One Thing A Veteran Will Tell You.

56 replies to this topic

#41 Menzoberranzan

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:51 AM

If you do not have a microphone, or refuse to use the one you have, uninstall the game.

#42 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:56 AM

View PostMenzoberranzan, on 23 October 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

If you do not have a microphone, or refuse to use the one you have, uninstall the game.

Strongly disagree.

You do not need to have nor use a mic to do well with this game. You can work together even without comms. We use to do it in the past without much issue...

#43 Menzoberranzan

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostTesunie, on 23 October 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Strongly disagree.

You do not need to have nor use a mic to do well with this game. You can work together even without comms. We use to do it in the past without much issue...

I completely disagree. You must be able to communicate with your team. If you are not using a microphone this is impossible to do effectively. If you refuse to use a microphone, you are a liability to your team.

#44 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

View PostMenzoberranzan, on 23 October 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

I completely disagree. You must be able to communicate with your team. If you are not using a microphone this is impossible to do effectively. If you refuse to use a microphone, you are a liability to your team.

So... "uninstall the game if you don't play MY way".

Yeeeeeeaaah. Have fun with that.

Shall I remind how many years we went without any comms in game, and having to resort to just the in game text?

I also think your message is a little... incorrect. It's often not as much about communication on the individual level, but hearing and attemping to follow with presented plans from fellow players. It's better to have one person on mic calling a drop, than everyone on mic talking over each other "because use your mic or uninstall".

Oh. Should I also point out the monetary flaw if your statement? Not everyone has the income to afford a mic. Not everyone is in a position to talk with a mic ("I have a sleeping child in the room next to me", etc). Not everyone wants to talk on a game.

That's right as well. This is a game. Not a live combat trial with life and death on the line. It's not a competition with us being paid to perform. It's not even anything that needs to be taken with any seriousness. IT'S A GAME. Something many of us use to relax, unwind and enjoy ourselves by having a little fun.

If you don't like how someone else plays this game (provided it follows all the rules and etiquette laid out in the ToS and CoC), tough on you. It's not JUST your game. It's also their game. And my game. We all find fun in different ways. Some people it's in casual play with random players. Others it's in competitive play with more serious approach to the game and tightly formulated teamwork and high skill. This game is big enough for BOTH crowds to play.

In all seriousness, if you can't handle that this game can be played more than just in the manner you "dictate", then maybe it's you who should look at yourself again... (Notice I didn't say you had to uninstall the game...)

#45 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

I've seen plenty of times that someone having a mic was a detriment to the team - to the point they were clogging comms and interfering with tactical control. It's also been my experience across multiple games that having ground rules for cooperation outside of active communication (which not all players are able to do well) is highly effective.

If only someone had written a guide about that at some time.

So while you should have and use a mic, it's not a "you shouldn't be playing this game at all" thing. It's just that you need that skill to be a well-rounded pilot; not having a mic stops you from reaching your potential as a teammate.

#46 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

Sorry can't do just one but will do a few that stack together.

The minimap is your friend, situational awareness is king. This is something you can and should work on outside of the game in real life that will make you a better player in any pvp game and well safer in real life.

Communication wins more battles than raw power does.

Don't lemming into a poorly timed nascar. This is one I can't stress enough and it does require clear communication. Some mechs, builds and players are better suited to flanking to set up multiple firing lines. I myself prefer to work the enemies flank which is why I almost exclusively run lights and mediums suited to it. When you are in an assault mech and you see a couple of guys moving out to the flank forming an L formation don't panic that they are nascaring and run after them, if they haven't called their move ask them.

Get a mic because communication is king.

#47 Hammer Hand

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:24 PM

Great thread! Lots of good info. This game has a steep learning curve. Lots of details.

Best advise I was given years ago is "Always be shooting. Never be getting shot" said by Lost in Chaos. Seraphim 3rd Battalion

If you don' know your weapons ranges, heat, recharge and damage it is hard to use them effectively. Use the Testing grounds. You can build a mech and take it into the testing grounds before you hit save and spend you C-Bills. When you are in the testing grounds, on the bottom right of your HUD is your weapons load out. When you are out of range the weapons are grayed out if you are too close or too far. The results of misusing weapons are heat build up (over heat and shut down) and running out of ammo. Neither of those help the team.

Don't face hug an enemy mech, you block your team mates from shooting and you get shot "by accident".

Gauss rifles are hard to use starting out. A helpful tip is you can add them to every weapon group. They don't fire till they charge and release the trigger. The dots around your target retical are your weapon groups. When you push the button for a gauss rifle to charge the dots light up green when it is charged. More lights = easier to see it is ready.

I use LRMs 100 - 200 meters behind the Assaults and shot what they are shooting. LRMs do suppress the enemy, you get no points for doing it but it does help the team get a win.

don't run in 3rd person the enemy can see the drone behind you. It has lights on it. Hiding the the dark with lights over you head is not good....

There is a sound when you get targeted. ** CORRECTION** The sound is made when enemy looses a lock on you (radar deprivation feature) thanks for the correction Void Angel

If you are in a light, keep moving, not in a straight line either. You will get jumpered by Mr. Dead

There are lots of Mech Warriors that will help you. Lots of units will help you. A group can go into a private lobby and teach different skills. Want to learn to kill lights with a Gauss rifle? Get some friends and go into a private lobby.

