44 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

(Please note this is posted in a hurry and will be edited tomorrow)
This is one of several I'll have (one for each weapon type..ballistics, energy, missile).

This thread is going to be dedicated to hosting and storing ballistic weapons to be added into MW5: Mercs as the first phase of my Battletech Simulator mod, "Battletech Weapon Variants"
These weapons will have both similarities and differences from my "Kon's Reasonably-True-To-Lore Weapon Variants" mod, which I hope to be releasing in May. (HBS Battletech's update changed something in my "don't mess up mah multiplayah" version's single player. If I can't find a way to work around it I'm just gonna abandon that one as it is so much harder to keep functional with updates).

Spoiler

Terms:
  • Minimum Effective Range: The furthest of close ranges at which hitting a fast moving small target becomes difficult to land a full damage rating on.
  • Optimum Range: Distance at which all projectiles can reliably hit a specific part of a target.
  • Effective Range: Distance at which all projectiles are likely to at least hit when firing center mass.
  • Maximum Range: The distance a projectile can ultimately travel, though at this point it is neither reliably accurate or capable of damaging armor.
  • Rating: A weapon class rating is a loose approximation of damage per unit of time. A weapon achieves its rating when the specified damage is reached within that time limit.
  • Pushing: Weapons can be pushed passed its rating to deliver more damage ("burst fire MG" rule, Autocannon "rapid fire" rule, fluff about numerous weapon systems and 'weapon overheat' which is not the same as mech overheat). "Pushing" it stresses the weapon and is considered unsafe as it risks weapon lockout due to overheat at best and can also risk jamming, barrel melting, weapon damage, structure damage, explosions, chain reactions and having a bad time.
  • Mount Type: A distinction is going to be made where weapons can only be mounted on specific body parts to add a degree of realism. Weapons which appear in arms can only be mounted there. Those which mount in torsos can only be mounted there. In cases where the same brand name can appear in both but are visually distinct each other will have separate versions, and particularly small ones will have no restriction in mount type. It goes further than that but this is meant to be brief.
  • Softpoint:

Factors:
  • Range (Beyond range class [short, medium long], there are minimum effective range, optimum range, effective range, and max range.)
  • Firing rate (How many shots it can produce per second)
  • Firing type (The way it fires when triggered: single-shot/semi-auto, automatic, burst, ramp-up [think MWO RAC], full cassette consumption)
  • Down time (The amount of time the weapon system needs to spend before it is ready to fire)
  • Temperature (How hot the weapon gets per shot, per damage rating, and the threshold for weapon overheat/failure)
  • Expected Power (How much damage is done per projectile / shots to get rating)
  • Endurance (The abuse a weapon can take before it becomes non-functional versus destroyed)
  • Reliability (The stress a weapon can take. A more reliable weapon can be pushed beyond its class's limit with little to no issue, provided its well cared for. An unreliable weapon will have issues when pushed past its class. All weapons can and often will malfunction if pushed too hard.)
  • Unjam feature (Whether or not it has one and a rough idea of how long it may take; note this cannot fix jams caused by melted barrel. Currently doesn't have a basis, but the more unreliable a weapon is the more likely it'll have this to compensate.)
  • Repair-ability (affected by its constitution, its mount type, whether it is external or internal [external mounts are easier to break but quicker and easier to fix], the machine it is mounted on, and the Astechs involved.)
  • Economy (A host of cost saving gimmicks with both positive or negative effects. For an example of each, such as reserving space and tonnage in a mech to collect spent shells in order to recycle them, thereby reducing the cost of ammunition. Or cheap and easy to fix weapons with poor workmanship.)
  • Mount Type (Location in which a weapon can be mounted.)
  • Size (The size of softpoint is can fit into. Although this will not affect its actual slot size, a weapon of non-standard size will be both visually bulkier or smaller than others of its class.)
Factors, what affects them?
  • Range (affected by barrel type, ammo type, and recoil)
  • Firing rate (affected by firing chamber type, barrel type, and ammo type)
  • Firing type (affected by firing chamber type, barrel type, and fluff when available)
  • Down time (affected by the feed system)
  • Temperature (primarily affected by the cooling jacket with secondaries including many other elements)
  • Expected Power (affected by the caliber and ammunition type in use. Non-weapon related factors may impact final results.)
  • Endurance (the abuse a weapon can take before it becomes non-functional versus destroyed. Affected by its constitution of other components.)
  • Reliability (affected by its constitution and its fluffed reputation. a more reliable weapon can be pushed to near its class's limit without issue, provided its well cared for. An unreliable weapon may have issues when pushed. )
  • Unjam feature (Currently doesn't have a basis, but the more unreliable a weapon is the more likely it'll have this to compensate.)
  • Repairability (affected by its constitution, its mount type, whether it is external or internal [external mounts are easier to break but quicker and easier to fix], the machine it is mounted on, and the Astechs involved.)
  • Economy (affected by all the above, but also is its own separate feature for implementation of little cost-saving gimmicks at the expense of other aspects of the weapon).
  • Size (affected by all related above aspects which constitute bulk and proportions in addition to mount type. A bulkier than normal weapon will require a larger softpoint to fit, but will benefit from the extra room. A compact version of the class norm can fit into a smaller softpoint, though it may have some exposure.)
Each factor is affected by elements which make the constitution of the weapon variant.

