How Do You Aim Atm's?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:13 AM

I've seen this with several ATM boats and I can't figure it out...I like the idea of ATM's and have tried them out a few times but I just do splash damage all over the bad guy. The guys firing them at me, though, are nailing my legs with every volley.

#2 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:33 AM

Annihilators get legged if they get shot by missiles. You don't have much control where they go unless you predict like a god or they stand still.

#3 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

Well, I'm not driving an ANH...but even in testing grounds shooting at stationary targets, with the appropriate missile skill nodes, I still just splash all over the target.

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 19 February 2019 - 05:13 AM, said:

I've seen this with several ATM boats and I can't figure it out...I like the idea of ATM's and have tried them out a few times but I just do splash damage all over the bad guy. The guys firing them at me, though, are nailing my legs with every volley.

ATMs are like LRMs in the fact that they are homing missiles (unless fired without a lock). This means you can not control where they go once launched and thus can not "aim" them. I will comment that ATMs seem to favor hitting legs a lot more than they probably should, especially on moving targets. Where ATMs will hit is influenced by how the target is moving. If they are backing away or running sideways, the missiles are more likely to hit legs. If they are charging straight at the ATM launchers, they are typically more likely to be hit in the torso/upper body.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

ATMs focus CT more than anything else in terms of their spread cone etc etc.

Thus is you twist then then simply end up going towards legs because they are still going for that middle point of the mech. If the mech is not twisting you will rarely, if ever, hit legs as a result.

#6 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 19 February 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

ATMs focus CT more than anything else in terms of their spread cone etc etc.

Thus is you twist then then simply end up going towards legs because they are still going for that middle point of the mech. If the mech is not twisting you will rarely, if ever, hit legs as a result.

I miss when ATMs focused the crotch more than CT, it actually differentiated them more and gave each type a purpose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users