Camo really only matters if you have stealth armor or are under ECM. It you are out in the open you get a cool red box around you. Its okay, you will match the rest of your team.

Don't get caught out in the open the snipers and LRM boats will stomp a hole in you, then dance it dry.

Stay 30 - 40 meters behind the team mate in front of you. (don't stop in the choke point. It could be a ramp, door way alley or valley)

As a general rule different game modes use different builds. Solaris, Quick Play, Group Play, Comp Play and Faction Warfare all have differences. Add skills slowly (skills = weapons, mechs and game modes)

Play this game with friends. Invite some, make some whatever, this is a group game.

Have fun! Everyone dies in this game. Make the enemy work to kill you. Take as many with you as you can.

Good Hunting <S>

Edited by Hammer Hand, 08 November 2019 - 02:23 PM.

#48 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:54 PM

Play to win
not for the approval of others
Posted Image Win you get winning friends too

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 06 November 2019 - 11:55 PM.

#49 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:49 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 06 November 2019 - 11:54 PM, said:

Play to win
not for the approval of others
Posted Image Win you get winning friends too

mmmmmmmm hmmmmmm, your usually on the money OZ, but how you win is also very important too.

#50 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:52 AM

View PostDar1ngOne, on 07 November 2019 - 02:49 AM, said:

mmmmmmmm hmmmmmm, your usually on the money OZ, but how you win is also very important too.
How you won only matters if you won in the first place. :P

#51 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:00 AM

It many ways it comes down to this. Don't be the French, be the Germans. The French spread their tanks out, the Germans put all 9 divisions into one force attacking one area.

The MAILED FIST. Stick your fingers out. Now poke a wall with them. That hurt I bet. Now put your fingers into a fist. Now poke the wall. Get it?

If you stay together you can use each other ECM and AMS. And here is the crazy thing. Unless you are close to each other, you cannot see and/or fire on the same target. And that is what this game is about. it is not about one on one, it is about 2 and 3 on one.

After WW2 they did the stats. One tank fighting one tank would win but it would be wrecked. But when it was two on one tank the two took 50% less damage. Three on one brought that down to 75% less damage.

Do the math.

Your expensive armored Mech has two underused weapon systems.

1st, It has a engine. Pill boxes are much cheaper. But Mechs come with a engine because their movement is very important.

So move. Create shock by movement. If you stay still you become a target. If you can't shoot and move, then move.

The 2nd system is the radio. Everyone knows that the French had more and bigger tanks in WW2. But almost none had radios. They used......flags stuck out of holes to communicate.

So stay together. Lights move to catch the assualts because they cannot catch you. You are not "scouting" so just stop the BS. Move, talk, attack the same targets creating mismatches by using movement.

#52 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

View PostHammer Hand, on 06 November 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

There is a sound when you get targeted.

From this statement, I can tell you something about yourself: you often use Radar Deprivation nodes in your skill tree.

I know this because there actually isn't a sound notification of when you've been targeted. Never has been. But there IS a sound made by Radar Deprivation when targeting on you is lost. This is important to know if you're trying to shake the enemy off your trail, since it tells you the exact moment when the enemy is no longer able to tell which direction you're heading.

#53 Hammer Hand

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 November 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

From this statement, I can tell you something about yourself: you often use Radar Deprivation nodes in your skill tree.

I know this because there actually isn't a sound notification of when you've been targeted. Never has been. But there IS a sound made by Radar Deprivation when targeting on you is lost. This is important to know if you're trying to shake the enemy off your trail, since it tells you the exact moment when the enemy is no longer able to tell which direction you're heading.

Awesome, I learned something new. Thanks!

#54 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:27 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 November 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

I know this because there actually isn't a sound notification of when you've been targeted. Never has been. But there IS a sound made by Radar Deprivation when targeting on you is lost.
To my knowledge, Radar Derp generates sounds both when you're locked and when the enemy loses contact. I might be wrong about that ofc.

#55 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:51 AM

Not last I tested it. You can duplicate my results pretty easily by skylining yourself in a Locust or something, then ducking behind cover and counting the number of chirps.

#56 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostHorseman, on 09 November 2019 - 01:27 AM, said:

To my knowledge, Radar Derp generates sounds both when you're locked and when the enemy loses contact. I might be wrong about that ofc.

As far as I last knew (unless something has changed), Radar Deprivation does a chirp and a flashing light (flashing light may no longer be a thing) only when it "activates" and forces an enemy to lose their lock.

Nothing in the game (to my knowledge) produces any warning when you are locked onto. PGI did try having Betty inform you when you where locked, but it was short lived and quickly removed as OP, disruptive to the game and annoying.

#57 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:14 PM

Don't make it a habit to hug corners tight. It actually obstructs your view and makes it easier for enemies to hit you first, due to a trick of perspective. This applies to how you should ideally be cornering also.

Refer to:

This actually has an even bigger impact in MWO than it does in Counter Strike, because the timings are longer in MWO. While cornering with a perspective advantage in Counter Strike might grant only tens-of-milliseconds of advantage, in MWO it can give you 100+ milliseconds of advantage in seeing the enemy first and shooting them first. Even more if it's larger and slower mechs we're talking about.

Alot of newer players hug cover too tightly because instinctively it feels like this makes you safe. But if you just cower behind cover like that, more experienced players will corner you out and nail you first every time. If you don't realize what's happening, it can almost feel like they're cheating somehow, because they can see and hit you, but you don't even see them yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users