Faction Play Queuing: Why Not Clan Vs Clan Is Vs Is?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:03 PM

So ive been queuing for faction play for over 30 minutes now and yet to see a game. We got 30+ clan guys waiting and almost zero IS. Why not just launch clan vs clan and IS vs IS? ive seen numbers go the other way too when there is an overabundance of IS and no clanners.

#2 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

Its a small player base, its a bad idea to split up the player base any further.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

#4 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

That would actually be great, lets say for up to 5 minutes the game tries to match IS vs Clan, but if it can't get enough players on one side and the other has over 24 it just makes a Clan vs Clan or IS vs IS drop. It would help people trying to actually play the game find drops much faster and easier than having to switch sides all the time, and make staying loyalist suck less (for the players that care about that). I see only positives here, and this can't be that hard to implement

#5 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 12 February 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

That would actually be great, lets say for up to 5 minutes the game tries to match IS vs Clan, but if it can't get enough players on one side and the other has over 24 it just makes a Clan vs Clan or IS vs IS drop. It would help people trying to actually play the game find drops much faster and easier than having to switch sides all the time, and make staying loyalist suck less (for the players that care about that). I see only positives here, and this can't be that hard to implement

Would be questions on, how would the match affect tug-of-war, tagging planets, and so on. Silly but there wouldn't be any easy way to fit the concept within 'faction play', would just be random play.

An easier way from a FP perspective would be to track the active players on each side and give cbill bonus to mercs/LP bonus to loyalists to join the underpop side.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

View PostHellbringer, on 12 February 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

So ive been queuing for faction play for over 30 minutes now and yet to see a game. We got 30+ clan guys waiting and almost zero IS. Why not just launch clan vs clan and IS vs IS? ive seen numbers go the other way too when there is an overabundance of IS and no clanners.

Faction Play is oriented around group play.

Get into a group.

Get matches faster.

Easy.

#7 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

I would trade the whole map for a no more than 5 minute que time in a heartbeat

I think at this point the map has become pretty meaningless especially since the buckitmerge, and que time is one of the if not the biggest complaint that keeps players out of FP, which imo is a much better game mode. Maybe if people dropping solo could actually drop, more of them would stay, and then we'd actually have enough players to run some form of matchmaking

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:51 PM

View PostHellbringer, on 12 February 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

Best way to do it for now is to be Mercenary and hop factions if you do cannot get drops. Being a Loyalist nowadays in FP is just not worth it.

#9 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

i aint gonna change. Im already nova captain. I want to make galaxy commander one of these days and become this guy

Posted Image
(yes i know he was jade falcon.... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image)

Back on subject: group or solo drops in FP should still be done in a way to minimize wait times. It fits canon too as clan vs clan happened all the time with the different trials of whatever and bids of whatever. Similarly with IS there was always petty squabbles and bids for territory. Either way it would bring more people in FP and minimize wait times.

Galaxy map... who gives a hoot.

#10 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:23 PM

Well technically that guy was a Star Colonel . Posted Image

#11 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

Too many factions.
4 is enough - 2 IS, 2 Clans, so we could have all combinations of IS-IS, IS-Clan, Clan-Clan.

#12 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:59 AM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 12 February 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

Its a small player base, its a bad idea to split up the player base any further.

If no IS players are in the queue, then the game is unplayable. If Clan players are in the Queue, then "splitting up the player base" would allow people to play. This is all with the stipulation that you believe the OP.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

they have an event system in place to allow this, its just used far too seldomly to matter. i dont even care if the prize is 2 cbills, they should do about one a month.

#14 Dresari Iain

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts
  • LocationStranded on the sands of Bone-Norman

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

Clan vs Clan and IS vs IS actually did happen in MWO. IIRC last time I played IS vs IS was in july 2015. The hint
"Despite the threat posed by the clans, the great houses still fight amongs themselves, often to the detriment of their effort against the invaders"
just tells you how CW used to look like. I wish, just like the OP asks, that they bring it back. Another great idea I read somewhere was: PUG vs PUG only and UNIT vs UNIT only. Because (obviously) any unit (even the not so strong ones) will tear apart any group of pugs easy. PGI made an effort to organize quickplay matchmaking with tiers, and IMHO it was a good choice. But CW was (and is) in much greater need of rebalancing.

