One Thing A Veteran Will Tell You.

56 replies to this topic

#1 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:33 PM

I know I'm a scrub, if I see a legendary founder on the field, I stay at their 7 and follow their lead. I am at the same time, the happiest guy in the world that this community exists. And yes. I was the guy in Battlefield 42 dropping ammo for you because I couldn't hit a bull in the a** with a handful of peas. We seem to be having an influx of players into MWO. So I thought it would be fun if the really big dogs of war would give one tip to new players.

As a guy that played TT, and a guy that many of you have dropped with, I will share mine, and I think it would be awesome if we had a thread dedicated to the basics. I'm starting the thread, so as a guy that actually has Roy Fokker watching me while I am making my morning coffee, I'm going to share the first two, in my humble opinion.

#1 Never sell a chassis. It could get a buff on a weapon system you haven't even heard of YET.

#2 Get a mike. I don't know how to say this in the TOS, because I'm gonna name the greatest MechWarrior I have met. RWTumbleweed , I hope it passes, because I am complimenting him. He lives to hear the words "Weapons Online" That is my kind of pilot.

Again I admit I am not good. I would love to hear from the experts 3,4,5,6 and seven.

Share anything you know, big dogs.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

I've been around for a while, but certainly not a top tier player.

My best advise is: It's a game, don't forget to have fun.

#3 Pheydra Sagan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

To echo Teunie. Have so much fun. I have been playing for a very long time and my skill level is horrible. I still keep coming back to MWO because it is so much fun.

One other piece of advice. Lock targets. It gets info back to your team and lets anybody with LRMs rain down on the enemy.

#4 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:03 PM

Keep your wallet closed, if your gonna put money into MWO take it from the cushions only.

#5 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

Stay with the group. It may sound dumb if they are all going the wrong way but going off by yourself will surely get you killed. Fast lights that know what they are doing can venture off on thier own but even then it can end badly at a Streakcrow's hands. Worry less about the mission and kill the other guys. Dont bother capping on assault missions. Theres lots of time on conquest missions on most maps to cap after most enemys are dead. Taking a good position is better on most maps than running into the pee stain circle for domination. And remember to fire your weapons early and often at the bad guys. Its not a static game. Mechs have legs for a reason.

#6 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

As my old Gunny used to say "F*** fair". In other words, never get into a fair fight. Always go in with overwhelming firepower, numbers or tactics. Don't get into 1:1 fights if you can avoid it. Put more firepower on a target than they are putting on you. Even if you don't know what to shoot at, try and shoot what the other team members are shooting at and focus fire.

Another thing... Communicate! Don't just go silent thinking your team members can read your mind or tactics. Comms people!!! The game was built for it! Spend the money on a headset or mic and start talking.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

*Grabs a guy named Mike.* Got one. Got a Mic(rophone) too.

#8 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:22 AM

Stay and fight besides the larger mechs for as long as possible and not behind it for obvious reason.

#9 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:27 AM

Scrub here, too...but been playing MW:O ( my first mechWarrior title ) since CB, and keep coming back and bingeplaying it after several hiati of varying duration...just 'cos I like playing it so much . SInce "Lock Targets" (hit "R") and overwhelm enemies ( you never want a fair fight ) have already been mentioned, I would like to add :

Check your Minimap frequently ( like, as often as you can ) .
Use the command wheel to "Target spotted" a locked Target ( it gets marked on minimap, and its movement can be seen for a while after lock is lost ) .
Learn about armlock, what it does, and how to use/not use it .
Adjust your mousesensitivity .

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:30 AM

Shoot your team mates target!

When team mate is engaged wid enemy shoot his target, don't wait, focus fire will happen by accident

Don't get angry, get even hehehe, how , watch top performers on wins and losses, spectate them, learn dae wae's

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 March 2019 - 03:31 AM.

#11 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:44 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 March 2019 - 03:30 AM, said:

Shoot your team mates target!

When team mate is engaged wid enemy shoot his target, don't wait, focus fire will happen by accident

Don't get angry, get even hehehe, how , watch top performers on wins and losses, spectate them, learn dae wae's

in addition to that : get rid of the idea of "KillStealing" . It is useless in MW:O . Does not matter who gets the kill, as long as it goes down !

