#1 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Just wanted to say that the 360 spin came in very handy.

I recently bought a UB K9 during the last sale, outfitted it with 5 MPL's, and was playing my second match with the little guy, flanking on the edge of my team when I was attacked by a Piranha. After immediately trying to defend myself, I was getting too hot, he was still trying to chew me up, so I turned and ran away to my team. As I did, I remembered the 360 degree torso yaw, so spun 180 degrees and legged him while running in the opposite direction! Killed him after that, of course, but damn, that spin came in handy. Posted Image

I'm pleasantly surprised with the effectiveness of my new little Urbie. That ended up being a very good match for me.

Edited by renzor51, 23 March 2019 - 07:48 PM.

#2 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

I'm liking my K-9 quite a lot, but the heat is terrible with 5 mpl. Hopefully once skilled, it will be a little less all consuming, but there hasn't been a game yet that hasn't involved chain firing lasers and popping a cool shot.

But yeah, the "urbie move" of run away while firing is pretty damn awesome, and I've used it against a few fast flankers to good effect. You just have to watch out for very skilled pilots, because your butt is still showing and can be shot for back damage, if the opponent is good enough to target it.

Edited by Maddermax, 23 March 2019 - 11:08 PM.

#3 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:18 PM

View PostMaddermax, on 23 March 2019 - 11:08 PM, said:

I'm liking my K-9 quite a lot, but the heat is terrible with 5 mpl. Hopefully once skilled, it will be a little less all consuming, but there hasn't been a game yet that hasn't involved chain firing lasers and popping a cool shot.

But yeah, the "urbie move" of run away while firing is pretty damn awesome, and I've used it against a few fast flankers to good effect. You just have to watch out for very skilled pilots, because your butt is still showing and can be shot for back damage, if the opponent is good enough to target it.

Yeah, the best heat management I was able to do with 5MPL and an LTE180 without reducing firepower, speed, or armor (only the ballistic arm is reduced some) was 1.24. Hot. I have all five lasers on group 1, and all of them chain-firing on group 2, and I was chain firing a bit.

#4 Uzi Foo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

I've been playing my K9 non stop for a week now with almost 300 matches. It's a not half bad.

#5 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:24 PM

I love my herbie curbie. The light machine guns are for harassing fire, to keep their head down till you close with the mpl,

Posted Image

or you can do this and shred some fools.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mobility is KING, don't even think about going with less than the max engine/JJs.

#6 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

When I was done with everything else for the Easter Event except for the remainder of 'components destroyed', I took out my K-9 to pop pieces. It's just so small and maneuverable and responsive, and the 5MPL are great for pinpoint. I have plenty of other tougher pulse builds that are even bigger and tankier, but I love that Urbie.

#7 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:08 AM

I need a K9... :-P

Mobility is king in QP It's funny seeing people (t)roll in a slow brawler, I always put them to shame, you have to get to the fight before you can do damage Posted Image and you have to be fast to stay alive long enough to do that damage.

I've just started getting the hang of Parthian shots with the Urbie, Takes a certain change in mind-set and a close eye on your mini map. 360 FTW

#8 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:26 PM

Lots of +500's, and I got a 29, once... (it was a wipe, so there's that), but this is probably tonight's high score.
I got 3KMD's and maybe a solo kill(s)? I didn't get the other screen shot in time :-(

Posted Image

Overall tonight,

Lots and lots of KMDs, and many solos.

The LMG let you get some early shots in and keep up the harassing fire when you are cooling down.

Posted Image

Those MPL really like to take off components. It's nimble and quick, jumps good, turns a 360, tanky, easily ignored, oh yeah.

Please don't nerf me bro.

#9 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

I was already feeling a bit shaky cause it was the end of the match and I'd been 1 v 2 -fresh king crab and moderately damaged marauder- for at least a minute (my warhawk lrm boat was halfway across the map), we were in heavy building cover (thx lrm boat....not!!!! lol),I couldn't even hold a lock for his useless missiles-even when he got close enough. And too many places for them to put their back and tight cover, no back stabbing via tight circling. I couldn't focus on just one at a time, cause as I circled them I would hit one, then the other. Plus I was already a little banged up.

Then some dead dude started yammering at me while I'm in the middle of fighting. Maybe one thing he said helped, basically "don't miss". The rest of it was rubbish, "Stop jumping around" REALLY? should I face tank the Mad Kings? Finally I said "Shut the ____ up (did I really cuss in game? IDK, probably), and quit micromanaging my playing" I never get harsh, but that dude was really not helping. The shakes were really coming on now.

