Pilot Ranking System

1 reply to this topic

#1 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:49 PM

I've played Warrior since Mech 1. I love the physics and detail of MWO compared to past versions and even currently developing versions (but lack of new maps and content is a drag). But when it comes to checking out your pilot ranking system, all I see is gratitude to players with less than average skill. I mean,, number of matches played is a statistic,, but it is in no way a measure of player skill, nor is win loss ratio, given the skewed system in which mostly pug groups are pitted against 8 or 10 man pre-mades. These "stats" should have no impact on pilot rating except to average out important "stats" like (surprise; you don't have it in the game ) "EFFICIENCY". That is,, how many shots actually hit the target with any particular weapon. This is the true measure of a pilot in MW. Less wasted shots=less wasted heat,, = more damage per heat index=better pilot.

Including a separate pilot ranking "OUTSIDE" premade groups (PUGS), is your only other option to get a semi-accurate reading of pilot skill. comparing an 8 man premade vs. 12 individuals (half new players) is a disgrace to a game based on team play. Any league player knows that.
Another is what mechs was it done in? I know many pilots who only stand out if they are in their one favorite mech. Is that a real measure of skill? NO! A good pilot can drive anything, therefore either create a separate skill chart for each weight category (like all past leagues have done), or create a "pilot diversity" catigory that acknowledges all the players who drive all the mechs, and rarely the same one more than a few times in a row, for they are truely the better pilots if they can still compete against the "one pony show" in tier one competition on a regular basis..

I have so many more suggestions,, but this is to "test the waters" of future MWO updates. I really think Pilot ranking either attracts or repels a following of dedicated and loyal players. Researching this might help MWO become a more mainstream game. Emphasizing the individual , rather than ignoring the perks granted by Pre-made groups vs. randoms is critical because of the simple fact that a premade has many advantages over a random group, therefore , current stats punish people for not participating in the Testosterone fest that some (if not all) of the competitive "premade" groups and their private "teamspeak" channels , and all the drama that comes with it, have become. The best pilots I have known did not even register in the top 1k of your ridiculously impotent "pilot ranking" system. The entire system should revolve around how versatile and efficient a pilot is.

A person driving only one or two weight classes 80% of the time, specially if it's the same chassis, should fail utterly in the "versatility" category. A person using only a single weapon type should have the same deficit , unless you create separate pilot ranking per weight and weapon type category.

And to not have "EFFICIENCY" as the main priority for measuring a pilots skill is simply UN-excusable, unless PGI simply cannot (code is too complex), will not, or just hasn't got around to it. (a hard failing and lack of understanding of their own game mechanics) How much of that ERLL actually hits IS what matters when shooting at a light moving at 130 kph. How many missiles you waist with bad judgement , or wasted AC rounds for not leading enough on moving targets. This is what defines a pilot skill. Placement of shots on CT (center torso kills fastest , PERIOD!) or legs, might be a good stat to implement. ETC. etc.

Please make suggestions,, because as it stands, the pilot ranking system is laughable and means almost nothing, unless your one of those not real great pilots who play mwo all day long , every day because you don't have to work. This is not a valid system of pilot ranking. Efficiency, versatility , damage done vs. received, percentage of damage done per drop, and kill most damage dealt are huge. (not the one shot kill steal, anyone paying attention can do that to pad stats)

And for the sake of the game,, don't let Pre-made stacked teams rank the same as individuals,, that is not a realistic or fair measure when it comes to win/loss, kill/death, or even percentage damage done; because of the nature of the chaos in pugs. It should never count unless both teams had 8 or more in a single group.

Please,, Make the pilot ranking system actually mean something, its a joke as it stands.

#2 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

This topic is meant to reflect on the "LEADER BOARD" for example; Omega_V is now ranked number one with 132 kills to a single (1) death in 50 games with an average game score of only 305. How is this done? The latest hack? filter it by kill /death ratio and look for yourselves. This is not a good pilot, he is a cheater. The very next one is 19 kills to one death, almost believable if he only drops with sacrificial lambs in 10 or 12 man drops and uses them for cannon fodder. But even then, 25 games, 59 kills to 3 deaths, with 365 damage per game average. Cmon PGI,, doesn't this embarrass you? You think maybe your leader board is the joke of internet gaming? Go look,, and bann Omega_V , because I don' t care how good you are your not getting 132 kills before dying once in this game unless your a cheater.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users