How are these elements balanced?
First, a comparison: Star Citizen once broadcasted that they were balancing missile types by using a pentagon system. There's a limited number of points to attribute and 5 factors that make the missile (thrust, agility, homing, power and I don't remember the 5th element). This allows them to make a diverse set of brand name missiles. Larger ones have have more points to distribute and smaller ones have less.
Inspired by Battletechnology Magazine's description of the constitution and weight distribution of a PPC, mention of differences between variants and some TRO descriptions of particularly special weapon variants; I've decided to use the weapon's weight distribution as the 'points' and the elements often customized on a weapon in any given FPS title as the factors in what a weapon variant ultimately becomes. Ultimately a weapon's attributes are limited by how the weight is distributed, for example more weight into the barrel could produce a longer or stronger barrel which in turn can affect other factors. Putting more weight into the firing system (firing chamber) can improve things such as firing rate. But there's only so much weight to go around, so any improvement comes with a sacrifice.

This will allow me to create a wide variety of weapons. These will be sourced from fluff when possible. In cases where none is available or known I will be producing 'fillers'. You can contribute to my library of known details about weapon variants in "So, variants again." I will also be sharing my own knowledge (and sources where available) in the thread sometime this week.

A complete list of elements is forthcoming, as will be a few examples of weapons built using this system.

Edited by Koniving, 29 March 2019 - 11:42 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:33 PM

Nothing is set in stone.
List of attributes / stat effects of each is incomplete and as such left out at this time.
Some elements are self-explanatory. Questions, discussions and ideas are encouraged.

