7 replies to this topic

#1 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

Suggestion: Enhanced PPC nodes
2 nodes on the firepower tree that do the following:

-0.5 heat per node for firing a PPC (Light PPC, PPC, Heavy PPC, Snub Nose PPC, ER PPC, and cER PPC) for a total of -1 heat. So a Light PPC would generate 4 heat and a cER PPC would generate 13.5 heat. This occurs after any percentage reductions to heat.

They also add heat to the enemy mech struck by them based on the heat after the -1 reduction but before other adjustments. Perhaps 10% of the remaining heat (5% per node). So 13.5 would inflict 1.35 heat on an enemy mech. The cap for this heat amount can go up to 95% instead of 90% as a flamer would. A light ppc would add 0.4 heat to the enemy mech.

#2 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

Yeah PPCs are so underpowered right now you hardly ever see them used and really need this buff.

#3 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

View PostCichol Balor, on 28 January 2021 - 08:46 AM, said:

Yeah PPCs are so underpowered right now you hardly ever see them used and really need this buff.

I'd say that's a good thing, you don't want enemies to be able to see where you're firing from as easily.

#4 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:00 AM

Hello there, account redo v1....... I could go for the Heat Generation Reduction when firing ANY Variant of PPC that you propose. :)

However, the Flamer-Like Heat Application seems a tad overpowered, and I can see where it would become a problem in game balance, particularly for newer players in Trial Mechs who are still trying to learn the game. I think that part of your idea is not so good, and should not happen because of those overall effects against the New Player Experience in general. Having the potential to Stun-Lock any New Player who hasn't learned to watch their Heat into a repeated Shutdown state would only result in their giving up on MWO and leaving again, which we simply do not need because we need a growing population. :(

Is there any chance the proposed idea could instead change to something that replaces the Flamer-Like Heat Application occurring with something else, such as one or more of the following...
  • Minimum Range Reduction from 90 Meters down to 68 Meters at a change of 11 Meters Per Node (I might have suggested taking this one a little further, but I had to think about the Snub-Nose PPC still having its' place on the battlefields)
  • Splash Damage from ANY Variant of PPC increased by 1 Damage Per Node (including PPC Variants that do not deal Splash Damage already)
  • PPC Impact ECM Disruption increasing from 7 seconds to 10 seconds at a change of 1.5 Seconds Per Node
  • PPC Impact Screen Shake increase by up to 15% from what value it currently has now, at a change of 7.5% Increased Shake Per Node
...so that we don't end up pushing away New Players who could potentially stick around? All four of those above options should be more compatible with both the New Player Experience and the current game design, but avoid being OverPowered by any severe margin. Also, if one were to bond Heat Application into PPC characteristics, then the Flamer would ultimately lose its' point in the game mechanics, and I think ruining that would be a bad idea. :mellow:

~D. V. "trying to help your 'Enhanced PPC Nodes' Idea to avoid burning down" Devnull

#5 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:10 AM

The objective of the heat part is to provide a sort of stopping power similar to a face full of explosions but in a different way. To make enemies hesitate or slow down. Another idea I had was how mw4 vengeance had ppcs frazzle your display for a second after impact. Perhaps shutting off the HUD for 0.5 seconds (0.125 seconds per node per ppc) with erppc and hppc (maybe .3 seconds for 2 snub and regular, .21 seconds for 3 light). Similar to a shutdown, but only visual. Target locks aren't lost, zoom is retained, you can still move and shoot, etc. Fewer ppcs would cause this effect for less time.

Other than that, the extra splash damage is an alternative I'd go with. Screen shake is intimidating, but I'd take extra damage over that. Particularly when getting high damage scores can be difficult at times without something like the vapor eagle.

Edited by account redo v1, 29 January 2021 - 10:14 AM.

#6 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:47 AM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 29 January 2021 - 10:10 AM, said:

The objective of the heat part is to provide a sort of stopping power similar to a face full of explosions but in a different way. To make enemies hesitate or slow down. Another idea I had was how mw4 vengeance had ppcs frazzle your display for a second after impact. Perhaps shutting off the HUD for 0.5 seconds (0.125 seconds per node per ppc) with erppc and hppc (maybe .3 seconds for 2 snub and regular, .21 seconds for 3 light). Similar to a shutdown, but only visual. Target locks aren't lost, zoom is retained, you can still move and shoot, etc. Fewer ppcs would cause this effect for less time.

Other than that, the extra splash damage is an alternative I'd go with. Screen shake is intimidating, but I'd take extra damage over that. Particularly when getting high damage scores can be difficult at times without something like the vapor eagle.

Out of curiosity, have you seen what happens with some of the display parts when Screen Shake happens? It's somewhat similar to being frazzled, even though it happens to be short-lived. :o

I think shutting off the HUD would be too extreme, though. It might make someone think that their computer had been hacked and/or that the game had a severe fault in it. They might even try to hit F7 to restore it, and not realize that they had accidentally knocked it out completely. That definitely would not be fun. :(

Yeah, it looks like the Splash Damage Booster would probably be an idea which we both could best get along with. That might just be the one to complete the suggestion's specification. :)

~D. V. "Screen Shake already frazzles... brief HUD Disable would be overkill... Splash Damage seems the best" Devnull

#7 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 29 January 2021 - 10:10 AM, said:

It does make your screen go fuzzy it also shuts off your ECM

Again how are ppcs, one of the most used systems in the game, that some would argue are still a bit to strong after several nerfs in need of a buff. You still haven't explained that.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:52 PM

ppcs should always disrupt ecm even inside min range all the way to the max range, and disruption should be increased. add a node to the sensor or weapon tree to boost ppc disruption time. disruption would also affect sensors of non-ecm mechs for a few seconds after getting hit (as if in an ecm disruption field).

do devnull's splash upgrade node. and make the snub splash 2 points by default.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users