Weapons And You.

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Weapons poll. (29 member(s) have cast votes)

With of these weapons would you like to see in game soon.

1. NLRM= Enhanced LRM. (6 votes [7.23%])

Percentage of vote: 7.23%

2. VSP laser= Variable Speed Pulse Laser (6 votes [7.23%])

3. LAC=Light Auto Cannon (12 votes [14.46%])

Percentage of vote: 14.46%

4. MM=Mech mortar (12 votes [14.46%])

5. TAC= Thumper Artillery cannon (7 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

6. SAP=Sniper Artillery Piece (6 votes [7.23%])

7. None of the above, we dont need no stinkin new weapons (5 votes [6.02%])

Percentage of vote: 6.02%

8. HAG=Hyper assult Gauss (12 votes [14.46%])

9. X-pulse lasers (11 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

10. Thunder Bolt (6 votes [7.23%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

Here again with another idea.

So as we know we have a wide array of weapons with in MWO, But there is still many weapons with could find a home with in mech warrior.

1. NLRM= Enhanced LRM.

The Enchanced LRM was a response to the CLAN lrms, These Lrms had their minimum range reduced by as little by 50% or greater. This allowed IC mechs to engage mechs at a much shorter ranger while still being able to relay on the armament they had.

2.VSP laser= Variable Speed Pulse Laser Is a family of lasers with appeared during Jihad. The acted similarly to SNPPC's firing a short bolt of energy. Becouse of how it was modified it could alter the pulses it fired at to allow more damage at shorter ranged, But damage and hit probability suffered at range.

3.LAC=Light Auto Cannon

Light Autocannons were cannons who have been lighten through production anywere from haveing being had barrel lengths shorten or even diffrences in casting and materials, The ned result was a weapon with was lighter then their normal AC brothers while also allowing them to take up to much less slots. This allowed mechs to carry a few more tons of ammo or even another gun but at the cost of a range drop off.

Atillery

Ok so i have been with MWO since this game had started way back. And I was always sad by the fact the only arty we had came in the from of a consumable. Well I have some here with could be mounted on a mech with not too much of an issue while also giving ballistic mechs a new role to fill.

4.MM=Mech mortar

Mortars have been around since the early child hood of man kind, since the early days of gunpowder and war in one fashion or another. But as technology Grew and surpassed the mortar remained, Cheap reliable and always able to be taken with a squad it was only a matter of time before they would be adapted to mechs, Working much the same was as LRMS they could provide in direct attacks on enemy locations, The down side was the mortar had half the range of an lrm and could only fire up to eight mortars at a time compared to larger LRM salvos. But It did make up for this in two ways, Mortars had a much more adaptable payload open to them from armor piercing, thermal smoke, to Chaff and semi guided shells but what really made them shine was the discoverly that ams systems were unable to targer the smaller mortar shells allowing them to pass through ams systems.

5.TAC= Thumper Artillery cannon
Artillery much like mortar's have also been around since the early years of man, so just like its little brother it was only a matter of time before artillery cannons were mounter on battle mechs.

The TAC, or Thumber artillery cannon was a scaled down Artillery piece ment to be mounted on battle mechs and other combat vehicles. Much like when firing lrms, you would have to lock on to your target and allow the targeting computer adjust the fireing path for the Artillery shell.

Artillery being what it was, was never something that was accurate but would use the splash damage it provided to damage moving mechs. But a well trained pilot could easly hit slow moveing or even sitting targets with easy for a great deal of damage.

6.SAP=Sniper Artillery Piece

Like its bigger brother, the SAP is an artillery piece with was mounted on many mechs and combat vehicles. Unlike Its big brother the Tac, SAP's were more easily used for direct and indirect fire, being fired more like a large AC more so then just an artillery piece. It still suffered from the inaccercy of Artillery when hitting fast moving targets, but a with the right pilot the SAP could be used to devstating effect.

Additons.

7.HAG=hyper assult gauss

Like the IC, the clans pushed foward to try and keep ahead of the IC in the tech race. One of their many fruits of their labor was the HAG, Useing the basic design of the IC heavy Gauss, they would utilize multable compasters and barrles to fire gauss slugs like a Rotory Ac. The resulting rate of fire allowed it to dispence large amounts of damager on IC battle mechs

8. X-pulse lasers

X-pulse lasers were develpoed in responce to the clan invasions, The ic Sought to match the range of the clan Pulse weapons from captured clan mechs. This was an upgrade to Pulse Lasers that pushes extra energy through the system in order to extend the range. X-Pulse lasers also build up tremendous heat but this has been considered a necessary drawback for their extended range.

9.thunder bolt.

This weapon platform was created for use in the Solaris VII arena. The launcher fired a single high mass missile with could cause considerable damage on enemy mechs but, was far more likely to be shot down by AMS systems. Later on the thunderbolt launcher would be modified and altered to fire in 5,10,15, and 20 salvo launchers. Thou bulkly and hard to install they could only fit in the right and left torso of a mech.

Edited by LDTorroc, 24 February 2019 - 08:33 AM.

#2 Smutty

• PipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:53 AM

You know there's more than just Thumper Cannons and Sniper Artillery Pieces in the howitzer/arty repertoire, right? Thumper Cannons, Sniper Cannons, and Long Tom Cannons are all Mech-mountable. Realistically only the LTC is worth a damn (if you're translating directly from TT) but w/e. There's also Thumper Artillery Pieces. LTAPs obviously can't fit on a Mech due to being 30 slots.

