One Thing A Veteran Will Tell You.

56 replies to this topic

#21 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

1. Camo exists to make your mech less visible. Painting it orange or pink will not help you on the battlefield.
2. Know yourself & know your enemy. Knowledge is power. Know the strong and weak points of your own mech, adjust your build and skill tree to them. Memorize DPH and optimal range values of the commonly used weapons, so you could compare your own and enemies build before engaging.
3. Play your own game. Use your strengths and enemies weaknesses.
4. If you are playing as a team - communicate before the fight to take mechs with similar optimal range, speed and dps. Ideally - of the same chassis and camo, so your enemy would fail to focus you down.

#22 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

Also want to add:

Do NOT stop at the top of a narrow ramp-People can't get past you and if you're humping the ridge for cover, invariably someone will come up behind you and prevent you from backing up. That's going to result in a cluster, you dieing, or taking your team mate's firepower out of the engagement until they can reposition.

Edited by TheWarhammer, 27 March 2019 - 03:07 PM.

#23 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostTheWarhammer, on 27 March 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Also want to add:

Do NOT stop at the top of a narrow ramp-People can't get past you and if you're humping the ridge for cover, invariably someone will come up behind you and prevent from backing up. That's going to result in a cluster, you dieing, or taking your team mate's firepower out of the engagement until they can reposition.

Do NOT stop anywhere where it blocks your teammates from advancing. I've seen this idiocy kill multiple leftside pushes on Grim Portico attack.

#24 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostTheWarhammer, on 27 March 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Also want to add:

Do NOT stop at the top of a narrow ramp-People can't get past you and if you're humping the ridge for cover, invariably someone will come up behind you and prevent you from backing up. That's going to result in a cluster, you dieing, or taking your team mate's firepower out of the engagement until they can reposition.

Poking ramps is usefull so I suggest tell the guy (with words or guns ;) not to block rather than lose a handy tactic.

#25 Catnium

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

my 2 cents

Watch TTB and Baradul on youtube to l2p the basic's
since they both go quite in depth into their builds. and strategies
you will also pick up on a lot of meta stuff like which weapons to use and wat skill nodes to take and why.

Edited by Catnium, 03 April 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#26 Thiccacuga

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

If you're planning to buy a mech make sure you know what you're gonna do with it before you buy. Nothing wrong with a little research on builds.

Oh, and be nice to light mechs.

#27 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:48 AM

There was no ammo dropping in Battlefield 1942......

#28 Tongo Rad

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

If you are a light, there is nothing more fun than wolfpacking.

#29 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:39 AM

I have to say tha RWTumbleweed drive me crazy at times. But honestly, I talk alot myself. And it is totally wrong to repress someone else who is using their Mic.

I use a 14-15 year old dication mic that I found in a box of old electronics so there is no excuse not to have one. I use a 10 year old set of light Sony headphones and I just clamp the mic down on it. I have a fancy helmet but it is too heavy and I like to hear what is going on around me in RL.

When you get use to it start to talk. I've been talking more and more depending on what Teir my player is. You want to point out mistakes, after you earn the maps also break down each plan on conquest match/maps/ All but one follow a script.

Look for a traget that you and at least one friend can attack. Never try to atttck when you are outweighed. Think that every game is math. Your 50 ton meh cannot defeat 3 40 ton mechs. I'm learning to run.

I play conquest like this. The first part is a race. You get 3 out of 5 points and then play the game.

Some great points have been made. MWO is not about one on one battles, it is about finding or making 2 on1 or 3 on 1 battles.

A lot of players seem to have a problem undertanding standing next to each other so everyone can fire. You can get behind someone. But what I do is I watch his feet. Whe he starts to move back, i move back faster.

Do play your build and your game. Record your games to improve. Then look for the instant you went wrong.

Do you try to save osone that has messed up. You will just get both of you killed.

#30 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:25 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 23 July 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

I have to say tha RWTumbleweed drive me crazy at times. But honestly, I talk alot myself. And it is totally wrong to repress someone else who is using their Mic.
There's repression and there's keeping the comms for combat use when we're trying to coordinate our teams. :P
Nothing wrong with chatter and banter at the start or when the match is ending, ofc.

