94 replies to this topic

#41 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:38 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 14 February 2019 - 03:23 AM, said:

I guess he refers to the point that Steam and Origin could legally remove the games you bought from their platform and there would be nothing one could do against that.

game death has always been a huge concern of mine. most of my favorite nostalgia games have all released their source code and have thriving communities to this day 2 or more decades later. i dont see any of these f2p games going that distance.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 February 2019 - 05:39 AM.

#42 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

There is no game, perhaps in the history of gaming that does what mwo does. It scratches the itch. THE itch. It doesn't scratch it well, and I constantly think of how much more satisfying it could be..but it still does something good. When MWO matches are fun, they are incredible. There's never been another game aside from maybe Alpha Centauri that I've been so engrossed in and dedicated to learning all the mechanics. I probably spend as much time in the lab just dicking around with builds as actually playing. Never had an MP (or eve sp) game really have that.

As well, there is no game or franchise that does what MW "could do" (PGI tho lol). There is so much goddamn potential here.

Edited by thievingmagpi, 14 February 2019 - 09:23 AM.

#43 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Posted ImageThorn Hallis, on 14 February 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

I guess he refers to the point that Steam and Origin could legally remove the games you bought from their platform and there would be nothing one could do against that.

There was the game Rock'n'Roll Racing all the way back on Sega Megadrive, and a few years ago someone pushed its 3D remake Motor Rock through Steam Greenlight. Then it got sued out of the market, but guess what, I can still install it from my library. Goes to show theory and practice can be different things Posted Image

#44 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 February 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

game death has always been a huge concern of mine. most of my favorite nostalgia games have all released their source code and have thriving communities to this day 2 or more decades later. i dont see any of these f2p games going that distance.

I already long accepted I am going to lose all the mechs I have collected on this game sooner or later. Leaving a game with substantial assets invested isn't new to me however.

#45 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

View PostAnjian, on 14 February 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

I already long accepted I am going to lose all the mechs I have collected on this game sooner or later. Leaving a game with substantial assets invested isn't new to me however.

You're still technically keeping them; it's all in your game folder file.

#46 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

View PostEatit, on 13 February 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

Mech Warriors,

I have been playing this game for many years now. I love this game and keep coming back to it. It's one of the few games I can say that about and it's free.

I see other posts about how PGI can improve the game. Armchair quarterbacks sitting at home with no award winning games under their belt telling the creator of one of the best F2P games ever made how they could have done it better. Get a grip on yourself and start your posts listing your game industry achievements. Oh that's right you don't have any. PGI does.

I think that almost all of the people still posting on these forums LOVE this game. It's that love that drives them to say some of the most terrible things about the developer.

I'm here to say GREAT WORK PGI!! you have created a game that has entertained me for countless hours. I have spent money but it was well worth it in terms or $ vs. hours of entertainment.

I may not always agree with the changes they make but I do appreciate the hard work and dedication they have put into this game.

Thank you PGI,

Eatit, a humble fan of your work.

PGI receives praise whenever and where-ever they do something good... this has happened in the past, and will happen in the future.
You think PGI might get annoyed by the criticism and then take all the toys away?

(lol, I just remembered that Russ is not shy about reminding us that if it was not for them MW was going to die... so we should not criticize anything)

Also:

I see other posts about how PGI can improve the game. Armchair quarterbacks sitting at home with no award winning games under their belt telling the creator of one of the best F2P games ever made how they could have done it better. Get a grip on yourself and start your posts listing your game industry achievements. Oh that's right you don't have any. PGI does.

Damn... strong logic in the works there.

Dude... do you manufacture cars?... TVs?... CPUs?... Furniture?
No?
Do you use them?
Then keep it to yourself next time you see a flaw in any of those products.. and deal with it. Who are you to tell the manufacturer that a chair needs to be comfortable?... you don't make chairs!... they do.

If I'm making something that I don't use, I for damn sure will take any harsh criticism into account. If PGI devs played the game as a player, just for the purpose of playing and having fun, no one had to tell them anything.

Edited by Navid A1, 14 February 2019 - 06:50 PM.

#47 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:41 PM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 13 February 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

We need more threads like this . Thank you for making this Eatit . Posted Image

Yup by far the best Mech Game currently . May it last a very very long time . I have given this awesome game so much money and it was well worth it . I feel every cent given has been returned twice over . The events and prizes on those special holidays are amazing . On top of that we get an event just about every week . I wish millions of people played this , all i can do is tell everyone i know about it .