Edited by Besh, 09 March 2019 - 03:45 AM.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

• If you need more than three weapon groups to operate your mech, you're doing it wrong. (And you should really keep it down to two - I'm not counting special groups you set up for an extra, just the ones NEEDED to access your every weapon)
  • 3 weapon types is really the max.
  • Focus your weapons loadout on 1 range bracket
  • If your build has 2 range brackets, they should be complimentary to one another.

Edited by Horseman, 09 March 2019 - 10:27 AM.

#13 Asylum Choir

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

#1:Do not hide or cower. Your team mates are NOT your personal shields.
#2:Pay attention to where the pew pew is coming from on an enemy mech, nail that component first.
#3:Be EFFICIENT with your damage, don;t splatter your lazorz everywhere. Big damage numbers don't always mean you did well. Games are won by you taking enemies out faster than you can take them out. If player A does 600 damage per game but doesn't kill anything, but player B does 300 per game but kills 3 mechs by being efficient, player B will win more.
#4: Build your mechs COOL. Making lolpha monsters isn't always the best way.
#5: Build FAST. If you are slow, you are a target, you can get rushed easier. You can't reposition. You are a liability to your team. Mobility is KING.

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 09 March 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

If player A does 600 damage per game but doesn't kill anything, but player B does 300 per game but kills 3 mechs by being efficient, player B will win more.

I just wanted to leave that getting the killing shot isn't indicative of efficient damage. If the 600 damage person has 12 assists, 4 KMDDs and no kills, they very well could have landed their damage well, but someone else secured the kill.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement that where you land damage is important.

#15 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

PGI, congrats. There are a LOT of new players on the field. The drops are all gong shows, but it has added some life, and some really big fun when our teams have managed to pull the irons out of the fire.

It is ABSOLUTELY imperative that you know the minimum range on your weapon systems. I would have thought that this was too simple to even say, but unlike other shooters, the Reds get a readout so they can see what you are running. I have seen some really really critical situations, where newbros (that is what we call new players in EVE, affectionately) have great builds, tons of armour left, and a chance to win the game for us, but due to having no idea of what they are firing, it is a complete botch job. I never get angry at players, everyone has to learn. And that is fine. Nobody expects a Knight Errant to pull a Miamoto Mushashi and kill seven men single handed. That said, you are going to get a lot of grief from your own team if you don't know your weapon systems, and because of being out of position, because you are newer, (which is not your fault until you learn the maps), you have 92% armour, it is 3 vs 2 and you close to under minimum range of YOUR OWN FIREPOWER and get yourself killed. I'm not going to post minimum ranges. Go into the mechlab and understand your weapon systems.

Don't panic. Hold until your weapons will hurt the Reds. View your heat scale as ammunition. And view the O key as your back up .32 ACP ankle gun, and use it.

Edited by AureliusDean, 15 March 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

minimum ranges:
PPC- 90m
LPPC- 90m
LRM(any)- 180m
CLRM(any)- deals reduced damage within 180m.
ATM(any)- 120m
Rockets(any)- 50m (I think)

#17 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

Lets see, have fun. Um, have fun

don't run off on your own.

Stay with the group.

for now run AMS on weekends for the rain or during certain events.

never get into a fair fight. Learn to use local superiority. 4 on 1 works well. Then when you are up 6 it does not matter.

learn to LRM, Dakka, Laser boat, SRM boomer, Streak boomer and some mixes.

try to only have two weapon keys or at most 3 (I have a few with 4 out of over 250 mechs)

learn to use cover to mask your movements. like running behind the crest of the ridge, also called the intervisablity line or IV line.

Learn the maps, by running around in the training grounds. I took a 6 v1 on alpine peaks for a win, just by knowing where to set up. Still only got 7 kills that match.

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:01 AM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 09 March 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

#1:Do not hide or cower. Your team mates are NOT your personal shields

#1:Do not hide or cower. Your team mates are NOT your personal shields.
Unless their really bad and you need their armour to carry the win. FOR THE WIN and extra $50,oooo YAY

Then its ok

#19 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 314 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:18 PM

New players shouldn't start with Assault mechs.

#20 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

If you're scared of taking fire, don't play an Assault mech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users