No replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

There was a note earlier in the "I think its a mistake" thread about MW5 about the issues with managing so many weapon groups at once. This post was originally going to go there as a way of showing how design could have been done to greatly mitigate that by just using the weapon variant system, but I've decided it would be more useful as its own separate discussion as it bleeds into weapon/equipment variants and Battletech fluff and MW5 mods.

This gives the backstory, if you want the briefest view of the thread, skip to "This thread has several" and read from there.
Spoiler

This thread has several purposes and will probably be renamed soon.

One is to find, host, discuss, and share any details known about any fluff-based weapon variant as well as bring up, share and clear up any misconceptions about the way weapons work (for example the Light SRM shoulder, Heavy SRM one barrel launcher, Heavy SRM two barrel launcher, Man-portable SRM launcher and the vehicle/mech standard SRM which all do 2 damage, despite one end having 5 lb missiles and the other end having 16 lb missiles..) (Detail 1. Detail 2. Will bring that over to this thread later.)

Two, share ideas for how to tweak MW5/HBS BT's (likely in MW5's case) flat upgrade system into a side-grade system where weapons have both advantages and disadvantages over each other, rather than being flat out superior.

Three, add some potential flavor to weapon variants that simply lack anything distinguishing them out in order to fill some niche or purpose.

Four, to find lore-based solutions to any issues that weapon variants either have or may have that could break them.

And all of this without outright replacing them with unlore-friendly modern day systems (I'll leave that to Karl's thread which does that very well and have little doubt Karl may make his own mod/set of mods to bend MW5 in his own way. Myself, I'm going for a true-to-fluff Battletech sim).

(I will populating the thread with more posts between today and tomorrow.)

Edited by Koniving, 02 March 2019 - 05:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users