Now, assuming PGI did something as ridiculous as ignore TT construction rules, we could also talk about Arrow IV which is probably the most widely-seen Mech-scale artillery weapon. Plus it comes in Clan flavours in case you want to play Nagas and ruin peoples' days.

Not really sure why you excluded HAGs when they would be the most obvious next step for Clantech in MWO. Plus don't forget about X-Pulse Lasers (even though they suck) and Thunderbolt missiles (which would be my personal choice). There's also ELRMs but they kind of really suck. A lot. 300m minimum range anybody?

#3 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

Not quite excluding but more so making a list. Im open to see more ideas that anyone would like to put foward, as for the ELRM... that 300m range restriction would be a major pain in the *** with how i play, but if they had an enhanced speed with their flight? well i could see alot of lrm boats useing them just because they want to stay as far away as they could to be light chowder.

frist post updated as well as poll.

#4 Smutty

• PipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

Personally I don't think ELRMs would have a real place in MWO, not the least to say that they would heavily encourage passive play and staying as far away from being useful on the front line as possible. NLRMs might be fine though. A 90m min range would be appreciated for anyone with tonnage/slots to spare, although those tend to be a concern for IS Mechs

Thunderbolts on the other hand would be fantastic. Similarly weak to AMS like ATMs but capable of delivering pinpoint damage out of missile hardpoints. How PGI would implement them would determine their real usefulness, as a "lore-accurate" Thunderbolt would operate like a LRM launcher, that is, a lock-on system capable of defeating terrain with indirect fire. However that kind of defeats the purpose of the T-Bolt being a pinpoint weapon.

Also we can't forget MMLs. MMLs would most likely operate like ATMs. Depending on your distance, the missile damage (and perhaps flight characteristics) changes. I would imagine that they would have no min range to make up for the lack of ATM-style HE ammunition. Of course, the lack of alternative ammunition at all in MWO limits the flexibility of MML launchers but I'm sure they could still be serviceable.

#5 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:53 AM

I think thunderbolts may be a good idea as a response to the clan ATMS honistly, with a much tighter spread to count for the pinpoint precision they had.

As for MML's... I think the Thunderbolt would be a better course of action in this regards, haveing no min range for a ML would be nice, but its not entirely required so long as your team and you are doing what you need to be doing.

NLRM's I could ONLY see being viable if we started to see planet wide combats, on matchs with were something similar to what WOT has going with its frontline game mode, were its twelve maps slammed together each measuring 1000x1000m, with a total of 30 players to a team rather then formal format. I know that kind of map is small for Mech warroir but if we took say or ten canyon maps and slamed them togeather with the ability to take a drop deck in a pub match i think it would be something little more intresting.

#6 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:24 AM

HAG's only IS doesn't need more weapons they have enough...

#7 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:21 PM

The thing is, Clans and their own versions of almost every single one of these. So honistly with the next big CLAN/IS clash these weapons could be distributed between both of them

#8 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:44 AM

Well, I would take all of them, minus artillery (maybe if we could get UM-AIV with this baby...) for some reasons and/or conditions, so:
  • NLRM. Unlike ELRM (which would have effective range of 1350m with doubled bulk, minimum range and reduced ammo per ton, along with incompatibility with Artemis IV), makes sense in close range against Clan Lurmboats;
  • VSPxL. IS Only. I don't really know if it should be done in the way that within Optimal range have higher dmg than xPL, and sharper damage drop in falloff range. But this is what I would envision, based on the description;
  • LAC's. IS Only. This family is A MUST, especially that IS currently have a large hole between 1 and 6 tons bracket.
    I would also recommend to introduce HVAC's for longer range, but less ammo per ton;
  • MM. Also a must, since it would fit nicely to both Clans and IS. But should have a much shorter cooldown (at least equal to SRM's) to be competitive. Minimum range like in LRM's wouldn't help them;
  • HAG's. Clan Only. Good Clan answer to IS HGR and RAC's (for a while for latter, since Clans would introduce their experimental version just year later than HAG). 20, 30 and 40 variants. Would approve, if IS would get SBGR (Silver Bullet, a true Gauss LBX-15) and IHGR (Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle, 3 dmg less than HGR and 2 tons more [locust/piranha/flea packed into gun lol], but with improved optimal range (effectively optimal replaces falloff range of HGR).
  • XPxL. IS Only variant of enhanced range Pulse Lasers. Would approve if Clans ger ERPxL (ER Pulse Lasers).
  • Tbolt-5/20. IS Only. Why after reading the description and playing MW4:V I'm very certain that Thunderbolt Missiles are just like actual MwO AC/5-20 ammo, but with rocket booster strapped on them? :P
    And yeah, easier job for AMS decreses interest for the weapon family...

#9 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:49 AM

There was no option for "none of the above, but do want more weapons". In my poll, Relooking at Flamers. One of the options would be relatable to here. Inferno LRMs... Would also like to mention plasma rifle, er flamers, heavy flamers as well. Inferno lrms and plasma rifle maybe since there is much more risk of missing the opponent, thus no 100% chance heat will occur to enemy mech.

I have talked with a lot of players on flamers, those who actually use them see how underpowered they are. The ones usually against don't use them at all...

Maybe X-pulse lasers I might want, so I will vote on that.

Edited by SockSlayer, 09 June 2021 - 04:53 PM.

#10 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:52 PM

Also, and maybe this should be a bug report, why even if you chain fire the flamers do all of them still incur heat ramp up, should it be only for the one that is firing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users