Gaming Laptop Suggestions?

106 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

Hey, so I'm planning in buying something decent for gaming, but I don't exactly have a lot for a complete desktop monster build. Preferably under 1500 USD, not LENOVO, and uses AMD GPU. Could run MWO consistent FPS 40 - 60.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:39 PM

Why do you want it to use an AMD GPU? That's slim pickings.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 13 March 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

Why do you want it to use an AMD GPU? That's slim pickings.

I honestly have bad experiences with Nvidea. I hate their interface. When I had my other laptop, the AMD Radeon Crimson was the best. It could overclock and increase fan use per programs on the spot.

#4 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:45 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 March 2019 - 10:48 PM, said:

I honestly have bad experiences with Nvidea. I hate their interface. When I had my other laptop, the AMD Radeon Crimson was the best. It could overclock and increase fan use per programs on the spot.

i dont find myself using the nvidia interface all that often. overclocking is rather easy with MSI afterburner

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 March 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

Could run MWO consistent FPS 40 - 60.

yikes @ 40 fps

#5 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:43 AM

Here you go OP ;)

https://mwomercs.com...me-on-a-laptop/

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

Your premise seems to be predicated on laptops offering better value than desktops. I assure you that is not the case.

#7 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

The AMD GPU requirement limits you to what is on this list. It's many SKUs of one laptop model really.

You should probably get over whatever misconception you have about Nvidia GPUs, because the laptops packing those are objectively better.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 14 March 2019 - 01:24 PM.

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 14 March 2019 - 01:22 PM, said:

You should probably get over whatever misconception you have about Nvidia GPUs.

So long as you're buying.

#9 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 March 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

So long as you're buying.

Well then feel free to spend more for way less. $1500 for an RX580 is a bad deal, no matter how you slice it.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 14 March 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

Well then feel free to spend more for way less. $1500 for an RX580 is a bad deal, no matter how you slice it.

Like i said. So long as you're buying.

#11 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

You could build a very nice desktop for around 800 bucks.. if you bump up the GPU it would come in around 1000, A lap top of the same specs would easily be 1800+

The new Nividia 1660 TI is a super sweat card for 275, but if you really don't want nvidia you can save around 50 bucks, and get an AMD card, i forget the number 560 is it? But the new 1660 TI is basically as good as a GTX 1070, for 100 bucks less, and the same price as the card i bought 6 months ago, GTX 1060, with a bit better performance.

If you wanna save a bit of money on the build skip the SSD, you will get a bit longer load times but can save 200-300 dollars right there, and grab a nice big 2 TB seagate for like 60 bucks instead. You can always add an SSD at a later date as well then use the 2T as main storage, and for games that load times don't really matter

a intel 8600 + 8 gigs ram, or a spend a bit more and bump to 8800, or 9600 and 16 GB.

If you are not into building your PC, you can pick your parts and for a small fee, i think 100 or 150 newegg will put the whole custom comp together for you, and even spending that extra you should have 500 dollars in your pockets and a better system over a laptop. Really the only reason to use a laptop for gaming is if you must have a portable rig. But if your not really gaming anyplace else and need a laptop for mobile reasons, like school,work.. your better off spending 1k on a sweet gaming rig and buy a cheap laptop for mobile use.

Edited by JC Daxion, 14 March 2019 - 01:40 PM.

#12 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 14 March 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

You could build a very nice desktop for around 800 bucks.. if you bump up the GPU it would come in around 1000, A lap top of the same specs would easily be 1800+

Sure I guess. But we kinda forwent (is that a word?) The desktop building for a while now.

View PostJC Daxion, on 14 March 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

The new Nividia 1660 TI is a super sweat card for 275, but if you really don't want nvidia you can save around 50 bucks, and get an AMD card, i forget the number 560 is it? But the new 1660 TI is basically as good as a GTX 1070, for 100 bucks less, and the same price as the card i bought 6 months ago, GTX 1060, with a bit better performance.

I have no delusions that AMD would have better performance over Nvidea with the best they could offer. I really just had bad experiences of it. I got ACER Aspire V3, and I swear it's even worse than the Lenovo G40 I used to have. I just want to go back on something that just works.

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 March 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

I have no delusions that AMD would have better performance over Nvidea with the best they could offer. I really just had bad experiences of it. I got ACER Aspire V3, and I swear it's even worse than the Lenovo G40 I used to have. I just want to go back on something that just works.