Elements:
  • Barrel:
    • Normal
    • Light-Duty
    • Heavy-Duty
    • Extended
    • Carbine
    • Multi-barrel non-rotating
    • Multi-barrel revolving
  • Firing Chamber Type:
    • Mechanically fed traditional Single Chamber
    • Single Chamber (Liquid propellant)
    • Magnetic (single chamber)
    • Multi-Chamber
    • Revolving Chamber (gas)
    • Revolving Chamber (electric)
    • Magnetic (revolving chamber - electric)
    • Rail (Gauss)
    • Coil (Gauss)
  • Cooling Jacket:
    • Standard
    • Improved
    • Poor
    • Degrading (Note this is rarely an inherent trait of the weapon. It appears most with certain placements on certain mechs).
    • Dedicated Heatsink (Not typical of ballistic weapons; included for completeness)
  • Ammunition:
    • Caliber
      • 12.7mm - 203mm (encompassing every single ballistic weapon that could be mounted on a vehicle or mech)
    • Propellant (if unique/specifically identified)
      • Standard
      • Liquid (Chemjet Gun AC/20)
      • None (Gauss)
    • Type
      • HEAP (standard AC)
      • Armor Piercing
      • Caseless
      • Flak
      • Flechette
      • Incendiary
      • Precision
      • Tracer (included for completeness, not likely to use)
  • Reliability:
    • Standard
    • Reliable
    • Exceptional
    • Flimsy
    • PGI-made
  • Unjam Feature:
    • Either it has one or it doesn't
    • Backup Feed (incompatible with unjam)
  • Endurance: (health)
    • Weapon Variant Specific:
    • Mechlab mounting Specific:
      • Internal
      • Exposed (External; jurry-rigged)
  • Ease of Repair:
    • Weapon Variant Specific:
      • Standard
      • Easy to repair
      • Difficult to repair
    • Mechlab Placement Specific:
      • Easy to Access (automatic for exposed weapons)
  • Economy:
    • Construction:
      • Recent / standard materials
      • Fresh from factory
      • Premium materials
      • Relic / restored
      • 'Affordable' materials
      • Made by PGI
    • Repair:
      • Original Factory Parts
      • Counterfeit/Imitation Parts
      • Improvised
      • Duct Tape
    • Feature:
      • Spent Material Reserve Bin (recycle ammo)
      • Ammunition conservation

Edited by Koniving, 22 March 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#3 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Putting the cart before the horse, aren't we?

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 21 March 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Putting the cart before the horse, aren't we?

A bit... But we already know that mw5 like HBS battletech is doing a "level up" rpg style of weapon variants.

In vanilla HBS Battletech an AC/20 is an AC/20... An AC/20+ was blatantly better and an AC/20++ was basically an AC/35.

MW5 has a single shot 5 damage on a mech that is supposed to have an 80mm AC/5 as the stock. Since I'm the source material the biggest caliber ac/5 is 120mm and it specifically requires 3 shots to produce 5 damage... We already know the entire system isn't going to be lore friendly. Since I am doing a Battletech Simulator mod overall... The stuff that flat out ignores the source material has gotta go.

It'd be like having sorcery in Deus Ex or Gatling guns in Skyrim (which guns are lore friendly in elder scrolls but not in Skyrim's era) or the US Fielding World War I tanks in World War 5. Or an Atlas with it's missiles on the right torso and ballistic on the left. It is inconsistent and out of place. Can't fix mwo. But can fix mw5.

#5 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

Pls mod in a proper RAC.

Also Urbies.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 21 March 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

Pls mod in a proper RAC.

Also Urbies.

It's on the list. Even a few ideas of how to go about them Everything from Mech Rifles to Arrow IV. This said just cause I will have the ideas and plan and eventually working models, beyond cheating you won't be snagging them as they will be locked to a lore appropriate time..which I suspect will be after pgi releases dlc for Clan+ era... By then they might even have better mechanics to work racs with.
The "so variants again" thread this weekend is going to have a compilation of on own variant details as well as request info from others. Am also looking to collect ideas. For example one time the suggestion of an antibiotic infantry/power armor dedicated small laser having an unpredictable scatter laser effect. It'd still be a standard small laser in any other aspect... But such is a concept worth considering to help fill gaps so long as it can be made to work within the know fluff and not overpowered to the point we wonder why there isn't large laser shotguns.

Urbie is already in MW5: Mercs... But I'll make certain the Urbie cannon makes sense. Imperator-B AC/10, 80mm and a Harmon Light small laser.

Edited by Koniving, 22 March 2019 - 01:56 AM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

So I found something worth sharing here as part of why I'm doing this:

At some point, PGI went back and edited the Dev Blogs in order to break the link... which considering how old they are, its surprising they would do this in 2018.. Every video link has stopped working. Which is strange, as you'll see below.