#31 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

My most important advice is to remember that you're playing what is effectively a small-unit armored fighting vehicle simulator, so you have to play like it. That means playing to the strengths of your mech and the mechs around you, while attempting to play up the weak aspects of the enemy team.

Mech advantages over tanks in Battletech can be boiled down to one fundamental area-mobility. Mechs can wiggle and wriggle and shake off a surprising amount of incoming fire as long as they are not being hugged to death by 'friendly' mechs. That means that you should always avoid sharing cover, if you are near a mech with a longer range profile you need to be aware and avoid blocking their fire opportunities. Don't run past a Rifleman or a Grasshopper and stay on front of them, step aside and give each other the clearance to fight for the whole match. Don't crowd the mechs that are firing, and don't cross the mechs that are locked in a fire support duel. Don't assume that a mech is safe to stand on or behind or in front of just because it hasn't fired or moved in a few seconds. Chances are high that they have a shot lined up and if you cross or impede their ability to shift about, you could allow an enemy mech to escape or land free hits against your team.

Also, try to figure out which build archetypes and playstyles suit you best. Learn the fundamentals and then develop your own style. Meta for a long time has been on high alpha laser work, because it is extremely effective for a certain comp/faction-compatible playstyle.

But that's not the only way to grease down an enemy. For instance I tend to like cool-running DPS builds when the map allows for it. My favorite mech is the always-undervalued Rifleman, and the builds I use most are ones I haven't seen anyone else using. But they work, because the mounts and builds match my playstyle beautifully, and because as a 60-tonner it forces you to bring a lot of design focus to your mech lab. Weapons I would not have tried on a heavier mech (small laser) proved to be ideal counterparts to the main guns of my *PPC and LB10x builds.

The Rifleman doesn't catch much attention, but it ticks lots of boxes for me. It's not fast, it's not massively armored, its firepower is super respectable, and the mounts are perfect.

#32 Electroflameageddon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

Communications and teamwork are OP. Use them and win.

Play Urbanmechs. They are one of the best assault mechs in the game.

#33 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

Be patient.

There is a time and a place to be aggressive. Most players seem to think it is all the time. It is not.

#34 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

Timidity is not a tactic. Run hot, or die.

#35 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

Get comfortable firing all your guns at once.

I can always spot a new or casual player by how they fire their weapons. A good player will build most of their mechs and play them in a way so that he can dump his damage on his opponent as quickly as possible. A new or casual player will do this thing where he will fire his different guns sequentially. Large lasers, then medium lasers, then the LB10X.

This is a very bad thing to do for a number of reasons:

1. It forces you to be exposed in the open longer so you take more damage.
2. It gives your opponent more time to get under cover, or torso twist before you go through your sequence.
3. It makes it harder to focus your damage on a single component.
4. It lowers your damage significantly

Granted, not all weapons fire well together when a target is moving across your screen. However, when the situation allows it your default should be to Alpha Strike.

Edited by Jman5, 30 July 2019 - 03:03 PM.

#36 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

On that note, it's important to avoid conflicting weapon systems. If you're using Streaks in conjunction with a front-loaded weapon like an AC/20, you're doing it wrong.

#37 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:45 PM

PS: this is because a slow-firing weapon allows you to shield your torsos with an arm by twisting it away from the enemy - while lock-on weapons need you to stare at the target to maintain the lock.

#38 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:13 AM

As important as the minimum range is know your max range. While you ideally want to shoot in optimal range there is no harm doing early damage with your weapons as that small amount of damage could mean a torso pops sooner than it normally would later in the game. But when you have LRMs and are shooting at a target 1350m away ... you are wasting ammo. I've had to tell people pretty much every day to stop firing at stuff that a light found but is well beyond 99% of weapons max range. It also can give away your position.

Cover is your friend.

#39 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:12 PM

Look for sales. I've bought individual Mechs, Mechpacks, and XP during sales or two for one offers.

Premium time is worth having for the CB and XP bonuses.

#40 Herr Schutte

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 23 July 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

I understand. The comms are needed and I don't need to hear every time he turns his mech a different direction. I just started playing again recently and I am very gratefully there is a mute button for matches he is in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users