Also it's obvious Clan mechs (more precisely what you can put into them) is far better than IS stuff.

For the IS, any missile weapon is twice as heavy as for the clans (huge penalty), have a poor firing pattern (innacurate), ACs are heavier while do the exact same damage, lasers are also heavier, kinda weak and sorely lack any serious range. Plus they are comparatively less heat efficient. Double heat sinks just waste your critical space, XL engines get you killed by the loss of any torso. ECM and BAP are 50% heavier. In the end you'll sacrifice engine speed and weight to compensate on firepower, get outmaneuvered by fast clan mechs, well, you know what happens next: backstabbed while gangbanged.

If they care a little about fairness and LORE, they should be forcing 3 lances to stand up to a full binary (2 stars, 10 mechs). Clan toumans were actually very small compared to Inner Sphere armies.

Unless you're in a unit (and the IS is badly in need of active CW units), by fighting the clans you're just giving them a chance to take a planet, farm you for Cbills and loyalty points, get up in rank, at the expense of your frustration.

Sure, I won a few times by taking charge of pugs back in the day I played CW, but it was never against a unit. It was REAL rewarding, but no where close enough to compensate the frustration of so many times we lost. And we were losing usually still killing about 40 clan mechs (out of 48).

So yeah, I wanna be able to play as a WARDEN Wolf, go attack CJF and use the clan mechs I purchased for CW for something more than quickplay. Plus the refusal war between Wolves and CJF is happening right now (3057). Again I bought the jags BEFORE PGI removed the ability to play inter-clan wars, so now, with the new skill tree, I'm like a dumb s with 4 Ebon Jags that I don't need (I need just ONE for quickplay, and because of no tonnage restrictions I usually go assault or Timbie anyway). Sure I could sell them, but that's about 25M cbills wasted.

This game has GREAT potential beyond quickplay and hardcore unit gamers in CW. It just needs to adjust to the needs of the casual player by listening to them too. Because there is a free game with pretty graphics and multiplayer allowing you to defend the Inner Sphere and… you don't want to play it. Sad.

Edit: I still play the game in quickplay. Tho no where as much as I would if CW was fixed (rebalanced + inter clan wars + inter IS wars + lore events).

Edited by Dresari Iain, 15 February 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#15 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

Russ decided there were too many of these in Community Warfare:
Posted Image

Edited by Vxheous, 15 February 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#16 Dresari Iain

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

Too many factions?

#17 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostDresari Iain, on 15 February 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

Too many factions?

Too many buckets.

#18 Dresari Iain

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

Wut? Buckets? Which buckets?

Edited by Dresari Iain, 15 February 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

View PostDresari Iain, on 15 February 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

Wut? Buckets? Which buckets?

Buckets dude.

Evey time you have a attack lane - you have a bucket.

Too many buckets means you have too many buckets.

Too many buckets means there is not enough players to put into those buckets.

Not enough players in buckets means no one will ever find games.

Fairly logical if you think about it for a second, or maybe two seconds. Definately not 3 though.

#20 Dresari Iain

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:01 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 February 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

Buckets dude.

Evey time you have a attack lane - you have a bucket.

Too many buckets means you have too many buckets.

Too many buckets means there is not enough players to put into those buckets.

Not enough players in buckets means no one will ever find games.

Fairly logical if you think about it for a second, or maybe two seconds. Definately not 3 though.

It's truly sad you seem to speak proper English and I still can't get what you're trying to say.
Forget the bucket story altogether.

I'm just wondering how long we have to wait until we can do IS vs IS and Clan vs Clan battles in FP. And if this will ever be re-implemented.

Edited by Dresari Iain, 23 February 2019 - 11:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users