But I found an old post where I linked it, and the link still works...meaning it got removed from the original post.

I've tried multiple ways to download and save the video; please someone save this video and reupload it so I could save it or gimme an idea how (in case if PGI outright deletes it) if it might be hidden in my temporary files as my usual youtube video downloaders and file grabbers keep saying its corrupted.

That said:
There's a few things to note here, one of which is absent from the "final" ..."in engine" trailer.
Lets start with what's absent from the final iteration. Listen and note the icon when the PPC is getting ready to fire. It has a bar which brightens as it builds up, and once full it fires. During this there's a sound, e-eeeeeEEEEEEEEYUT. It charges up...and then fires.

The autocannon is a non-stop deterrent against getting close to the Atlas. So much so that it refuses to use its lasers. And this deterrent is so strong that the Warhammer tries to use two separate buildings as a buffer while it deals with the heat buildup of its significantly more powerful per shot "siege weapons", aka the PPCs. The damage over time, however, is just as significant as the much slower firing, longer waiting PPCs.
(We're going to ignore that it calls this an Atlas C and has the Atlas C/K [and I think S2?] exclusive twin 10 tube split LRM-20 rack..yet has an autocannon instead of a Gauss Rifle)...

Aiming LRMs and SRMs deliberately in a bit of a scatter pattern is useful for destroying buildings. Also this is done regardless of regardless of the missiles being torso mounted. These are all traits I'm hoping to be able to figure out how to implement. The hardest would possibly be this behavior for missiles, as I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about it.

I'm bringing it up here because ultimately THIS MW5 is what I wanted to play. This got me into the tabletop (well megamek anyway) where long before I was just a Mechwarrior fan. Breaking down turns into second by second accounts, something often described as part of the fun of playing it with friends was actually one of the neatest things for me and in doing so it gave me an all new understanding of Mechwarrior and the many misconceptions players often have. The digger I deep, the more fascinating it actually gets and its made even better when Megamek's AI shows me new things I didn't even know were possible.

A couple of quick examples:
Spoiler

#8 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 March 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

Made by PGI

CLASSIC!

View PostKoniving, on 23 March 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

So I found something worth sharing here as part of why I'm doing this:

At some point, PGI went back and edited the Dev Blogs in order to break the link... which considering how old they are, its surprising they would do this in 2018.. Every video link has stopped working. Which is strange, as you'll see below.

But I found an old post where I linked it, and the link still works...meaning it got removed from the original post.

I've tried multiple ways to download and save the video; please someone save this video and reupload it so I could save it or gimme an idea how (in case if PGI outright deletes it) if it might be hidden in my temporary files as my usual youtube video downloaders and file grabbers keep saying its corrupted.

That said:
There's a few things to note here, one of which is absent from the "final" ..."in engine" trailer.
Lets start with what's absent from the final iteration. Listen and note the icon when the PPC is getting ready to fire. It has a bar which brightens as it builds up, and once full it fires. During this there's a sound, e-eeeeeEEEEEEEEYUT. It charges up...and then fires.

The autocannon is a non-stop deterrent against getting close to the Atlas. So much so that it refuses to use its lasers. And this deterrent is so strong that the Warhammer tries to use two separate buildings as a buffer while it deals with the heat buildup of its significantly more powerful per shot "siege weapons", aka the PPCs. The damage over time, however, is just as significant as the much slower firing, longer waiting PPCs.
(We're going to ignore that it calls this an Atlas C and has the Atlas C/K [and I think S2?] exclusive twin 10 tube split LRM-20 rack..yet has an autocannon instead of a Gauss Rifle)...

Aiming LRMs and SRMs deliberately in a bit of a scatter pattern is useful for destroying buildings. Also this is done regardless of regardless of the missiles being torso mounted. These are all traits I'm hoping to be able to figure out how to implement. The hardest would possibly be this behavior for missiles, as I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about it.