He shut up, and I doubled down on not missing (and fighting the steadily increasing shakes)

Fear is the mind killer, I will face my fear...

Remember to breath.

Nothing exists but the target

And his big ol' guns he's trying to shoot you with!

Holy crap I'm about to die!

Repeat.

I fought both of them for at least two minutes and finally the LRM boat got close enough to distract the Mad. When the Mad left, I was able to simply place a building between me and the King, and use seismic to try and get the drop on him, they don't work when jumping, and his don't either, so I would (try to) jump behind him, but he was a wary fighter and I never could get behind him, "out maneuvered by a king crab" was the term used, thanks dude...yeah :-/ the urby is not a piranha, even with max eng/jj.

I ended up doing my normal jump/poke/stab and zen-focus on hitting the CT, while he was forced to try and hit a moving (flying) target.

His hits were less than 100% and spread all over my mech, via my twisting and flying, while my hits were focused on his CT. He died, I did not.

And yes, it made me miss a bit, all that jumping.... but it made him miss more, much more.

I was yellow cored by the time it was over, got a solo kill on the king crab though.

Posted Image

I love this thing.

#10 Strength Damage Cliff Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:12 PM

K9 is nice one, however I would also advice to try Street Cleaner (He is much faster than other urbies. I run mine with 1LPL+2ML and 2MGs with just 0.5 ton of ammo, all around 210 LFE engine. With speed tweak, this impenetrable trash can runs at 121.9kmph. Know your maps, learn to retreat as urbie - and become your own tail gunner which can kill anything that might actually chase it successfully.

#11 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostStrength Damage Cliff Racer, on 08 June 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

K9 is nice one, however I would also advice to try Street Cleaner (He is much faster than other urbies. I run mine with 1LPL+2ML and 2MGs with just 0.5 ton of ammo, all around 210 LFE engine. With speed tweak, this impenetrable trash can runs at 121.9kmph. Know your maps, learn to retreat as urbie - and become your own tail gunner which can kill anything that might actually chase it successfully.

I'll get one of those if I ever see the Solaris hero pack go on sale.

#12 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

K-9 urbie is fun with all sorts of loadouts. A fav is either a rac setup for harassing as you mingle with the assaults or a uac2 with 5 er smalls. The med laser fits are nice too if a bit hot especially the mpl fit but if I want a tanky med laser light then the wolfhounds are better options.

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:01 AM

Deputy Dawg with a Riot Gun has fallen in as my favorite for the K9. It's slow enough to deliver that Authentic Urbie Flavor!™ while not being too slow to stick with the team, and enough firepower (and DPS) to contribute to the fight. Yeah, laser-based builds are the meta for the K9... but it just doesn't feel like an Urbie without a big feckin' gun, and a giant shotgun just feels right for the shorter long arm of the law.

#14 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:42 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 01 November 2019 - 12:01 AM, said:

Deputy Dawg with a Riot Gun has fallen in as my favorite for the K9. It's slow enough to deliver that Authentic Urbie Flavor!™ while not being too slow to stick with the team, and enough firepower (and DPS) to contribute to the fight. Yeah, laser-based builds are the meta for the K9... but it just doesn't feel like an Urbie without a big feckin' gun, and a giant shotgun just feels right for the shorter long arm of the law.

Have you considered the Double-Barrelled Deputy Dawg?

Same concept, but instead of a shotgun it has a double-barrelled rifle for big game hunting. Gone are the days when pirates would pilot nothing bigger than a Brigand, nowadays you got to be prepared to take on a Corsair when dispensing justice.

#15 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:19 AM

the Urbi is the only light mech i run. i have 3 of them

UM-K9 (1 RAC/5, 1 ML, 2 ER SLs, running LE-135 and 5 DHS)
UM-R60L(S) (1 LPL,3 ER MLs, 2 MGs, AMS (only 1/2t ammo), running LE-145 and 5 DHS)
UM-R63 (the Annoyance Urbie) (2 LPPCs, 3 HMGs (2t ammo), 1 ML, running LE-180 and 3 DHS)

(i have been thinking of swapping the RAC for an LB/5 after the balance change and then upgrading the lasers or something.)

i love th walking trash can as it is durable and tends to surprise enemies with how many hits it can take. though the arms can be knocked out easily its still a fun mech to play. i have issues with headaches and light mechs that run faster than about 101kph can tend towards giving me a one.

i have been thinking of picking up the R68 and making it into an annoying LRM or MRM mech (you can fit an LRM 20 on it with room for 3 ER SLs, though you are restricted in ammo and engine size. that or 2 SRM 6 and 3 ER MLs).

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 27 July 2021 - 08:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users