC) through the MC earned through these small weekly bimonthly events Posted Image Been playing little over half a year now.
Just remember, wait for MechBay discounts.

Edited by Acersecomic, 12 February 2019 - 07:04 AM.

#7 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:12 AM

I pre-ordered MW5, and so I have a base amount of MC to play with, but likely won't add much to that over the next 6 months. I'd like to start to build towards some FP, but I've already been shown my current roster is ... not great. I grabbed the Virago in the current sale, and am thinking of a second HBT chassis to move towards my first drop deck. What I add in the future will depend alot on upcoming sales, I think.

My current limiting factor is mech bays / MC, so any suggestions on ways to accumulate? I know you can get mech bays through loyalty points, but of course, I don't even have 1 viable drop deck yet, much less the 2 fully skilled decks it's recommended I start with.

I get mech bays by getting MC from events and buying them when they are on sale.

#8 Xannatharr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:30 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 11 February 2019 - 11:32 PM, said:

Furthermore do some faction games (Cheekiez is offering regular group drops for starters switchin between IS and Clan-side), since ye get a free mechbay on loyalty rank 2 (which is fairly easy to achieve).

Even heard rumours about some people switchin factions to achieve multiple loyalty rank 2 (a.k.a. mechbays) rewards. Dunno if this is true tbh - and I could not stand the 10 games probation time each time.

Yes, we do this a all the time. We have our pilots enter their rep with each faction in a google sheet then every 4-6 weeks we switch to a faction to let guys get rewards then we move on. The probie matches go by fast with scouting!

#9 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

As I recall PGI did not give out as much free MC or free mechbays as often as they do now.
Pretty sure it all changed around the time the original supply caches got introduced.

Recap:
Buy mechbays when on 50% off sale.
Buy mechs when on sale (and only use cbills when possible)
- (not free but maybe gtk?) Buy MC when on sale, then mechbays when on sale.
Grind faction play to get to tier 2 in each faction + mercenary
+ Afterwards look at a single faction for longer term commitment for more tiering freebies.
Play all events for more MC, and for free mechs w/mechbay when those events happen.
Open supply caches for rare MC (not sure caches still give extra-rare free mechbay???)
Watch streamers for free MC giveaways.
Watch forums for events that don't appear in game events list (pick a mech type events)
Watch forums for community events, but I think the last free mechpack was couple years back for cyclops.

Edited by Akillius, 13 February 2019 - 12:38 PM.

#10 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

The Virago is cool. I bought one over the Christmas sale. For a while, I was running it full-Virago with the LRM-arm and pulse lasers. Most recently, I swapped out the left torso for the omnipod with the ECM and have been doing a LPL/MPL combo.

I've seen Mechbays go on sale twice since I started playing in November. I'm saving my MC's (obtained from the MW5 preorder) for when they go on sale again, and I also intend to buy a Deathstrike and a Black Widow whenever those go on sale, too.

I participate in all of the events I can.

I'll also be receiving the Christmas giveaway Warhammer IIC and Corsair. I might strip and sell the Corsair, then have another Mech Bay because of that. Not too excited about that big, slow monster with weird hard points.

Edited by renzor51, 12 February 2019 - 11:40 AM.

#11 Shenys

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I think I'm just being impatient. I had planned to grab a MLX-G and a second Hellbringer chassis to progress towards my clan drop decks, a GHR-5H for the IS deck, and a Ghillie for a cbill boosted medium....but I think I'll be patient and load up on mech bays for the next sale. I'm planning on only using MC to purchase hero mechs that have good FP and QP cbill grinding crossover....so far, the Virago has been great for that.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:18 AM

Expect a bunch of loot bag events (probably easiest way to score MC) during the year:
  • "Lucky Charms" in late March
  • Un-named (PGI changes the theme each time) summer event in late June / early July
  • "Trick or Treat" in late October / early November
  • "Stocking Stuffer" in late December / early January
As for mechbay sales, there is always one for Black Friday, lately there has been another in the Christmas period and I think we've seen 2 or 3 others during last year. Check the front page regularly for any sale announcements.

#13 Chaplin

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

Is this Heartbreaker event a "mech bay sale"? I was looking at getting the lowest MC tier that comes with 1200MC and 2 mech bays. That is functionally 6 bays for the price of 4. Or should I wait?

#14 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

View PostChaplin, on 20 February 2019 - 05:27 PM, said:

Is this Heartbreaker event a "mech bay sale"? I was looking at getting the lowest MC tier that comes with 1200MC and 2 mech bays. That is functionally 6 bays for the price of 4. Or should I wait?

It's not a mechbay sale. When there's one on, mechbays are 50% off.

#15 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

try not to blow your MC on hero or champion mechs that are MC only

#16 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostShenys, on 12 February 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I think I'm just being impatient. I had planned to grab a MLX-G and a second Hellbringer chassis to progress towards my clan drop decks, a GHR-5H for the IS deck, and a Ghillie for a cbill boosted medium....but I think I'll be patient and load up on mech bays for the next sale. I'm planning on only using MC to purchase hero mechs that have good FP and QP cbill grinding crossover....so far, the Virago has been great for that.

I'd recomment a prianha instead of a mist lynx (personal preference and more tonnage saving). I also recently picked up a Ghillie and i am not too impressed (apart from the mini warhammer 6R build).

tldr, if you don't have much MC don't buy a Ghillie. There are much, much better c-bills maker for less MC available.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 21 February 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#17 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostNapoleon_Blownapart, on 21 February 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

try not to blow your MC on hero or champion mechs that are MC only

Do not spend MC on champion mechs, period. The XP boost isn't worth the cost. If you are going to spend MC on a mech, let it be a hero.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users