I'm bringing it up here because ultimately THIS MW5 is what I wanted to play. This got me into the tabletop (well megamek anyway) where long before I was just a Mechwarrior fan. Breaking down turns into second by second accounts, something often described as part of the fun of playing it with friends was actually one of the neatest things for me and in doing so it gave me an all new understanding of Mechwarrior and the many misconceptions players often have. The digger I deep, the more fascinating it actually gets and its made even better when Megamek's AI shows me new things I didn't even know were possible.

A couple of quick examples:
Spoiler

THATS THE ONE I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT WITH SKINNY ATLAS!
Those visuals even in black and white I WOULD PLAY NOW!

Edited by HammerMaster, 23 March 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 23 March 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

THATS THE ONE I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT WITH SKINNY ATLAS!

I know. I found it on a page about weapon convergence of all places. :)

#10 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

https://www.onlinevi...utube-converter
try this?

View PostKoniving, on 23 March 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

I know. I found it on a page about weapon convergence of all places. Posted Image

Ya that one has so much more character than the Duplo Blocks one we have now.

Edited by HammerMaster, 23 March 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

So someone correct me if they get something else, but I get 2 to 3 per second. I was hoping it was slightly faster. At 3 per second and 100mm, "pushing" this AC would have to work similar to an UltraAC's "ultra-mode" to double the rate of fire...something I want to keep unique to Ultra ACs. Otherwise to net the required shots, it'd take 4 seconds...which is within the rating but...leaves like no room to 'push' the gun.

Shots per second on the video from the Atlas.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

Before I continue, there's three quick things to note:
For anyone that hasn't followed things I've posted... some time ago I came up with an expansion on the relatively simplified BT/MW heat system in order to better suit what the lore proposes.
The idea is to be able to encompass all those mentions of overheating machine guns and ACs we see all over the TROs and novels, those lasers that burn out their crystal and cease to function, the constant rain of LRMs that leads to tubes being so hot missiles explode sitting in that heat...
Battletech fluff is littered with it, but where is it? Its never been in an MWO before. But there's more than that, recently in MWO's forums we have complaints about side torso heat spikes (which isn't a heat spike, you lose the threshold and the bigger hit is all the heatsinks you lose too as the engine is sort of a slap on the wrist).. "Magic heat" they say. Well this expanded heat system that I came up with years ago could actually let you keep track as weapon heat, engine heat, general heat and heatsinks are tracked independently.

The second quick thing is that the exact numbers are not set in stone (especially ranges as these are rough estimations based on the difficulty of tracking a moving 6x3 meter target while handling recoil and time) and the exact distribution of "weight points" for lack of a better term is not exactly concrete at the moment. Even still, I want to get some examples of what this concept is capable of out as quickly as possible as a proof of concept.

Third, there's ranges. Here, instead of simply short to long I'm listing minimum to max. Allow me to address "Minimum" range for a moment. This won't be PGI's "magic no damage" range. Not at all. Unlike MWO and many unrealistic shooters, the reason minimum range exists in Battletech is bullets don't curve.
Posted Image
You can't get a 75 degree curve from the barrel into a target that's too damn close from a real gun or a proper simulator. That's why minimum accurate range exists for weapons with an offset between its origin and the point of aim.

Expanding on this, Optimum Range is defined by me as the range in which you can land every projectile onto the intended section of a moving target approximately 6 meters long in any direction (tall, long, wide, whatever).
Effective range is defined as the distance in which all projectiles can hit that same 6 meter rectangular target while aiming center mass and hit with every shell but without precision.
Maximum Range at the moment is going to be the maximum range at which a shell hitting BAR-10 armor will do expected damage. Beyond that point any damage dealt will have diminishing returns. I may actually go with the range at which the shell will 'hit the ground' when fired perpendicular with the ground...clearly one of the biggest issues in interpretation is how to define what is being interpreted.
Note that it is my intention that movement will affect accuracy, I refuse to have MWO's "magic floating camera aim" in MW5: Mercs.