It's not the nivida that is the issue, It's the ACER part. I haven't used AMD since the ATI 9800 +3200 AMD combo back in a 2003/4 build, but i had no issues with it. Since then i've gone with intel+Nivida and used solid parts. I'm on my 3rd build now and i have had zero issues on any game. Games like BT, or NMS, and others that people say they have issues, blackscreens, crashes ext.. even this game i just don't have issues on any game i play. (outside of i need a new CPU, because my is getting dated, but my new vid card has let me push that back another year or so)I think i've had a couple crashes in 5 years, rarely DC. (i did have a bit of an issue about 5 months ago, but it was because my ram needed to be reseated, i think i hit my desk to hard one day lol) It's really about buying quality parts, and using good drivers/configs.

If you would like i could give you a good build with high quality parts, and then you could choose your card. I just don't wanna waste my time if you are not interested. You would easily get a stable 60FPS+ with a simple and not to expensive build. Even with by not so hot CPU, i only get dips to around 55 most of the time, but my CPU is just old and i really need a new one.

#14 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 14 March 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

It's not the nivida that is the issue, It's the ACER part. I haven't used AMD since the ATI 9800 +3200 AMD combo back in a 2003/4 build, but i had no issues with it. Since then i've gone with intel+Nivida and used solid parts. I'm on my 3rd build now and i have had zero issues on any game. Games like BT, or NMS, and others that people say they have issues, blackscreens, crashes ext.. even this game i just don't have issues on any game i play. (outside of i need a new CPU, because my is getting dated, but my new vid card has let me push that back another year or so)I think i've had a couple crashes in 5 years, rarely DC. (i did have a bit of an issue about 5 months ago, but it was because my ram needed to be reseated, i think i hit my desk to hard one day lol) It's really about buying quality parts, and using good drivers/configs.

If you would like i could give you a good build with high quality parts, and then you could choose your card. I just don't wanna waste my time if you are not interested. You would easily get a stable 60FPS+ with a simple and not to expensive build. Even with by not so hot CPU, i only get dips to around 55 most of the time, but my CPU is just old and i really need a new one.

So is that a laptop or what?

#15 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

1. You should totally get the nvidia card, its better.
2. Strong chance any laptop you buy is going to be a rebranded lenovo.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 March 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

So is that a laptop or what?

No, Why are you so stuck on a laptop? Do you need a great one for work/school because you do vid editing or graphics work on the go?

You could get something like this for like 1100+ shipping, But you could build a desktop that is a good deal better for the same price. https://www.newegg.c...4-829-_-Product Or this for 1300 https://www.newegg.c...4-950-_-Product

For instance, the same price you could double the HD size, a much bigger SSD, a better vid card, and a bit better of CPU. Basically i've used Asus for like 20 years, never had any issues with their products but MSI is also very solid. For other desktop parts i like seagate and corsair.

Edited by JC Daxion, 14 March 2019 - 04:12 PM.

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 14 March 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

No, Why are you so stuck on a laptop? Do you need a great one for work/school because you do vid editing or graphics work on the go?

Because it's portable, and I want something like that, something I could take on the road or someplace else. It's like i'm asking a decent cheap car for commute, and then you're pointing me to the direction of a truck.

If i'm going to build a gaming rig, I'll all actually put a lot of money into it, and build it right.

If you, yes you, want a bonafide gaming rig, that is kinda fine because that's you, but don't push what you want on me. I get that you're trying to help, i really do, but this isn't exactly what I am looking for.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 14 March 2019 - 04:46 PM.

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

well you said a budget of 1500, and i gave you two just under budget that are both solid.. I dunno what more you want.

#19 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 14 March 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

well you said a budget of 1500, and i gave you two just under budget that are both solid.. I dunno what more you want.

"Gaming Laptop" on title, I also said amd, not lenovo, consistent 60 to 40 fps for mwo. Perhaps other games too.

But hey no, lets just ignore everything else.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 14 March 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

well I'm done helping.. I don't think asus was Lenevo, but what ever.. Enjoy, feel free to research. But 1-1.5k can build a perfectly fine Gaming PC.. You spending over 2k is basically a total waste of money anyway.

Edited by JC Daxion, 14 March 2019 - 05:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users