I love every aspect and every game mode . Thank you PGI and Devs for making such an awesome game and being so generous .

You sound sarcastic.

#48 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:12 PM

Eatit a PGI Entertainment Troll? only for hold the Communty to life in the forum s? its a new Marketing Strategy for the community ..trolls thats the forum not dying XD or only a little autistic teen ,thats not seeing many in teh World and not have Great experience in gaming and Gaming history???

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 14 February 2019 - 11:13 PM.

#49 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:09 AM

PGI Entertainment Troll? WTF is that?

I'm just a really old dude that enjoys playing MWO. Your 8000+ posts suggest that you love it too. Not sure how things work in Germany but here in America insulting people you don't know is bad form.

I have been playing video games since they were invented. I owned Pong when it came out. I have had many great experiences, many in the BT universe. I made this thread to counter the many negative posts I was seeing. I have gotten more than my money's worth from this game and appreciate any game developer that can provide that.

I've purchased hundreds of games only to find that they were shipped buggy or were just down right unplayable. These were games I payed cash for. This game is free!

Your opinion is your business so you be you. I'll be me.

#50 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:15 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 14 February 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

Also:

Damn... strong logic in the works there.

Dude... do you manufacture cars?... TVs?... CPUs?... Furniture?
No?
Do you use them?
Then keep it to yourself next time you see a flaw in any of those products.. and deal with it. Who are you to tell the manufacturer that a chair needs to be comfortable?... you don't make chairs!... they do.

If I'm making something that I don't use, I for damn sure will take any harsh criticism into account. If PGI devs played the game as a player, just for the purpose of playing and having fun, no one had to tell them anything.

Name the one time you complained to a car manufacturer and they decided that your opinion weighed more than the professional car designers and changed the car.

Name the one time you or anyone complained about a piece of furniture and the professional furniture designer said Oh I see you have no experience designing furniture but your opinion must be the gospel... we'll change our design for you.

OMG, do believe that you are so smart and wonderful that your opinion is the only one that matters? Do you really think that you know more than professionals that work in the industries you mentioned. Narcissist much?

#51 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:37 AM

Eatit,

I’m not sure, based on your posts 60 and 61 above, that you understand how constructive criticism or even criticism in general works. I mean, if a company promises X and then fails to deliver X then people criticizing said company are not being mean, or even insulting, but merely pointing out that the company failed to deliver what they said they would. The fact that their product exists as a F2P game is irrelevant to that failure.

It isn’t “bad form” to call out PGI, or a car manufacturer or whomever when they change a product in a negative way, or fail too develop it in a manner promised, or whatever.

Blind praise for minimal viability or worse praise for actual bad decisions or product, will only continue to encourage such minimal effort endeavors from PGI or any other commercial entity. Criticizing PGI for its various failures or even things that you as a paying customer (or even a mere F2P player) find irksome is not only justified, but essential if you want them to change their behavior, fix what is broken or improve what needs improving.

While I agree that the MWO game is enjoyable more than it is annoying or what have you (based on population numbers over the years you, I and all the rest of us still around are in a dwindling minority), but I will certainly continue calling out PGI and individual devs when appropriate for what I see as bad decisions, breaking my content or simply failing to provide a product/gaming experience that I want them to provide. That’s how criticism works.

#52 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:48 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 15 February 2019 - 05:37 AM, said:

Eatit,

I’m not sure, based on your posts 60 and 61 above, that you understand how constructive criticism or even criticism in general works. I mean, if a company promises X and then fails to deliver X then people criticizing said company are not being mean, or even insulting, but merely pointing out that the company failed to deliver what they said they would. The fact that their product exists as a F2P game is irrelevant to that failure.

It isn’t “bad form” to call out PGI, or a car manufacturer or whomever when they change a product in a negative way, or fail too develop it in a manner promised, or whatever.

Blind praise for minimal viability or worse praise for actual bad decisions or product, will only continue to encourage such minimal effort endeavors from PGI or any other commercial entity. Criticizing PGI for its various failures or even things that you as a paying customer (or even a mere F2P player) find irksome is not only justified, but essential if you want them to change their behavior, fix what is broken or improve what needs improving.

While I agree that the MWO game is enjoyable more than it is annoying or what have you (based on population numbers over the years you, I and all the rest of us still around are in a dwindling minority), but I will certainly continue calling out PGI and individual devs when appropriate for what I see as bad decisions, breaking my content or simply failing to provide a product/gaming experience that I want them to provide. That’s how criticism works.