And finally: A key difference you may notice between Cassette and Belt-fed weapons is that belt-fed autocannons do not have any down time (except to swap belts in belt-fed Alternating). As such belt fed weapons tend to be automatic (with semi-auto possible by tapping the fire key) but slower to yield final results without enhancements. Meanwhile cassette fed can be fired in any number of ways but generally produce damage in shorter amounts of time. Of course there are many variables at play here.
--------------

Last time I was writing this I actually started with the Whirlwind/L, but finding that video has me wanting to start with the Atlas's Deathgiver. That was, until I discovered that despite what I've read in the past...the Deathgiver isn't the default weapon for the Atlas, the Defiance Mech Hunter is. When I saw this change on Sarna I went through the TROs and while most don't mention the brand name, 3025 does in fact point out the Defiance Mech Hunter...with no specifics about it. Frustrated I continued to hunt.

Its co-conspirator, the Rommel, also fails to mention caliber or details. Sarna of course doesn't help, it says "a single shot" but it does that with a lot of weapons, including 120mm guns. Digging up Rommel's data brought about some fun things: Defiance Mech Killer Type T on the Patton and the Mech Hunter on the Rommel are both compact ACs. It goes into great detail about the LRMs...7.7. After quite a bit of hunting with nothing concrete, I went to look at an old fan-made image that first led me to consider variants in the first place.

Posted Image
I have long since forgotten who actually made the original image and I have since found out that the numbers are made up beyond the Crusher.. Some of its stuff is unusable due to conflicts with actual fluff or in the case of the Chemjet Gun, its probably got too much damage to work with how I'm balancing the weapon systems.. But what it has for the Defiance Mech Hunter falls in line with something else; the Tomodzuru Mount Type 20, which is a 180mm AC/20 that even without the fluff has a major issue... a blatant lack of available ammunition in certain regions of space, and yet its still used for a few hundred years after its plant is destroyed. If I use the original image creator's number for the per cassette (rating) shot count and damage per shot, then not only does it fit matching descriptions of what "one shot" can do between the old Komiyaba Type VII chassis Hunchback's Tomodzuru and the Rommel's Defiance Mech Hunter.. but it gives us something else that some players would probably miss after this mod is installed, a hefty punch in a single shot.

Important: To achieve the rating of a damage class, a weapon must 1) be able to achieve a loose approximation of the expected damage class in no greater than 5 seconds. 2) It must be capable of being ready to go again within 10 seconds.
It is worth noting that even the worst weapons in a class still surpass this to some degree.

This said, lets begin and assume that the weapon in the video is the Deathgiver 100mm. (Moved lower to make it easier to edit.)

Edited by Koniving, 29 March 2019 - 01:02 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

Side note:
Wonder how difficult this Unreal Engine update would be to slip in...

#14 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:25 AM

Great read - lots of text and maybe I can not process that much input, but you could indeed drop the idea for the ChemSet for a BattleMech - I know in some TRO the Chemset is mounted on a Mech, maybe it was part of the variants but this is highly unlikely.
Its a binary propellant (liquide) solution - so you don't have a case to be dropped - no case = more heat. Although this would be a nice characteristic - 3 rounds each 8 points of damage but 10 instead of 7 heat... although its much simpler to convert CBT into a 1d100 system (2 10 sided dice) first.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 March 2019 - 02:25 AM, said:

Great read - lots of text and maybe I can not process that much input, but you could indeed drop the idea for the ChemSet for a BattleMech - I know in some TRO the Chemset is mounted on a Mech, maybe it was part of the variants but this is highly unlikely.
Its a binary propellant (liquide) solution - so you don't have a case to be dropped - no case = more heat. Although this would be a nice characteristic - 3 rounds each 8 points of damage but 10 instead of 7 heat... although its much simpler to convert CBT into a 1d100 system (2 10 sided dice) first.

