Caught An Exception Trying To Do Version Check

10 replies to this topic

#1 Jaak77

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

As the title says, I get the following error in a dialog box when i click the MWO portal.

Start error message:
Caught an exception trying to do version check. This is most likely due to an internet connectivity problem. Since this application requires an active internet connection, it will now exit.

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
End error message:

I was able to get the game to launch after restarting the modem, router and PC in that order. This was after getting the error message and then waiting about a minute and then launching the portal again.

when i run the repair tool I get the following:

Could not determine target from command line. Closing...

I also went to the website to download the client in hopes of trying a fresh install. I cannot reach that website. This is all very strange.

I have good internet speed:

56.9 mbps down
5.6 mbps up

any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 Jaak77

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:03 AM

So I wake up this morning and just like that...the problem is gone. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Jaak77

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

And then one day I come home from work and get the error again. What gives??

Edit: So I found I could not log in yesterday when I came home from work. I did a quick check now before work this morning and can log in. I also have been unable to log into Discord. But internet browsers work fine. I am beginning to believe its a local problem with my ISP.

Edit 14 March:

came home to find the problem again. I ran my hotspot from my phone and can run the game on my laptop. switched back to the house wi-fi and got the error. kept playing around and the error went away. checked the desktop and it was working again.
I will be exchanging my ISP's modem for one of the new combo modem/routers as my ISP's tech support suggested. I will update this post any time there is relevant information.

Edited by Jaak77, 14 March 2019 - 02:52 PM.

#4 Jaak77

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

After a crazy long conversation with a rep from my ISP I found a solution that worked tonight. I used the following solution:

[color=#959595]If you use internet explorer, open your internet browser; click on "options", click on the "advanced" tab, then "reset" at the bottom, then answer "yes" to the question asked.[/color]

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

First, thanks for posting what is currently working.

Most patchers and such uses windows browser hooks. Why remake the wheel? Also clear cache/cookies.

Also reboot router and modem and flush dns.

#6 Jaak77

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

Got back from work this evening...same problem, exact error again. Have repeated all steps that have previously worked to include the new steps from Tarl Cabot (thanks for adding possible solutions). I have not exchanged my 3 year old modem from my ISP for a new one yet. That is a step a plan to take. (fidelity communications Lawton, OK) I will keep updating this post as much as i can.

Edit 17 March: got up early and game will launch again. always seems to work in the morning. during prime time the game may not launch. really thinking its my ISP.

Edited by Jaak77, 17 March 2019 - 04:31 AM.

#7 Walter Wombat

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 4
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

I'm having this issue suddenly. I've never had any problems playing MWO, and this randomly popped up. Rebooting stuff hasn't done anything, and all my other MMO's are working fine, so this seems to be exclusively an MWO issue.

Edited by Walter Wombat, 27 May 2019 - 07:35 AM.

#8 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

About the repair tool, the error you have is when launching the tool without using MWO portal ?

Because the repair tool can only be launch by MWO portal (unless you know the repair tool command options Posted Image

If your game is already patched, you can launch MWO by using
[MechWarrior Online install directory] \Bin64\MWOClient.exe

Edited by MrVaad, 27 May 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#9 Cyber Viking

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:09 AM

I am also having this issue. Did anyone find a fix?

#10 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

I have had this a lot but I may have found a solution. Right click your desktop icon and go into the properties. Set it to run as administrator. It popped up a screen then wanting to know if I would allow the program to make changes but runs fine as of now.

#11 PrinceofChu

Rookie

• The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 10:15 PM

HI guys - i have had the smae problem lately since updating Windows 10 / Edge. I tried ad lot of online recommeded repairs including flush caches and flush dns via iopconfig, but none worked this time.

I too reloved it (eventually) by right clicking on the MWO Portal Icon and changing the permissions under advanced.

Trick is to remove any special permissions setup and then it will work as normal - good luck regards Prince.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users