Thanks Bud,

I was triggered by the German guy calling me names.

I do understand how criticism works. I was specifically speaking about posts that say "This is how it should be done to make it better." These people don't have any idea of the complexities that exist for the developers of this game. They just say my opinion is fact and I can do it better than PGI. I would like to see their examples of them doing it better than PGI.

If I say I can QB better than Terry Bradshaw I don't think that will make the Cowboys want to hire me. They would ask to see proof of this incredible claim. Proof is in the pudding.

#53 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

Here is an example of criticism that may be correct for the person criticizing but wouldn't work for the majority.

5 foot 3 inch tall woman buys a chair. The chair has a large seat. Her knees don't make it all the way to the edge making it uncomfortable. She writes to the company telling them their chair is uncomfortable. They should make it better by shortening the seat.

Better in this case would only apply to her and a few others. The manufacturer is trying to make a chair comfortable for the other 80% of people with longer legs. Neither is wrong.

If the Lady said here is how you make this chair better Shorten the seat.

Her lack of understanding of the furniture business clearly shows. If we shorten the seat it will be uncomfortable for 80% of the people who buy it is the mindset of the manufacturer who does have an understanding of the furniture business. That understanding is why they are able to have a furniture business.

If you say this X feature or decision will make the game better. Does it make it better for you or a majority of players? Is it even possible given the constraints of the game engine, other systems within the game, or cost of implementation? You don't know because you don't design games for a living and have no experience in the industry and specifically with the design of this game. Yet you voice your opinion like it's the gospel.

You being the proverbial you... not a specific person.

Again I say "Get a grip on yourself and start your posts with Proof that your opinion matters.". Not just because your mommy and daddy told you all your life that you were great and that you can never do wrong.

#54 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:17 AM

Has this really devolved into "If you aren't a game developer, shut up?" Someone call Bishop, his criticism defense strategy has been stolen.

#55 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:36 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 14 February 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

There is no game, perhaps in the history of gaming that does what mwo does. It scratches the itch. THE itch. It doesn't scratch it well, and I constantly think of how much more satisfying it could be..but it still does something good. When MWO matches are fun, they are incredible. There's never been another game aside from maybe Alpha Centauri that I've been so engrossed in and dedicated to learning all the mechanics. I probably spend as much time in the lab just dicking around with builds as actually playing. Never had an MP (or eve sp) game really have that.

As well, there is no game or franchise that does what MW "could do" (PGI tho lol). There is so much goddamn potential here.

Eve We used to play as "corporate" teams at lunch !!! Are you kidding, there are still those corporate teams playing right now. With many of us retired......... There are a bunch of other long running MMOA's out there as well that are still supported and that have larger populations than MWO.

The best F2P ever? No. MWO had that opportunity six or so years ago and hosed it. They bit off way more than they could chew, gagged on it and panicked then their initial development cell left and the entire concept was drawn back into the arcade Single Player realm because it was all they could do........ This IP has the potential to be "one of the great F2P's" and all it lacks if the business and technical "vision" to accomplish it........

#56 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:47 AM

Asym,

While I don't agree with EVE being the best I agree that more people feel the same as you. I think MWO is the better. I've played EVE and couldn't get into it. Not because it's badly designed it's just not my cup of tea.

View PostBombast, on 15 February 2019 - 06:17 AM, said:

Has this really devolved into "If you aren't a game developer, shut up?" Someone call Bishop, his criticism defense strategy has been stolen.

I don't know who Bishop is but I like his style.

#57 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:55 AM

View PostEatit, on 15 February 2019 - 06:47 AM, said:

I don't know who Bishop is but I like his style.

Bishops is an extreme autistic (Not an insult, that's what he claims to be) who's so compromised he had to move to a country with a lower cost of living because he can't hold down a full time job. If you don't think his art style (he is a talented drawist) is your cup of tea, then it's his opinion that you should shut up and recreate the Mona Lisa if you're so smart.

But send beer money, please.

Edited by Bombast, 15 February 2019 - 06:58 AM.

#58 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:11 AM

I think I might even send that guy some beer money. Have we setup a go fund me for him?

#59 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:29 AM

View PostEatit, on 15 February 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

I think I might even send that guy some beer money. Have we setup a go fund me for him?

Sigh.

https://ko-fi.com/bishopsbeerfund

#60 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:34 AM

I don't know what qualifies as the best F2P game or what's "best", but story wise this game blows my mind.

Its also one of the richest F2P games with over $2 billion in gross revenue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users