The Chemjet will certainly be posted during the week. I think for that, given the need to 'fill it' to get range, and how incredibly fun my unreleased HBS Battletech mod with it is (as it is set to indirect fire capable and the tank using it does in fact use it as a mortar when it wants), I'm going to let it have the full 20 damage, but not let it push or "overclock the gun" as one of my friends put it. Might let it overfill the liquid propellant to do some extra damage to make up for it, but basically the trade off is damage in a short period of time.

So while the Defiance Mech Hunter might let you get 19 damage in 2.5 seconds.. the Chemjet per shot is going to be a lot more powerful (at least 5 damage).. but probably gonna take longer to net the full 20(+), and not possibly be able to compete with the ultras as most other AC/20s could do (with the risks associated with Battletech's rapid fire autocannons).

If Demolishers and their cousins are in MW5, you'll be able to find them. HBS Battletech already had the basic AI necessary to use it thanks to every weapon having a "indirect fire" tick to switch to yes or no. Hope MW5's AI won't get confused when it has an AC/20 and the option to fire indirectly like a mortar.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

Relics

Like Internet Explorer, we sometimes forget about these.

AC/20
Deathgiver (100mm)
Spoiler

AC/20
Deathgiver (King Crab, 120mm)
Spoiler

Nissan/Komiyaba General Industries

Posted Image

"Komiyaba? Yeah...they're long gone."

"We used to make guns? BIG GUNS!? What hap--oh, right, the Davions got jealous of our autocannons."

AC/20
Tomodzuru Mount Type 20 (180mm)
Spoiler

Defiance Industries

Posted Image

"Stand in Defiance"

AC/20
Defiance Mech Hunter (180mm)
Spoiler

General Motors

Posted Image

"Finding New Roads Since 1908"

AC/5
GM WHIRLWIND/5 (120mm)
Spoiler

Again remember numbers are not set in stone, what's most likely going to change (almost definitely) will be range.

Reading the original TRO 3025 brings up a funny fact: Wolverine - "As a medium recon vehicle it does not have good armor which is as it should be." It, matter-of-factly, has the best armor of every existing IS medium mech for over 300 years... Its stock amount of armor points is actually outright superior to many heavy mechs as well.

AC/2
GM Whirlwind/L
Spoiler

Kali-Yama Weapons Industries Incorporated

Posted Image

"Kali-Yama Industries, equipping the Free Worlds one hand at a time."

AC/20
Kali-Yama Big Bore
Spoiler

AC/10
Kali-Yama Class 10 (seriously this otherwise unnamed but over-fluffed spray-and-pray AC/10 makes me want to call it the Death Blossom, but that apparently is already used by Kali-Yama's LRMs.... Anyone got a fitting name for it?)
Spoiler

Posted Image

Quikcell

No refunds

Quikcell's logo changes depending on which area of space it is in, with the ruling house's first letter in the center and the pride of only serving that faction... for that branch...and even then those branches sell to periphery nations and even rival subfactions!

AC/20
Crusher Super Heavy
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 07 April 2019 - 01:24 AM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Non-standard ACs will be featured here
(LBX, Ultra)
Rifle, etc.

Edited by Koniving, 07 April 2019 - 01:26 AM.

#18 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:15 AM

Did you use the Corps GunsGunsGuns RuleBook? Your Whirlwind example strangely has the 'correct' - 'safe' RateOf Fire as my Sheet when running the numbers.
3.5 rounds per second with 59% rate of fire. Theoretical maximum with critical jam chance of 3% would be 5.9 (Ultra?)

for the death-giver you might alter the ammunition by using less propellant - instead of a long barrel you use a Thre Snub-Barrels - this might drop the speed by several hundred meter per second (the Whirlwind in my example get whooping 3.5km/s the DeathGiver might only achieve 2.6km/s)

