- - - - -

Purchased Weapons For Other Mechs

8 replies to this topic

#1 Tokekin

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

This may be a dumb question, but I'm on my first mech. If I purchase a new weapon/engine etc.. for it, will I be able to use it on another mech (when I get around to purchasing a second one) or will I have to re-purchase the same weapon for the new mech? I'm just wondering how much I'm wasting my c-bills on trying different loadouts on my first mech? Thanks for the help.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

View PostTokekin, on 16 February 2019 - 08:59 PM, said:

This may be a dumb question, but I'm on my first mech. If I purchase a new weapon/engine etc.. for it, will I be able to use it on another mech (when I get around to purchasing a second one) or will I have to re-purchase the same weapon for the new mech? I'm just wondering how much I'm wasting my c-bills on trying different loadouts on my first mech? Thanks for the help.

If you keep it on the first mech, yes.
If you take it off the first mech, then no.

Note: Some mechs have limited ranges of engines (a minimum permitted and maximum permitted).
But they can be used on any mech that can accept the range, provided you took it off the first mech.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

Any weapons you remove get put in ...I can't remember if they called it a warehouse, stock or inventory. But basically you can pull it out of storage to reuse again on anything.

Note: Some engines are exclusive to one tech tree or the other (Standard is universal, LFE and XL is Inner Sphere only, Clan XL is Clan only. Weapons are locked to a tech tree, so an SRM for the IS is not the same as or compatible with ammo for an SRM of the Clans).

#4 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:32 PM

Any piece of equipment you buy for a 'Mech and then unequip, whether it's a weapon, heat sink, jump jet, engine, or omnipod, gets placed in your inventory and can be freely used on any other compatible 'Mech. Any Inner Sphere weapon may be used on any Inner Sphere 'Mech with the same hardpoint type, for example. If you buy a medium laser for your Warhammer, you can take it off the WHM and use it on a Flea, no problem. Likewise, if you buy a 280 LFE engine for your Warhammer, you can also use that same engine in your Roughneck (provided you remove it from the Warhammer first). You don't really need to worry much about compatibility, because when building a 'Mech the mechlab will only display equipment that is compatible with that 'Mech. You can view your entire stockpile of equipment by clicking on the inventory button at the top left under the "Home" tab.

You will need to buy every weapon you equip, though. Buying a weapon isn't an unlock which allows you to mount that weapon in any quantity you choose- you're paying for each individual piece of equipment.

You can also sell un-needed equipment through the inventory, but...

Now that loadouts can be saved and loaded in the mechlab, it is much more useful to keep a large stock of extra parts on hand, so that you can simply save and load different configurations without having to pay the cost of the relevant components multiple times. So, you will eventually want more than one of each common engine, and a reserve (6-10) of each weapon you use most often. Nearly anything you take off of a 'Mech will eventually find a home on another, so unless the component in question is a low-rated (under 250) Standard engine or a single heat sink, you should probably keep it in your inventory rather than selling it (since selling components only yields 50% of their purchase price). The cbill grind may seem harsh at first, and you may be tempted to cash in unused equipment... but while your mechbays are limited, your equipment inventory is not, and you will lose cbills on every item sold (since you'll have to grind 50% harder if you then want to re-buy the same item later).

Note: upgrades (Endo Steel, Ferro-Fibrous, Light Ferro-Fibrous, or Stealth armors, Artemis IV FCS, and Double Heat Sink capability) are applied on a per-'Mech basis. While any associated equipment (such as the heat sinks themselves, or Artemis-equipped missile launchers) can still be swapped between 'Mechs, you will have to pay the cost of each upgrade for every 'Mech you wish to apply it to unless that 'Mech comes with that upgrade stock.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 16 February 2019 - 10:34 PM.

#5 Tokekin

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 February 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

If you keep it on the first mech, yes.
If you take it off the first mech, then no.

Note: Some mechs have limited ranges of engines (a minimum permitted and maximum permitted).
But they can be used on any mech that can accept the range, provided you took it off the first mech.

Thanks for all the replies. I get it, so when I buy a weapon I buy 1 of it. If I want to have it simultaneously equipped on 2 mechs, I need to buy a second one. Perfect. Thanks again

#6 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

Their are web sites where you can play with mech builds and thus not use up any CB/MC in mech lab

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#7 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

I have 97 mechs but I only keep about 5-6 of them active. The rest I strip out everything. The ultimate cheapskate way to play MWO.

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

In addition to Smurfy (link above), you can theory-craft in the game without having to own any of the equipment or mech. I'm not sure if you can save your loadout by exporting it, but you can definitely import mech builds without having the necessary gear. Back to the store and theory-crafting-if you have the funds, you might be able to buy what you build. I actually haven't tried it, but I think it give you the option? Instead of buying mechs stock. Maybe not.

#9 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

smurfy is great, and packed with info (esp. the quirk list and ghost heat tables), but it's also worth checking out MechDB, since that site offers the ability to export build codes that can be loaded in the game client.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users