A Clip might be 90 rounds - (less propellant) - safe rate of fire could be 15 rounds per second, so the full clip might need 6 seconds. Or you alter the fire pattern into your mentioned burst fire but each burst with a higher rate of fire- so 30 rounds might need only 1.2 seconds - so the gun could fire 1.2 x 30 rounds 1.2 moving to the second clip chamber again 30 rounds, switch and again 30 rounds. (Ok would be a kind of typewriter magazine)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 27 March 2019 - 03:15 AM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 27 March 2019 - 03:15 AM, said:

Did you use the Corps GunsGunsGuns RuleBook? Your Whirlwind example strangely has the 'correct' - 'safe' RateOf Fire as my Sheet when running the numbers.
3.5 rounds per second with 59% rate of fire. Theoretical maximum with critical jam chance of 3% would be 5.9 (Ultra?)

GM Whirlwind/5: "The RPG Stats are derivative using the Infantry Platoon Creation Rules for the Damage Stats, and doing a formulaic extrapolation from 180 meters at Short Range to the MechWarrior, Third Edition ranges incorporating the +1 modifier that a "Regular" MechWarrior Starts at in the RPG in addition to the +2 bonus that Combat Vehicles and BattleMechs get because they automatically carry the equivalent of an Advanced Fire Control system."

for the death-giver you might alter the ammunition by using less propellant - instead of a long barrel you use a Three Snub-Barrels - this might drop the speed by several hundred meter per second (the Whirlwind in my example get whooping 3.5km/s the DeathGiver might only achieve 2.6km/s)

Which Deathgiver? The King Crab one got a carbine barrel (heavy duty so it won't melt and to consume some of the weight), though since it isn't really shown in art I could probably give it some extra barrels. Was opting out of it as I was thinking of doing that with the Imperator D. Though since the Imperator D needs a slower, steadier firing rate I could probably do the carbine barrel for it.

Far as autocannons, in searching through existing ones, I'm seeing muzzle velocities of 1.1 km/s and less.
Of course, we don't really make much in the way of autocannons beyond 60mm in real life.

A Clip might be 90 rounds - (less propellant) - safe rate of fire could be 15 rounds per second, so the full clip might need 6 seconds. Or you alter the fire pattern into your mentioned burst fire but each burst with a higher rate of fire- so 30 rounds might need only 1.2 seconds - so the gun could fire 1.2 x 30 rounds 1.2 moving to the second clip chamber again 30 rounds, switch and again 30 rounds. (Ok would be a kind of typewriter magazine)

At this point I've lost which weapon we're talking about...

The Deathgiver Auto? At the current damage (that'll be for the most part universal) it needs 16 to net its 20 damage.

#20 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:24 PM

Ah, np.
What I wanted to say without different loading mechanism (I would count gast, revolver or gatling all as multi barrel for simplicity) you can not exceed the rate of fire of the whirlwind by using 120mm as caliber.
Theoretical rate of fire for the 120mm (13kg per cartridge (semi-combustible, with metal base, high energy propellant- electric fuzed, small caliber bullet with sabot) is 6 rounds per second. (Sure it's the abstract G3 rules but some examples using this systems showed almost the same weight, muzzle energy or RoF of real weapons)

So when you design a AC20 with 120mm you can not fire the same rounds from a single barrel and have manageable volume if fire. Ok the absolute minimum for the AC20 would be 20kg per second...
Stops ... blinks...oh hell I have a freaking error in my calculation and did not even recognize it.... with 13kg per shell the 3 round burst for the Whirlwind works but why didn't i realize that 90rounds are complete utopic.

Sorry Kon' - 12 round clip when using the same round 20 when using less propellant. With maximum rate if fire and single barrel still a 2-4 second burst. But you have a high chance for a jam. So you need a multi-chamber loading mechanism to have a difference between AC20 and Ultra 5s or even Rotarys. (Not that the rotary is a well defined weapon to start with - it's a lightweight ac20 with more range, damage and less heat)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users